Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State (1251 Views)

History Of Odigbo In Ondo State / ‘Mysterious’ Cloth That Fell From The Sky In Ondo: The Truth (Photos) / The Mysterious Cave Of Ashes (Isarun) In Ondo State (Video, Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 5:31am On Oct 29, 2022
The origin of Odigbo is Ile-Ife, the cradle of the Yoruba Race. Uja has, from time immemorial, been the PROGENITOR of Odigbo people. Uja was the only son of his parents. His father was Akintirin while his mother was Usero the eldest daughter of Oranmiyan who was then the Ooni of Ile-Ife. Her only son was Uja Akintirin.
Usero had a uterine sister whose names were Atiba and Olu. Atiba got married to a Benin indigene. She conceived and gave birth to twins. At that time, giving birth to twins was regarded as transgression that carried a death penalty for the mother and her twins.
If the above event had not happened, it is very possible the wide expanse of land occupied by Ondo, Odigbo and Ile-Oluji might have been occupied by different ethnic communities.
Oranmiyan did not want his beautiful daughter and her children to suffer through cruel death. Oranmiyan's solution to this dreadful problem was to arrange how to sneak Atiba and her twins out of Ile-Ife.
Oranmiyan had to consult Ifa Oracle to decide who qualifies to lead the flight of Atiba and her twin children (Orere, male) and Pupupu (female) out of Ile-Ife. Ifa oracle predicted, among other things, that Uja was the hunter divinely appointed to lead the lives-saving-fight out of Ile-Ife. The oracle had predicted that Uja would kill an elephant in whose belly he would find treasures of tremendous value.
Oranmiyan settled all domestic issues with all involved. He pleaded with Usero to patiently tolerate the departure of Uja, his son and Atiba, her sister.
Uja cut some palm fronds and hewn them together into a hamper big enough to contain the twins: Orere the male and first child and Pupupu the female and junior child.
Uja's mission was successful. All those who took part in the voyage also survived. However, before they set out on their journey, Oranmiyan handed over to Uja a beaded Crown to be held in trust for the twins.
The Yoruba adage which says that "twenty children cannot play together for twenty years" became manifest in the relationship among Uja, Atiba and her twins. Orere disclosed to Uja his plan to seek for greener pastures elsewhere. Uja advised him to take Atiba, his mother along with him wherever he went. He also gave Orere the beaded crown which Oranmiyan gave Uja to hold in trust for the twins.
Orere departed for the unknown. His mother, Atiba then more popularly known as Olu, accompanied Orere. She slept and never woe up and up till this day, is the place where Olu slept and died in her sleep known as ILE-OLUJI.
It was not long after Orere's departure that Pupupu got married to a man of Benin origin. She accompanied her husband to Benin. Thereafter she gave birth to her first male child named Aigho. Before long, Pupupu's marriage hit a rock when the relatives of her husband accused her of some wrong doings. The allegations were neither investigated nor proved. Pupupu could not put up with what she called false accusation. She therefore packed her bags and baggage, Aigho her only son and she headed for Ondo. In her luggage was the beaded crown she cunningly got from Orere. She had promised Orere she would return the crown as soon as she was done using it but she never did!
Pupupu's departure from Benin coincided with the desperate search in Ondo for someone who had a beaded crown in his or her possession. When Pupupu arrived at the searching point in Ondo, her luggage was scrupulously searched and a beaded crown was found therein. Pupupu was made a "king" but her administrative style was ineffective. Within a very short time, Pupupu was dethroned. The Ondo Community thus made a declaration that no woman in Ondo would ever be enthroned to reign as a King.
Uja found his way to Odigbo with his team. They got to "Igi-Meta" and found Aija stream. Events helped a great deal in the designation of places. For example, Ile-Oluji was a confirmation of the fact that Olu died in her sleep at Ile-Oluji. Ile-Oluji Grammar School was erected in memory of the Matriarch. Orere Grammar School was also erected to remember their Progenitor at Ile-Oluji.
Uja got to Odigbo and in the course of his hunting for games, he came face to face with an elephant and succeeded in killing the animal and found two beaded crowns in its belly. The occurrence prompted Uja to desire to go back to Ife to show the then Ooni his "mementos" that earned him the privilege of being ordained as a Prince in Ile-Ife. After the honour bestowed on him, he was told that age-old Ile-Ife tradition forbids him to stay in Ile-Ife. At a little beyond middle age, Uja and Usero his mother left Ile-Ife for Odigbo.
