Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,229 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b (2418 Views)

Man Buys Nokia As Iphone From Computer Vilage In Lagos (Photos) / Google Buys Meebo / Google Buys Motorola For $12.5billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by iwantto(m): 2:48pm On Aug 15, 2011
Google is becoming a device manufacturer!

Google just announced that it is acquiring Motorola Mobility. The search and online advertising company is buying the company for approximately $12.5 billion (or $40 per share), in cash. The price represents a premium of 63 percent to the closing price of Motorola Mobility shares last Friday. Google had about $39 billion in cash at last count.

http://googleblog..com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by blackboi(m): 5:22pm On Aug 15, 2011
Hello Moto lipsrsealed
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 15, 2011
That will restructure the Motorola on the world of mobile marketing and operation. I am thinking the Operating System might likely be changed to Android.

It is a bold step for Google.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 15, 2011
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by norrisman: 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2011
all4naija:

That will restructure the Motorola on the world of mobile marketing and operation. I am thinking the Operating System might likely be changed to Android.

since which year now. Motorola done dey use Android OS tey tey! I fear for the likes of HTC and Samsung though as their mobile businesses are heavily reliant on the sale of Android phones.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by DoubleN(m): 5:46pm On Aug 15, 2011
Google is following suite with the synergy of owning the OS and the Hardware. The battle is with Apple has taken another dinemsion. Na pips like HTC and Samsung I dey fear for. Google is following suite with the synergy of owning the OS and the Hardware. The battle is with Apple has taken another dinemsion. Na pips like HTC and Samsung I dey fear for.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2011
[size=20pt]The strategy i believe is targeted at Apple especially now that Apple is now the most Valuable company in the world. That won't go down well with Google thereby launching a direct competition against Apple products. Same goes for Google plus and Facebook. No doubt Google is a Giant to reckon with in the industry. [/size]
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 15, 2011
norrisman:

since which year now. Motorola done dey use Android OS tey tey! I fear for the likes of HTC and Samsung though as their mobile businesses are heavily reliant on the sale of Android phones.
I mean full fledged use of Android for their range of mobile phones. It will revolutionize Motorola as Google have a lot of Apps to add. Yes, it is going to be challenge to Apple.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 15, 2011
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Afam4eva(m): 6:27pm On Aug 15, 2011
I retract the statement I made sometine ago that google wants to colonize the internet. I think it's much biggger than that. It might even be a short-sighted speculation to say that they want to take over the IT industry. Very soon they may lunch "Google Automobiles", "Google Studios" or even "Google rice".
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 15, 2011
This is beautiful! Now they are gonna let Apple have it! F apple! Apple by the way is a very bad company to work for. I have a friend who works there and the chinese boy is miserable as hell! Google on the other hand is an excellent company to work for!
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 15, 2011
by the way moderator, google only acquired the mobility business unit of motorola, not motorola as a whole as the title suggests!
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by JUO(m): 6:38pm On Aug 15, 2011
good move
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by denzel2009: 6:40pm On Aug 15, 2011
A strategic move by Google. Tablet PCs are changing the way we access information.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by WebSurfer(m): 6:56pm On Aug 15, 2011
subject should be modified
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by ezeuba(m): 6:56pm On Aug 15, 2011
all4naija:

Most, if not all, Motorola phones are now running Android. Besides they were the company to really bring Android to the forefront with their range of Droid phones. It makes the mobile world exciting now. Google excels at most things they put their mind and cash to. I predict Motorola rising to the top of the chain again. Sorry for ipuke (phone?).
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 15, 2011
Think about it guys, i used to be an Apple fan, until recently when i just found out Apple just became the richest company in the world ahead of Exxon Mobil! Can u imagine that?? A consumer Electronics company becoming richer than an essential commodity (Oil) company! That just means one thing, Apple overcharges for their products while dazzling the consumers to believe there products are worth the price! I am all for profit, but i despise greed! Imagine apple filed a successful law suit in Europe to ban the sales of Samsung tablet which is competing with the Ipad! That is just the height of arrogance and greed! Apple is the Forbidden fruit from today, for me sha! LOL.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Seun(m): 7:34pm On Aug 15, 2011
@engineerd: apple's capitalization might just mean that their stockholders are delusional.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by damola1: 7:37pm On Aug 15, 2011
Money talks, with cash you can cross any boundary!,
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by MMM2(m): 7:40pm On Aug 15, 2011
12.5b cool
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 15, 2011
Now, Google can help other android fones manufacturers in the new cold war initiated by Apple and Microsoft. Innovation must continue with Google.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Phate07(m): 7:50pm On Aug 15, 2011
afam4eva:

I retract the statement I made sometine ago that google wants to colonize the internet. I think it's much biggger than that. It might even be a short-sighted speculation to say that they want to take over the IT industry. Very soon they may lunch "Google Automobiles", "Google Studios" or even "Google rice".

I believe that's not too far fetched. Google Cars has been in the works now for some time. These are cars that are driven by Artificial Intelligence, with little human input.

