Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad (3276 Views)

Thinking Of Relocating Back To Nigeria From Canada / Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family / Planning Of Relocating From North To The South West. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by RealGandalf: 9:44pm On Sep 29, 2022
1. People who relocate abroad, when their strength start to fail them, what next? Relocate back home or stay behind to continue the hustling?

2. Distance from family: When people relocate abroad, the chances of seeing their loved ones physically until some of them dies becomes nearly impossible. Video calls are not enough.

3. Some people lose touch with their lineage and roots. They become alien to their culture and heritage, especially their children. They adopt another people's identity and there goes the end of their lineages.

4. Loneliness: Many European and American societies are designed to make people lonely. Especially the elderly. That is why they have homes for the elderly and hire caregivers to tend to their needs.

Many old people lost touch with their loved ones and often pass away feeling cold and empty.

5. Owning properties: Unlike African societies where people can easily buy lands and erect buildings, the societies in the abroad are designed to make people run after mortgages and continue to pay for nearly a lifetime.

If only the Nigerian politicians are God fearing, all the people leaving the country in droves will stay behind and live life to the fullest.

You can add your own.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Munachimso30(m): 9:47pm On Sep 29, 2022
The truth is no place like home but we gat no option

1 Like

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Munamoqel: 9:47pm On Sep 29, 2022
Been at the bottom of the food chain ,working miserable care jobs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by MatrixReloaded: 9:50pm On Sep 29, 2022
Well I can assure you that with a resident permit uptown , you won't give a damn shithole about whole Africa continent.

10 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:52pm On Sep 29, 2022
RealGandalf:
1. People who relocate abroad, when their strength start to fail them, what next? Relocate back home or stay behind to continue the hustling?

2. Distance from family: When people relocate abroad, the chances of seeing their loved ones physically until some of them dies becomes nearly impossible. Video calls are not enough.

3. Some people lose touch with their lineage and roots. They become alien to their culture and heritage, especially their children. They adopt another people's identity and there goes the end of their lineages.

4. Loneliness: Many European and American societies are designed to make people lonely. Especially the elderly. That is why they have homes for the elderly and hire caregivers to tend to their needs.

Many old people lost touch with their loved ones and often pass away feeling cold and empty.

5. Owning properties: Unlike African societies where people can easily buy lands and erect buildings, the societies in the abroad are designed to make people run after mortgages and continue to pay for nearly a lifetime.

If only the Nigerian politicians are God fearing, all the people leaving the country in droves will stay behind and live life to the fullest.

You can add your own.

Where and when did you relocate abroad, OP? How long did you live abroad? When did you return to Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Snitch24(m): 9:54pm On Sep 29, 2022
theres nothing you can tell me
i dont like it here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by ITbomb(m): 10:46pm On Sep 29, 2022
You will not be able to eat agbado, cassava and something else
Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Bankowner: 11:08pm On Sep 29, 2022
Please help me ask him o!

The energy the OP used to highlight the disadvantages of relocating abroad, let him use same to tell us about the advantages. Then and only then, can people make informed decisions.

Besides, going abroad is a personal thing. You weigh the cost and the benefit and make your choice. As for me, being out of Nigeria pays me better, life here isn't a bed of roses but if you know what you're doing, you'll live a comfortable life.

1stGenAmerican:

Where and when did you relocate abroad, OP? How long did you live abroad? When did you return to Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by ednut1(m): 12:25am On Sep 30, 2022
I used to be team come back to Nigeria after a while. Was in Nigeria for 3 weeks this year. I concluded that Nigeria is no longer for me. All these ones you listed cannot trump good quality of life, constant light, security, economic stability , poor health care etc. even the children of the elite stay abroad mostly. Atiku lives in dubai even first lady ran to dubai. Are you wiser than them

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by KlausMike(m): 1:18am On Sep 30, 2022
Abroad life sweet me abeg! 4+ years and counting grin

Leave story, naija na HQ for suffer!

10 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 4:15am On Sep 30, 2022
ednut1:
I used to be team come back to Nigeria after a while. Was in Nigeria for 3 weeks this year. I concluded that Nigeria is no longer for me. All these ones you listed cannot trump good quality of life, constant light, security, economic stability , poor health care etc. even the children of the elite stay abroad mostly. Atiku lives in dubai even first lady ran to dubai. Are you wiser than them

This is the thing that amuses me...the children of the elites have second citizenships and reside outside Nigeria, why then do they think the society at home is good/conducive to live in? I don't rate any society where the vast majority of her elites and their families either have second citizenships and/or reside for a longer period of their lives outside that society.

