Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,145 members, 7,829,092 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward (1878 Views)

My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration / Loneliness In Europe / How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by CountVersailles(f): 7:37am On Nov 24, 2022
There have been one too many stories of loneliness and disillusion among many Nigerian immigrants in Canada. The story is usually that these people were once super excited as they left Nigeria, only to arrive in Canada and start feeling disillusioned after a few months. What exactly is responsible for this? I will tell you.

The first is too much expectation. Many of these people are just so full of expectation. They are like the proverbial virgin who has been looking forward to sex all her life only to experience it and see that nothing dey there. Too much expectation is not good in anything, least of all Canada. You want to emigrated permanently to Canada and you are already thinking about all the fun you will have that you never had in Nigeria. How is that even possible? How does a crocodile become an alligator simply because it swam to the far end of the pond? Haba! Make una dey cool down. You guys need to temper your expectation. Canada is not heaven, even though it is way better than Nigeria. There are challenges in Canada too like there are in every single country of the world. People are also poor and suffering. You can easily become one of them when you come here. Nothing says you will suddenly achieve all that lost potential from Nigeria. So, make una dey calm down. Canada is not heaven and never think that leaving Nigeria for Canada makes your challenges any less.

Having said that, it must be said that Canada is also way better than Nigeria and provides you more opportunity, especially in the area of work. THat’ what I will talk about next.

Many of these people who complain are also poor. They are often underemployed, having left their cushy jobs in Nigeria to come and be cleaning tables in Canada. But the problem here lies squarely with them. You find that many of them are absolutely unwilling to educate themselves or to upskill in a competitive society like Canada. They think their Nigerian experience and certificate is sufficient. While this is true in some cases, in many cases it’s not. Recruiters will overlook you once they see any element of Nigeria in your CV. But you can make it better. If you are a permanent resident, the country makes it very easy for you to acquire new skills. The only problem is that many of these people don’t even want to near school ever again. How do you expect to get a good job? If you can’t upskill, I’m sorry for you. You will spend a long time in that survival job.

Some of the skills that are so easy to gain these days are around business analysis, data science, or financial analysis. So easy to master these skills or get a Canadian certificate that will show that you know something. Of course, the certificate is not enough, you still need to study because recruiters will ask you questions on the subject and not on the certificate. But at least the certificate can get you the interview, then you can show your skills.

If you don’t want to upskill, so many handyman skills are out there in the country to gain and you can make as much as white collar people. But ask my naija people na, they don’t want to become plumbers or electricians.

Complaining gets you nowhere. The loneliness in Canada is adored by some because they can live their lives without intrusion. If the loneliness is getting to you, why not just go find a wife or boyfriend? Dating apps plenty. Men are always looking for women, and vice versa. If you talk to those people who are complaining, they are also the ones who don’t like dating app. They want to meet organically. Sorry, you go dey there long o.
The solution to all these problems are out there. But if you refuse to see and instead continue complaining, you will dey there and everybody will leave you go.

6 Likes

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by ednut1(m): 8:35am On Nov 24, 2022
When in Rome behave like the romans. It’s usually the ladies who cry more. They are used to men toasting them or passing comments daily/ weekly. All of a sudden no one is doing that in Canada. So they begin to ask themselves am i no fine again. They mostly stay indoors during winter instead of networking, learning ice skating, skiing, go watch basketball or hockey. Whose fault is that if not yours. Some of them set unrealistic standards and when they get left behind or aged, like a friend of mine who is looking for an igbo man from imo state who is also a catholic since 2019 ( sister where you wan see am). They begin to lament and cry loneliness. For guys too, all your life it’s money’s u use to catch babes you now came to where the opposite sex get money then you can’t evolve So guys tried dating apps for like a month and quit cos them no get patience or game. Then begin to lament
Some people ( both sexes) too are depressed from the multiple bills. You earn 80k gross but you live in a 2000 dols condo with a 2021 benz costing you over 1500 in car note and insurance. After all you bills na 100 dols remain.

