Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match (36395 Views)

Remote Controlled Car Delivers Match Ball At Euro 2020 Opening Match (Photos) / Women's World Cup 2019: France Scores Fastest Goal In Opening Match (Photos) / World Cup 2018: Russia Prepared For World Cup Opening Match Against Saudi Arabia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:25pm On Nov 21, 2022
Iran's Soccer Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match
BY CHRISTOPHER BRITO
NOVEMBER 21, 2022 / 12:04 PM / CBS NEWS

The Iranian soccer team's players chose not to sing their country's national anthem before their opening match against England on Monday at the World Cup in Qatar, in apparent solidarity with protesters back home. As Iran's national anthem played at Khalifa International Stadium, television cameras showed the starting players standing stoically, but not singing.

Iran lost the match to England, 6-2.

Prior to the game, team captain Alireza Jahanbakhsh said he and his teammates would decide "collectively" whether they would take a stand during the anthem in support of the anti-government protests.

In the team's friendly match against Nicaragua on November 11, most of the players declined to sing the anthem, AFP reported.

England v IR Iran: Group B - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022
Iran players line up for the national anthem prior to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Group B match between England and IR Iran at Khalifa International Stadium.
JULIAN FINNEY / GETTY IMAGES

Before the gesture, the team had lost support from their fellow Iranians after meeting with Iran's hardline President Ebrahim Raisi, Holly Dagres, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council and an Iranian-American national, told CBS News correspondent Roxana Saberi.

Dagres said that while the team remaining silent during the Islamic Republic's national anthem "may seem very significant, many Iranians were already disappointed in the team's behavior during the past week."

In addition to the meeting with Raisi, Dagres said photos showing the players celebrating their World Cup entry, as "protesters were being slain in the streets by security forces," left many Iranians to view their team "as not representative of them, but of the clerical establishment."

Masih Alinejad, a New York-based activist from Iran, went further in her condemnation of the team.

"Iran is the only country in the World Cup that its people want their national football team to lose since the team doesn't represent the people but the regime," she wrote.

At least 419 protesters have been killed since September, including 60 children, and more than 17,000 people have been arrested, according to the Iranian Human Rights Activists News Agency's latest statistics. The protests have rocked Iran since the killing in police custody of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini on September 16.

Initially led by women, the protests have grown into the most significant anti-government demonstrations the regime has faced since it came to power in the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

CBSNEWS

As Iran's anthem played on, television cameras showed the country's players tight lipped.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Dalil8: 11:51pm On Nov 21, 2022
Virtue signalling.

They should not be allowed entry into Iran. Traitors!

38 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by coded01: 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
I noticed they didn't open their mouth throughout the time their national anthem was being played.

I think it's an indirect way of showing their disdain against their political leaders in Iran and solidarity for their people.

Stay strong oppressed Iranians and to everyone enslaved by their leaders all over the world - God's people will rise very soon.

"Freedom is Not Given, it is Taken" - Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose

186 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Honchoslim16(m): 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
I don't know nothin' 'bout no crime or no news

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Omniman(m): 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
grin

2 Likes

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by celestialAgent(m): 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
The last time I booked space was when I had to job. Lmao!!

3 Likes

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Gertyman: 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
Me sef go vex

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
All I am going to say is this..

In the USA, which Iran hates, four policemen put a man by the name of George floyd in a position where he died. (Now, I am not here to retry the case, or determine who was evil...so don't disturb me). All the policemen were arrested, and jailed. Yes there were protests, but at the end, no one called for the US government to be removed from power.

Iran, a girl is arrested for breaking the law. (Note: I am not here to discuss whether Hijab is right or wrong. or do the usual discussion on Islam). The cops in essence beat her to death. Beating her to death was not part of their job...they should have arrested, processed her, got her to court and done the usual sentencing. Instead, one of the cops decided to play tough guy, and hit her badly.

