Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,053 members, 7,859,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:56 PM

Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. (2663 Views)

Man Steals Formula To Feed His Baby, Gets Jailed In Kirikiri / Nigerian Priest Jailed For 8 Months In The UK For Sexual Assault (Pictured) / Nigerian Mother Jailed In The Uk For Sending Son To Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by White007(m): 8:33pm On Aug 16, 2011
Aftermath London riots: Shonola Smith, sister jailed for 6 months 'When (her sister), Alicia, from South Norwood, was arrested, she was carrying 10 packs of chewing gum she had stolen from a convenience store on the same day. She admitted theft.'

Acourt sitting in London, over the weekend sentenced Shonola Smith and her sister, Alicia Smith to jail after admitting "trying to steal from a smashed store in the riots."

The two sisters said to be British-born, but of Nigerian parentage, were jailed alongside their friend, Donness Bissessar, a 22-year-old Briton.

They all got six months separate jail terms.

Twenty-two-year old Shonola, a model, was caught outside Argos in Croydon and arrested with her sister, Alicia, and their friend Donness.

During trial, the trio admitted entering the Argos store "with intent to steal" last Monday night.

The Mirror of London reported that "when Alicia Smith, from South Norwood, was arrested, she was carrying 10 packs of chewing gum she had stolen from a convenience store on the same day. "She admitted theft."

The newspaper reported a lawyer for the girls quoted their parents as saying that they "have found it really very hard to fathom what's going on."

Sentencing the trio at Croydon magistrates, the District Judge Robert Hunter, reportedly said: "The tragedy is you are all of previous good character, each well educated.

"You have jobs. You have shown remorse. However, you played your part in a wider act where devastation was caused."

A lawyer for the girls said: "Their parents have found it really very hard to fathom what's going on."

Before convicting Shonola, from South Norwood, she was found to be part of a mob that smashed in the Croydon town centre shop last Monday night.

She was said to have been accompanied by her sister Alicia and their friend Donness, both from Croydon.

All three, who said to have no previous convictions, the reason they bagged six months imprisonment after each pleaded guilty to "entering the store with intent to steal."

They were arrested by police at the scene.

The judge while convicting them, according to London's Daily Mail simply said "I can't ignore the context in which these offences were committed."

The judge further said: "In my view, although I'm retaining jurisdiction, the matter is so serious that only a custodial sentence will suffice. That, I hope, will serve as a deterrent to others."

In London, six months is the maximum jail sentence a magistrate can impose for one offence.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by r231(m): 8:34pm On Aug 16, 2011
oh well
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Sunofgod(m): 8:38pm On Aug 16, 2011
Shonola Smith and her sister, Alicia Smith - Nigerians?

Jail them - 'Jamo' babes who no get shame.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by jellyloveb(f): 8:47pm On Aug 16, 2011
shocked shocked For 10 packs of chewing gum?

To say this is disgraceful is an understatement.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by tyson55(m): 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided

Unbelievable!
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 16, 2011
Yea while some white kids get 3month and suspension,

She went in for 10packs of chewgum and a career is likely over!

Dumb move!! Eyes on the price, mind for the hustle,  She got her mind on the price instead now she will pay the price,

Come back to 9ja and start over. You could be face of glo and many Afro companies that pay well more than the anorexia encouraging cesspit of Europe modelling agencies,

Kpadawale!
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by kasiem(m): 9:51pm On Aug 16, 2011
Pls my yorobo neighbours, make una steal beta tin. The other time na plasma, today, na chewing gum; and tommorrow go be tooth pick.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Remii(m): 10:00pm On Aug 16, 2011
That is how a society should work, just days after riot, culprits are begining to know their fate. If na naija, na only big big grammar we go dey hear,

"We will get them"
"We will leave no stone unturned"
"There will be no sacred cow"

bla bla bla bla
then a committee will be set up.

Wrong people will be arrested,

the poor people will rot in jail awaiting trial, You can imagine the rest.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by r231(m): 10:02pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^^^^Even chief BANKOLE is still at his house chilling and laughing grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Nobody: 12:39am On Aug 17, 2011
9jaganja:

Yea while some white kids get 3month and suspension,

They clamping down on offenders not matter your colour.

Stealing a bottle of water ==> 6 months  shocked
Handling stolen goods (Pair of shorts) ===> 2 months  shocked
Posting messages to incite riots ===> 4 years

Another appeared before magistrates in Manchester charged with burglary after he took two scoops of coffee ice-cream and a cone from Patisserie Valerie in Man. city centre
All where whites, so no one talk about favouritism here o.

