Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst (2518 Views)

See What A Mechanic Did To A Customer's Lexus SUV (pics/video) / How To Checkmate Car Catalyst Theft / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by smartokc(m): 9:19am On Oct 27, 2022
Good day everyone
Please I need a kind advice from people who are experienced.

I drive a Lexus EX 300, I’ve been driving this car since 2019 but recently my car finds it difficult to pick when I try to move, it struggles to move, due to this I’ve change fuel pump even with the filter and have also changed plugs and have serviced the nozzles of my car severally just to see if it’s will stop delaying in picking up but to no avail
Recently a mechanic advised I should remove the catalyst converter and I’ve taken time to research about functions of catalyst converter and figure removing it is really not good for a car. At this point the movement of my car doesn’t give me joy at all and I don’t know what to do. Please can someone advice me on what to do to get my car fixed,
Is removing the catalyst converter the best option?
Does removing it not affect the sound of a car and does it not affect the fuel consumption of a car?
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by mployer(m): 9:30am On Oct 27, 2022
Change mechanic

9 Likes

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Adejuwonhis(m): 9:50am On Oct 27, 2022
Remove it ASAP
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by ayanjamz: 9:57am On Oct 27, 2022
Change your MECHANIC*... Take Ur car for scanning...

4 Likes

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Dozieson(m): 10:54am On Oct 27, 2022
smartokc:
Good day everyone

I drive a Lexus EX 300, I’ve been driving this car since 2019 but recently my car finds it difficult to pick when I try to move, it struggles to move, due to this I’ve change fuel pump even with the filter and have also changed plugs and have serviced the nozzles of my car severally just to see if it’s will stop delaying in picking up but to no avail
Recently a mechanic advised I should remove the catalyst converter and I’ve taken time to research about functions of catalyst converter and figure removing it is really not good for a car. At this point the movement of my car doesn’t give me joy at all and I don’t know what to do. Please can someone advice me on what to do to get my car fixed,
Does removing it not affect the sound of a car and does it not affect the fuel consumption of a car?

You guys should always scan, study the codes online before repairing it car.

Change your mechanic Bro

4 Likes

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Mayor555(m): 12:13pm On Oct 27, 2022
If your catalyst is blocked, you better stop driving that car for your engine's sake.

What it means, is that your engine ain't breathing properly....and I bet you wouldn't want to damage your engine...

5 Likes

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by smartokc(m): 1:35pm On Oct 27, 2022
Mayor555:
If your catalyst is blocked, you better stop driving that car for your engine's sake.

What it means, is that your engine ain't breathing properly....and I bet you wouldn't want to damage your engine...
how do I know it is blocked ?

2 Likes

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by boldx(m): 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2022
Have you scanned your car?

1 Like

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by GreekDon: 3:36pm On Oct 27, 2022
smartokc:
Good day everyone

How will you know if your catalyst is blocked? By bringing it out and visually inspecting it.
Removing the Catalyst (and replacing it with a good one) is your best option. Catalyst doesn't come cheap.
If you decide to remove the catalyst and run the Car like that, the sound will definitely change. Might be a bit louder.
For a v6 vehicle, increase in fuel consumption will be negligible.

**If your catalyst is blocked, driving around with it will lead to severe engine damage. You don't wanna risk that. Better remove the damn thing and run your car like that. Don't allow any mechanic stuff mesh wires or anything inside the pot. You can always get a replacement when you have the funds.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Angrygoat: 4:21pm On Oct 27, 2022
It might not be catalyst. It might be injector mouth going bad,bad ignition coils,coil wires, those are the main culprit. Catalyst or not,your car will move,only that engine and exhaust would be louder and of cos u gondeyy buy fuel like mad person.
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by iHateFraudsters: 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2022
smartokc:
how do I know it is blocked ?

Scan your car oga

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Charx122: 7:39pm On Oct 27, 2022
smartokc:
Good day everyone

Most Nigerian mechanics that's what the do to some many vehicles once your catalyst is removed the sound of your engine changes

2 Likes

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by smartokc(m): 9:30am On Oct 28, 2022
Angrygoat:
It might not be catalyst. It might be injector mouth going bad,bad ignition coils,coil wires, those are the main culprit. Catalyst or not,your car will move,only that engine and exhaust would be louder and of cos u gondeyy buy fuel like mad person.
I’ve cleans and serviced the trotle body I’ve done all this and yet the car still lags in movement
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Okoyedavid3(f): 2:29pm On Oct 28, 2022
To be sure your catalyst is blocked a trick to do is first scan your car to read codes,after that rev your car while in neutral to go above 4000rpm, if it does go beyond 4000rpm mostly likely your catalysts isn't blocked, if it doesn't then mostly your catalyst is blocked.
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Nyceguy92: 3:12am On Oct 29, 2022
Poor acceleration in a car can be due to one or two of many components that work together to ensure the car responds well to the throttle pedal. It is not always easy to pinpoint the culprit without a good inspection and testing.

Apart from the injector, plugs and fuel pump which you already serviced or changed, fault could be from the MAF sensor, oxygen sensor, bad air filter, even the catalytic converter.

How did you reach at the decision to replace the fuel pump? The mechanic should have checked that there was fuel delivery at the injector nozzles. Unless he measured the fuel pump pressure to be low, the pump should not have been removed.

I suggest you take your car for a scan to narrow the trouble down to specific areas. in the absence of a warning (E.g check engine) light on the dashboard, you will need a more sophisticated scanner to pick up pending codes.