What the Iranian government should have done is simple. Investigate, arrest the cops involved, sack some people , make the people directly involved undergo some punishment, and who knows, they would have been hailed today. Yes, some protests, but not to the extent where they are calling for the government to be removed.

But no, they instead tried to cover it up. As a result...a lot of angry people, and mass protests. Yes they will fizzle out. But that;s another reservioir of anger for tomorrow.

The problem with Iran is not their religon, or the fact that they have 'restrictive' laws on women(I believe that Iran could benefit from a secular government, but for now, they have the form of government most of them appear to want. And anyway, I am making a point here..). It is the fact that at the end, when injustice is done by the people supposed to enforce justice, there is a cover up instead of admitting mistakes were made, and no one gets punished. As a result people get angry.

In the USA...for many years , people were subjected to police brutality..especially blacks. When the anger exploded in the 1964-68 period...where whole parts of cities burned and burned...that's when the government sat up and started implementing changes. Of course it did not change overnight...but today, be a Arrow as a law enforcement officer...and you get punished.

The Iranian government could have avoided this by putting the guy who hit Masha on trial, and either suspending or sacking him from work . Instead they tried the coverup game. The more they do not sort out things like this, the more they set unnecessary problems for themselves.

193 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by nazicartel(m): 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
Who sponsored them to Qatar nah?... I was asked by an NFF scribe about how to develop our league. I told him total privatization. He went mute for sometime. Then I asked him why he's not saying anything and he told me that people ain't showing interest in venturing into sports in Nigeria. Then I told him they can make it attractive.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Teeroyzimma: 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
Bandits are taking over this country , Agberos are terrorizing the streets of Lagos everyday but some fools still want to vote 88 year old Tinubu, don’t worry bandits go soon knock at your front door

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by djblue007(m): 11:53pm On Nov 21, 2022
Makes no difference!

1 Like

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by GualaGuala(m): 11:53pm On Nov 21, 2022
D
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Joshmoore(m): 11:53pm On Nov 21, 2022
Sane people, unlike APC drug kingpin Agbado urchins

8 Likes

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by djlawex02(m): 11:53pm On Nov 21, 2022
Dem sing or dem no sing, England put am for their body wotowoto

1 Like

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by PerfectStranger(m): 11:54pm On Nov 21, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

“Iran is the only country in the World Cup that its people want their national football team to lose”

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by frankputer: 11:56pm On Nov 21, 2022
hmmm
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by olu77(m): 11:56pm On Nov 21, 2022
They did well
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2022
The England team should be ashamed to be kneeling down in front of the Iranians who themselves were protesting against their own regimes. I wonder what England are protesting for since the Americans who their are mimicking have long forgotten about it since the rogue police had been locked up. undecided
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Ballzproblem2: 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2022
Dalil8:
Virtue signalling.

shut up your dirty mouth,women are treated poorly in that country,due that wicked religion and you call virtue signal ,a woman was tortured to death all because the force man felt she didn't put on her hijab properly, leading to protest ,women are standing up for themselves in that country, meanwhile cowards like just throw new lingos around

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2022
It's funny how Western media quickly reads meaning to everything. Most players don't sing their anthem anyway. I support Iranian protesters. But western media trying to cunningly use their situation for propaganda is a big NO.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:59pm On Nov 21, 2022
Dalil8:

Virtue signalling.

If anyone was virtue signalling it was the England team. angry
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:01am On Nov 22, 2022
coded01:

I noticed they didn't open their mouth throughout the time their national anthem was being played.

I think it's an indirect way of showing their disdain against their political leaders in Iran and solidarity for their people.

Stay strong oppressed Iranians and to everyone enslaved by their leaders all over the world - God's people will rise very soon.

