Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,742 members, 7,851,558 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:48 PM

Uk Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Uk Graduates (1470 Views)

Career Training And Programme For Fresh Graduates. / Guinness Nigeria Recruits Graduates / Workforce Management Centre Massive Recruitment For OND & HND Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Graduates by coolminded(m): 9:09pm On Aug 19, 2007
How can we go about findin' jobs in nigeria?

do we need to do nysc?

I know of a friend that didnt do and got a job!
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 9:15pm On Aug 19, 2007
THANKS! I WAS JUST GOING TO ASK THE SAME QUESTION!

I know there is going to be an exhibition for nigerians in Diaspora to find vacancies in Nigeria by JINE but this is from 12th-15th of DECMBER. It is a bit far for me. Any advice on how to apply for jobs directly to employers before then? Nairaland users we need your help oh!
Re: Uk Graduates by samix(m): 2:27am On Aug 20, 2007
people want to come there and you guys are thinking about coming back to nigeria. what an irony of life. anyways just visit the sites of the company and apply
Re: Uk Graduates by atirieri(m): 8:54am On Aug 20, 2007
u can apply thru d company's site,i.e posting ur cv on there career site;especially those multi-national coy!
if u are in d oil/gas or engineering field,u can post ur resume on ds site www.oilngasjob.com
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2007
oh yeah and you can do nysc with your company usually but I think there are also ways to gain exemption.

@atieri and samix - thanks, but can I ask if anyone thinks people are hesitant about employing people from overseas?

I know it is ironic isn't it? Well I figure I am going to live in Nigeria some day, so its better for me to try now whilst I'm young and adaptable and have alot to offer than just to go there to retire.
Re: Uk Graduates by coolminded(m): 1:52pm On Aug 20, 2007
A quick question again?Why is it always about Oil companies?
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 1:55pm On Aug 20, 2007
lol. Yeah I know they get so much exposure in the job section. But it seems that is the highest paying private sector in Nigeria with most vacancies also so every1 of course is eager to join one of them.

What type of job are you looking for? What is your qualification or experience?
Re: Uk Graduates by coolminded(m): 5:17pm On Aug 20, 2007
Studied Busiess and Mathematics with a 1st class, No experience yet though, Thinking of doin my masters and MBA which i think would increase d pay rate abi?
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 7:44pm On Aug 20, 2007
Yes they probably would increase your chances of being paid more! But, with your degree's subject and class you should be fought over anyway I should think!

Guess it depends on why you want to come to Nigeria. Someone told me of a girl who did an MBA with no experience who was educated in Nigeria (but went abroad to do the MBA) she commanded a salary in Naija of £96,000! I am not sure though if this was because it was an MBA or because she was educated abroad. It is quite unfair to those educated in Nigeria that you should receive more money simply because you were educated abroad, but then I guess it is a way of bringing people back home. Perhaps if you apply for can enquire about salaries for MBA holders you will know if it is worth it.

I have a 2.1 degree in Biomedical Science but I have quite a bit of expreience and I am currentyl a financial analyst so hopefully this will be all I need I have no problem with taking further degrees apart from cost and the fact it will delay me going to Naija. So what is it that is most important to you? There is no guarantee you will get more with MBA/MSc though it is extremely likely but dats atleast a year away to come to Naija.
Re: Uk Graduates by coolminded(m): 7:49pm On Aug 20, 2007
Too much competitions in the UK yu know!!!have been nearly on every websites but still no replied from this companies, Hw did yu come about the financial analyst ?Yu must have wrked very hard 2 get d job?What uni did yu finished frm?96000 is what us bois spend on drinks in jand now
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 8:18pm On Aug 20, 2007
coolminded:

Too much competitions in the UK yu know!!!have been nearly on every websites but still no replied from this companies, Hw did yu come about the financial analyst ?Yu must have wrked very hard 2 get d job?What uni did yu finished frm?96000 is what us bois spend on drinks in jand now

Abeg don't deceive yourself! lol. Anyway that is the highest I have heard ever for entry level and it most probably is not even true. So if money is what is most important then sorry oh! No but in cost of living you could live extremely well apparently in Nigeria on £6,000 a year (that includes food, travel, accomodation, personal care, clubbing, drinks etc). So what would you do with the rest of the £90,000. Plus if tax is only 16% for those who even decided to pay it means you are living extremely well.

I went to St. Geogre's Hospital Medical School in London. Yes I applied for many jobs before I got this one and it was indeed hard work but everything in life that is worth it usually is. Just keep your head up and keep on sending out those letters! Maybe you should try windsor fellowship passport to employment, they help people with interview and CV skills and also give you a mentor and try to help you get a six month internship!

Boost your CV by doing extracurricular things, learning a language or adding a professional qualification in the field you want to go into. Randomly call up offices and ask employees how they got their job. Why they chose it, things that you could put to use either in your CV and covering letter or in an interview. Read, read and read about the industry, job, business etc. It's all hard work man I know but it should be the same everywhere I dont think it wouold be any easier in Naija (unless u have connections). But I just feel I need to be around my people so dats why I would go back.