Uja and his co-founders of Odigbo agreed on the rotation of the Ruling Houses among five families at Odigbo. The pact remained unchanged up till today. Uja regarded himself as a King. The Oranmiyan himself ordained him at Ile-Ife. As time went on, the menace of the British Imperialism truncated all traditional arrangements, pacts and ordinance. Ondo was made the District Headquarters for villages in her environs. The arrangement put both Odigbo and Ile-Oluji under Ondo jurisdiction. Two other factors greatly helped Ondo to develop faster than Odigbo and Ile-Oluji. The first factor was early access to Western education. At the time Ondo had her first secondary school, the Ondo Boys High School, Odigbo was struggling to estabish a Primary School. The second factor was the introduction of Cocoa seedlings to the local farmers. The foreigners who brought this commercial product got to Odigbo many years after it had been thriving in Ondo Communities.
Let us ex-ray the progress made by Uja and his colleagues at Odigbo: Uja took a long time to settle down. He got married to a lady. The lady begat a male child who was named, first by Uja, as Orunja. That means the heir of Uja. Usero, the mother of Uja, named her Orunsero, meaning Usero's heir. The two names: Orunja and Orunsero belong to one and the same child. Uja, the father of Orunja laid solid foundation for his only son, Orunja or Orunsero. All the territories founded by Uja were firmly ruled by Orunja, the son.
Many of the territories founded by Uja and controlled later by his son were given names that narrated the story. Let us begin with the name Odigbo. In those days, enemies plundered communities to take away resources and sometimes women and children. The plunderers' attempts were always restricted or thwarted. They would kidnap women and children and in their attempt to run away, they would encounter some stone walls. They would suddenly experience eclipse of the sun in broad day light. When they were caught they always narrated their stories of woe. This earned the town, the name Odi-Igbo meaning an impregnable forest in the wilderness.
Let us give few more examples: Somewhere in Ore, our fore-fathers quarantined some refugees from Ipetu-Modu. They got to Odigbo with a serious attack of a strange epidemic. The place where they were settled is known up till today as "Adoye". This means where we were quarantined to survive the plaque.
Uja and Orunsero founded some other territories. At a time when Western medical heath services were scarce, native herbalists from Odigbo would leave their homes and trek to neighbouring hamlets and villages to provide ante natal services to women during labour and post natal services in the management of both mother and her children. They invoke incantations in the treatment of patients that had mental derangements.
Some traditional herbalists of those days included: Aguda, Debo, Fasheyenu, and Omoshenayen. The residents of the communities soon named them, ONISERE - meaning good health workers.
Agbabu remains the only River Port in Odigbo Local Government. Uja, in his exploits, got to the river bank one day and saw what appeared to him as a moving house on the river. Many hours of waiting brought the "moving house" to the shore. After exchanging compliments with one another, the captain of the ship fired three gun shots into the air. Uja shouted, Agbabu! Literally interpreted, it means the blast of a gun. That name subsists till today.
Uja and his co-hunters provided an everlasting link among Odigbo, Ondo and Ile-Oluji. There is no reason under the sun why the three Communities could not regard themselves as brothers and sisters.
Unfortunately we show love and kindness to our neighbours but those who want to rob us of Ore because of its Commercial importance and rob us of Agbabu because of its large deposit of bitumen, reject our friendly offers.
Saturday, 12th November, 2022 will witness the birth of the 33rd Edition of Odigbo Day. It is the birth of a new era. The old order had changed. There is a new Odigbo that replaced the old one because the ways we conduct, comport, communicate and relate with each other have all changed for the better. We are all aiming at the day when Odigbo will be counted among the comity of most developing and peaceful communities in Nigeria and indeed, the world at large.
We congratulate our Kabiyesi, the Orunja, on his elevation to the position of a FIRST CLASS OBA. Long may you reign! Long live Ondo State and long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!! Isero a gbe wa o.

