Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer (1011 Views)

Is It Possible To Change God's Will Through Prayer ? / Break-through Prayer Quake For The ASUU/fg On-going Meeting. / Man Resurrected In Rivers - Said To Be Through Prayer From Tb Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer by yommyuk: 11:51pm On Aug 27, 2011
INTRODUCTION

It allows us to cast our burdens on the Lord and receive guidance and provision from Him. We can experience God’s power for daily living when we’re willing to seek Him earnestly and bow in reverence. If you and I approach prayer correctly, we can have confidence that He will respond to our requests.

Nehemiah knew how to stand tall and strong on his knees.
When he heard that Jerusalem’s walls and gates were in ruins, Nehemiah turned to God in prayer

Nehemiah 1:4
When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted and prayed to God of heaven.

As a result, the Lord granted him favor with King Artaxerxes. The ruler not only let Nehemiah take a leave of absence; he also supplied the exiles with building materials and military protection (Neh 2:5-9). Time and again, Nehemiah sought the Lord whenever he faced a problem. He turned to God for strength to keep going despite criticism and discouragement.

Neh 4:1-5
Sanbailat was very angry when he learned that we were rebuilding the wall. He flew into a rage and mocked the Jews, saying in front of his friends and the Samarian army officers, “What does this bunch of poor, feeble Jews think they’re doing? Do they think they can build the wall in a single day by just offering a few sacrifices? Do they actually think they can make something of stones from a rubbish heap and charred ones at that?” Tobiah, the Ammonite who was standing beside him, remarked, “That stone wall would collapse if even a fox walked along the top of it.” Then I prayed, “Hear us, our God, for we are being mocked. May their scoffing fall back on their own heads, and may they themselves become captives in a foreign land. Do not ignore their guilt. Do not blot out their guilt; Do not blot out their sins for the have provoked you to anger here in front of the builders.

The Lord gave him wisdom to know how to handle critics in chapter 6:1-5. He knew they were plotting to harm him when his enemies requested his presence. So he sent this message to them, “I am engaged in a great work, so I can’t come. Why should I stop working to come and meet with you?”

I call the above “Excellent Practical Response”.

The Lord also gave him the wisdom to defend the city against military attack (4:18). To their enemies’ surprise, the Jews rebuilt the wall in 52 days. More importantly, spiritual revival came to Jerusalem as a result of Nehemiah’s faithfulness.

HOW SHOULD WE PRAY?

Recognize that God is the Sovereign of the Universe.
Nehemiah addressed his prayer to “the great and awesome God” (1:5). Psalm 103:19 says, “The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, and His sovereignty rules over all.” Our heavenly Father never ceases to be the ruler and master of the universe.

Recognize that God is holy.
When Isaiah saw the Lord in His glory, he felt unclean, even though he had lived a faithful, righteous life (Isa. 6:1-6). The picture we see of God in the book of Revelation is similar in its majesty. As humans, we all fall short of His absolute holiness. We should approach Him with reverence and awe. The same attitude prompted Nehemiah to fast and pray for four months. He looked to God, not himself, for the answer to Jerusalem’s problems.

Confess sin.
Nehemiah included himself when he admitted the rebellion of his nation (Neh. 1:6-7). Scripture teaches that the Lord won’t hear our prayers if we’re holding onto unconfessed sin (Ps. 66:18). Purity of heart and the power of God are connected.

Recognize your inadequacy.
Nehemiah’s job had not prepared him in construction, and he was unknown to the Jews who had remained in Jerusalem. Yet God still called him to lead the restoration. When the Lord tells you to do something, He hasn’t made a mistake. He will never call you to do something that you can’t accomplish through His power and strength. In fact, God delights in using your weaknesses to teach you how to rely on Him.

Be available for God to use you.
Some prayers will never be answered unless we take an active role in their fulfillment.

Experience the Holy Spirit’s enabling power.
Nehemiah’s success was not simply a result of his education, personality, or political connections. He had developed a personal relationship with the Father (Neh. 2:4). God wants you to look at yourself as He does—as someone with potential. In the power of the Spirit, you have the ability to do whatever He asks.

Acquire God’s vision and direction.
As Nehemiah sought the Lord in prayer, God revealed his role in the city’s restoration. What’s on your heart? Surrender every dream or goal to the heavenly Father, and watch what He will do in and through you.

CONCLUSION:
As a child of God, you have the awesome privilege of falling on your knees and talking to the Ruler of the universe. Don’t take this precious gift for granted. Humbly approach the throne of grace with your needs, confess your wrongdoing, and admit that life’s challenges are too much for you to handle. The Father will reveal His plans and equip you to succeed.

Just remember what the WORD OF GOD said in Proverbs 18:10

[i]“The name of the Lord is a strong Tower, the godly run to him and are safe”[/i]

God bless wink
Re: Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer by Madcow(m): 12:20am On Aug 28, 2011
OP!

Thanks a million, your post is a word in due season for me,
God richly bless you.
Re: Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer by trekkie: 12:23am On Aug 28, 2011
God bless.
Re: Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer by yommyuk: 5:56am On Aug 28, 2011
trekkie:

yommy omo jesu
as usual, it seems god sends me to nairaland to hear from you when i am at a cross roads. thanks for this write up as i was just struggling with a reluctance to pray and then i see this.
thanks for allowing christ speak through you.
i recognize the tremendous job you and frosbel are doing.
God bless.

Let's give God the glory

God bless wink
Re: Standing Tall And Strong Through Prayer by iwemfoo: 12:55am On Aug 29, 2011
God bless you OP and thank you for this.

(1) (Reply)

The One Way And The Only Way: Proves! / The Cosmic Laws Of Cosmic Awareness By Iebele Abel / What Do You Think About The Origin & Existence Of God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.