There is no guarantee that replacing the cat. converter will solve your problem. By the time you run into luck and throw in the right part, you would have spent a lot while removing good parts.

It would be nice (and others will learn, too) if you come back here later to tell us how you eventually solved your problem. This is one thing people who bring their problem here do not do. They receive advice and never bring feedback so others will learn from their experience.

1 Like

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by kernniejay(m): 3:26am On Oct 30, 2022
May be the catalytic converter is blocked and that's why he advised you to remove it. Normally, when you notice poor performance or you see a check light on, the first thing you should do is to scan the car to know what is wrong. Therefore, take your car for scanning, the codes you get will tell you what is wrong with your car. In this case, it is either the catalyst is blocked or bad. If it is blocked, you can take your car for a long fast ride on a free express to clear the blockage, but if the catalyst is truly bad, you can buy another one to replace it though may be expensive. You already know the implication of removing it and not replacing it.
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by benefitzte: 1:53pm On Oct 30, 2022
smartokc:
Good day everyone

@Op I wanted to open a similar topic just now.
I was experiencing same issues on my x3, I had to replace d engine and tranny in July this year with very little difference so on Friday I just discussed with my mechanic and we both agreed to remove the cats, o boy come and see power now since then. I even made 50k yesterday from d materials I removed from d clogged cats.
I did intensive internet search concerning d effect of ripping d cats off before proceeding so no matter d disadvantage anyone is trying to preach here is not for me.
Let me also point here that I have a BMW specific scanner so yes I have eliminated all other things that could cause loss of power.
@OP, go ahead then thank me later. Difference in exhaust sound isn't much in my case.
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by ariesbull: 7:17pm On Oct 31, 2022
smartokc:
Good day everyone

Catalyst does nothing in cars than to purify the exhaust that's all....

When you remove it you car breathe well and gain some horsepower

Mechanic might be right... Remove it and keep them.... Sometimes it clogs the engine if it's bad
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by ariesbull: 7:19pm On Oct 31, 2022
benefitzte:

@Op I wanted to open a similar topic just now.
I was experiencing same issues on my x3, I had to replace d engine and tranny in July this year with very little difference so on Friday I just discussed with my mechanic and we both agreed to remove the cats, o boy come and see power now since then. I even made 50k yesterday from d materials I removed from d clogged cats.
I did intensive internet search concerning d effect of ripping d cats off before proceeding so no matter d disadvantage anyone is trying to preach here is not for me.
Let me also point here that I have a BMW specific scanner so yes I have eliminated all other things that could cause loss of power.
@OP, go ahead then thank me later. Difference in exhaust sound isn't much in my case.
I drive a benz I removed mine and the engine breathes well and mines well
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by smartokc(m): 7:50pm On Dec 25, 2022
Marry Christmas to all members of this great platform, and I also appreciate everyone that contributed and advised me on the best approach.
After going through all your advice I took my car to an electrician and the car was scanned and we discovered that the 2 cat at the manifold was blocked and it was removed immediately and just after the removal my car breaths and the movement became sharp again, just that there was slight change in the sound of the car and for the consumption there was no much different. So am happy now
Thank you all
God bless you all
And I’m wishing you guys a prosperous new year in advance

2 Likes

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by ZombieSlayer1: 7:26am On Jan 03, 2023
Dozieson:

You guys should always scan, study the codes online before repairing it car.

Change your mechanic Bro
I'm sure the OP must've solved the problem by now, but I always wonder why people don't scan their cars when they notice issues. I bought a small bluetooth scanner that connects to my phone for less than 3,000 naira and it works perfect. If I notice any change in the car I run a scan and then browse the error codes. Most times I go to the mechanic I tell them exactly what to check and that's always what the issue is

1 Like

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by ZombieSlayer1: 7:29am On Jan 03, 2023
smartokc:
Marry Christmas to all members of this great platform, and I also appreciate everyone that contributed and advised me on the best approach.
After going through all your advice I took my car to an electrician and the car was scanned and we discovered that the 2 cat at the manifold was blocked and it was removed immediately and just after the removal my car breaths and the movement became sharp again, just that there was slight change in the sound of the car and for the consumption there was no much different. So am happy now
Thank you all
God bless you all
And I’m wishing you guys a prosperous new year in advance
Always scan your car, it saves you a lot of issues. Most of these mechanics only do trial and error

1 Like

Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Dozieson(m): 4:26pm On Jan 03, 2023
ZombieSlayer1:

I'm sure the OP must've solved the problem by now, but I always wonder why people don't scan their cars when they notice issues. I bought a small bluetooth scanner that connects to my phone for less than 3,000 naira and it works perfect. If I notice any change in the car I run a scan and then browse the error codes. Most times I go to the mechanic I tell them exactly what to check and that's always what the issue is

Exactly.
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by EverythingPhone(m): 12:23pm On Feb 16
smartokc:
Good day everyone

Text me on WhatsApp on 09014566031
Don’t have access to the mail
Re: A Mechanic Is Asking Me To Remove My Car Catalyst by Bazztadewu: 11:53am On Feb 17
Another code go soon show. Engine n fuel go hear am.

(1) (Reply)

What Is/are The Best Cars To Buy With 1 Million, 2 Million, & 3 Million Naira / I Would Require The Help Of All Gurus To Fix My Car To Factory Default / What Car Can I Get For N1m?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.