Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,309 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice (34305 Views)

University Of Ibadan:msc. Professional Masters Degree In FORENSIC SCIENCE / Is A Phd Possible With A Professional Masters? / HELP! Professional Masters And Reseach Masters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by sheyguy: 10:05pm On Aug 13, 2011
Hello NLders, i am thinking of going for professional masters instead conventional Academic masters which enable you go 4 PHD. I need your opinion on the two options as i know very little about what their differences and advantages are. please advise me based on their prospect for job opportunities and Career fulfillment. Pls i need ur guys to guide me or better yet give me tips about them(Professional masters and Academic masters).
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by davmor(m): 9:40pm On Sep 07, 2011
No Idea from me, am sorry. But I think you can search with www.google.com.ng.

Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by chamber2(m): 1:22am On Sep 08, 2011
sheyguy:

Hello NLders, i am thinking of going for professional masters instead conventional Academic masters which enable you go 4 PHD. I need your opinion on the two options as i know very little about what their differences and advantages are. please advise me based on their prospect for job opportunities and Career fulfillment. Pls i need your guys to guide me or better yet give me tips about them(Professional masters and Academic masters).

Which course and where do you want to work thereafter?
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by sheyguy: 1:04am On Sep 10, 2011
Computer Science. i intend to get an IT job with it
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 1:06am On Sep 10, 2011
sheyguy:

Computer Science. i intend to get an IT job with it

then get a pro masters. an academic masters is 6 months longer and not relevant to your own job pursuit.

2 Likes

Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by OmoTier1(m): 8:33am On Sep 10, 2011
For me what matter most for a Master's degree is the content and the broad nature of the course of study.

Personally, from experience, I would recommend Academic masters over professional (industrial)Masters especially in the area of IT & Engineering.

Academic masters gives you that broad knowledge you require to become a 'leader' in your field and more recently in the UK, Academic Masters have been rejigged to have atleast 20% management + 60% Technical + 20% group simulated activity.This no doubt gives you the flexibility you need to be able to negotiate your professional progression.

However, it all boils down to why you need the Masters degree. I know too well in Nigeria, degrees are mainly for monetary reward as in position to be occupied rather than the quest for the individual to broaden knowledge and develop technical competence or otherwise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Dgunnerz(m): 8:55am On Sep 10, 2011
davmor:

No Idea from me, am sorry. But I think you can search with www.google.com.ng.
Same here,
Obviously,Google is unable to profer solution to this question,that's why the OP is asking here.

1 Like

Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by jaydenbash: 9:07am On Sep 10, 2011
Professional Masters is a terminal degree while Academic Masters is a step towards a PhD.

It depends on what you want to do afterwards. If you intend to leave the university environment completely and work in the industry then go for Professional Masters. If you intend to continue in the university/academic environment, doing research and things like that then go for Academic Masters.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Anvaller: 9:36am On Sep 10, 2011
jaydenbash:

Professional Masters is a terminal degree while Academic Masters is a step towards a PhD.

It depends on what you want to do afterwards. If you intend to leave the university environment completely and work in the industry then go for Professional Masters. If you intend to continue in the university/academic environment, doing research and things like that then go for Academic Masters.

Cheers!

As you might be right that professional master is terminal, such conclusion can however not be definite. If after some time a professional degree holder is willing to switch back to academics and research, you may go for an advanced master and get back on track from there.
It may interest you to know that even an academic bachelor degree could be (in some cases) a sufficient prerequisite for a phd research. May be never possible in Nigeria because our edu system is very archaic and stiff.

@OP just like Jaydenbash has put it. If u are considering Phd somewhere in the corner of your mind, better do academic master, its a means to fast-tracking your way there but if not, U may go for professional master as it is also a means to fast-tracking your way your dream job.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by ochukoccna: 10:39am On Sep 10, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

For me what matter most for a Master's degree is the content and the broad nature of the course of study.

Personally, from experience, I would recommend Academic masters over professional (industrial)Masters especially in the area of IT & Engineering.

Academic masters gives you that broad knowledge you require to become a 'leader' in your field and more recently in the UK, Academic Masters have been rejigged to have atleast 20% management + 60% Technical + 20% group simulated activity.This no doubt gives you the flexibility you need to be able to negotiate your professional progression.

