Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans (12076 Views)

*sold* So Clean Honda "Halla" Accord (auto Trans,alloy...)*sold* / Few Months Maintained MINI COOPER... (no Repairs)auto Trans,fine Leather. @1.65m / Tokunbo Golf 3 Fac Ac, Auto Trans: Lotta Hotties: 650k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by slayer01: 9:38am On Aug 16, 2011
what cud cause a car not to enter gear?, ie either reverse or drive?
the car is a 4wd rav 4 auto 130k miles, problem just developed within 1 day!. it steams and revs fine.
pls help!!!
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by osuntokun(m): 8:03am On Aug 26, 2011
My brother, it is so unfortunate. You have to change the gear box. Do not try to repair the gear box!
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by slayer01: 6:06pm On Aug 26, 2011
wow, the story had a happy ending o.

my mechanic was of the opinion that the tranny fluid shud be changed and filter replaced/washed.n if that fails, then i need to buy a new/to0ks gearbox.

but i doudbet him, cos i just changed the transmission fluid about 8months ago.

well to cut the story short, he did just that, and my car is back to life now.

am posting this so that peeps can learn.
1 love!

1 Like

Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by adanny01(m): 7:02pm On Aug 26, 2011
It happened to me. The car drove at gear 1 and refusedto change. Reverse was ok bt when i changed the gear oil and serviced the sensors it stopped completely. I had 2 buy anotha gear box.
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by Austinmac: 9:58am On Aug 27, 2011
@ slayr-01 and d whole house. i am experiencing that problem right now with my 2.4 camry,just started 2days ago and is yet to be rectified.am seeking for solution.The mechanic is thinking of servicing d gear pump on monday.can u introduce me to that ur mechanic that handled urs pls. worst scenerio, does any1 knows how much it cost to change gear box? Thanks.urgent reply is needed pls.
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by slayer01: 10:28am On Aug 27, 2011
be wary of illetrate n inexperienced mechanics, the first mechanic i went to wanted to use engine oil to replace the transmission fluid. he specically said he wants to use AP VISCO 2000, that it has a light viscosity similar to transmission fluid!!!.
i over ruled him and went n bought the transmission fluid myself and he grudgeingly used it.
u n i can only guess what he wud hv done if i wasnt around, he wud hv used the engine oil in all clear conscience,

no be person tell me to quit going to that particular mechanic

am based in ph, csan introduce you to my mechanic if u r in ph
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by osuntokun(m): 10:54am On Aug 27, 2011
that is good
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by Austinmac: 11:00am On Aug 27, 2011
eh yahhhhh, am in lagos.u r rite abt d kind of mech we have around. I wud b watchful sha. Thanks!
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by femmy2010(m): 11:45am On Aug 27, 2011
Austinmac:

@ slayr-01 and d whole house. i am experiencing that problem right now with my 2.4 camry,just started 2days ago and is yet to be rectified.am seeking for solution.The mechanic is thinking of servicing d gear pump on monday.can u introduce me to that your mechanic that handled urs pls. worst scenerio, does any1 knows how much it cost to change gear box? Thanks.urgent reply is needed pls.

Look for a gear mechanic that does Toyota Product and not Gbogbo Ejo(Those that claim to do all makes).
I would advice you stay with him when the service is been done.
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by obamamate: 2:56am On Aug 28, 2011
Makee sure you buy the right type of gear oil and have it changed. most gear box problems in naija are caused by bad gearbox oil
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by Austinmac: 8:36pm On Aug 29, 2011
@ femmy2010,tanx a million.d guy was supposed to come today but he didnt.am expecting him on thursday rather.@ obamamate,tanx to u too.i just changed d gear oil today and washed d filter but d problem still persist.d car drives well when its cool,d problem comes wen d car is hot,driven for some hours.
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by Deaconvertex(m): 11:43am On Apr 09, 2019
Good morning house. My Toyota rav4 reverse gear is not engaging. Can someone help me with possible cause and repair.
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by POSH007: 6:50am On Mar 07, 2020
Hello house,I have been having a serious issue with 2010 toyota camry , v6 , 22 pin gearbox for the past two months now and I need help and advise. I was traveling and on my way I discovered my engine was revving but my accelarator was stalk on 60, so I stopped, off the car and put it back on but it didn't engage in drive or reverse so I had to roll the car,the gearbox mechanic said my oil pump , filter and torque converter was bad so we changed all of it and put WS oil. It worked but it was in one gear, so we got another TCM gearbox brain box and then it selected but right now whenever am entering gear 2 at Lowes speed , the car jerks and when am deaccelerating, it jerks when its about to come to gear 2 , also it like it using power to pick up when in drive. Another gearbox mechanic said we have to change valve body because in addition to the previous problem when the car is parked over night , it won't reverse or it sluggish when entering reverse , he said its the valve body that is making it jerk when entering gear 2 and also making it not entered reverse. I have spent close to 200k fixing this gearbox, I know realize I would have been patient, save up and buy a new gearbox but right now am totally broke, the last money I have is what am about to give him to change the valve body because he said using a bad valve body can lead to burning the fibre. Please anybody out there with similar problem using 22 pin gearbox to please advise me.
Thanks
Re: Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans by kaziem(m): 7:17am On Mar 07, 2020
On the jerking around gear 2, I will suggest wrong accumulator pistons and/or their springs. Their work is to absorb the shift knocks i.e. soften the gear shift. I think your mechanic misarrange the accumulator pistons and/or their springs the last time you had some work done on the gear box.
On the sluggishness of the Reverse gear in the morning, you may try change the valve body but I doubt if it will correct the fault. Try to negotiate that you will return the valve body if it doesn't work to your satisfaction.
I had this similar issue with a 2003 Corolla but it's is the Drive that will not engage in time every morning. I will have to revv-warm it for like 3-5 mins before it will pick up. I replaced the valve body 3 times, the problem still persist though in different levels/degree. I later changed the whole gear box.
Also, what type of oil is WS, is that the one Toyota recommend for your car? Pls try to use the recommended oil. This is even the starting point of repair.

All the best...

(1) (Reply)

2006/07 Benz Ml350 4matic Used Selling Cheap. / Toks 07 Toyota Rav4 Ltd For Sale 3.4m Asking / SOLD... SOLD : 2009 Model E 350 4MATIC Benz AMG Sport Toks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.