Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Air Turbulence When Airborne - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Turbulence When Airborne (777 Views)

Moment Uyo-Lagos Air Peace Flight Experienced Air Turbulence (Video, Photos) / Turbulence During A Local Flight Turned Almost Everyone Into Prayer Warrior(vid) / Arik Air Caught Fire Airborne On Lagos To Accra Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 9:19pm On Nov 05, 2022
To those that travel a lot using flight, how do you cope with air turbulence? This thing scares the hell out of me
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Eriokanmi: 9:25pm On Nov 05, 2022
It's normal. The first time I'd experience it was in 2004 on board a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt AM Main,Germany. I was traveling to America,US JFK was the destination. I was panicky while others were stable. I guessed they were already used to it. The air hostess only saidnl nobody should move around until things normalised.

The most scary one was when on board an A380 double decked aircraft on a 19hr flight nonstop from DXB to LA in 2019. That's the longest turbulence ever experienced. There was this military man in uniform who put his face down in the next row. He was so scared. In fact, we were scared oo. Eventually, things normalised and we landed at the Tom Bradely airport in LA safely.

3 Likes

Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 11:50pm On Nov 06, 2022
Eriokanmi:
It's normal. The first time I'd experience it was in 2004 on board a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt AM Main,Germany. I was traveling to America,US JFK was the destination. I was panicky while others were stable. I guessed they were already used to it. The air hostess only saidnl nobody should move around until things normalised.

The most scary one was when on board an A380 double decked aircraft on a 19hr flight nonstop from DXB to LA in 2019. That's the longest turbulence ever experienced. There was this military man in uniform who put his face down in the next row. He was so scared. In fact, we were scared oo. Eventually, things normalised and we landed at the Tom Bradely airport in LA safely.
That thing is scary. Especially when it enters thick cloud or when it's very windy. The latest one that scared me was the sharp drop in altitude during the turbulence. Most of us airborne shouted though

1 Like

Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 11:51pm On Nov 06, 2022
Aareona:

Turbulence is scary tho. I don't know why people used to say it's nothing to be scared of
very scary. The journey of 50 to 55 minutes between Lagos and Abuja would look like 20 hours cry
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by BenNash: 1:36am On Nov 07, 2022
Nisot7:
That thing is scary. Especially when it enters thick cloud or when it's very windy. The latest one that scared me was the sharp drop in altitude during the turbulence. Most of us airborne shouted though
Lol God forbid. I'll probably faint.
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Originalsly: 3:31am On Nov 07, 2022
It is scary because is like the plane is speeding on a very rough road ... it doesn't travel at an even altitude..... it keeps suddenly dropping height... one moment like dropping from two storeys high and hitting the ground... then next moment free falling for like 40 feet . The fear is will the wings hold up when the plane hits air again? ... or will they break off?
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 6:04am On Nov 07, 2022
BenNash:

Lol God forbid. I'll probably faint.
Lol... You can probably take the option of sleeping though if you are a person that easily falls asleep when traveling.
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Eriokanmi: 7:45am On Nov 07, 2022
Nisot7:
I experienced this with aero Contractor once. It wasn't funny though. People of different faiths were just calling God in different names. I remember one alphaa that night grin. The plane went down all of a sudden as if it was going to crash...a propeller driven small plane like that. Suddenly it came up again to its normal altitude.

Another scary moment was when we were about leaving abuja airport, same aero contractors, the engine couldn't start and people began to panick. We were still in the tarmac. As if that wasn't enough, we got mid way when the pilot came out of the cockpit to address us, that we'd have to return to abuja cos flight wouldn't get to lagos and he wouldn't want to risk it. He said there was a technical fault, omo! See pandemonium grin.

As soon as we got to abuja where we took off from, some.said they're not going again so they disembarked and went back to town while some of us took the courage to stay. The pilot said he'd need to refuel, after rectifying the fault. Eventually we took off and landed safely in lagos around mid night.
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by femo86(m): 11:52am On Nov 07, 2022
Chai.....scary as fuuuccckkk

My recent flight from Lagos to Germany via Istanbul...

Plane dropped rapidly from over 29000 feet to 10000feet..it was a strong turbulence cry

See different prayers in different languages...the noise in d cabin alone is catastrophic

For my mind, I dey claim hard guy but na lie ooo(my heart is already cut off), and held wifey's hand ( she don dey speak in tongues)...

