Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk (1398 Views)

First-born Kids May Have Higher Diabetes Risk-study / People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study / The Risk Of Contacting HIV Through Clippers (Barbing) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by Free(f): 5:13pm On Feb 26, 2006
[b]NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Holding that side of fries might help thwart type 2 diabetes, new research suggests.

In a long-term study of nearly 85,000 U.S. women, researchers at Harvard University found that those with the highest potato intake had a modestly elevated risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

The link was strongest among obese women, who are already at increased risk of the disease, suggesting that heavy potato consumption may pose a particular problem for them, the researchers point out.

The findings are published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Though potatoes have healthful attributes, they also have a high glycemic index (GI) -- meaning they cause a rapid, strong rise in blood sugar. Over time, these surges may damage the pancreatic cells that produce the hormone insulin, which is needed to metabolize blood sugar.

Overweight or sedentary adults may be particularly vulnerable to the effects of high-GI foods because they often have underlying insulin resistance -- a precursor to diabetes in which body cells lose their sensitivity to insulin.

So it would make sense for these individuals to lay off the french fries, Thomas L. Halton, the lead author of the new study, told Reuters Health.

He and his colleagues found that women with the highest potato intake were 14 percent more likely than those with the lowest intake to develop diabetes over 20 years. And women who ate the most french fries, specifically, had a 21 percent greater risk of diabetes than those who ate the fewest.

Overall diet and other lifestyle habits did not explain the link, and potatoes seemed to be more problematic when a woman ate them instead of whole grains.

Whole grains -- as well as many high-fiber vegetables, fruits and legumes -- have a lower GI than potatoes and white-flour products. So eating those foods in place of potatoes, Halton's team concludes, could potentially cut diabetes risk.[/b]
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by Seun(m): 5:32pm On Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for sharing. Can you give us a link to the[i] source[/i] (web page), please?
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by Free(f): 5:42pm On Feb 26, 2006
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by Seun(m): 9:31am On Mar 01, 2006
Very soon, it will be discovered that eating itself is a high-risk activity that should be avoided as much as possible!
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by Free(f): 3:24pm On Mar 01, 2006
Very soon, it will be discovered that eating itself is a high-risk activity that should be avoided as much as possible!

i know rite
last time it was in the news that bananas were not good to eat and my dad stoped buyin bananas
now hes buyin em again,cuz its good now, he believes everything he hears , angry
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by stephanie7(f): 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2006
i am IRISH from the home of Potatoes. i have been eating potatoes on a daily basis all my life and so have my parents and all my family and none of us have diabetes and i am also overweight so dont believe this crap for one minute
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by kotons(m): 12:31pm On Jul 29, 2010
Im sure one day they will stop us from drinking water.
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by titilaelae(f): 9:30am On Jul 30, 2010
And it would soon be discovered that lovers of Sweet Potatoes stand the risk of instant death after consumption shocked shocked shocked. Now wetin man go dey chop sef? Me I tire o angry angry cry cry cry
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by xxcarolxx(f): 12:41am On Jul 31, 2010
When they say you should not eat this or eat that cos it causes such and such, one would wonder how our ancestors survived years ago, when they had no fridge, and didn't have to worry about dates on food,
Re: Potato Lovers May Have Higher Diabetes Risk by Seun(m): 1:03am On Jul 31, 2010
one would wonder how our ancestors survived years ago, when they had no fridge, and didn't have to worry about dates on food,

Our ancestors didn't live very long. Diseases like malaria often killed them off quite early.

(1) (Reply)

Gnld Products / Green World Weight Loss / Doctor In The House: A Dermatologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.