Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. (534 Views)

Who Can Solve This Maths? / Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. / Pls Help Me With The Solution To This Maths Problem. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 9:09am On Oct 19, 2022
A right triangle with sides a, b, c forming arithmetic sequence. The perimeter of that triangle is p cm and its area is q cm squared. Given that 3p = 2q, what is the value of b?
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Kosoco(m): 9:14am On Oct 19, 2022
Value of B is Buhari.... chaii upon all the money my people spent for me to learn maths still e no gree enter. cry cry cry
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Chnbanc: 9:28am On Oct 19, 2022
How this math wan take put food for ya table this morning?
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 10:22am On Oct 19, 2022
If you can't help, just say something reasonable or look and pass.
Chnbanc:
How this math wan take put food for ya table this morning?
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by zealousayo(m): 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2022
b= 10 (Answer)

a=9, c=11

Since the sides form an arithmetic sequence, then c will be the longest (hypotenus) while b and a will be the base and height.

Since we are looking for b, the sequence will be: b-1, b, b+1
Perimeter, p= (b-1) + (b) + (b+1) = 3b
Area= 1/2 (bh)= 1/2 (b)(b-1)
Area,q= (b^2 - b)/2

Since 3p = 2q
3(3b)= 2(b^2-b)/2
9b=b^2-b
b^2-10b= 0
b=0 or b=10

For an obvious reason, we have to consider 10 and leave out 0.

Therefore, b=10

C’est fini.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 1:20pm On Oct 19, 2022
zealousayo:
b= 10 (Answer)

a=9, c=11

Since the sides form an arithmetic sequence, then c will be the longest (hypotenus) while b and a will be the base and height.

Area,q= (b^2 - b)/2

Since 3p = 2q
3(3b)= 2(b^2-b)/2
9b=b^2-b
b^2-10b= 0
b=0 or b=10

Therefore, b=10

C’est fini.

Thank you so much. I need to stay in touch with you. Can you give me your WhatsApp contact?
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 1:25pm On Oct 19, 2022
Timijo:
Thank you so much. I need to stay in touch with you. Can you give me your WhatsApp contact?
One more questions

We have 10b = b^2
How did we arrive at b =10?
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 1:25pm On Oct 19, 2022
zealousayo:
b= 10 (Answer)

a=9, c=11

Area,q= (b^2 - b)/2

Since 3p = 2q
3(3b)= 2(b^2-b)/2
9b=b^2-b
b^2-10b= 0
b=0 or b=10

Therefore, b=10

C’est fini.

One more questions

We have 10b = b^2
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by zealousayo(m): 5:31pm On Oct 19, 2022
Timijo:
All right, no problem... Can you send me a private mail?
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by zealousayo(m): 5:33pm On Oct 19, 2022
Timijo:
One more questions

We have 10b = b^2
Even if you divide both sides by b, the answer is 10 (without resorting to a quadratic equation).
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by victorogundepo0(m): 4:01am On Oct 20, 2022
Timijo:
One more questions

We have 10b = b^2

10b=b²
10(b)=b(b)
Divide both side by b and you have
b=10.
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 7:33am On Oct 20, 2022
zealousayo:

All right, no problem... Can you send me a private mail?
I sent you an email.
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by zealousayo(m): 8:12am On Oct 20, 2022
Timijo:
I sent you an email.
Okay, I've responded to it.
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Najdorf: 9:59am On Oct 20, 2022
zealousayo:
b= 10 (Answer)

a=9, c=11

Area,q= (b^2 - b)/2

Since 3p = 2q
3(3b)= 2(b^2-b)/2
9b=b^2-b
b^2-10b= 0
b=0 or b=10

Therefore, b=10

C’est fini.

Approach is somewhat correct but this is wrong. OP if you have not submitted this then don't.

You made a critical assumption which is that the AP is of difference 1. That was never stated anywhere in the question.

