Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,939 members, 7,852,169 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:28 PM

“islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / “islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer (288 Views)

Catholic Priest, Anelu, Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs Reinstated / Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish / Muslim Columnist Yasmin-Alibhai-Brown Says Christmas Is "Islamophobic" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer by phoneport(m): 3:52pm On Oct 13, 2022
A commercial bank based in Nigeria, Polaris Bank, is being strongly criticised for prohibiting its Muslim staff from observing Jummah prayer (Friday prayer).
In a leaked email sighted by Newsbreak.ng, one of the bank’s supervising staff, Damilola Adebara, said the financial institution does not have a policy that allows any employee to go for religious activities during work hours.

The email showed that the staff are working under its YES centre, a branch of its customer service.
The mail read partly read: “Dear All, It has been observed that on Fridays, you leave your work desks to attend the Jumat service bearing in mind the impact of your absence on the work-flow and productivity of Yes Center.”

“Kindly note that there is no provision made anywhere in the Bank’s policy for employees to attend any religious activities during work hours.

“Going forward such permissions would not be granted on the Yes Center platform and any infraction of this directive would be dealt with accordingly.

“You are all expected to acknowledge the receipt of this mail. Thank you.”

Reacting to the mail, the bank in a statement on Thursday said the staff’s submission does not represent its position as a corporate entity.
"The attention of the Bank has been drawn to a shared screenshot of mail sent by a supervisor to staff in her department in respect of Friday prayers. “This is to clarify that Nigeria is a secular nation and our Bank is guided by this standard.

“Accordingly, there is no policy in the Bank that forbids staff from practicing the religion of their choice; hence the said staff had acted in ignorance and we have since addressed the issue internally.

“We assure all staff, customers, and the public that we will continue to respect the fundamental rights and freedom of worship of every employee,”
Polaris said.

Notwithstanding, several Muslim commenters are fuming on social media, with some customers threatening to end their relationship with the bank.

A protesting Muslim asked investors to withdraw their stock from Polaris Bank.

A Twitter user with the handle Coolex said: “This bank (Polaris) does not like Muslims. A staff of the bank is threatening her subordinates that they should not go to Jumuat prayers.
“Muslims are watching you. We were created to serve God not Polaris.”

In a similar vein, Isma’eel Musa said: “I was about to offer an advice, especially to Muslims, not invest or trade with any Bank where workers’ right (Muslim and Christian) alike are not protected.”

Source: https://newsbreak.ng/islamophobic-polaris-bank-under-fire-for-banning-muslim-friday-prayer/amp/

Re: “islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer by phoneport(m): 3:53pm On Oct 13, 2022
I believe the bank is a financial institution and they are at liberty to dictate to their staff, and I for one do not think they are in anyway disrespectful to Islamic tenets.

Well we are all entitled to our opinions.
Over to you...

2 Likes

Re: “islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer by tillaman(m): 3:54pm On Oct 13, 2022
sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer by NotBeenPaid: 3:56pm On Oct 13, 2022

Always not adhering to organisational rules in the name of religion. Even in Rome they break the laws.
Re: “islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer by phorget(m): 4:10pm On Oct 13, 2022
Religion should not be mixed with investment, if it's so obligatory for them to pray during office hours then they can easily tender their resignation letter by so doing they will have all the hours to themselves for prayer.
Re: “islamophobic” Polaris Bank Under Fire For Banning Muslim Friday Prayer by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 5:17pm On Oct 13, 2022
I’m waiting for the terrorist organization called MURIC to release a statement on this! I know they won’t disappoint, even though the bank has distanced itself from the supervisor mail. They know Muslims may start boycotting Polaris bank and they don’t want to lose customers. Lol

Religion is really the bane of Africa.

(1) (Reply)

Popular Gospel Singer, Sammy Okposo Is Dead. / How The Africans Became “black”. / Sometimes I Wonder Why In Spite Of My Inadequacies, Revelations Come Through Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.