Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,504 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana (25855 Views)

Ghana Players Yet To Forgive Luis Suarez's 2010 World Cup Handball / Jose Gimenez In Tears As Uruguay Crash Out Of 2018 World Cup (Photos) / Uruguay Vs Portugal: World Cup (2 - 1) On 30th June 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by ogbiwa: 6:03am On Dec 02, 2022
Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has refused to apologise for his handball against Ghana in the 2010 World Cup.

Suarez was sent off in the last minute of extra time in the quarter-final for denying the Black Stars a goal with a deliberate handball on the goalline.

Asamoah Gyan missed the subsequent penalty and Uruguay went through.

"The Ghana player missed the penalty, not me," said Suarez before the teams meet in a decisive Group G match on Friday in this year's World Cup finals.

Ghana play Uruguay knowing a win would send them into the knockout stage - but a defeat would see the South American side progress if South Korea fail to beat Portugal.

If Uruguay and South Korea both win, goal difference - and possibly goals scored - would decide their fate, with the Asian side holding a one-goal advantage.

It is the first time the countries have met since the game 12 years ago, and former Liverpool striker Suarez was unrepentant despite being told by a Ghanaian journalist that some in the African country view him as "the devil himself".

"I don't apologise for it," he said. "I apologise if I injure a player but I took a red card for the handball.

"It wasn't my fault because I didn't miss the penalty."

His actions in 2010 sparked outrage in Ghana, partly as a result of his exuberant celebrations on the touchline as Uruguay won on penalties. Suarez's side were then beaten in the last four by the Netherlands.

The current Ghana squad have however sought to play down talk of revenge against Suarez and Uruguay, with captain Andre Ayew - the only remaining player from the 2010 squad - saying he wants to move on.

"Everyone felt bad [in 2010] but for me I just want to get to the next stage," he said. "Revenge or not, we would go with the same determination and desire to win.

"I am not looking back, I don't want to focus on the past."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63821327

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by ArchiLimited: 6:04am On Dec 02, 2022
His apology will not overturn the match Ghana lost. Besides he was sent off and penalty awarded to Ghana. It wasn't his fault they missed it. Abeg these guys knocked us out of the world cup so I got no love for them abeg

227 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by thesicilian: 6:05am On Dec 02, 2022
What's there to apologize for? He committed a foul and his team was penalized with a penalty, in addition to his personal punishment of a red card. What more do they want?
The Ghanaian player that missed the penalty should be the one apologizing to his country.

Double standards is when people praise one player (Maradona) for scoring a goal with his hands, with the goal not cancelled and player not penalised in any way, and criticize another player (Suarez) for stopping a goal with his hand despite being red carded and penalty awarded.

213 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by sylve11: 6:09am On Dec 02, 2022
Apologise for what na?

No difference between the offence he commited and any other booking offence.

I'd like to see Ghana progress to the next round, anyway. cool

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by sukkot: 6:09am On Dec 02, 2022
grin suarez is still playing ?

8 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Donchieli: 6:09am On Dec 02, 2022

1 Like

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by bestmutiu2019(m): 6:09am On Dec 02, 2022
They will still beat Ghana today

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Abfinest007(m): 6:10am On Dec 02, 2022
Ghanaians says I should tell Uruguay to come with eir army force too that they will defend them all

4 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Benjaniblinks(m): 6:10am On Dec 02, 2022
undecided
Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by chiefmc: 6:10am On Dec 02, 2022
Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by sukkot: 6:11am On Dec 02, 2022
bestmutiu2019:
They will still beat Ghana today
i hope not. i hope Ghana and cameroon win so we have 4 african teams. an african team may just win the world cup this year. its a high probability

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Madmazel99(m): 6:11am On Dec 02, 2022
The reason why I never liked this guy. Despite him been a good player.
Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Terver90: 6:12am On Dec 02, 2022
cheesy vawulence cooking.

5 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Obito555(m): 6:12am On Dec 02, 2022
This journalist like to cause wahala sha..the players have moved on already

10 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by bouncin04(m): 6:12am On Dec 02, 2022
Apologize for defending a goal against his country ? undecided

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Curious345: 6:13am On Dec 02, 2022
Asamoah gyang

1 Like

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 02, 2022
Why I personally will encourage His Excellence, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, not to extend a hand of fellowship with Peter Obi and Atiku, when he becomes president of The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

They knew they were against a demigod who was greater than them, and still had effrontery to contest.

Asiwaju will have to do without Atiku and Obi!

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by soberdrunk(m): 6:15am On Dec 02, 2022
African mentality------always blaming someone else for one's misfortune......... angry

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by negaiyke: 6:15am On Dec 02, 2022
Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Boderm: 6:17am On Dec 02, 2022
They should allow that matter to rest
Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Bluffly: 6:17am On Dec 02, 2022
Apology for what. He committed an offence, was punished immediately with red card and Ghana had a one on one opportunity but missed it as well.
So what is he apologizing for.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by YoungLionken(m): 6:18am On Dec 02, 2022
Why should he apologize??

A handball that saw them to victory??

He would have apologized to his country, if it led to their defeat or worse;ban..

But it was a blessing in disguise and you want him to apologize? That's ridiculous...

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Fidinno(m): 6:18am On Dec 02, 2022
How time flies, it's now 12 years ago...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by soberdrunk(m): 6:19am On Dec 02, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:
Why I personally will encourage His Excellence, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, not to extend a hand of fellowship with Peter Obi and Atiku, when he becomes president of The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

They knew they were against a demigod who was greater than them, and still had effrontery to contest.

Try dey rest, how can you carry Tinubu on your head 24hours? Them dey pay you overtime? angry

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Robnectar(m): 6:19am On Dec 02, 2022
LoL,...
Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by ogbiwa: 6:20am On Dec 02, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

While I have nothing against your preferred choice of candidate, but common sense says that you put up a post on a corresponding topic, else you start sounding like a broken record and no one will pay attention to you anymore, which in turn, de-markets the candidate you're so desperately trying to market. Even though you're being paid to do this, but don't become a nuisance to people

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Uniqueteco(m): 6:21am On Dec 02, 2022
Apology my foot

3 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by SyrusdeHansome(m): 6:21am On Dec 02, 2022
Why shud he apologies 4 helping his country win a match?

2 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by ArchiLimited: 6:22am On Dec 02, 2022
ogbiwa:

While I have nothing against your preferred choice of candidate, but common sense says that you put up a post on a corresponding topic, else you start sounding like a broken record and no one will pay attention to you anymore, which in turn, de-markets the candidate you're so desperately trying to market. Think wisely next time

Shots

5 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by inoki247: 6:22am On Dec 02, 2022
So Ghana neva move on.....

Na wu suppose dey apologize to Ghanaians daily na the Penalty taker....

just as Yakubu Aiyegbeni owe us daily apology for losing that chance against South Korea.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by Stargangz: 6:23am On Dec 02, 2022
Apologise for what exactly? Asamoah Gyan should have been treated the Escobar way, he shoud have been shot dead at the Kotoka Airport while returning from the world cup, what stops the mumu from scoring that PK?

8 Likes

Re: Suarez "Refuses To Apologize" For Handball As Uruguay Face Ghana by alingo2013(m): 6:24am On Dec 02, 2022
grin is he the one that miss the penalty, Ghana was given a chance to redeem herself by Gyan just balloon the ball like one pregnant goat

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Super Falcons Move Up In Latest FIFA World Ranking / Vincent Enyeama And Wife In New Lovely Photos / NFF Appoints Finidi George As Super Eagles Head Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.