Some of the sentences so far have been disproportionate to the offences commited.
Pretty damn sure the Dailymail is dancing though.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Frazy(f): 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2011
Wtf! For 10 packs of chewing gum? undecided
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by cap28: 8:49pm On Aug 17, 2011
these sentences are too harsh, i dont see how lockign young people up for 6 months for stealing bottled water or scoops of ice cream is justifiable, its a case of using a sledghammer to crack a very small nut, this a huge overreaction on the part of cameron and his eton club.

when is he going to come down hard on his investment banker friends over in the city of london, what these kids stole pales into insignificance compared to the theiving that cameron's banker friends have been engaging in.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by coogar: 8:55pm On Aug 17, 2011
cap28:

these sentences are too harsh, i dont see how lockign young people up for 6 months for stealing bottled water or scoops of ice cream is justifiable, its a case of using a sledghammer to crack a very small nut, this a huge overreaction on the part of cameron and his eton club.

when is he going to come down hard on his investment banker friends over in the city of london, what these kids stole pales into insignificance compared to the theiving that cameron's banker friends have been engaging in.

david cameron insisted all convicted looters must get custodial sentences.
the sentences are too harsh. under normal climate, these 2 sisters won't even be charged - they would be warned sternly and the matter would die.

the one that caught me eyes were those 2 facebook boys given 4 yr jail sentence each. . . . .that was too harsh and some people still think blacks were being targeted. if those facebook boys were black men, we know what the uproar would be. . . . .
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by mamagee3(f): 8:56pm On Aug 17, 2011
Someone stole chewing gums. shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is one of the most absurd stories I've heard all year.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by redsun(m): 8:56pm On Aug 17, 2011
Same judge will give a paedophile community service for possessing indescent pictures of children. Crazy people
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by coogar: 9:10pm On Aug 17, 2011
mama-gee:

Someone stole chewing gums. shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is one of the most absurd stories I've heard all year.

they were just carried away with the atmosphere then.
these girls work 9-5 and just joined the crowd to perpetrate looting. . . . .something they wouldn't have done with clear minds.
majority of the looters caught have no previous criminal convictions. . . . .this is why it's so terrible their squeaky-clean records have been smeared by theft of chewing gums. . . .with 6 mths imprisonment.

yikes, it sucks.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by cap28: 9:33pm On Aug 17, 2011
coogar:

david cameron insisted all convicted looters must get custodial sentences.
the sentences are too harsh. under normal climate, these 2 sisters won't even be charged - they would be warned sternly and the matter would die.

the one that caught me eyes were those 2 facebook boys given 4 yr jail sentence each. . . . .that was too harsh and some people still think blacks were being targeted. if those facebook boys were black men, we know what the uproar would be. . . . .

but the gutless slowpoke acts like an infatuated teenager whenever he's around his banker friends despite the fact that they single handedly caused the 2008 economic meltdown, i dont understand why nobody is challenging this man, what he is doing is outrageous, you cant just dump teenagers in prison for petty offences, what happened to community service - i thought that was what it was meant for?
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Hertsnite: 9:36pm On Aug 17, 2011
deport them
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by coogar: 9:37pm On Aug 17, 2011
cap28:

but the gutless slowpoke acts like an infatuated teenager whenever he's around his banker friends despite the fact that they single handedly caused the 2008 economic meltdown, i dont understand why nobody is challenging this man, what he is doing is outrageous, you cant just dump teenagers in prison for petty offences, what happened to community service - i thought that was what it was meant for?

that was what i expected from cameron's government.
make the convicted looters clean up their mess without paying them.

thousands of hours of community service unpaid should suffice for petty thieves. . . .six months in jail? damn!
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Hertsnite: 9:41pm On Aug 17, 2011
70 % of the looters in London were not English they were Africans and afro-carribs. I hope she gets deported
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by coogar: 9:43pm On Aug 17, 2011
Hertsnite:

70 % of the looters in London were not English they were Africans and afro-carribs. I hope she gets deported

deport british citizens?
you forgot your common-sense in your bathtub?
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by cap28: 9:44pm On Aug 17, 2011
coogar:

deport british citizens?
you forgot your common-sense in your bathtub?