If you would like to verify your answer then the three side lengths should adhere to Pythagoras since we are dealing with a right-angled triangle. (92)+(102)≠(112).

Here is the correct solution.

The three sides a,b,c can be written as a-d, a, a+d respectively since it's in an A.P

p=(a-d)+a+(a+d)
p=3a

The area is the product the two smaller sides divided by two(this is from 1/2*base*height)

q=(1/2)*(a-d)*a
q=(a2-ad)/2

Note: Since we are dealing with a right angled triangle:

(a-d)2 + a2 = (a+d)2

Basic simplification gives you
a=4d...(1)

We'll need this later.

Now,
3p=2q
9a=a2-ad

Substituting d with a/4 from Equation (1)
9a=a2-(a*a/4)
9a=a2-(a2/4)

=> (3/4)a2 = 9a
=>(3/4)a=9
=>a=12

Therefore the three sides of the triangle are:
a-d=9

a=12

a+d=15

We can check that these are truly Pythagorean triples since

92+122=152

The question asked for only b though so

b=12

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by zealousayo(m): 7:22pm On Oct 20, 2022
Najdorf:

Approach is somewhat correct but this is wrong. OP if you have not submitted this then don't.

You made a critical assumption which is that the AP is of difference 1. That was never stated anywhere in the question.

If you would like to verify your answer then the three side lengths should adhere to Pythagoras since we are dealing with a right-angled triangle. (92)+(102)≠(112).

The three sides a,b,c can be written as a-d, a, a+d respectively since it's in an A.P

p=(a-d)+a+(a+d)
p=3a

The area is the product the two smaller sides divided by two(this is from 1/2*base*height)

q=(1/2)*(a-d)*a
q=(a2-ad)/2

(a-d)2 + a2 = (a+d)2

a=4d...(1)

We'll need this later.

Now,
3p=2q
9a=a2-ad

9a=a2-(a*a/4)
9a=a2-(a2/4)

=> (3/4)a2 = 9a
=>(3/4)a=9
=>a=12

a-d=9

a=12

a+d=15

92+122=152

b=12
You're right, I shouldn't have made that assumption.
@Timijo... Follow this approach.
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 7:34pm On Oct 20, 2022
zealousayo:

You're right, I shouldn't have made that assumption.
@Timijo... Follow this approach.
Okay, thanks.
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 1:04pm On Oct 29, 2022
Thank you for the correction. Please, I will need to keep in touch with you. I need help with some questions. Please send me your WhatsApp number via email. I have sent you an email.
Najdorf:

p=(a-d)+a+(a+d)
p=3a

q=(1/2)*(a-d)*a
q=(a2-ad)/2

(a-d)2 + a2 = (a+d)2

a=4d...(1)

We'll need this later.

Now,
3p=2q
9a=a2-ad

9a=a2-(a*a/4)
9a=a2-(a2/4)

=> (3/4)a2 = 9a
=>(3/4)a=9
=>a=12

a-d=9

a=12

a+d=15

92+122=152

b=12
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Najdorf: 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2022
Timijo:
Thank you for the correction. Please, I will need to keep in touch with you. I need help with some questions. Please send me your WhatsApp number via email. I have sent you an email.
I can't receive emails through Nairaland for some reason

I'll send you one
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2022
Najdorf:

I'll send you one
I have replied you, please check.
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Timijo(m): 3:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
Bros, please I need your help ooo. I'm stuck with these questions. Can you send me your WhatsApp number via email?
Najdorf:

I'll send you one
Re: Please I Need Help With This Maths Problem. by Najdorf: 3:37pm On Oct 29, 2022
Timijo:
Bros, please I need your help ooo. I'm stuck with these questions. Can you send me your WhatsApp number via email?

(1) (Reply)

UNIBEN Announces Resumption Of Academic Activities Truncated By ASUU Strike / 8 Reasons Why Students Fail Waec/neco/jamb Exam In Africa / Photo Speak: Dani Joy International Schools, Umuahia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.