Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,487 members, 7,816,152 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Tech Is The New "Oil" Money - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tech Is The New "Oil" Money (34733 Views)

Baking As The New Oil Money / Tech Is The New Gold, Don't Sleep On It!! / Founder Of Mums In Tech Is A Big Name In The UK, But Her Story Started In Yaba A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by patthebulb: 10:08am On Sep 22, 2022
In the same way that oil boomed in the 19th century, tech jobs are booming today.

We're talking about a $4 trillion industry with over 50% growth expected between 2020 and 2025. And guess what? It's not just about coding. Tech jobs are everywhere—from software development to user experience design and project management.

This means there will be plenty of opportunities for people who want to start their career in this field.

But where do you start? What steps should you take? How do you get a job in tech?

Keep this thread active for answers to all these questions

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Solanaa: 10:20am On Sep 22, 2022
patthebulb:
In the same way that oil boomed in the 19th century, tech jobs are booming today.

We're talking about a $4 trillion industry with over 50% growth expected between 2020 and 2025. And guess what? It's not just about coding. Tech jobs are everywhere—from software development to user experience design and project management.

This means there will be plenty of opportunities for people who want to start their career in this field.

But where do you start? What steps should you take? How do you get a job in tech?

Following....
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Nechy45: 12:44pm On Sep 22, 2022
Can a non-science student get into tech? This tech is truly doing wonders
patthebulb:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by jokerr(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2022
Following
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Ckonnet: 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2022
For abroad or here?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by ecomalchemistt(m): 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2022
Not really if you work for Nigerian companies.

I got friends doing no code tech UI / UX and they don't earn more than 100k.

Go figure ?!

Dead that idea that Tech would automatically make you rich...Steve jobs type sh*t.

Modified : Best bet is to gain a hot demand tech skill and work remotely so you earn in forex. > > > > < < <<

56 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by kekakuz(m): 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2022
There are alot of opportunities in tech no doubt but Oil money is still Oil money.do you see the many AY Shafa Filling stations springing up everyday.thry have no plans to improve this country. We cant have power or go green anytime soon.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by patthebulb: 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2022
patthebulb:

According to the recent GDP report by the National Bureau of Statistics, the ICT sector contributed 18.44% to Nigeria’s GDP in the second quarter of 2022, higher than the oil sector. The sector saw a 6.55% growth rate from Q1 2022

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Kizzygentle: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
Actually... I need to learn this.. Please I am in my mid 30s and is it possible to learn and earn from it decently? Were do I start from as a total beginner? Can I also learn from YouTube and how long will it take me if I am very serious about it?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by greatiyk4u(m): 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
H
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by McOluOmo: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
Nice one

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

13 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Fourpockets: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
patthebulb:

I agree
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by MysticM2022: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
Nigeria yet to discover
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
Absolutely
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Skyfornia(m): 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
Time to activate my laptop and learn one or two techs.. this wealth will not pass me by.

Please list the simple money making techs one can learn in a short period of time.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by wwwtortoise(m): 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
Tech will do to conventional jobs what electronic mail did to the post office

My journey into Data Analytics has been insightful and a blessing.

Tech Trivias!

The Firefox logo isn't a fox.

Motorola produced the first handheld mobile phone.

Apple were originally designing an apple shaped flip phone.

Nokia used to sell toilet paper.

Now you know. cool

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2022
Urchins are backward people. They cannot understand.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by kenny714433(m): 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2022
shocked

My little experience in tech space has made me realise it's the big deal.

So I went out to learn Data Analysis to up my skills, I am now good in excel and Power BI. I haven't made any money from Data Analysis yet but I'm still working on getting there.

What I need now is a mentor in the field who can show me the way. In case there's anyone willing to help, I'm a fast learner and you won't regret having me.

Meanwhile, the money my classmates have made from 3D animation, I don't think I have seen any government worker earning like that. Just his PC costs him almost 2 million. He owns 2 luxury cars with his own duplex. And a young guy of 25yrs at most....
Modified: Any tech guy that works for Nigerian firm is either ignorant or plain stupid. So the issue of underpayment is out of it.

74 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by fitinwell: 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2022
Tech is yet to be fully Adopted in West Africa.., So Nigeria still have a Long Way to Go...

Yes if you talk about Outside Nigeria.

They Value not only Tech Guys,.. but expertise any profession in as much you are very skillful in your Area..

Nigeria ass No respect for skilled Brains ooo..

If Nigeria people discover sey you sabi the work well... Them go over use and under pay you join...