Endnote - Facts are culled from the book:
"History of Odigbo by High Chief EZEKIEL IBITAYO AKINFOLARIN, (FCIS, MNIM), The Odunwo of Odigbo Kingdom.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Redomi(m): 5:51am On Oct 29, 2022
Thought Odigbo was created from Ondo since they speak same dialect
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 12:07pm On Oct 29, 2022
Redomi:
Thought Odigbo was created from Ondo since they speak same dialect
They are two different towns. They speak the same dialect, they have the same culture, they are both in Ondo State not too far away from each other but in different Local Government.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2022
duro4chang:
They are two different towns. They speak the same dialect, they have the same culture, they are both in Ondo State not too far away from each other but in different Local Government.

Lol, initially Odigbo, Ore are Ondos pre colonial times.

It was during the colonial era that they started twisting that they're from Ile Ife bla bla hence, having their local government.

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by AutomaticMotors: 4:06am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

Lol, initially Odigbo, Ore are Ondos pre colonial times.

It was during the colonial era that they started twisting that they're from Ile Ife bla bla hence, having their local government.

Exactly!! Everything that boy wrote up there is hogwash tales by the moonlight

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 4:32am On Oct 30, 2022
AutomaticMotors:

Eghi Autos, ke ti ri?
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:00am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

Eghi Autos, ke ti ri?
O san.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:03am On Oct 30, 2022
AutomaticMotors:

Since you know the right thing, can you please post it here. Many of you are good in pointing out mistake but have no solution.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:04am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
O san.

Haha grin are you ekimogun?
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:07am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

Haha grin are you ekimogun?
No but I lived and school there. I have cocoa plantation in a near village(Igunshin)

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:08am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
Since you know the right thing, can you please post it here. Many of you are good in pointing out mistake but have no solution.

The Benin part of it tho.

There was never a time we encounter or have anything to do with Benin people. I

But Akure and Owo sha
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:09am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
No but I lived and school there. I have cocoa plantation in a near village(Igunshin)

Wowowow. Which side do you live?

I live along Ademulegun road, around Eminence school. Anytime i am around make I come greet you grin
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:11am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

The Benin part of it tho.

There was never a time we encounter or have anything to do with Benin people. I

But Akure and Owo sha
But many non yoruba people here on nairaland believe that the major parts of Ondo and Ekiti were once under Benin
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:14am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

Wowowow. Which side do you live?

I live along Ademulegun road, around Eminence school. Anytime i am around make I come greet you grin
I am no more living there. I am now in Lagos. I attended Adeyemi College some years back.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:29am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
But many non yoruba people here on nairaland believe that the major parts of Ondo and Ekiti were once under Benin

The problem is.
Benin people will say they colonized Ondo.

1. They don't even know there's a town in Ondo called Ondo.

2. Ondo state and Ekiti were once together so they can't differentiate us apart from dialect, na we fit differentiate each other.

Just like someone from Benin Republic, saying Yorubas once colonized them which is wrong.
Instead, the correct way is, Oyo Yorubas or Oyos once colonized them.

2 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:30am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
I am no more living there. I am now in Lagos. I attended Adeyemi College some years back.

Eyah.
Hope you're not part of those disturbing our peace in Ondo back then tongue
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:33am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

Eyah.
Hope you're not part of those disturbing our peace in Ondo back then tongue
When, why and how?
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:36am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
When, why and how?

Lol, Na joke
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:36am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

The problem is.
Benin people will say they colonized Ondo.

1. They don't even know there's a town in Ondo called Ondo.

2. Ondo state and Ekiti were once together so they can't differentiate us apart from dialect, na we fit differentiate each other.

Just like someone from Benin Republic, saying Yorubas once colonized them which is wrong.
Instead, the correct way is, Oyo Yorubas or Oyos once colonized them.
I understand you. The confusion is just too much and the reason is that people rely on oral tradition since there were no reliable written sources.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:39am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
I understand you. The confusion is just too much and the reason is that people rely on oral tradition since there were no reliable written sources.

Yeah. But major towns in Yorubaland that has their sources in ile Ife.

There correct history is in Ile Ife. 100%
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:40am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

Lol, Na joke
Perhaps, to you. I don't joke with serious matter.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by duro4chang(m): 9:41am On Oct 30, 2022
Sammy07:

Yeah. But major towns in Yorubaland that has their sources in ile Ife.
There correct history is in Ile Ife. 100%
Hmmmm.
Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Sammy07: 9:42am On Oct 30, 2022
duro4chang:
Perhaps, to you. I don't joke with serious matter.

Sorry about that.

duro4chang:
Hmmmm.

Yes sirr

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State by Tonaye1010: 9:06pm On Apr 26, 2023
My brother i dont understand. Long time ago it was only ikale and ondo. Ikale from ore down south and ondo people from ore up north.

This story is for the gods o. I understand you wanted to break away from ondo town sha. Thats is why they carved out odigbo.

(1) (Reply)

Which Tribe Is Loudest When On Phone - Igbo, Yoruba Or Hausa? / # / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.