Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,291 members, 7,811,870 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? (1273 Views)

Node VS Python - What's the Best Backend Tech for Beginner & Intermediate Devs? / Employment For Java/php Program instructors(70-150k salary) / VACANCY: Software Developer Needed(java & PHP Skilled Person) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Devdevdev(f): 7:35am On Nov 06, 2022
I've never been so confused. I don't feel confident entering the job market with just these:
Html,
CSS,
JavaScript,
React,
Typescript,
ExpressJs,
NodeJs,
MongoDb
MySQL

I need a good backend tech to add to this stack and I've drilled it down to the trio of Java, Python and PHP.

The reason I need a backend language to add to aforementioned is:

1. To stand out from all the average developers competing with me in the job market.

2. To get good in data structures and algorithms as I don't trust JavaScript to suffice in this aspect.

3. To add to Nodejs when applying to junior jobs locally and abroad.

4. Something to use on side freelance projects while looking for a job.

So I need your help guys. I've searched the internet but I've not been able to get a substantial answer.

Python, Java or PHP?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Wisdomwise18: 7:44am On Nov 06, 2022
If you've really cooked yourself with those front-end tools, baba that means you're good to go, except you don't know the power of what you already have, nevertheless, Python is a good backend stack,,,, but try add a bit of PHP too.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Devdevdev(f): 7:51am On Nov 06, 2022
Wisdomwise18:
If you've really cooked yourself with those front-end tools, baba that means you're good to go, except you don't know the power of what you already have, nevertheless, Python is a good backend stack,,,, but try add a bit of PHP too.

From what I've heard Python doesn't have much opportunities outside of Machine Learning and Data science.

Some people say PHP is outdated, others say it's the best for freelancing. This is what confuses me. I don't want to waste my time learning something that won't profit me later on.
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by chukwuebuka65(m): 8:13am On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:
I've never been so confused. I don't feel confident entering the job market with just these:
Html,
CSS,
JavaScript,
React,
Typescript,
ExpressJs,
NodeJs,
MongoDb
MySQL

I need a good backend tech to add to this stack and I've drilled it down to the trio of Java, Python and PHP.

1. To stand out from all the average developers competing with me in the job market.

2. To get good in data structures and algorithms as I don't trust JavaScript to suffice in this aspect.

So I need your help guys. I've searched the internet but I've not been able to get a substantial answer.

Python, Java or PHP?

For your mind now, you have mastered all the languages you posted above , abi? What is “collapsing margin”, what is “stacking context” and what are the different ways to create one? What is “preserve-3d” and what does it do. What is web accessibility? If you can’t answer these questions without googling, then you are still an amateur for frontend. I don’t want to talk about nodejs. Have you gone to nodejs documentation? I am not sure.
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by TastyFriedPussy: 8:28am On Nov 06, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

For your mind now, you have mastered all the languages you posted above , abi? What is “collapsing margin”, what is “stacking context” and what are the different ways to create one? What is “preserve-3d” and what does it do. What is web accessibility? If you can’t answer these questions without googling, then you are still an amateur for frontend. I don’t want to talk about nodejs. Have you gone to nodejs documentation? I am not sure.
Ogbeni shut up and go and sit down..... See ur mouth like my username tongue you don't have to master things before you begin to work with them, if that was the case, most of you here with jobs would still be jobless for years. You need to work with things before you begin to master them..
Oloriburuku I too know tongue

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by KrazyDave16(m): 8:34am On Nov 06, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

This is too much na
Ask them stuff based on what one learns by watching videos alone tongue

For Nodejs, what are design patterns?
List the types with code samples

1 Like

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by peterincredible: 8:53am On Nov 06, 2022
KrazyDave16:

This is too much na
Ask them stuff based on what one learns by watching videos alone tongue

For Nodejs, what are design patterns?
List the types with code samples
C#(dot net) or php laravel guess what they continue to say php is dead, php is dead but where I work we have been looking for php laravel developer now for two weeks and they are no where to be found

I have gone to an interview early last year(2021 and every body there where mern stack and just one PHP developer then it dawn on me that I need to add php to my skill set and I did and b4 I new it I got a job, left it and got another and you know what is scarce tend to command more value I will advice to go for c#(dot net) and php (laravel)
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Devdevdev(f): 8:53am On Nov 06, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

I won't answer your useless questions because that's not why this thread was created. If you don't have answers to my questions, then get out of my thread. You are not interviewing me for a job neither are you offering me one.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by specialofficer: 9:01am On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:

I won't answer your useless questions because that's not why this thread was created. If you don't have answers to my questions, then get out of my thread. You are not interviewing me for a job neither are you offering me one.