What types of jobs did u apply for in UK anyway?
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 8:29pm On Aug 20, 2007
http://www.es-africa.com

Register with them, specifically for those abroad.
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 9:40pm On Aug 21, 2007
Site seems to need some work though.
Re: Uk Graduates by coolminded(m): 9:58pm On Aug 21, 2007
Tanx men
Re: Uk Graduates by atirieri(m): 9:15am On Aug 22, 2007
@ Ell77
I have a 2.1 degree in Biomedical Science but I have quite a bit of expreience and I am currentyl a financial analyst

just thinkin!
Re: Uk Graduates by RobbieLex: 12:00pm On Aug 22, 2007
if you are planning on coming back to Nigeria to work i advise that you do nysc, especially if you want to work with one of the multinationals and if you are gunning for an oil company, except for the three terrible weeks at camp you'll be ok, trust me you haven little to worry about, getting an msc or mba will not increase your chances of getting a higher salary, neither will your G.P.A,  actually except you have relevant work experience you'll end up starting as an entry level staff, it will probarbly come in handy much later when you're nominated fr a promotion or something, anyway good luck with all that
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 7:32pm On Aug 22, 2007
@Atieri -thinking about what?

@Robbie Lex - thanks do you know many diasporans who did NYSC? Anyway, how does it work, I was all for it b4 but when I heard many Naija's bashing its use it put me off. But can't you do NYSC whilst working for major companies, I heard you can.
Re: Uk Graduates by RobbieLex: 10:13am On Aug 23, 2007
Yes of course you can, the good thing is a graduate from disapora can choose where he or she wants to serve and most of them opt for lagos abuja or potharcourt, the way it was done in my camp all you need is a request letter from a company and nysc will post you there after the three weeks training, there where lots of foriegn students in my camp and its really not that BAD,
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 12:19pm On Aug 23, 2007
Okay, that sounds cool. Thanx for the info!

So if you are in a camp but working for a company, how does it work? Do you live in the camp but work at the company do you do the military type drills still?
Re: Uk Graduates by RobbieLex: 2:35pm On Aug 23, 2007
oh, let me give you a brief breakdown

first up there's the three weeks camp, with the "so called" military drills, waking up at crazy hours, getting meet all sorts of people, it's kind of fun depending on how you look at it.

Then after camp everybody gets posted to their place of primary assignment ( Thats where you work during the year) some are lucky to get posted to banks, and other companies while some others end up in primary schools, which isn't that bad depending on what you want. Most people get letters of requests if they already have companies willing to take them. (You get to stay where ever you like after camp, your house an apartment, wherever, )

For the rest of the year, you work in your PPA and report to your local government area in the state you are serving for community development. Hope that clarifies everything.
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 6:10pm On Aug 23, 2007
@Robbie Lex, wow thanks for the info! I think that is all I needed to know really. I did sound like it could be fun, as in you will probably bond with many people and become fitter than you've ever been! Plus if it is just for 3 weeks rather than the whole 9 months then it is bearable expecially if you go and do an office job after right?

I think they have two batches also - Batch A for March and Batch B for September right? That means I must have missed the deadline for September and probably march this year too right, cos I hear grads are being delayed entry into the service all the time, or is there a difference if you come from overseas or have an employer lined up?

I heard NYSC is important if you want to work in the government one day also, is this true?

Also really sorry about these questions, but what is PPA? Is it Programme Partnership Agreement as in whoever you are working for?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!
Re: Uk Graduates by TheOne2(m): 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2007
@ell77

Give me a call on xxxxxxxxxxxx to get answers to all your questions about NYSC. It is surprising that you are a Nigerian and you don't know much about it.
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 7:41pm On Aug 23, 2007
@The one. I know I should no more, but because I have never lived in Nigeria I can't find out directly from organisers, whenever i checked websites they were either not working or did not have all the specific details Robbie outlined. SO I asked people who experienced it (my parents) and they would just tell me it is very  hard, you do military training can get sent to places like Kano etc to teach in schools. They themselves said they think some people could work in offices etc but did not know how to go about doing that, they've been in this country over 25 years so I guess things have changed. Don't think they even want me to do it.

Thanks for your help though, but I think right now I would like to find a job first then atleast I would have a place to do nysc if necessary. It depends, did you find it useful at all. Also why did you you do your NYSC then return to UK or did u not do it, is your knowledge based on other people's experiences? Please enlighten all of us! Thanx alot!
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 8:08pm On Aug 23, 2007
@Robbie - The penny just dropped!

PPA MEANS - place of primary assignment!
Re: Uk Graduates by TheOne2(m): 9:11pm On Aug 23, 2007
@ell77

I hope that was informative enough. Never mind that I was caught between 2 things. I've taken down my number. I guess we can talk about your choices for PPA later.

Cheers
Re: Uk Graduates by ell77(f): 9:19pm On Aug 23, 2007
Thanks alot the one! I know what you mean, I am constantly doing 2 things at once like surfing net, chatting to friends on phone and cooking saomething. lol. guess we call it a skill (multitasking). Take care!

(1) (Reply)

Executive Trainees / Vacancy For Administrative Secretary Position In An Interior Design Company / Start Your Own High Tech Instant Photo Printing Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.