Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Brief History Of Mushin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Brief History Of Mushin (1243 Views)

A Brief History Of Mushin / The Historical Of Mushin ,lagos / A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brief History Of Mushin by duro4chang(m): 8:12am On Dec 18, 2022
MUSHIN: A BRIEF HISTORY

The area known as Mushin today was a thick forest some 800 years ago. Because of its proximity to Èkó, Traders and Hunters ply through the dense forest to get to èbúté.

In this forest, stood a very beautiful and attractive tree called Igi Ìshín (ackee fruit tree), some of the traders who have walked for several days, usually rest under the Ìshín tree. But two hunters who came from different directions first identify this unoccupied forest as their home, they were Odu-Abore from IIe-Ife and Aileru from Benin. Anytime these Hunters want to describe their home, they will say ibi tí a ti n mú Ìshín (where we pick Ìshín) hence its name (mu) as in pick and (Ìshín); Mushin. From hamlets, it grew gradually into a village and then a town.

During the colonial era, Mushin was part of the Ikeja Local Government until it was carved out as a district in 1954. With the Army’s suspension of Political activities in 1966, and the creation of additional district in 1967, Mushin District Council was elevated to a Town Council Status.

The 1976 Local Government Edict divided the council into two, Mushin West which covers Mushin, Agege Motor road, Isolo, Shogunle,Onigbongbo,Ejigbo, Odi Olowo, Mary land, Ilupeju,Cappa Estate; and Mushin East Covered Bariga, Shomolu, and Kosofe.
Later the Lagos state Government changed Mushin East to Shomolu Local Government, while Mushin West became known and addressed as Mushin Local Government. During the civilian regime of Alhaji Lateef Jakanke between (1979-1983) the Local Government was again divided into four Namely; Mushin LG, Itire/ikate LG,Oshodi/Isolo LG, and Odi Olowo/Ojuwoye/Onigbongbo LG.

The Military administration of Gbolahan Mudashiru prohibited and abolished the newly created Local Government and reverted to the status quo.

The subsequent creation of Local Government by the Military administration in 1989, saw Mushin losing some of its boundaries to Ikeja and Mainland Local Governments. In 2004, after a referendum, Odi Olowo/Ojuwoye LCDA was carved out of the present Mushin Local Government, with the headquarters at Palm Avenue Mushin.

Copied

2 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by anibirelawal(m): 8:39am On Dec 18, 2022
Good to know.

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by muyico(m): 9:34am On Dec 18, 2022
Gud update, i nava hrd igbo histry here why?

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by anthonyuncle(m): 9:47am On Dec 18, 2022
thanks
Re: Brief History Of Mushin by duro4chang(m): 10:13am On Dec 18, 2022
muyico:
Gud update, I nava hrd igbo histry here why?
The reason is that I don't want unnecessary argument because most of these histories I posted here are copied and i cannot really say how true they are. If I should post igbo history that is not correct, the insult i will receive here will be too much. But if you want it, I will be posting it too.
Re: Brief History Of Mushin by AreaFada2: 1:30am On Dec 20, 2022
duro4chang:
The reason is that I don't want unnecessary argument because most of these histories I posted here are copied and i cannot really say how true they are. If I should post igbo history that is not correct, the insult i will receive here will be too much. But if you want it, I will be posting it too.

Folks, another history about a hunter from Benin and Ife as founders of Mushin in Lagos State. Make we dey mark them o.

We nor dey follow anybody drag anything o. But if lies and envy began their journey 50 years before truth, truth will one day overtake them kia kia.

When we say Edo full everywhere, envious neighbours will say 7LGAs. cheesy cheesy grin

Gregyboy
UGBE634
Samuk
Etinosa
AutomaticMotors

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by AutomaticMotors: 1:54am On Dec 20, 2022
AreaFada2:

Folks, another history about a hunter from Benin and Ife as founders of Mushin in Lagos State. Make we dey mark them o.

We nor dey follow anybody drag anything o. But if lies and envy began their journey 50 years before truth, truth will one day overtake them kia kia.

When we say Edo full everywhere, envious neighbours will say 7LGAs. cheesy cheesy grin

Gregyboy
UGBE634
Samuk
Etinosa
AutomaticMotors

grin grin grin
Re: Brief History Of Mushin by samuk: 9:53pm On Dec 20, 2022
AreaFada2:

Gregyboy
UGBE634
Samuk
Etinosa
AutomaticMotors

The future versions of these stories will not even reference Benin, we can already see it with Owo history. People just wake up and manufacture stories as histories.

4 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by AreaFada2: 12:29am On Dec 21, 2022
samuk:

The future versions of these stories will not even reference Benin, we can already see it with Owo history. People just wake up and manufacture stories as histories.
I mentioned the bolded regarding Igando a few days back.

With Owo it was first moving from Benin, then moving from Ife through Benin (stayed long in Benin and moved much later) and recently it is moving directly from Ife. With Upele near Owo it was moving from Benin, then 6 families from Benin plus one from Ife joined them. The 7 families make up the kingdom. This is the current version. An Ife person needed to be snuck into the story. Don't be surprised that 20 years from now, it will be 6 families came from Ife and one from Benin and 20 years later it could be all 7 families from Ife.
You only need one so-called prof from UI, OAU or Unilag ("the Lagos-Ibadan propaganda publishers" ) to publish a few nonsense on it to provide "evidence or proof".