@Topic: the only thing I might agree with is the issue of self-identity. That is, children who are black are bred in a predominately non-black society esp if both parents grew up in a predominately black society. In such a scenario, the children or even the parent(s) can relocate to a functioning black society either to live or retire. However, the vast majority of black dominant societies are effortlessly poor, thus, the offspring of those who relocated don't get to move to such places (humans rate economic livelihood if things become worse). In contrast, it is their parents who retire to those places. But then, Nigeria is out of my list. Better Namibia, Barbados or Botswana.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by franchasofficia: 5:15am On Sep 30, 2022
Cassava garri ewa ehen grin

1 Like

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by drmuchin: 6:19am On Sep 30, 2022
Every disadvantage is a blessing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Greystone: 7:22am On Sep 30, 2022
For every decision we make, the pros and cons have to be considered.
Truthfully, if I do relocate out of Nigeria, the main reasons will be the horrible state of insecurity and little hope for the general improvement of the quality of life in Nigeria.
God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by RealGandalf: 8:29am On Sep 30, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I am in Nigeria. Only flown out once and returned a week later.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by RealGandalf: 8:31am On Sep 30, 2022
Greystone:
For every decision we make, the pros and cons have to be considered.
Truthfully, if I do relocate out of Nigeria, the main reasons will be the horrible state of insecurity and little hope for the general improvement of the quality of life in Nigeria.
God help us all.

If not that our politicians are demonic, we will only need to travel for vacations.

It is a shame that Nigerians see moving abroad as achievement.

5 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by nwwzz: 9:38am On Sep 30, 2022
Yes that one about family is hard

Especially if you have aging parents and unreliable extended family

Yes you can keep sending Dollars and Euros but their personal day to day affairs & health is something else

Even something as simple as someone accompanying them to appointments & handling their official stuff

Complicated situation
_____

My friend & her siblings moved to USA & Canada

Her father passed.

Her mother was okay for a long time. Active widow with nieces around her.

She developed dementia
Slowly things became complicated. Yhe kids could visit but had to return to the West for their personal lives.

At one point the widow was taken to strange doctors for her mental issue. The kids tried to supervise her life while overseas.

Did not work.

Eventually she died. The kids in the West got a.phone call.
After the funeral they went back.

Her compound in the village is there growing weeds because none of the kids want to relocate to Africa because of these messed up conditions we are living in.

The girl & her siblings out there told me life is stressful & they are not happy, but they would rather stay there than return here.

Complicated life.

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Kaycee54321(m): 9:55am On Sep 30, 2022
Really struggling to find a disadvantage...

My friends scattered all over Norway, UK, Canada and even US (where I personally wouldn't want to relocate to) have never spoken of returning back to Naija permanently.
Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Oladeji245(m): 10:18am On Sep 30, 2022
ednut1:
Ok we get it sir. Nigeria is an unfortunate country in which nobody can ever succeed. Infact those seem to succeeding in the country are still very unfortunate therefore they must find every means to to leave the country and join you in Canada before people like you can accept they are have now successful because there is absolutely nothing good about the country until one leaves.
I must tell you bro you’re becoming an irritant on this forum and you need to take a break from posting shits up and down.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by ednut1(m): 10:27am On Sep 30, 2022
Oladeji245:

Ok we get it sir. Nigeria is an unfortunate country in which nobody can ever succeed. Infact those seem to succeeding in the country are still very unfortunate therefore they must find every means to to leave the country and join you in Canada before people like you can accept they are have now successful because there is absolutely nothing good about the country until one leaves.
I must tell you bro you’re becoming an irritant on this forum and you need to take a break from posting shits up and down.
you can ignore my post. I clearly was speaking for myself not anyone else. As much as i want anyone that wants Canada to come , reality is many Nigerians cant meet the requirements as its not competitive . I’m not responsible for your frustrations you hear.

This is you here https://www.nairaland.com/6000158/need-advise-plscan-should-travel. This is also you below .We know una type.

3 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Oladeji245(m): 10:32am On Sep 30, 2022
Kaycee54321:
Really struggling to find a disadvantage...

My friends scattered all over Norway, UK, Canada and even US (where I personally wouldn't want to relocate to) have never spoken of returning back to Naija permanently.
Because they have nothing to return to.
I know a person,presently,a colleague of mine who is actually doing pretty well.
Got to know through an agent that has connections with both of us he has put some property up for sale...to japaa. Though he haven’t told any of us,even though he has left his office.
Selling properties,giving up career that take years to build to japaa with family on a UK study Visa?
It will never make sense to me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Oladeji245(m): 10:52am On Sep 30, 2022
ednut1:
you can ignore my post. I clearly was speaking for myself not anyone else. As much as i want anyone that wants Canada to come , reality is many Nigerians cant meet the requirements as its not competitive . I’m not responsible for your frustrations you hear.

This is you here https://www.nairaland.com/6000158/need-advise-plscan-should-travel. We know una type
I was helping someone make enquiry shee gboo sir.