However, it all boils down to why you need the Masters degree. I know too well in Nigeria, degrees are mainly for monetary reward as in position to be occupied rather than the quest for the individual to broaden knowledge and develop technical competence or otherwise.

I support the above
Personally, I have this conundrum too but have decided to go the Academic masters route as opposed to an professional Masters in IT Security.
Just my two cents.
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by iwonbaoko1: 11:33am On Sep 10, 2011
really i have never heard this before what is a professional masters
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by sheyguy: 10:05pm On Sep 10, 2011
I want thank you all for your various advices so far. i am beginning to see the pros and cons of both types of masters degree.
I think in the context of Nigeria academic masters could be favoured over professional masters due to the practical orientation of professional masters, or what do u guys think?
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by mide14(f): 10:18am On Sep 12, 2011
Even i am hearing this difference for the 1st time. DO dey differentiate even in naija? Or it's mainly outside naija dat dis is relevant.
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by chamber2(m): 11:20am On Sep 12, 2011
Just as someone pointed out, professional masters degree are most times "terminal," which means that they tend to give the highest qualification level in their field.An example of professional master's degrees include the Master in banking and Finance (MBF)and the Master of Business Administration (MBA).professional master's degrees teach career-oriented skills and people who earn professional degrees usually enter the workforce right after graduation.So, it focuses on job skills.

This is opposed to the academic masters degree which focuses on teaching and research.For instance Masters of sci in Economics etc.In the course of the programme you are likely to be invovled in field research, take courses in your specialty, and prepare an original thesis.So, this degree is suitable for people who wish to have a PhD in their area of specialty.

However, the line between professional and academic masters in becoming difficult to draw. For instance, those who completed an MBA are also required to submit a thesis report in most universities and majority have successfully built a career in research organisations, including the universities.

in the case of the poster, he intends to work in an IT firm thereafter.I think a professional masters degree will be okay in this instance. I will advise you get a professional masters while taking other professional IT certifications.

7 Likes

Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Aibukis(m): 3:43pm On May 15, 2015
Your comments made sense and was useful.
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by HAH: 9:31am On Oct 02, 2016
iwonbaoko1:
really i have never heard this before what is a professional masters

Eg MBA, MPA, MILR, MBF etc
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by ustavo(m): 9:52am On Oct 02, 2016
interesting...
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by vinceman212: 10:05am On Oct 25, 2016
Pls,I Want to ask:Can I lecture with a professional masters?
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Mclaytuah(m): 3:06pm On Jul 22, 2017
All your comments have been helpful
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by uchman(m): 5:39am On Sep 25, 2017
Am getting confused here...
Please professional masters(Taught) and Academia masters(Research) you mean?

It's like most schools in Asia does Academia while Us,Uk, Canada Professional...
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by daisyfaith: 11:55am On Jun 28, 2018
Be it company press release, promotional press release or product press release, our high-quality SEO press release writing service help you stand out.
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by PrinceVM(m): 3:28pm On Jan 10, 2019
pls after getting professional master can one further is education
n if not is one expected to now go n do an academic master b4 dat
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 10, 2019
vinceman212:
Pls,I Want to ask:Can I lecture with a professional masters?
No....except as a visiting lecturer
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Damolux01(m): 11:14am On Jan 13, 2019
Well detailed. Thanks guys!
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 08, 2020
Prof. M.SC= how to scale a 10-foot fence.

Acad. MSC= making the world know if size of knee influences fence-scaling.
Re: Professional Masters Vs Academic Masters? Pls I Need Ur Advice by emmajames02: 1:03pm On Apr 06
Choosing between a Professional Master's and an Academic Master's is crucial. As for assignment help, The Assignment Desk offers expert assistance with plagiarism-free content and a built-in grammar checker, ensuring top-notch quality. Elevate your academic performance with our reliable services. Trust us for unmatched support in your educational journey.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Most Brilliant Guys/Ladies Use Glasses? / The 'difference Between Traveling And Travelling' You Must Know! / Laspotech Security Killed By Cultists Today (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.