Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,370 members, 7,836,496 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Honey is Sugar. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Honey is Sugar. (804 Views)

5 Easy Ways To Know If Honey Is 100% Natural Or Adulterated / Do You Honey Is A Bee’s Vomit? / If Honey is Healthy, Why Is The Demand Low?(answers Needed Please) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honey is Sugar. by Maynman: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2022
Honey gets its sweetness from 2 main simple sugars, Fructose and Glucose.

The composition of honey is
Fructose
Glucose
Reducing Sugars
Sucrose.

The composition of our table sugar(Granulated) is:
Sucrose. Sucrose is a Disaccharide of fructose and glucose.

The sweetness of honey is dependent on how rich it is in fructose, higher the fructose, more the sweetness.

Eating honey will not make you healthy; it's not a miracle food. It's just slightly better than Table sugar.
If you're diabetic, honey won't prevent the same adverse effects that would come from eating sugar.

While you will read all kinds of hype about how much healthier honey is than regular ol' table sugar, most of that info spouted by Internet "health"sites, "10 things you need to know about honey" type click-bait sites, and "alternative" health gurus is just that-HYPE.

Honey has some medicinal properties as an antibacterial and antiseptic when applied to wounds and particular skin conditions, but when taken internally, eaten, honey is fundamentally a sugar syrup.

Honey is about 17% water. The rest is mostly fructose and glucose, followed by varying concentrations of as many as 20 additional sugars and oligosaccharides. There are trace amounts (total of 1% or less) of protein and amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and the organic acids and esters that lend flavor and aroma.

If you wanted to use honey as a vitamin supplement or source of protein, you would have to eat pounds of honey a day to get enough of those ingredients to be in any way beneficial. Pounds of sugar syrup.

3 Likes

Re: Honey is Sugar. by injuredman: 11:10pm On Nov 03, 2022
Maynman:

Fructose
Glucose
Reducing Sugars
Sucrose.

The sweetness of honey is dependent on how rich it is in fructose, higher the fructose, more the sweetness.

Eating honey will not make you healthy; it's not a miracle food. It's just slightly better than Table sugar.
If you're diabetic, honey won't prevent the same adverse effects that would come from eating sugar.

Please tell some of our people ooooooo!

I still don't understand how some people market honey as super food.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honey is Sugar. by johnw47: 1:09am On Nov 04, 2022
Maynman:

Fructose
Glucose
Reducing Sugars
Sucrose.

honey and table sugar are like chalk and cheese

table sugar is heavily refined and void of any minerals
it's just sugar

eating honey isn't just eating sugar. honey also contains bee pollen of which different types have different health benefits. honey contains iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium etc.

2 Likes

Re: Honey is Sugar. by Oloki: 6:09am On Nov 04, 2022
Bitter truth!
Some people consume honey anyhow thinking it will prevent them from any cubic sugar related diseases.

Not to even talk of all those adulterated honey we have in the market, which is 60% raw sugar.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honey is Sugar. by Maynman: 6:27am On Nov 04, 2022
johnw47:

honey and table sugar are like chalk and cheese

table sugar is heavily refined and void of any minerals
it's just sugar

eating honey isn't just eating sugar. honey also contains bee pollen of which different types have different health benefits. honey contains iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium etc.
What do you understand by sugar?
Table sugar contains SUCROSE.
Honey contains fructose and glucose.
Both sucrose, frutose and glucose are SUGAR.

Bee pollen doesn’t contain all what you said.

Re: Honey is Sugar. by johnw47: 10:07am On Nov 04, 2022
Maynman:

What do you understand by sugar?
Table sugar contains SUCROSE.
Honey contains fructose and glucose.
Both sucrose, frutose and glucose are SUGAR.
Bee pollen doesn’t contain all what you said.

you are running away from what i said
you commented that honey is only slightly better than table sugar

i told how honey is significantly beter than table sugar

Maynman:

honey .... It's just slightly better than Table sugar.

johnw47:

honey also contains bee pollen of which different types have different health benefits. honey contains iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium etc.
Re: Honey is Sugar. by Maynman: 10:09am On Nov 04, 2022
johnw47:

you are running away from what i said
you commented that honey is only slightly better than table sugar

i told how honey is significantly beter than table sugar

You made a bunch of claims that are FALSE.