My wife is a nurse and is in UK and has been on my neck for nearly two years now to join her...infact she was still home from may ending to June ending to spend her leave in Nigeria and I just keep deceiving her that I will come because she cries every time when she sees I’m not even taking the matter seriously. So bro I have one of the easiest route abroad if I want to take it.
Why would I leave? For what exactly? I’m not rich but I’m extremely comfortable here. I’m thriving in my profession and I know the sky is my limit...and my profession only sells in Nigeria,Nigeria is where the market of my profession is unless I want to change career.
Why should I leave all these to uncertainty just because majority of the population has been configured to believe they can only make it outside Nigeria and for those who are even doing well,they have been made to believe they could have it better.
The apparent truth is that majority of migrants are struggling there especially those with no necessary skills like my wife or someone who is tech or maybe banking. For majority of the rest,it is struggle continues.
One of my colleagues we started together is in the same Canada doing Uber....
And the way you talk of Canada sef,the same Canada where a vast majority of the migrants including those even born in Canada are struggling real hard and a lot of people are even tryna run away and find means of leaving the country.
I hate the way you always paint the country like if people ain’t succeeding in it and the people succeeding in it are somehow doomed until they leave.
I’m in Osogbo,the electricity is decent, the security is good,the standard of life is good to decent,very good roads and I live in the cozy halleluyah estate.and my life is good.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by ednut1(m): 10:55am On Sep 30, 2022
Oladeji245:

My wife is a nurse and is in UK and has been on my neck for nearly two years now to join her...infact she was still home from may ending to June ending to spend her leave in Nigeria and as much as I just keep deceiving her that I will come because she cries every time when she sees I’m not even taking the matter seriously. So bro I have one of the easiest route abroad if I want to take it.
Why would I leave? For what exactly? I’m not rich but I’m extremely comfortable here. I’m thriving in my profession and I know the sky is my limit...and my profession only sells in Nigeria,Nigeria is where the market of my profession is unless I want to change career.
Why should I leave all these to uncertainty just because majority of the population has been configured to believe they can only make it outside Nigeria and for those who are even doing well,they have been made to believe they could have it better.
The apparent truth is that majority of migrants are struggling there especially those with no necessary skills like my wife or someone who is tech or maybe banking. For majority of the rest,it is struggle continues.
And the way you talk of Canada sef,the same Canada where a vast majority of the migrants including those even born in Canada are struggling real hard and a lot of people are even tryna run away and find means of leaving the country.
I hate the way you always paint the country like if people ain’t succeeding in it and the people succeeding in it are somehow doomed until they leave.
I’m in Osogbo,the electricity is decent, the security is good,the standard of life is good to decent,very good roads and I leave in the cozy halleluyah estate.and my life is good.
like i said you can ignore my posts. I didn’t make it for you. I never said people are not making it in Nigeria. Keep consoling yourself say no be you get the posts lol

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Oladeji245(m): 11:04am On Sep 30, 2022
ednut1:
like i said you can ignore my posts. I didn’t make it for you. I never said people are not making it in Nigeria.
When you glorify your Canada like you always do, also let people know the piles of challenges they will certainly face there......... it’s not a bed of roses anywhere. Don’t just launder and talk about the good side.
Atleast as somebody that is so knowledgeable I can identify and affirm that majority of what the Op post about the disadvantages of going abroad is true and even more.
But of course majority of Nigerians only want to hear bad news about the country and posts like that of the op is irritating to them.
And the way you abroadians always attack these kind of posts is something else.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Oladeji245(m): 11:07am On Sep 30, 2022
ednut1:
like i said you can ignore my posts. I didn’t make it for you. I never said people are not making it in Nigeria. Keep consoling yourself say no be you get the posts lol
Well the post ain’t for me. It’s for someone who is not really internet savvy and needs info. Thats after doing my best to tell him it does not make sense at that time to leave permanently.
Sheybi he don Dey the USA Dey complain say things no easy. Hopefully it gets better for him soon.
So kee rest sir.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Munamoqel: 12:01pm On Sep 30, 2022
Oladeji245:

My wife is a nurse and is in UK and has been on my neck for nearly two years now to join her...infact she was still home from may ending to June ending to spend her leave in Nigeria and as much as I just keep deceiving her that I will come because she cries every time when she sees I’m not even taking the matter seriously. So bro I have one of the easiest route abroad if I want to take it.
I’m in Osogbo,the electricity is decent, the security is good,the standard of life is good to decent,very good roads and I leave in the cozy halleluyah estate.and my life is good.
the chap is confused .why would any person sell his house ,resign from his job to move to Canada to do Uber and manage inside basement apartment or shared apartment .Dem swear for una ! PhD holder are riding cabs cos they say they don't have Canadian work expirence . Some body go get apartment to wuse ,lekki and dey managerial level then leave all go start Uber and basement apartment no be juju be that how year man wan live self .