I love your response, some people are just annoying honestly bro

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by KrazyDave16(m): 9:05am On Nov 06, 2022
peterincredible:

C#(dot net) or php laravel guess what they continue to say php is dead, php is dead but where I work we have been looking for php laravel developer now for two weeks and they are no where to be found

I have gone to an interview early last year(2021 and every body there where mern stack and just one PHP developer then it dawn on me that I need to add php to my skill set and I did and b4 I new it I got a job, left it and got another and you know what is scarce tend to command more value I will advice to go for c#(dot net) and php (laravel)
True that you knowing something makes it more valuable but there is a clear difference between a rare dev who knows his/her stuff in a stack and another whose goals is to get in and start learning proper when things are not what they seem to be

Also the question ebuka asked seems harmless, given OP got in 2 months and from recent posts about the layoffs and hiring freeze, which would explain this post and his question

for the langs:
python is getting the JavaScript treatment here in popularity but should do for DSA, plus it suits your needs if you itching to learn something else

java like php is being made fun of but is excellent for DSA but you gotta sit down and learn and practice it, watching videos alone won't cut it

php for mostly freelancing and jobs at agencies
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by ovanda(m): 11:39am On Nov 06, 2022
[quote author=Devdevdev post=118160781]

[/quote
The truth is bitter after all.
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Wisdomwise18: 12:12pm On Nov 06, 2022
Who ever tells you PHP is outdated is sure lying to you,,,, PHP is good for freelancing - very correct! But you've got to define your career path in programming before really choosing a backend stack! The future of tech is actually data science and machine learning...cause data is life wink
Devdevdev:

From what I've heard Python doesn't have much opportunities outside of Machine Learning and Data science.

Some people say PHP is outdated, others say it's the best for freelancing. This is what confuses me. I don't want to waste my time learning something that won't profit me later on.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2022
Nodejs is backend undecided

1 Like

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Devdevdev(f): 1:36pm On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Nodejs is backend undecided

I know that.

I need another backend to add to nodejs. I don't think just having nodejs as the only backend language in my stack is sufficient to get a job in today's job market.

What do you recommend between PHP, Python and Java?
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:38pm On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:

I know that.

I need another backend to add to nodejs. I don't think just having nodejs as the only backend language in my stack is sufficient to get a job in today's job market.

What do you recommend between PHP, Python and Java?

It depends if you want to work cooperate java. Freelance and small startups mostly use PHP I won't recommend python for anything except maybe to solve leetcode questions.
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Tobedated(m): 2:47pm On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:
Html,
CSS,
JavaScript,
React,
Typescript,
ExpressJs,
NodeJs,
MongoDb
MySQL

tbh I don't really know what to tag you i mean all those technologies in such short time it's either you're a content creator or you're just exceptional either way goodluck
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by ZiiVentures: 4:53pm On Nov 06, 2022
Just a little secret....C# and .... (Let me leave it there).
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Saverin: 7:30am On Nov 07, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

It depends if you want to work cooperate java. Freelance and small startups mostly use PHP I won't recommend python for anything except maybe to solve leetcode questions.

Please what do you mean by "cooperate Java" chief?
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Xinjin: 8:57am On Nov 07, 2022
You're only scared of the unknown, Get your path defined. look for a mentor or an internship position. Stand out first with what you have learnt. In the end you only work with fraction of all these you have learnt. With a couple of applications you will definitely get an interview, it's now up to you to defend your skills. How do you switch b/w male & female
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Anonymous6o6: 9:34am On Nov 07, 2022
Devdevdev:
Html,
CSS,
JavaScript,
React,
Typescript,
ExpressJs,
NodeJs,
MongoDb
MySQL

Python, Java or PHP?

Honestly... If you know this much then you're a full-stack developer. Because JavaScript will serve as your frontend while Node as backend.

If you are that good with projects to show, you shouldn't have a problem. Don't underestimate the power of JavaScript. It isn't just about learning you know...
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Anonymous6o6: 9:34am On Nov 07, 2022
JavaScript React for frontend and Node for backend.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by davien(m): 12:51pm On Nov 07, 2022
Honestly you can't go wrong going with JavaScript for backend as you'll have more jobs though I'm seeing Java backend jobs in Lagos for $100k/yr.
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by jbreezy: 12:58pm On Nov 07, 2022
What else are you looking for op?? Your skillset is enough to make you money already. Just try to improve your skills and build projects, get a good cv and PRAY!!!
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Dangrace01: 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2022
peterincredible:

I know someone very good in php laravel

Should I recommend
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by aktem(m): 9:42pm On Nov 07, 2022
It's not by doing jack of all trade(Languages), master of none, How many Solid projects have you built with the ones you know. If you are very good with Javascript / React and Node, and you know what you are doing, Sky is your starting point and opportunities are endless.
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 07, 2022
This one that started coding last month don the list heaven and earth say e sabi am

All these kind of people self

U never even really know html self u the here the type nonsense.

No serious Tech companies these days employ developer who manages front end and backend

They have separate people for each of those roles.

U never learn anything u don the find work the even the depressed on top.

Olodo with fake IQ

U will fail woefully with this your type of post and get rich quick scheme mentality.

Do fast and quit self

Nonsense!

I wonder why Nairaland no get option to hide topics and post from some people angry
Re: I Want To Add A Backend Tech To My Javascript Knowledge. Java, PHP Or Python? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:02pm On Nov 07, 2022
Devdevdev:

Python is sure for you easy to learn. Django framework already got your backend cover and it will be easy for you since you are already good with front end. Python already got your data science department covered. I feel java is a bit harder since it is purely object oriented as in you even start to do anything without declaring your class.

(1) (Reply)

Free Stanford Machine Learning Course / How Can I Create Blackberry App For My Blog? / Cicada 3301 - Today Is January 5th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.