I would be surprised if they return to Iran without the World Cup. shocked

1 Like

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by coded01: 12:02am On Nov 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

I would be surprised if they return to Iran without the World Cup. shocked

The People have risen
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Falseprofet2: 12:03am On Nov 22, 2022
cool
The urchins here who dont understand what freedom is would always support Khomeini and all the ayatollahs and putins of this world
Ask them to go live in those countries they wont

Freedom from religious cult of either Christian or muslim is life highest achievement

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04am On Nov 22, 2022
Kobonaire234:

All I am going to say is this..

In the USA, which Iran hates, four policemen put a man by the name of George floyd in a position where he died. (Now, I am not here to retry the case, or determine who was evil...so don't disturb me). All the policemen were arrested, and jailed. Yes there were protests, but at the end, no one called for the US government to be removed from power.

Iran, a girl is arrested for breaking the law. (Note: I am not here to discuss whether Hijab is right or wrong. or do the usual discussion on Islam). The cops in essence beat her to death. Beating her to death was not part of their job...they should have arrested, processed her, got her to court and done the usual sentencing. Instead, one of the cops decided to play tough guy, and hit her badly.

What the Iranian government should have done is simple. Investigate, arrest the cops involved, sack some people , make the people directly involved undergo some punishment, and who knows, they would have been hailed today. Yes, some protests, but not to the extent where they are calling for the government to be removed.

But no, they instead tried to cover it up. As a result...a lot of angry people, and mass protests. Yes they will fizzle out. But that;s another reservioir of anger for tomorrow.

The problem with Iran is not their religon, or the fact that they have restrictive laws on women. It is the fact that at the end, when injustice is done by the people supposed to enforce it, there is a cover up, and no one gets punished. As a result people get angry.

In the USA...for many years , people were subjected to police brutality..especially blacks. When the anger exploded in the 1964-68 period...where whole parts of cities burned and burned...that's when the government sat up and started implementing changes. Of course it did not change overnight...but today, be a Arrow as a law enforcement officer...and you get punished.

The Iranian government could have avoided this by putting the guy who hit Masha on trial, and either suspending or sacking him from work . Instead they tried the coverup game. The more they do not sort out things like this, the more they set unnecessary problems for themselves.

Why would you think a tyrannical Govt. would be interested in doing justice? undecided

11 Likes

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by BABANGBALI: 12:08am On Nov 22, 2022
Super chickens of Nigeria no fit try am
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Nobody: 12:08am On Nov 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Why would you think a tyrannical Govt. would be interested in doing justice? undecided

Because they don't want a reservoir of anger that can explode tomorrow.

The Shah, which preceded the mullahs of iran, was just as oppresive with the same issues...people got angry, anger built up over time, and then the Shah got kicked out, many of his officials got sent to the execution block , in came the Ayatollahs. Now they are making the same mistakes.

History teaches us that if anger is not addressed now, it will be addressed in the future...maybe tomorrow, maybe 80 years from now...and in ways that the ruling elite won't like.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Nobody: 12:10am On Nov 22, 2022
Dalil8:
Virtue signalling.

It is not virtue signalling.

The fact is, someone was beaten to death by the cops, and instead of the offenders being at least investigated, a coverup was done...and here we are.

Endsars was not virtue signaling. It was the result of too many offences left unpunished. (Too bad it derailed).

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by AleAirHub(m): 12:13am On Nov 22, 2022
You nail it...
More grace to your hustle...
coded01:

1 Like

Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by Softmirror: 12:14am On Nov 22, 2022
ABI ALL OF DEM NAH JEHOVAH WITNESS DEM BE?!
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by fredoooooo: 12:14am On Nov 22, 2022
Buy played or remain in the team .. the hediot shouldn't have come ..
Re: Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match by AleAirHub(m): 12:16am On Nov 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

As Iran's anthem played on, television cameras showed the country's players tight lipped.

“Iran is the only country in the World Cup that its people want their national football team to lose”

grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Dances In Shopee Advert (Photos) / NFF Offers Keshi N168 Million Two-year Deal / Transfer: Victor Osimhen Set For A Shock Move To Manchester United

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.