3 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Munamoqel: 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2022
Oladeji245:

When you glorify your Canada like you always do, also let people know the piles of challenges they will certainly face there......... it’s not a bed of roses anywhere. Don’t just launder and talk about the good side.
Atleast as somebody that is so knowledgeable I can identify and affirm that majority of what the Op post about the disadvantages of going abroad is true and even more.
But of course majority of Nigerians only want to hear bad news about the country and posts like that of the op is irritating to them.
And the way you abroadians always attack these kind of posts is something else.
the counter post is made to make the uninformed informed cos travel agent and credit living Nigerians put a false narratives of a perfect place ! They wouldn't tell you the negatives side ! How can you explain a lady resigned for her job in British council Nigeria band 9 pay 18,000,000 per annum now doing care work in the uk while study human resource .any way she coming back Sha after tasting the bitter side of uk

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Oladeji245(m): 1:12pm On Sep 30, 2022
Munamoqel:
the chap is confused .why would any person sell his house ,resign from his job to move to Canada to do Uber and manage inside basement apartment or shared apartment .Dem swear for una ! PhD holder are riding cabs cos they say they don't have Canadian work expirence . Some body go get apartment to wuse ,lekki and dey managerial level then leave all go start Uber and basement apartment no be juju be that how year man wan live self .
My wife was threatening me with divorce and all sorts of threat when she saw I’m not even taking her serious about relocating with her.
She even complained to my dad and mum and her parents as well and they all said I should go and join her.
Even some of my colleagues (well I don’t blame them)
are saying same thing and one of them will leave soon for Uk on Study visa(even though he doesn’t know I am aware) through a property agent I got to know he has put up some things for sale. That’s nothing but madness to me.
I might not be rich but bro I am so comfortable here and I’ve not even reached the top of my career, I started only seven years ago.
Why then should I leave all these based on propaganda bullshits, especially when Im not doing bad here and the future prospect is good....Nigeria is not in good shape I agree, but no where is actually easy and for a vast majority of migrants, it’s struggle continue.
I look at my own self for example I have a profession in which the only place I’m sure of success is Nigeria,I’m not in to tech,banking or medical line like my wife. So if I relocate and do masters and PhD what next?
The highest I will be able to get is a lecturing job which is scarce and not readily available.
So laslas na caregiver job,Uber or customer care I go Dey do. God forbid.
Nigerians are too gullible and suffers from inferiority complex , it’s true there are so many challenges here but it’s scary when you see people who have reached a certain point in their career here and seems to be doing good abandons everything to start all over in uncertainty because they only sees what media paint about abroad as paradise without blemishes.

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Kaycee54321(m): 1:15pm On Sep 30, 2022
Oladeji245:

Because they have nothing to return to.
I know a person,presently,a colleague of mine who is actually doing pretty well.
Got to know through an agent that has connections with both of us he has put some property up for sale...to japaa. Though he haven’t told any of us,even though he has left his office.
Selling properties,giving up career that take years to build to japaa with family on a UK study Visa?
It will never make sense to me.

Wrong assumption.

My lady friend in US is currently working at Amazon...
My guy in Norway just got his citizenship and has a wonderful career...
Some of my friends in the UK are either running their Post graduate programs or pursuing rewarding careers...ASUU got nothing on them cheesy

If you mean that they have nothing (good) to return to, then you're right.

No be everybody dey "pack old people sh.it" for abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Oladeji245(m): 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2022
Kaycee54321:

Wrong assumption.

My lady friend in US is currently working at Amazon...
My guy in Norway just got his citizenship and has a wonderful career...
Some of my friends in the UK are either running their Post graduate programs or pursuing rewarding careers...ASUU got nothing on them cheesy

If you mean that they have nothing (good) to return to, then you're right.

No be everybody dey "pack old people sh.it" for abroad.
Go and join them there sir.
Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Kaycee54321(m): 1:21pm On Sep 30, 2022
Oladeji245:

Go and join them there sir.

On it, Chief.
Re: Disadvantage Of Relocating Abroad by Wilson500: 1:24pm On Sep 30, 2022
All Nigerians here residing overseas
Pls try to educate Nigerians back home on the challenges or disadvantages of relocating overseas just like most of you have elaborated on the good side
Only a fool will think you are discouraging them, rather you are preparing their mind for the task ahead

Its always good to prepare for the worst and hope for the best....than not being prepared at all
Life is not a bed of rosesundecided

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Easiest Route To Travel To Cameroon / Nigerians(men) In Senegal, How Do You Cope With Their Beautiful Ladies / I Think My Aunty Is Being Scammed Regarding Her Canada Visa Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.