Who told you sucrose has no nutrients?
Sucrose, a disaccharide, is a sugar composed of glucose and fructose subunits.

What sugar does honey contain?
The regular honey you buy does it contain bee pollen?

1 Like

Re: Honey is Sugar. by johnw47: 11:04am On Nov 04, 2022
Maynman:

You made a bunch of claims that are FALSE.
Who told you sucrose has no nutrients?

u still running away from what i said

quote where i said sugar has no nutrients
but i will tell you now that table sugar has very little nutrients

Maynman: Sucrose, a disaccharide, is a sugar composed of glucose and fructose subunits.
What sugar does honey contain?

still nothing to do with what i said smiley

Maynman: The regular honey you buy does it contain bee pollen?

it matterss not, honey has significantly more nutrients than table sugar, oh runaway
Re: Honey is Sugar. by Maynman: 11:16am On Nov 04, 2022
johnw47:

u still running away from what i said

quote where i said sugar has no nutrients
but i will tell you now that table sugar has very little nutrients

still nothing to do with what i said smiley

it matterss not, honey has significantly more nutrients than table sugar, oh runaway

You lack comprehension of what i said. You don’t even what “sugar” means.
Kindly Show us the “significant nutrients” honey contains wink

We are talking about honey and sugar not bee pollens
Does regular honey contain bee pollen?

Stop making FALSE statements, regular honey doesn’t contain pollen bee.
Why don’t you show us the “significant nutrient” that honey contains cheesy or you can continue making dumb statements, oh illiterate. smiley

1 Like

Re: Honey is Sugar. by johnw47: 11:38am On Nov 04, 2022
Maynman:

You lack comprehension of what i said. You don’t even what “sugar” means.
Kindly Show us the “significant nutrients” honey contains wink

We are talking about honey and sugar not bee pollens
Does regular honey contain bee pollen?

Stop making FALSE statements, regular honey doesn’t contain pollen bee.
Why don’t you show us the “significant nutrient” that honey contains cheesy or you can continue making dumb statements, oh illiterate. smiley

smiley
some can't admit when they are wrong, but will keep deceiving/changing the issue
over and over again, you are one of them

bye little man
Re: Honey is Sugar. by Maynman: 11:44am On Nov 04, 2022
johnw47:

smiley
some can't admit when the are wrong, but will keep deceiving/changing the issue
over and over again, you are one of them

bye little man

Why don’t you show us the “significant nutrient” that honey contains or you can continue making dumb statements, oh illiterate. cheesy

Bye Big Dummy.

Re: Honey is Sugar. by AlphaTaikun: 9:37am On Nov 07, 2022
Maynman:

Fructose
Glucose
Reducing Sugars
Sucrose.

While you will read all kinds of hype about how much healthier honey is than regular ol' table sugar, most of that info spouted by Internet "health"sites, "10 things you need to know about honey" type click-bait sites, and "alternative" health gurus is just that-HYPE.

Honey has some medicinal properties as an antibacterial and antiseptic when applied to wounds and particular skin conditions, but when taken internally, eaten, honey is fundamentally a sugar syrup.

Honey is about 17% water. The rest is mostly fructose and glucose, followed by varying concentrations of as many as 20 additional sugars and oligosaccharides. There are trace amounts (total of 1% or less) of protein and amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and the organic acids and esters that lend flavor and aroma.

If you wanted to use honey as a vitamin supplement or source of protein, you would have to eat pounds of honey a day to get enough of those ingredients to be in any way beneficial. Pounds of sugar syrup.
That's an awesome post!
Deep insights.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

#3050 Food In Benin / What Are Some Nigerian Restuarants In Your Area? / Which Is Consume More Coka Cola Or Cigarette?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.