Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,258 members, 7,853,287 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:44 PM

Brighton Midfielder Mwepu Forced To Retire Due To Hereditary Heart Condition - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Brighton Midfielder Mwepu Forced To Retire Due To Hereditary Heart Condition (163 Views)

Brighton Midfielder Mwepu Forced To Retire Due To Hereditary Heart Condition / Brighton Midfielder Enock Mwepu Forced To Retire Over Hereditary Heart Condition / Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Set To Retire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Brighton Midfielder Mwepu Forced To Retire Due To Hereditary Heart Condition by plethora007: 1:26pm On Oct 10, 2022
Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Enock Mwepu has been forced to retire at the age of 24 after being diagnosed with a hereditary heart condition.

The Zambia captain fell ill while on a flight to join up with his national side during the recent international break and spent a period of time in hospital in Mali.

After undergoing further tests, it was discovered Mwepu's illness was down to a heart condition, which can worsen over time and be exacerbated by playing sport.

Brighton confirmed on Monday that Mwepu has called time on his career, as he would have an extremely high risk of suffering a cardiac arrest should he continue playing.

In a statement on the club's official website, Mwepu said he intends to stay involved in football in some capacity.

"A boy from a small Zambian township called Chambishi has some news to share," the former Salzburg midfielder said.

"He stood strong to follow his dream of playing football at the highest level, and by the grace of God he lived his dream by reaching the Premier League.

"Some dreams, however, come to an end so it is with sadness that I announce the need to hang up my boots because of the medical advice I have received.

"This is, however, not the end of my involvement with football. I plan to stay involved in some capacity.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that supported me in my football journey, including my wife and family, my agent 12MAN, the Zambian FA, all my previous clubs, team-mates and coaches and especially everyone at Brighton & Hove Albion."

"He stood strong to follow his dream of playing football at the highest level, and by the grace of God he lived his dream by reaching the Premier League."

Re: Brighton Midfielder Mwepu Forced To Retire Due To Hereditary Heart Condition by Nwachacho: 1:40pm On Oct 10, 2022
The most important thing in life is life itself. He's sacrificing his promising career to preserve life. All the best to his future endeavor

(1) (Reply)

Results From AC Milan Vs Chelsea Analysis / Wilder Vs Helenius Live / Manchester United Mason Greenwood Charged With Attempted Rape, Engaging In Contr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.