We that have the strongest ties to Eastern Yorubaland know the truth.

Eastern Yoruba who maintain Benin origin feel marginalised and are now claiming Ife otherwise they may be called "Omale" for being honest to themselves. Others may lose out in struggle for royal stools.

There is already a case in Ondo State in a town with 2 kings. The original king known in the place who maintains Benin origin is being called stranger by the smaller king who claims Ife. In the future, the Benin origin king's descendants may not be bold enough to claim Benin for fear of losing out due to ethnic politics. I prefer not to mention the town but Google is your friend for further information.

We can see marginalisation, politics and fear eroding history. Not everybody cares about truth or what is genuine. Many are mere politicians culturally.

What we are writing here now may not seem important but we need to because there are many silent readers and younger ones may stumble upon them decades from now.

For too long, we Edo people, confident in our history and its solidity, looked away as others were enviously chipping away at it. Granted, it is exercise in futility. We are not worried. Still we must not look away but put the record straight.

If the Benin Bronzes being returned from UK, Germany and elsewhere now were to be happening 100 years from now, there would be voodoo historians who would claim, perhaps with 80 million strong tribal population, that they originally came from Ife. I kid you not. Luckily, 1897 is still fresh enough memory,

Gregyboy
UGBE634
Samuk
Etinosa1
AutomaticMotors

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by AutomaticMotors: 2:01am On Dec 21, 2022
AreaFada2:

I mentioned the bolded regarding Igando a few days back.

With Owo it was first moving from Benin, then moving from Ife through Benin (stayed long in Benin and moved much later) and recently it is moving directly from Ife. With Upele near Owo it was moving from Benin, then 6 families from Benin plus one from Ife joined them. The 7 families make up the kingdom. This is the current version. An Ife person needed to be snuck into the story. Don't be surprised that 20 years from now, it will be 6 families came from Ife and one from Benin and 20 years later it could be all 7 families from Ife.
You only need one so-called prof from UI, OAU or Unilag ("the Lagos-Ibadan propaganda publishers" ) to publish a few nonsense on it to provide "evidence or proof".

We that have the strongest ties to Eastern Yorubaland know the truth.

Eastern Yoruba who maintain Benin origin feel marginalised and are now claiming Ife otherwise they may be called "Omale" for being honest to themselves. Others may lose out in struggle for royal stools.

There is already a case in Ondo State in a town with 2 kings. The original king known in the place who maintains Benin origin is being called stranger by the smaller king who claims Ife. In the future, the Benin origin king's descendants may not be bold enough to claim Benin for fear of losing out due to ethnic politics. I prefer not to mention the town but Google is your friend for further information.

We can see marginalisation, politics and fear eroding history. Not everybody cares about truth or what is genuine. Many are mere politicians culturally.

What we are writing here now may not seem important but we need to because there are many silent readers and younger ones may stumble upon them decades from now.

For too long, we Edo people, confident in our history and its solidity, looked away as others were enviously chipping away at it. Granted, it is exercise in futility. We are not worried. Still we must not look away but put the record straight.

If the Benin Bronzes being returned from UK, Germany and elsewhere now were to be happening 100 years from now, there would voodoo historians who would claim, perhaps with 80 million strong tribal population, that they originally came from Ife. I kid you not. Luckily, 1897 is still fresh enough memory,

Gregyboy
UGBE634
Samuk
Etinosa1
AutomaticMotors
Everything you typed up there is facts boss, me personally I remember that issue of the two kings, it's in a town in Ondo I believe, if I am not mistaken it is close to okitipupa if not even the town itself ! The Benin descendant is the real heir of the Throne but the usurper went to ooni of ife to concort an ife migration fairy tale and he is now claiming he is the rightfull king

5 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by macof(m): 2:41pm On Dec 26, 2022
AutomaticMotors:

Everything you typed up there is facts boss, me personally I remember that issue of the two kings, it's in a town in Ondo I believe, if I am not mistaken it is close to okitipupa if not even the town itself ! The Benin descendant is the real heir of the Throne but the usurper went to ooni of ife to concort an ife migration fairy tale and he is now claiming he is the rightfull king

All of you keep crying hot tears

I enjoy seeing Bini rants and how nobody takes you seriously, it must be frustrating

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by AutomaticMotors: 3:06pm On Dec 26, 2022
macof:

All of you keep crying hot tears

I enjoy seeing Bini rants and how nobody takes you seriously, it must be frustrating

Look at who is talking grin grin grin.... You are the last thing I would ever take serious on this site, mind you the HTML files of this site inclusive grin

You Gerrit? Am sure you don't numb skull!!

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by TakeNigeriaBack: 1:34am On Dec 27, 2022
Bini monkies are now crying all over this beautiful thread cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Brief History Of Mushin by Dayaa: 11:30am On Dec 27, 2022
[i]According to the laws of science, as long as no currently living person was there to witness it first hand, every history remains a claim.

(1) (Reply)

Is There An Ethiopian Community In Nigeria? / Please Check This Culture Out.( viewers discretion) / The Beef Between Africans & African Americans: Why Can’t We Get Along?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.