Way to go Google. Cant wait for a 'Google Droid'.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by pssword: 8:09pm On Aug 15, 2011
Is this not a risk by Google. This is similar to what Nokia did with Symbian. Nokia bought Symbian and all the stakeholder (Ericsson, Samsong, Docomo, Motorola etc, ) simply decamped to use their won OS for awhile. Having different stakeholders, hence different ideas, drove innovation in many directions like the pen based OSs etc ( the forbear of the touch screen). This made Symbian the no 1 OS for smart phones in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Interestingly once Nokia bought Symbian, all these stakeholders moved away from Symbian to android because there was no politics of a big player having overbearing influence on the direction of the platform. This migration to Android, and hence technical contributions, by big players has made it one of, if not, the fastest growing mobile platform in the market place today. Nokia has payed the price of buying Symbian and becoming overbearing making the platform one directional and in time obsolete. I think this is a risk for Google, the company has to do a lot of shmoozing of the other players using the OS and learn the lessons of Nokia or it will end up like Symbian - dead for all intent and purposes.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 15, 2011
^^^^
I don't think it's something of that nature. I can see Android is already a business of Google and Motorola mobility is a single brand having different hardwares which Google  have authority of ownership. There is nothing to loose at all as the world we live is propel by innovations and that is what it is going to do with the phones - it have a stake in Android already and the apps  also. So, it belongs to owner stake, Google's and it stakeholders, PERIOD!
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by babaowo: 8:36pm On Aug 15, 2011
GOOOOOOGLE! THE REAl BABALAWO.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 15, 2011
It will be nice to have Google whores ! LOL, kidding
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by zenatta: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2011
I'm really into Google and all but alas, this drive to have a finger in every pie is unsettling, Mail, Browser, Social Networking and now Phones Mobility, because the consumers may feel trapped if they are limited in choices. Google is a fiend at competition, recently Face book and now Apple. The Famed Search Engine may well say it is protecting the Android OS, but I think not. It is geared to break the monopoly of Apple thus redirecting its vasts profits. The Search engine and maps are awesome, unbeatable and are enough to hold Google's interest for many lifetimes
Google means to fight Apple and would do so by protecting its already existing concern, the search engine making sure that Apple never comes within a mile of it. Good business sense I would say.
Google in this move may or may not create jobs as expected. One can only watch and pray that the titans do not trample their consumers underfoot
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by pssword: 10:56pm On Aug 15, 2011
@all4naija

I don't think it's something of that nature. I can see Android is already a business of Google and Motorola mobility is a single brand having different hardwares which Google have authority of ownership. There is nothing to loose at all as the world we live is propel by innovations and that is what it is going to do with the phones - it have a stake in Android already and the apps also. So, it belongs to owner stake, Google's and it stakeholders, PERIOD!

I doubt you get the gist of what I'm talking about, if you did you would not be so "period"!. What you are writing about is exactly what Nokia thought when it bought Symbian - now see where there are. Try doing some research and you will surprise yourself,
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by shotster50(m): 10:57pm On Aug 15, 2011
Now they can have full access to everyones details, Perfect big brother.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 15, 2011
pssword:

@all4naija

I don't think it's something of that nature. I can see Android is already a business of Google and Motorola mobility is a single brand having different hardwares which Google have authority of ownership. There is nothing to loose at all as the world we live is propel by innovations and that is what it is going to do with the phones - it have a stake in Android already and the apps also. So, it belongs to owner stake, Google's and it stakeholders, PERIOD!

I doubt you get the gist of what I'm talking about, if you did you would not be so "period"!. What you are writing about is exactly what Nokia thought when it bought Symbian - now see where there are. Try doing some research and you will surprise yourself,
Okay, sorry for using the word PERIOD! I think Google is more like own the stake in Android and purchasing Motorola(hardware and software -let say already Google's) that makes it different from Nokia purchasing Symbian(software - they have little idea of). Android has been performing well.

Well let's wait and see if that will imply.
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by adconline(m): 3:05am On Aug 16, 2011
Google is buying all of the Motorola Mobility's patents
Re: Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b by toxbod: 9:06am On Aug 16, 2011
Is someone keeping secrets from you? Watch all Activity on Your cell Phone
· Do you know who your children are calling?
· Who is a cheating partner calling?
· Discover the location of a cheating partner?
· Are your employees where they are supposed to be?
· Track cell phone information with our software!
v The software service allows you to Listen to live phone conversation
v Extract SMS/Text Messages
v View Photos stored on any phone
v View all calls details
v Track the location of the target phone.
&
YOUR TARGET WILL NEVER KNOW

For More About the Product:
Product Info URL:
http://www.plimus.com/jsp/redirect.jsp?contractId=2398402&referrer=Adeleye

Order Form:
BuyNow URL:
https://www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.jsp?contractId=2398402&referrer=Adeleye

Forward this product to at least five people you will love to know about it.

You may use the order form URL above for your purchase or otherwise contact the cell phone number for further enquiry: +234 805 670 1680.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hot Picture Of Ebube Essien-garricks Mtn Aeroplane Winner / Top 10 Free Apps To Install On Your New Android Phone / Girl Accidentally Buys A China Iphone 6plus Thatuses Nokia Battery [SEE PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.