Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,026 members, 7,852,520 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:36 PM

Dear Young People. If You Want To JAPA , Please Do So But Do It Sensibly. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Young People. If You Want To JAPA , Please Do So But Do It Sensibly. (1035 Views)

How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / Canada Is ‘Stealing’ Our Young People! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Young People. If You Want To JAPA , Please Do So But Do It Sensibly. by gforce5: 4:31pm On Dec 12, 2022
Yes, young people under the age of 35, if you want to migrate out of the country please do so. I even encourage it. The country has made life a living hell for young people. Our parents' generation enjoyed the best of Nigeria but left us with a messed up system. All sectors of the economy are dead with the exception of the entertainment industry. Unemployment is sky high. The few jobs that are available can bare cover the cost of living and the high paying jobs are cornered by those with connections. Business is tough for entrepreneurs due to the cost of importation and other expenses.

It's very understandable that millions of young Nigerians are frustrated and want out. However, abroad is also very tight right now. COVID has a serious impact on many western countries. Their own citizens are struggling to maintain a job. Abroad, you will have to start from scratch as your degree is not rated over there. If you are of a certain age (36 & above), starting over isn't easy. There's also competition for jobs.

People should take the following steps if they want to JAPA successfully. Do some research on the countries you want to migrate to. You have to take it like a PHD thesis. Study everything about your intended destination. Don't just rush there. Look at the pros and cons. If you have the finances, do try to visit those countries so that you can see with your own eyes what's on ground. Think out of the box and look into non-English speaking countries. Nigerians have this mindset that only the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia and Ireland are worth migrating to. Those countries are very expensive. Very competitive and with the exception of Canada have anti-immigration policies.

You want to migrate to a country that guarantees you citizenship within a short period (5-6 years). With dual citizenship, you can always travel back and forth to Nigeria. In fact, it is encouraging to do so. Never put all eggs in one basket. Don't sell all your assets in Nigeria in the name of migrating. Many people lived to regret it. Keep some of it as insurance in case any thing happens to you abroad.

To conclude, Japaing is good but it has to be done sensibly. I am a product of the original JAPA. Living abroad has made me see life from a different perspective that a Nigerian who has lived all his/her live abroad would not understand. Life is all about choices. If you feel that you are doing well in Nigeria then stay put. Otherwise, it's good to explore other options while you are still young.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Young People. If You Want To JAPA , Please Do So But Do It Sensibly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:19pm On Dec 12, 2022
Usa is the best country in the world but except one is marrying a citizen it's almost impossible to migrate to the usa and get a green card. Even as a student, you have a limited time on OPT before you get H1B. The H1B thing is even a lottery and if you lose your job while on H1B you have 60 days to find another or go back to your country. You need to be on H1B to qualify for green card. That's a very long process. Canada is actually the best place to go from Nigeria and Australia if you can get the opportunity. I don't think the UK has much to offer anyone economically.

12 Likes

Re: Dear Young People. If You Want To JAPA , Please Do So But Do It Sensibly. by dopedan(m): 6:32pm On Dec 12, 2022
Following
Re: Dear Young People. If You Want To JAPA , Please Do So But Do It Sensibly. by Gerrard59(m): 4:29am On Dec 13, 2022
I wrote this more than two years ago, it's still valid.

Gerrard59:
I feel I should try to elucidate some things with my little knowledge on migration:

- Individuals should understand that at the end of the day, your finances (aka money) is more important than the destination. You can have all the dreams (anyone can dream) but to actualise those dreams, you need the money. Mere sending documents via courier costs a lot and you might be required to send more than once. Another expense is English proficiency tests, I keep reading folks who ask about the possibility of getting admission without writing these tests (GRE, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL etc) but you need to understand schools who would waive these tests (majority do now because of Covid-19) are low ranking, won't offer scholarships and will be expensive. The last thing I can advise a black African to do is to attend a low ranking institution abroad, don't compare yourself to blacks there who are citizens. Is it bank balance statement? Flight tickets? Living expenses? School fees? Quarantine period expenses? Tests' costs? So, everything boils to money. Start saving rigorously but do so in dollars (I got to know this hack from Kemi Onabanjo - associate partner @McKinsey&Co who went to INSEAD, France - who saved the bulk of her school fees in dollars before devaluation occured five years ago as a result of decline in crude oil prices) not naira, and save under your pillow. Emefiele aka Meffy has been very funny. .