Haaaa...God saved us

Wetin eye see, person no fit write am...words self cannot explain them

2 Likes

Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 6:10am On Nov 08, 2022
Eriokanmi:
I experienced this with aero Contractor once. It wasn't funny though. People of different faiths were just calling God in different names. I remember one alphaa that night grin. The plane went down all of a sudden as if it was going to crash...a propeller driven small plane like that. Suddenly it came up again to its normal altitude.

Another scary moment was when we were about leaving abuja airport, same aero contractors, the engine couldn't start and people began to panick. We were still in the tarmac. As if that wasn't enough, we got mid way when the pilot came out of the cockpit to address us, that we'd have to return to abuja cos flight wouldn't get to lagos and he wouldn't want to risk it. He said there was a technical fault, omo! See pandemonium grin.

As soon as we got to abuia where we took off from, some.said they're not going again so they disembarked and went back to town while some of us took the courage to stay. The pilot said he'd need to refuel, after rectifying the fault. Eventually we took off and landed safely in lagos around mid night.
Lol... You guys that waited tried oh. I wouldn't go again.

The one I experienced sharp drop was with Overland. A small aircraft with propella too. Two times it dropped amidst a dark thick cloud like it wanted to crash. Before we took off in Jalingo, normally, the airline would take people from Abuja to Jalingo and immediately they disembark, they would tell us to come on board.
So on this faithful day, they shifted the flight by 1 hour to 3 pm. Some minutes before that 3 pm the cloud went dark and overcast and it started raining thereafter with heavy wind. Then we were told the plane is near. After like 2 minutes, we were told the plane could not land and as a result remains suspended in the air. Normally, if the plain want to land we would see it go to the right at the tarmac where it would land before turning and coming back to where people onboard would disembark. Rather, we saw it coming gently from the left after it landed (not the tarmac oh) amidst heavy rain. Till today we did not know how it landed.

So people disembarked and their luggages were unloaded. The rain stopped around 4:30 pm. After 1 hour, we noticed that they did not call us that are going to Abuja to start coming on board. When we now asked what the problem is, they told us the weather is not good. Some few minutes past 5 they now called us to come onboard.

After we took off, normal shaking started then after 5 to 10 minutes, we entered one thick black cloud, the turbulence we experienced no be here. Jagajigigbogogbaga, sharp drop like it wants to crash. Omo. Ever since that time, common shaking when airborne, na so I go say for my mind, ah it wants to start again.

That would be my first time experiencing turbulence whereas I have been experiencing shaking in my previous flight that I had minimal fear for.

The recent flight that I had from Lagos to Abuja with a big boeing air peace still had turbulence though not as much as the former. This defeated my though that if it were big boeing, probably it would have withstood the turbulence.

1 Like

Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 6:14am On Nov 08, 2022
femo86:
Chai.....scary as fuuuccckkk

My recent flight from Lagos to Germany via Istanbul...

Plane dropped rapidly from over 29000 feet to 10000feet..it was a strong turbulence cry

See different prayers in different languages...the noise in d cabin alone is catastrophic

For my mind, I dey claim hard guy but na lie ooo(my heart is already cut off), and held wifey's hand ( she don dey speak in tongues)...

Haaaa...God saved us

Wetin eye see, person no fit write am...words self cannot explain them

Omo mehn, the experience no be here. You guys that are traveling long distance are trying oh. Common 50 minutes to 1 hour, na so I go dey look my wrist watch say when 50 minutes go reach like this. And the funny thing as I can't sleep. I would look at people sleeping and I would be like, how I wish I could sleep like them
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 7:40am On Nov 08, 2022
Lalaaticlala let's hear from other people na
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by Nisot7: 11:29am On Nov 17, 2022
I think we should hear from other people's experiences
Re: Air Turbulence When Airborne by seunny4lif(m): 11:36am On Nov 17, 2022
Nothing than to belt yourself to your sit then shout Jesus Jesus Jesus if you are a christian but if you are a Muslim then shout Allah Allah Allah cheesy cheesy cheesy

Please buy yourself a chewing gum before boarding as it help you going deaf for few hours when taking off or landing cool cool

This experience came from my dream cheesy cheesy cheesy
Incase we hit FP, someone should clap for me for reviewing this wonderful dream of mine to you all grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Help With France Visa Appointment / Not now / Help Needed On This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.