On a final note, these set of people complaining should relocate back to Nigeria or elsewhere and stop disturbing us. Mtcheeew

12 Likes

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:08am On Nov 24, 2022
ednut1:
When in Rome behave like the romans. It’s usually the ladies who cry more. They are used to men toasting them or passing comments daily/ weekly. All of a sudden no one is doing that in Canada. So they begin to ask themselves am i no fine again. They mostly stay indoors during winter instead of networking, learning ice skating, skiing, go watch basketball or hockey. Whose fault is that if not yours. Some of them set unrealistic standards and when they get left behind or aged, like a friend of mine who is looking for an igbo man from imo state who is also a catholic since 2019 ( sister where you wan see am). They begin to lament and cry loneliness. For guys too, all your life it’s money’s u use to catch babes you now came to where the opposite sex get money then you can’t evolve So guys tried dating apps for like a month and quit cos them no get patience or game. Then begin to lament
Some people ( both sexes) too are depressed from the multiple bills. You earn 80k gross but you live in a 2000 dols condo with a 2021 benz costing you over 1500 in car note and insurance. After all you bills na 100 dols remain.

On a final note, these set of people complaining should relocate back to Nigeria or elsewhere and stop disturbing us. Mtcheeew

Like they won't allow someone rest on social media. Come back no way lol.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Gerrard59(m): 12:06pm On Nov 24, 2022
ednut1:

The bold is very unrealistic for a black woman in Canada or even anywhere in the abroad. She even narrowed to state of origin?! C'mon! Don't these people have sense ni ?

Regarding returning, the problem be say when they return (which they would anyway), they will dissuade others in Nigeria from relocating to the abroad. This is after they returned to Nigeria with Canadian passports o

3 Likes

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Gerrard59(m): 12:14pm On Nov 24, 2022
The one wey burst my head today na the woman wey dey Hong Kong and said she chose the place over Canada because Canada is boring. OK, Nnne, tell us how Hong Kong is lively for a black woman?

3 Likes

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by CountVersailles(f): 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2022
ednut1:

This is also a very important point, not adjusting their expectations accordingly because earnings appear to have increased. I don't know if they continue converting to naira in their head, but our naija people suddenly feel like they have arrived and are earning millions.

You find them wanting to stay in downtown at the centre of the city when they did not live in VI or Ikoyi while in Lagos. Instead na Egbeda dem dey. Like how do you even go from there to here when nothing substantial has changed in your situation? Delayed gratification seems alien to them. This one is surprising to me. Suddenly they want to start living in expensive condos, not realising that this comes with its own bills. In the end, they can't save much. Then they complain about not being able "building wealth". "Build wealth" indeed! If you can't take the most basic financial steps to delay your gratification, how do you expect to build wealth?

In the end, it's a different society you are in. You need to adjust your expectations rightly, unless you will suffer. You need to think more in terms of what's suitable in the context of Canada and not anywhere else. And don't expect things to be handed to you on a platter.

That's how I was watching one of those "why people are leaving Canada" YouTube videos that our naija people living in Canada and enjoying all the comfort won't stop making. The lady said healthcare is not free in Canada and it's expensive too. She said that's one of the jarring things immigrants find and that's why they leave. Oh really? So you want to be handed free healthcare on a platter just like that because you are who? Queen Elizabeth? And it's in Nigeria that healthcare is free? Or better? Wake up, please!

Another will say school is really difficult in Canada, that's another surprise for immigrants. Okay, so? Shouldn't good education be difficult? You think this is like Nigeria where you don't go to class and still pass? And is that even right?

Again, expectations! It's a different society expecting different things from you. It's not Nigeria. So, adjust your expectations accordingly and stop driving yourself into the rabbit hole of complaints!

4 Likes

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by AlphaTaikun: 8:14pm On Dec 10, 2022
CountVersailles:
There have been one too many stories of loneliness and disillusion among many Nigerian immigrants in Canada. The story is usually that these people were once super excited as they left Nigeria, only to arrive in Canada and start feeling disillusioned after a few months. What exactly is responsible for this? I will tell you.

The first is too much expectation. Many of these people are just so full of expectation. They are like the proverbial virgin who has been looking forward to sex all her life only to experience it and see that nothing dey there. Too much expectation is not good in anything, least of all Canada. You want to emigrated permanently to Canada and you are already thinking about all the fun you will have that you never had in Nigeria. How is that even possible? How does a crocodile become an alligator simply because it swam to the far end of the pond? Haba! Make una dey cool down. You guys need to temper your expectation. Canada is not heaven, even though it is way better than Nigeria. There are challenges in Canada too like there are in every single country of the world. People are also poor and suffering. You can easily become one of them when you come here. Nothing says you will suddenly achieve all that lost potential from Nigeria. So, make una dey calm down. Canada is not heaven and never think that leaving Nigeria for Canada makes your challenges any less.

