Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria (53233 Views)

Man Escapes Death By Rope As Truck Submerged In Flood / Asaba: Vehicles Submerged In Mud Water As Flood Ravages Nnebisi Road (Pictures) / Owerri Flooded, Vehicles Submerged, Traders Flee (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by wiseone28: 8:59am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
And there governor want to become president undecided
Clown
Is the governor the one that sent the rain?

4 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by mikuz(m): 8:59am On Oct 09, 2022
How did they not see it coming?
I'm not surprised sha, anything can happen around these climes
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Mekanus(m): 8:59am On Oct 09, 2022
And their first lady is driving a vehicle worth over ₦200M around Abuja.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by FaceTanke: 9:00am On Oct 09, 2022
Na wa o
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by john1632: 9:00am On Oct 09, 2022
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Amb1045(m): 9:00am On Oct 09, 2022
Natural disaster
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by gibsonwales(m): 9:00am On Oct 09, 2022
I hope both Kogi and Federal government have/will respond to this natural disaster
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by adedayoa2(f): 9:00am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

That’s a natural disaster!

It can happen anywhere!
yes o
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Chicastle: 9:01am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
Clown

It’s Natural disaster I think not gov.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by aluyapreston: 9:01am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

It can happen anywhere!

Natural what? Are you sensible or you don't know about the Cameroon Dam? These bat people ehn
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Kajaard: 9:01am On Oct 09, 2022
How Will those people affected recover from this? Sad undecided
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by adedayoa2(f): 9:01am On Oct 09, 2022
mikuz:
How did they not see it coming?
I'm not surprised sha, anything can happen around these climes
of course they saw it coming and I am sure they have vacated the houses before it got to this stage.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Shadysen: 9:02am On Oct 09, 2022
sad one over there.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:02am On Oct 09, 2022
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by adedayoa2(f): 9:03am On Oct 09, 2022
aluyapreston:

Natural what? Are you sensible or you don't know about the Cameroon Dam? These bat people ehn
whatever it's still a natural disaster, and thus is not the first time, the people involved would have left their houses before it got to this stage.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by irunoko(m): 9:06am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
Clown
he'll become president in his dreams.meanwhile that clown in kogi Dino wey dey always show himself for Instagram still dey show off his sitting room and parking spots while his state is being engulfed in infrastructural decay

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 09, 2022
Omo this flood don pass 700 houses the water is from the river think twistly
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 09, 2022
Always buy your land during the raining season and avoid lands close to water channels, except you have money to sandfill it.. President Buhari should do the needful by activating NEMA to deploy relief materials to Kogites ... Make we no look Small Oga Yahaya Bello's attitude. Oga at the Top should also do the needful but that depend on if he wants to sha.

7 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Mandesz(m): 9:07am On Oct 09, 2022
Bello is working!!

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by ama19: 9:11am On Oct 09, 2022
kowema:
The flood is usually pretold before it happens. I've heard many agencies call for the Dams to be worked on, drainages cleared in that area and all to mitigate the flood..it feels like it's never done.
I can't forget the first time it escalated in 2012.
I was travelling as a corper from Benin to Jigawa.
That road was unplyable. The rivers had over flowed their bank, farms produce unharvestable, houses submerged, communities made homeless. Traffic we met at Lokoja was 2 weeks old. We had to use a crane to cross our bus tru the nearby River. The scariest experience of my life. One crane carried 2 buses loaded with 15 passengers and 1 small car. 15k per vehicle to cross us.
My heart sank over an over in this 10 mins of one of the riskiest moves of my life. Like what if the crane just bends?, We'd just sink.
Kai!.
Years after it's still same.
See the picture below

Please, it's called a barge not a crane.

