Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,081 members, 7,835,644 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) (1245 Views)

Sex For Grades: Kiki Mordi Who Exposed Universities Lecturers Never Graduated / Different Types Of Nigerian Universities Lecturers (meme Photos) / Different Types Of Nigerian Universities Lecturers - (MEME COLLECTION) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Nobody: 1:34pm On Sep 30, 2022
Lecturers across the United Kingdom under the University and College Union (UCU) have embarked on a 10-day strike.

About 4,000 members of the UCU at colleges across England, have taken up the industrial action which will stretch over the coming weeks.

The strike action was launched on Monday September 26 over pay dispute.

The union said staff have been left “with no other option” as college bosses “refuse to raise pay”. Staff will be picketing outside colleges each morning of the strikes.

According to the Union, since 2009, pay in further education has fallen behind inflation by 35 per cent and the pay gap between school and college teachers stands at around £9,000.

Before the strike action, staff were initially offered a one per cent deal, which was rejected, followed by a revised 2.5 per cent.

UCU General Secretary Jo Grady said, “College staff deliver excellent education but, over the last 12 years, their pay has fallen behind inflation by 35 per cent and now thousands are skipping meals, restricting energy use, and considering leaving the sector altogether.

“This strike action will continue for 10 days unless college bosses wake up to this crisis, stop dining off the goodwill of their workforce, and make a serious pay offer.”

The industrial action will take place over four weeks in the first half-term of the academic year.

See the full dates of strike action below:

Week 1: Monday, September 26, Tuesday, September 27, and Wednesday, September 28 (three days)
Week 2: Thursday, October 6, and Friday, October 7 (two days)
Week 3: Monday, October 10, and Tuesday, October 11 (two days)
Week 4: Tuesday, October 18, Wednesday, October 19, and Thursday October 20 (three days).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/ucu-strikes-why-college-university-lecturers-striking-how-long-b1028219.html

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Jman06(m): 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2022
Despite all the money they're making from international students

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Emperormartin(m): 1:53pm On Sep 30, 2022
Nawao everyone wants to be receiving salary like a footballer. Footballers are the coolest millionaires currently

2 Likes

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by IamDietiesGod: 2:42pm On Sep 30, 2022

“This strike action will continue for 10 days unless college bosses wake up to this crisis, stop dining off the goodwill of their workforce, and make a serious pay offer.

10 days?!. Just 10 days?. Una still dey learn. And after 10 days, the college bosses refuse to yield in. Tell me what your next action is going to be?, I want to check something. Indefinite?!, No I guess. But I don't think it will be up to that 10 days.

At the bolded, why is their UCU General secretary mood and tone sounding similar with that of ASUU chairman grin

"Week 1: Monday, September 26, Tuesday, September 27, and Wednesday, September 28 (three days)
Week 4: Tuesday, October 18, Wednesday, October 19, and Thursday October 20 (three days)"

But I like the way they organise their strike, seems systematic, intelligent, diplomatic and not rascal. But can this approach be used with FGN?!. grin

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 30, 2022
ASUU haff corrupted UK lecturers

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Joshchi19(m): 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2022
Problem everywhere
Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by general111(m): 6:32pm On Sep 30, 2022
This is not strike, this is mid term break grin
Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Wilson500: 6:48pm On Sep 30, 2022
Nigerian lecturers over there have infected those white lecturers with their strike syndrome grin

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Uyi168: 7:01pm On Sep 30, 2022
ASUU to the world.. grin

2 Likes

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by IsellSmartTvs: 7:04pm On Sep 30, 2022
Different pple Different wahala
Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Sucre6: 7:24pm On Sep 30, 2022
Jman06:
Despite all the money they're making from international students

You literally took the word out of my mouth, like seriously, these countries are making blood money from inflated fees from foreign students, plus they are into many things that could generate money to pay all their staff without delay

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Sucre6: 7:27pm On Sep 30, 2022
IamDietiesGod:

“This strike action will continue for 10 days unless college bosses wake up to this crisis, stop dining off the goodwill of their workforce, and make a serious pay offer.

10 days?!. Just 10 days?. Una still dey learn. And after 10 days, the college bosses refuse to yield in. Tell me what your next action is going to be?, I want to check something. Indefinite?!, No I guess. But I don't think it will be up to that 10 days.

At the bolded, why is their UCU General secretary mood and tone sounding similar with that of ASUU chairman grin

"Week 1: Monday, September 26, Tuesday, September 27, and Wednesday, September 28 (three days)
Week 4: Tuesday, October 18, Wednesday, October 19, and Thursday October 20 (three days)"

But I like the way they organise their strike, seems systematic, intelligent, diplomatic and not rascal. But can this approach be used with FGN?!. grin

If ASUU do like this, them go wait till the end of Buhari tenure FG no go send them, ASUU already know that vawulence is the only language FG understand grin
Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by IamDietiesGod: 7:37pm On Sep 30, 2022
Sucre6:

If ASUU do like this, them go wait till the end of Buhari tenure FG no go send them, ASUU already know that vawulence is the only language FG understand grin

I swear!. Lol
Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by robinso01(m): 9:30pm On Sep 30, 2022
ASUU don dey motivate them grin
Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by Realist12: 12:36am On Oct 01, 2022
The UK is battling rising inflation just like a whole lot of countries especially African countries caused by covid . But Obi the opportunist is capitalizing on that . Same way he dumped APGA, PDP so will he dump Labour party and his social media constituents.
Besides ASUU strike is clearly political, if not why not open the schools after the court order ?
On a second thought those that Japa to UK coz of ASUU , how market ?
Re: UK Universities Lecturers Embark On Strike,(Poor Remuneration) by BigDawsNet: 8:31am On Oct 01, 2022
They will resolve it in a jiffy

(1) (Reply)

I Signed Out Today!!!!!! / 3 Lessons From The Ethnicization Of The JAMB Controversy By Farooq A. Kperogi / Why School Dropouts Make More Money Than Professors:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.