Having said that, it must be said that Canada is also way better than Nigeria and provides you more opportunity, especially in the area of work. THat’ what I will talk about next.

Many of these people who complain are also poor. They are often underemployed, having left their cushy jobs in Nigeria to come and be cleaning tables in Canada. But the problem here lies squarely with them. You find that many of them are absolutely unwilling to educate themselves or to upskill in a competitive society like Canada. They think their Nigerian experience and certificate is sufficient. While this is true in some cases, in many cases it’s not. Recruiters will overlook you once they see any element of Nigeria in your CV. But you can make it better. If you are a permanent resident, the country makes it very easy for you to acquire new skills. The only problem is that many of these people don’t even want to near school ever again. How do you expect to get a good job? If you can’t upskill, I’m sorry for you. You will spend a long time in that survival job.

Some of the skills that are so easy to gain these days are around business analysis, data science, or financial analysis. So easy to master these skills or get a Canadian certificate that will show that you know something. Of course, the certificate is not enough, you still need to study because recruiters will ask you questions on the subject and not on the certificate. But at least the certificate can get you the interview, then you can show your skills.

If you don’t want to upskill, so many handyman skills are out there in the country to gain and you can make as much as white collar people. But ask my naija people na, they don’t want to become plumbers or electricians.

Complaining gets you nowhere. The loneliness in Canada is adored by some because they can live their lives without intrusion. If the loneliness is getting to you, why not just go find a wife or boyfriend? Dating apps plenty. Men are always looking for women, and vice versa. If you talk to those people who are complaining, they are also the ones who don’t like dating app. They want to meet organically. Sorry, you go dey there long o.

The solution to all these problems are out there. But if you refuse to see and instead continue complaining, you will dey there and everybody will leave you go.
Nice thread!
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by AlphaTaikun: 8:25pm On Dec 10, 2022
ednut1:
When in Rome behave like the romans. It’s usually the ladies who cry more. They are used to men toasting them or passing comments daily/ weekly. All of a sudden no one is doing that in Canada. So they begin to ask themselves am i no fine again. They mostly stay indoors during winter instead of networking, learning ice skating, skiing, go watch basketball or hockey. Whose fault is that if not yours.Some of them set unrealistic standards and when they get left behind or aged, like a friend of mine who is looking for an igbo man from imo state who is also a catholic since 2019 ( sister where you wan see am). They begin to lament and cry loneliness.

For guys too, all your life it’s money’s u use to catch babes you now came to where the opposite sex get money then you can’t evolve So guys tried dating apps for like a month and quit cos them no get patience or game. Then begin to lament

Nicely put.

Flexibility is key for immigrants in any country such as Canada or the U.S.

Do NOT reinvent the wheel and take more advice from those who live in these countries before leaving Nigeria or Ghana, etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 10, 2022
Abeg shey food sha no cost there ? My own life no too had if I dey see food chop , dey pay my house rent convinently kon still get job haba e don do now...

1 Like

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by babakb: 9:12am On Dec 11, 2022
I can't wait to find my self in Canada, I so much like the loneliness part because I'm an introvert, and about upskilling? Even though I'm 38 years now immediately I find myself in Canada as a PR I would enroll into a University to study Computer Science.

I'm patiently learning French to boost my CRS and saving up money for POF.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by seemegold: 11:30am On Dec 11, 2022
Op, As a lady planning to relocate to Canada which skill can you advise i learn before coming . Thanks

1 Like

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by ChristoBam: 1:49pm On Dec 11, 2022
babakb:
I can't wait to find my self in Canada, I so much like the loneliness part because I'm an introvert, and about upskilling? Even though I'm 38 years now immediately I find myself in Canada as a PR I would enroll into a University to study Computer Science.

I'm patiently learning French to boost my CRS and saving up money for POF.

Lol worst place for introverts. No even try am.

1 Like

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by babakb: 2:06pm On Dec 11, 2022
ChristoBam:

Lol worst place for introverts. No even try am.

I need the Canadian Passport, besides my Introvert nature is simple, I just don't like talking to people but I like watching movies, sports, reading etc.