2 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by alibiz: 9:15am On Oct 09, 2022
This is a national issue and FG should help and also plan to avert such in the future.
Maybe the volume of the water should know and a dam constructed to accommodate it couple with dredging of our water ways.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by ufuosman(m): 9:16am On Oct 09, 2022
This is really sad
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by okoroemeka(m): 9:16am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
Clown
the flood is not the fault of the governor or nature itself but people that build houses in natural flood plains that is designated by nature to be a natural overflow catchment basin,as long as people decide to build houses in flood plains this will continue to happen,my in-law built a duplex along the flood plains in ogbaru onitsha,he was initially warned that floods can reach heights of 15 ft high during a bad flood year but he stubbornly built there,right now he is a refugee in his in-laws place, will you blame the governor soludo for that?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Starz825(m): 9:16am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

It can happen anywhere!
You dey mind the idiot...

Climate change
That's happening everywhere in the world
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by luluosas(m): 9:17am On Oct 09, 2022
This is a national disaster ooooooooo. My thoughts are with the people affected by this ravaging flooding across Nigeria
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by xaggar(m): 9:20am On Oct 09, 2022
kowema:
The flood is usually pretold before it happens. I've heard many agencies call for the Dams to be worked on, drainages cleared in that area and all to mitigate the flood..it feels like it's never done.
I can't forget the first time it escalated in 2012.
I was travelling as a corper from Benin to Jigawa.
That road was unplyable. The rivers had over flowed their bank, farms produce unharvestable, houses submerged, communities made homeless. Traffic we met at Lokoja was 2 weeks old. We had to use a crane to cross our bus tru the nearby River. The scariest experience of my life. One crane carried 2 buses loaded with 15 passengers and 1 small car. 15k per vehicle to cross us.
My heart sank over an over in this 10 mins of one of the riskiest moves of my life. Like what if the crane just bends?, We'd just sink.
Kai!.
Years after it's still same.
See the picture below

Try to understand the difference between flooding and river overflow.

Flooding comes from a heavy downpour. A river overflow is as a result of the river unable to contain a huge amount of water.
Dredging the river basin is one way to tackle this. Remove the excess sands accumulated over the years from the river so it can handle more volumes of water.
The deeper the river the less space its waters takes on the adjoining banks or land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Streett: 9:22am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
Clown

Shey him suppose drink the flood ni.. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Originalsly: 9:23am On Oct 09, 2022
This is serious ... and I cannot see anything the governor could've done to prevent this flood. Dam the river?... how high?... how far up stream? This has been happening in sane climes.... nothing new and unavoidable. What States need to do is establish flood zones ... areas likely to flood and prevent people building there.
In the video.... no presence of emergency disaster. But later we will hear of visits and promises and plans ease sufferings.

Floods in the developed first world US .... saner climes with advanced technology.

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Reference(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2022
morikee:
Effect of Climate Change aka Global Warming
Even here in the North Rain dey still fall which is very unsual. May God help us all.

Of course it is from the north River Niger gets it's sources both within and outside Nigeria. The River flows north-west to Lokoja, joins the Benue and transects southern Nigeria.

So until the rains stop either in the northern highlands of Mali and Burkina-faso to the west or the Camerounian highlands to the east, I'm afraid the misery in Lokoja will abide.

2 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Starz825(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2022
adedayoa2:
whatever it's still a natural disaster, and thus is not the first time, the people involved would have left their houses before it got to this stage.
Don't mind this guys ooo

It's just climate change....its mostly natural...

They must have prepared for it but they never knew it could get to this level of damage....

Just like the Rice farm that was reportedly submerged few days ago ..it was also due to climate change even though they prepared heavily for it....lost million of dollars in the process
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Deltavariant(m): 9:24am On Oct 09, 2022
The last time this country experienced unprecedented flooding like this was 10 years (2012) back during GEJ, the FG pumped states with billions of cash only to be siphoned with no plans and projections to mitigate future reoccurrence. The unfortunate story is we will never learn.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo: The Benin Stowaway Boy Is Seriously Growing And He Is Really Handsome / The Beauty Of Southern Nigeria Shocked Me! (video) / Current State Of Port-Harcourt Road In Aba - Worst Road In SE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.