Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? (1395 Views)

Pele Ranked The Greatest Footballer Of All Time By BBC Poll, Messi 2nd / Alex Iwobi Becomes Most Expensive Nigerian Footballer Ever / Rio Ferdinand: Okocha, Best African Footballer Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by od4life(m): 7:41pm On Dec 18, 2022
Having won 8 Ballon d'Or, Copa America Trophy and 2022 FIFA World Cup Winner, is Lionel Messi the greatest footballer ever?

1 Like

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by aswani(m): 8:10pm On Dec 18, 2022
No, Diego Maradona is.
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by od4life(m): 8:27pm On Dec 18, 2022
aswani:
No, Diego Maradona is.
I disagree. What was Maradona's greatest achievement? 1986 world cup win. And Messi has not not equalled that record, but surpassed it by winning more awards than Maradona did.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by aswani(m): 8:29pm On Dec 18, 2022
od4life:

I disagree. What was Maradona's greatest achievement? 1986 world cup win. And Messi has not not equalled that record, but surpassed it by winning more awards than Maradona did.
Your choice to disagree, Maradona for me, Messi for you, nutin spoil.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by joyandfaith: 8:34pm On Dec 18, 2022
Na pele and maradona we know. Messi should win 1 or 2 more world cups.
2026 is already here.
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by od4life(m): 8:41pm On Dec 18, 2022
joyandfaith:
2026 is already here.
How many world cups did Maradona win?
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by joyandfaith: 8:45pm On Dec 18, 2022
od4life:

How many world cups did Maradona win?
Of course. Maradona 1 Messi 1. He should win more than Maradona and pele.
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by MrColdsweat: 8:54pm On Dec 18, 2022
I think pele won 3 World cups

1 Like

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by od4life(m): 8:56pm On Dec 18, 2022
MrColdsweat:
I think pele won 3 World cups
Yes Pele won 3 world cups. But he didn't win many awards like Lionel Messi did.

6 Likes

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by od4life(m): 8:57pm On Dec 18, 2022
joyandfaith:

That's why I said that Messi has surpassed Maradona's achievements by winning more awards than he did.

1 Like

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by MrColdsweat: 9:01pm On Dec 18, 2022
od4life:

All football awards except the golden boot and golden glove are fraudulent because there's no clear criteria to judge.

Tell me, how do you compare a defender to a striker then say the striker is the best player? Modern Football awards like balon d'or, uefa player of the year, are mainly about goals but football is much more than goals. Infact, defending is tougher than scoring but that's a discussion for another day.

5 Likes

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by bonechamberlain(m): 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2022
od4life:

those awards were they in existence when Pele, played. 3 world cups is no fluke.

I began to have some doubts about Messi, when he won the 2010 world best player ahead of Snieder, iniesta, Xavi. That year it looked as if FIFA would do anything for Messi.

No doubt he is exceptional and talented but let the field be level for all to play

3 Likes

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by aswani(m): 9:07pm On Dec 18, 2022
MrColdsweat:

All football awards except the golden boot and golden glove are fraudulent because there's no clear criteria to judge.

Tell me, how do you compare a defender to a striker then say the striker is the best player? Modern Football awards like balon d'or, uefa player of the year, are mainly about goals but football is much more than goals. Infact, defending is tougher than scoring but that's a discussion for another day.

Mr ColdSweat, you are right.
Beckham was voted 3rd best in the world one year, Man Utd fans that go to Old Trafford regularly around that time joked that he wasn't even 3rd best midfielder in their team.
According to them he was behind Keane, Giggs and Scholes in that order.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by Jokerman(m): 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2022
This changes nothing.

Ronaldo still my GOAT

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by od4life(m): 9:12pm On Dec 18, 2022
MrColdsweat:

You made a valid point: Football is much more than goals. So scoring goals shouldn't be a criteria in determining the best player award.
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by FirstbornWds: 9:13pm On Dec 18, 2022
Jokerman:
This changes nothing.

Ronaldo still my GOAT

You are very inconsistent.

I thought you said the world cup was the pinnacle.

