Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,555 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:42 PM

Arabic Language On Naira Notes - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Arabic Language On Naira Notes (661 Views)

Breaking:protest Erupts In Benin As Supreme Court Adjourns Hearing On Naira Swap / HOT: Supreme Court Order on Naira Irrelevant, Non-binding - CBN Legal Opinion / PHP - Most Popular Web Development Language On The Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arabic Language On Naira Notes by lilGiant(m): 12:19pm On Nov 23, 2022
What many Nigerians often mistaken is that the Arabic text on the Naira notes is there for religious context, that is it is an Islamic text, it is not. Let's take a look at this example.
It is now common sense that English alphabets is used for writing English language while that may be the case there's a little bit of history missing since the alphabets we credit as the English was originally known as Latin/Roman alphabets because The Romans first used these alphabets in reading and writing the Latin language before it was adapted into English, And at the dawn of English reading and writing a completely different script was used before it was changed to the now used Latin alphabets due to its versatility.
Back to the Arabic on Naira notes issue, before the Latin alphabets came to Hausa land the Hausas used these Arabic text to read and write the Hausa language but due to popular and change in education it was changed from Arabic text to Latin. Thank you for your time.
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by immortalcrown(m): 12:25pm On Nov 23, 2022
First of all, what is the English translation of the Arabic words on Naira notes?

Second of all, is the Arabic language on Naira notes the officially-recognized Hausa language in Nigeria? If no, why not use the recognized Hausa language instead of the Arabic one?
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by lilGiant(m): 12:34pm On Nov 23, 2022
immortalcrown:
First of all, what is the English translation of the Arabic words on Naira notes?

Second of all, is the Arabic language on Naira notes the officially-recognized Hausa language in Nigeria? If no, why not use the recognized Hausa language instead of the Arabic one?
They literally mean Naira Dubu Daya - 1000 Naira, Naira Dari Biyar - 500 Naira and Naira Dari biyu - 200 Naira in Arabic text.
I believe it must not get an official recognition for it to be on a note because it a Hausa identity it part of the Hausa history which in turn is a Nigerian identity. Plus some people in core North still read and write in these ajami scripts (Arabic-Hausa script)
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by immortalcrown(m): 12:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
lilGiant:

They literally mean Naira Dubu Daya - 1000 Naira, Naira Dari Biyar - 500 Naira and Naira Dari biyu - 200 Naira in Arabic text.
I believe it must not get an official recognition for it to be on a note because it a Hausa identity it part of the Hausa history which in turn is a Nigerian identity. Plus some people in core North still read and write in these ajami scripts (Arabic-Hausa script)
Your logic is very weak.

It is not the officially-recognized Hausa language. It is not even the Lingua franca Hausa uses to communicate with other tribes in Nigeria. Nigeria and Hausa people in Nigeria were not colonized by Arabic people. So, why the Arabic on Naira?

Be open to say the Arabic sign is on Naira notes because of Islamic religion and because Muslims rule Nigeria. And this shows there inequality and unfairness in Nigerian governance because Islam is not the only religion in Nigeria.
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by lilGiant(m): 1:28pm On Nov 23, 2022
immortalcrown:
Your logic is very weak.

It is not the officially-recognized Hausa language. It is not even the Lingua franca Hausa uses to communicate with other tribes in Nigeria. Nigeria and Hausa people in Nigeria were not colonized by Arabic people. So, why the Arabic on Naira?

Be open to say the Arabic sign is on Naira notes because of Islamic religion and because Muslims rule Nigeria. And this shows there inequality and unfairness in Nigerian governance because Islam is not the only religion in Nigeria.
Hmm firstly since Hausa language has been recognised officially indirectly ajami script too has been officially recognised because as I said earlier it's an undisputed fact that it has become a part of Hausa culture, it was used since before colonialism.
Lastly I kinda get where you are getting at, indeed the Arabs brought the Arabic script and Islam but I want you to see them as two different things since that's what they actually are.
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by immortalcrown(m): 2:11pm On Nov 23, 2022
lilGiant:

Hmm firstly since Hausa language has been recognised officially indirectly ajami script too has been officially recognised because as I said earlier it's an undisputed fact that it has become a part of Hausa culture, it was used since before colonialism.
Lastly I kinda get where you are getting at, indeed the Arabs brought the Arabic script and Islam but I want you to see them as two different things since that's what they actually are.
Is the Ajami language what Hausa children learn in their school? Is the Ajami what teachers use in Hausa schools? Is the Ajami used in printing textbooks for Hausa schools? If no, why not design the currency with the one Hausa schools use?
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by lilGiant(m): 3:14pm On Nov 23, 2022
immortalcrown:
Is the Ajami language what Hausa children learn in their school? Is the Ajami what teachers use in Hausa schools? Is the Ajami used in printing textbooks for Hausa schools? If no, why not design the currency with the one Hausa schools use?
Yes ajami is still being used in some core North areas, recently I saw a very popular Hausa singer say that he doesn't write in Latin Hausa text because he didn't go to Western education school he uses ajami(Arabic-Hausa script) to write down he's songs. So if it's about usability yes it's still being used and it's still being taught in Hausa language as a topic because it's part of the culture, it's in the curriculum.
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by immortalcrown(m): 3:17pm On Nov 23, 2022
lilGiant:

Yes ajami is still being used in some core North areas, recently I saw a very popular Hausa singer say that he doesn't write in Latin Hausa text because he didn't go to Western education school he uses ajami(Arabic-Hausa script) to write down he's songs. So if it's about usability yes it's still being used and it's still being taught in Hausa language as a topic because it's part of the culture, it's in the curriculum.
You said core North and you also said recently. Is it recently that that language appeared on the Naira notes or is Naira made for only the core North?
Re: Arabic Language On Naira Notes by lotkyes200: 5:02pm On Nov 23, 2022
Haba i thought you know what you want to say, so whay the Hausa on it again?

(1) (Reply)

Young People Dont Care Anymore Abt Nigeria!? / New To Nairaland! Happy To Be Here! / Hi, Am New

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.