grin grin grin grin grin

you get time to respond to that i.diot
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Kobojunkie: 9:48pm On Aug 17, 2011
Yea, Poor looters!!! cry cry cry cry cry Nevermind the many store owners/home owners (both caucasians and none) that have lost their property and hard-earned lives as a result of the rampage. Many of these victims will probably not recover from the actions of the looters for years to come, but no, that the perpetrators will have to spend 6 months in jail dealing with the "lenient" consequence of their "one week madness" is the terrible tragedy in all this.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by coogar: 9:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yea, Poor looters!!! cry cry cry cry cry  Nevermind the many store owners/home owners (both caucasians and none) that have lost their property and hard-earned lives as a result of the rampage. Many of these victims will probably not recover from the actions of the looters for years to come, but no, that the perpetrators will have to spend 6 months in jail dealing with the "lenient" consequence of their "one week madness" is the terrible tragedy in all this.

if the above was an attempt at sarcasm then i suggest you go f[i]u[/i]ck a l[i]e[/i]sbian

the store owners/home owners are adequately covered by insurance. yes, they had lost something but it's recoverable. it does not mean young teenagers should be sent to jail. when they come out hardened or derailed, then we are back to square one all over again. no one has said they shouldn't be punished but sending 2 sisters to jail because they palmed chewing gums borders on irresponsibility of the government mixed with a lack of foresight.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by redsun(m): 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2011
These things happen man,it is the spur of the moment.You don't jail young women with no previous conviction record for six months just because mere chewing gum,unless there is a hidden agenda.

I wonder how many years they are going to give that rich white girl that stole tv and all sorts?
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Kobojunkie: 10:02pm On Aug 17, 2011
coogar:

if the above was an attempt at sarcasm then i suggest you go f[i]u[/i]ck a l[i]e[/i]sbian

the store owners/home owners are adequately covered by insurance. yes, they had lost something but it's recoverable. it does not mean young teenagers should be sent to jail. when they come out hardened or derailed, then we are back to square one all over again. no one has said they shouldn't be punished but sending 2 sisters to jail because they palmed chewing gums borders on irresponsibility of the government mixed with a lack of foresight.

Yes!! Genius!! You are 100% sure that all Store owners who were affected were covered insurance just the same way we were 100% sure that all Katrina homeowners were 100% covered but years later, many are still struggling to put their lives back together!! These Insurance companies are in everyway IMMUNE to the global quagmire and will pay up in a matter of minutes sef . . . You are brilliant! grin grin grin

Even those who lost their lives in these will be brought back to live, right? The man who saw his own son plowed to death by one of the protesters will definitely get his son back, right? You deserve an award!!! grin grin
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Hertsnite: 10:03pm On Aug 17, 2011
Most of the rioters were african caribs/ africans they were not English FFS. want proof look at these two vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6p4itkdLi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M2DVpufKU

Please stop coming to the uk in droves and spreading you're criminality. Africans are hypocrites, white people are treated like crap in Zimbabwe, yet Africans are treated fairly in the UK. We do not need millions of unskilled Africans.

one or two businessmen or doctors is fine, but we do not need hordes of illegal toilet cleaners half of you probably just come here on tourist visas and stay for 10 years till you're deported, thankyou.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by chika98: 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2011
Hertsnite:

Most of the rioters were african caribs/ africans they were not English FFS. want proof look at these two vids

Please stop coming to the uk in droves and spreading you're criminality. Africans are hypocrites, white people are treated like crap in Zimbabwe, yet Africans are treated fairly in the UK. We do not need millions of unskilled Africans.

one or two businessmen or doctors is fine, but we do not need hordes of illegal toilet cleaners half of you probably just come here on tourist visas and stay for 10 years till you're deported, thankyou.

The same toilet cleaning you white folks refuse to do and actually NEED the illegal immigrants to fund your economy. Africans aren't the source of your problems Mister so take a hike!
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by redsun(m): 10:09pm On Aug 17, 2011
Hertsnite:

Soon and very soon,you will be begging for africans to come back and do your shii-ty jobs and contribute to your doles while your fat asses sit at home watching jeremy kyle and jerry springer but then it be too late because africa is on the rise to fall no more.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by Hertsnite: 10:11pm On Aug 17, 2011
we have enough poles to clean toilets they tend not to riot.
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by redsun(m): 10:11pm On Aug 17, 2011
He is probably a white zimbabwean asylum seeker
Re: Nigerian Sisters Jailed In UK for 6months For Stealing 10 Packs Of Chewing Gums. by chika98: 10:14pm On Aug 17, 2011
Hertsnite:

we have enough poles to clean toilets they tend not to riot.

You're just looking for attention. Everyone should just ignore him/her

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Cruel Way To Die!! / Disturbing Video Of Secondary School Girl Giving Her Male Colleague A Lap Dance / OMG!!! Man Rapes A 5, & 6 Years Old Girls Till Small Intestines Come Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.