So I will be perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 11, 2022
seemegold:
Op, As a lady planning to relocate to Canada which skill can you advise i learn before coming . Thanks
If you join bangbros I bet I you will be successful than what you can ever imagine .. cool
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Ginomel(m): 6:15pm On Dec 11, 2022
Gerrard59:
The one wey burst my head today na the woman wey dey Hong Kong and said she chose the place over Canada because Canada is boring. OK, Nnne, tell us how Hong Kong is lively for a black woman?

She has the right to determine if Canada was boring to her. It's her here.
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Ginomel(m): 6:18pm On Dec 11, 2022
babakb:

I need the Canadian Passport, besides my Introvert nature is simple, I just don't like talking to people but I like watching movies, sports, reading etc.

Yeah you are right, introverts adapt to a place than extroverts.

A fact many don't know.

Introverts feel lonely only when they are denied of their privacy or their privacy -aids

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by ChristoBam: 9:38pm On Dec 11, 2022
babakb:

As an introvert you don't start conversations, try to end conversations abruptly, first dates are disasters, and so on.

You're an introvert here but I'm sure you've still got friends. You can't avoid it and you kinda underrate the effect those friends have on on your mental health.

Good luck developing these types of relationships as an introvert in Canada. You'll find out you can go a year without having any real deep conversation with anyone. No way that doesn't affect your mental health.
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by babakb: 10:54pm On Dec 11, 2022
ChristoBam:

As an introvert you don't start conversations, try to end conversations abruptly, first dates are disasters, and so on.

You're an introvert here but I'm sure you've still got friends. You can't avoid it and you kinda underrate the effect those friends have on on your mental health.

Good luck developing these types of relationships as an introvert in Canada. You'll find out you can go a year without having any real deep conversation with anyone. No way that doesn't affect your mental health.

You probably haven't met an introvert yet, my interactions with others at work place and in school is enough for my mental health, I will relax at home and watch EPL, UCL, WWE, Movies etc
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by ChristoBam: 12:22am On Dec 12, 2022
babakb:

You probably haven't met an introvert yet, my interactions with others at work place and in school is enough for my mental health, I will relax at home and watch EPL, UCL, WWE, Movies etc
Ask anyone here how interactions at the Work place or School is in Canada.

1 Like

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Originalsly: 1:41am On Dec 12, 2022
babakb:

If you read through the comments above ...they warned about expectations. Now here you are .... as an introvert.... expecting your interactions at work and school to be the same as in Nigeria ... enough for your mental health. What will happen when you go and discover it is not? ... don't you think it will affect your mental health? ... and you will join the queue complaining about lonliness?
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 12, 2022
Originalsly:

If you read through the comments above ...they warned about expectations. Now here you are .... as an introvert.... expecting your interactions at work and school to be the same as in Nigeria ... enough for your mental health. What will happen when you go and discover it is not? ... don't you think it will affect your mental health? ... and you will join the queue complaining about lonliness?
That's why I like America its not that boring many things to thrill u up. If not for gun war that country was my favourite dream country back then ...
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by babakb: 9:17am On Dec 12, 2022
Originalsly:

You have a point but I don't even need to interact with people around me to maintain my mental health, there are a lot of resources on line to keep me private and busy smiley smiley smiley

I don't even have any high expectations, I only want to go into Canada as a PR, do my time and obtain the Canadian Passport cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Originalsly: 11:10am On Dec 12, 2022
SKIDDOLEE:

That's why I like America its not that boring many things to thrill u up. If not for gun war that country was my favourite dream country back then ...

Really? ... it depends on your location in the US. Lots of places are verrrry boring ..... and an exciting day can be the day you see another Black person!
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 12, 2022
Originalsly:

Really? ... it depends on your location in the US. Lots of places are verrrry boring ..... and an exciting day can be the day you see another Black person!
Another black person? I don't understand sir..
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by Gerrard59(m): 3:46am On Dec 13, 2022
Ginomel:

She has the right to determine if Canada was boring to her. It's her here.

She later admitted psychrophobia was the reason she chose Hong Kong, not boringness. There is no way Canada can be more boring than Hong Kong for a black African woman. East Asia is radically different for a black African woman who is single.
Re: One Too Many Stories Of Loneliness And Disillusion In Canada: Way Forward by headbasher96(m): 1:47pm On Dec 13, 2022
So nigerians there cant come together and make friends with eachother so that they will have people to be checking on them from time to time.

Sha las las na amebo go full everywhere

(1) (Reply)

Abuja: Area 7, Garki To Asokoro / Burj Dubai Dancing Fountain / A Nairalander Need Help On How To Get To Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.