- Study the countries' route to citizenship (the outright goal for many here, I believe). The longer it takes, the more discouraging. A country like Switzerland should not be on your radar but Austria should. Policies can change but you should be strategic and think long term. However, in some cases, you can aim to study in a Country A and use the degree to work in Country B whose route to citizenship is easier. Does not sound easy but hey, nothing good comes easy. For instance, we know schooling in Canada is expensive (the person I know who finished there has uncles working in ExxonMobil & Shell) and the requirements from the embassy is one of a kind. Mind you, 8 out of 10 students are denied student visas (https://qz.com/africa/1708714/canada-rejects-most-african-student-visa-applicants/). But if your aim is to work/live in Canada, you could do that by aiming to get a graduate program that is fully funded in the US, preferably a top university. Finish from there and apply for jobs in Canada. Why the US for graduate studies? The US is the number one country in funding grad students, a place where the higher education system is well developed and has disproportionately the highest number of top universities globally according to the top three higher education ranking agencies (ARWU, QS & THEducation). Canada does not fund grad students as much as the US esp in MSc courses. Like I said, target top universities. A degree from Cornell University would not be downgraded irrespective of the colour of your skin or nationality (quotas might exist). But remember, to get a funded position in most US universities, you need to write the GRE, GMAT &/or TOEFL, so get ready.

- Conduct your research on everything from schools, type of degrees, cities, currencies, languages etc. You are the one who wants to japa not the person reading it and even if, don't expect random strangers to do everything for you. If you ask how do I apply to grad programs in this country and you are given responses. Do not ask: how do I contact professors, that is your responsibility. Dem don give you mattress, you dey ask for pillow? Whether work visas, skilled migration route or employment opportunities, conduct your research. That is why Google.com exists.

- There are some relatively unknown/unpopular countries with easier migration routes, target those places. As a Nigerian, you should know by now that the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Australia are very popular and highly competitive. But what about Mexico, Brazil or even South Korea? They can be stepping stones to your favourite which even if you do not attain citizenship in your favourite, you can do so in those countries as they have stronger passports than Nigeria.

- Know your limitations and be strategic. You are a bloody Nigerian, your educational background is not well regarded in the abroad. You did not work in top MNCs whose brand name you can leverage on or do not possess skills/qualifications that are demanded globally yet you expect work visas just like that?

- Passionately learn the language of the country if her lingua franca is not English. Don't expect employment opportunities in Germany to be offered on a platter of gold yet you are not interested in learning German even though job ads of almost a million are advertised daily or same in Brazil yet to learn Portuguese na wahala for you. Don't be surprised or angry that Seoul University requested you submit IELTS score even though the official language of Korea is not English. Newsflash!!! Nigeria is not regarded as a native English speaking country, only South Africa has that title in Africa. Even if you are offered the possibility of gaining admission without it, write it 'cos it can make the difference in scholarship opportunities.

- Stay away from Woke people! They might share the same skin colour but their experiences differ from yours. When listening/reading tales from people in the abroad who warn you from relocating, ask questions. Try to know their migration route and citizenship/economic status. Someone who left via tourist visa and another who went for MBA at Haas School of Business would have different experiences, learn the mistakes the former made and strategies the latter did. Anyone who discourages you from relocating when s/he has not relocated to Nigeria is hypocritically wicked and does not wish you well (and if you check those who relocated, they are already citizens of developed countries). Flee from such people.

Best wishes!

In summary, since the vast majority of those who have japa'd will eventually return (my belief), they should target countries where citizenship status can be attained in the shortest time. This decade has been extremely favourable to black Africans who are skilled in terms of immigration policies. Next decade fit no be so.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Us-canada Agree To Turn Back Asylum Seekers At Border / Study In Malaysia-may Entry / What Happened At The Embassy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.