49 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Johnrake69: 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2022
Fact
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by JoshTim: 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2022
Any body with a YouTube link for good excel for data analysis video. Please please.

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by masui(m): 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2022
Following

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2022
Urchins won't understand. Oloriburuku alagbado people

12 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by blamingthedevil: 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2022
Not really

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Redstubpen: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2022
I'm very open to learn.... cool
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by TechGallery: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2022
This is nothing but the truth. It takes consistent learning and persistent self building before you hammer. Unfortunately, many give up too early. I got two foreign jobs this year and everything changed suddenly after 4 years of coding for local coys. Nothing like earning in dollars while in 9ja. cool
Don't give up if you choose the path.

101 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Fedrick100: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2022
I want to go into tech but am confused on the one to learn
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by qanda: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2022
HOW I SWITCHED CAREER TO SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT AND SECURED A FOREIGN REMOTE JOB.
…..After 8 Years Telecoms Engineering Career.

It is often said that Tech is the new oil and the future of work. The interest in a tech career has reached new heights in recent times due to the exciting opportunity of living in Nigeria and earning in foreign currency via remote work. As exciting as a remote job is, it takes determination to secure one. Here is an account of my transition to tech and remote work.

Upon graduation as an Electrical Engineer, my ambition was to practice my engineering craft in a multinational oil and gas or telecommunication firm. My career dream was fulfilled as I got employed by one of the Nigerian GSM operators shortly after graduation.

I had an engaging career as a telecoms engineer, but I needed more fulfilment and a better career prospect. I met a software developer at a friend’s wedding who enlightened me about his job and spoke about the prospects and financial gain. After meeting with the developer, I resolved to learn to code.

I started learning java using E-books. A notable E-book I used was: Java for dummies by Wiley Brand. It took a lot of effort and practice to grasp the OOP concepts. Several months into learning java, I decided to enrol for the Oracle Certified Associate Java Professional (OCAJP) exam to validate my skills. Preparations for the exam, lead to more research on java and a deep dive into algorithms. I wrote the Java exam in July 2015 and passed.

I took a break from coding for two years to focus on a master's degree. I however resumed and decided to learn android development after I connected with a senior android developer, who later became my mentor. I used the Newboston tutorial on youtube to learn android development. My experience in Java made it easier to learn android. However, I encountered a lot of brick walls along the way and I had to consult my senior android developer mentor. There were several times I almost gave up after encountering challenges, but I somehow managed to pull through. I did all my training while maintaining a full-time job as a telecoms engineer. I had to study and code in very uncomfortable and extreme conditions even while on active work responsibilities.

I needed to validate my skills with android projects and I needed a backend for the project. So I picked up PHP/MYSQL training. I went ahead to build the frontend and backend of a fully functional android app and hosted it on the google play store. Building a fully functional portfolio app was an integral part of my learning, as I had to learn several concepts, frameworks and best practices along the way.

In 2019, I decided to make a career switch to full-time software development. It was a very daunting task as all my over eight years of work experience was in telecoms engineering. It was difficult to prove that I had experience in software development even despite having a portfolio of a functional app. I kept applying for jobs for up to 2 years. While at it, I was taking up app development gigs. I wrote several tests and had several interviews until I finally got a job offer in 2021 with a Nigerian tech start-up. Job search could be very draining, but my advice to job seekers is never to give up. Keep honing your skills, take feedback from the interview process, and invest in constant CV review.

After working in the Nigerian startup for about 6 months, I decided to attempt the big one, which is a foreign remote Job. With my now relevant over 6 months full-time experience, I reshaped my CV and managed to present 5 years’ experience by framing my side gigs into experience. Getting a remote job is even more difficult than a local job, as you are competing with nationals from all over the world for the same opportunity. My focus was on android development and the recruitment process usually involved algorithm test and building a live project. I used LinkedIn a lot for my applications by setting notifications for android developer roles. I had several reject messages and frustration was setting in until I finally landed my first remote Job in April 2022.

The remote working experience is the dream of every software developer. It is a very herculean task and takes a lot of persistence and constant honing of your craft. It is however easier to get another remote job after the first. I am on my second remote job at the time of writing this article.

My advice to newbies in tech are as follows:

Read the full article and engage the author at the job test section (general subcategory) of Q and A App.

Install Q and A App on Playstore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Searchingvictor: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2022
Ho

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

N-power Beneficiaries Threaten To Go On Strike Over Non-Payment Of Allowances / My Boss Calls Me All The Time. / Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.