1 Like

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by Nnaemiemax: 9:28pm On Dec 18, 2022
Let's all save ourselves the stress. undecided

Messi winning the World Cup combined with other stunning club, country, regional, and individual accomplishments (7 Ballon d'Ors, + 8th Ballon d'Or & FIFA Best all in the pipeline) emphatically places him as the greatest footballer of all time.

Comparing this wonder of a player to anyone is totally unnecessary. At 35 he still replicated the side run he did against bilbao in his 20s against croatia, still poses as a dreadful threat in the 18 box..

Guys, let's just give it up to Messi.
As far as football is concern he stays high up as the GOAT. cool

4 Likes

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by ThierryJay: 9:32pm On Dec 18, 2022
Jokerman:
This changes nothing.

Ronaldo still my GOAT

I'm looking "atew" thinking of which part of you I should start my trolling from cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by aswani(m): 9:32pm On Dec 18, 2022
Nnaemiemax:
Let's all save ourselves the stress. undecided

Messi winning the World Cup combined with other stunning club, country, regional, and individual accomplishments (7 Ballon d'Ors, + 8th Ballon d'Ors & FIFA Best all in the pipeline) emphatically places him as the greatest footballer of all time.

Maradona is the greatest footballer of all time. Lesser footballers might have won more than him but he is still the Numero Uno.

1 Like

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by Jokerman(m): 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2022
FirstbornWds:

You are very inconsistent.

I thought you said the world cup was the pinnacle.

Yes.

I know Messi is topping Now officially, no doubt, but Ronaldo is still my GOAT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by Jokerman(m): 9:36pm On Dec 18, 2022
ThierryJay:

I'm looking "atew" thinking of which part of you I should start my trolling from cheesy cheesy

No need. I accept Messi is topping now, but Ronaldo is still my GOAT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by ThierryJay: 9:43pm On Dec 18, 2022
Jokerman:

grin grin Common it's not that bad na, or is it? Chai the thing wey this imagined rivalry do una.

I dont mind buying you drinks to celebrate with me wink
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by LILTJAY: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2022
od4life:

go and check Pele records
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by oyatainer(m): 11:27pm On Dec 18, 2022
No one has the all round achievements like Messi at clubs and country. He has won everything he participated in. The only he has not won are the ones he never participated in.
Say the truth from under 20, under 23, clubs with 38 trophies and this world cup. Saying the truth may liberate ur goat one day too.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by Pinterest: 12:33am On Dec 19, 2022
Jokerman:

Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by Don27tiky(m): 12:40am On Dec 19, 2022
joyandfaith:
2026 is already here.
Do you know that Messi has done it at all level? Something nobody in the history of football has come close to
Under 20 World Cup
Olympic gold medalists
Copa America
World Cup
He is the most consistent player . Winning the World Cup at 35, deserves respect even from Pele and maradona
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by Don27tiky(m): 12:42am On Dec 19, 2022
joyandfaith:

he has under 20 World Cup and Olympic medals for Argentina. Maradona no come close
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by joyandfaith: 1:04am On Dec 19, 2022
Don27tiky:
he has under 20 World Cup and Olympic medals for Argentina. Maradona no come close

In the next 30 years, young people then would say messi no come close..
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by joyandfaith: 1:06am On Dec 19, 2022
Don27tiky:
Do you know that Messi has done it at all level? Something nobody in the history of football has come close to
Under 20 World Cup
Olympic gold medalists
Copa America
World Cup
He is the most consistent player . Winning the World Cup at 35, deserves respect even from Pele and maradona

And he didn't win at 19? Mbappe won it at 19. Pele won it at 17.
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by shimolv: 1:34am On Dec 19, 2022
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by od4life(m): 7:32am On Dec 19, 2022
LILTJAY:
go and check Pele records
How many times did Pele win the World Footballer of the Year Award?
Re: Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Footballer Ever? by LILTJAY: 8:42am On Dec 19, 2022
od4life:

How many times did Pele win the World Footballer of the Year Award?
the award was introduce in 1991..
if it had been introduced during Pele's reigning and youthful days, trust me, he would have won it repeatedly..
most of the awards today were not there 30-40yrs ago

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cape Verde Are Cheats Caf Should Make Proper Investigation / 2010 World Cup Match Live Score Alart On Your Phone / Breaking News: Ghanaian Footballer, John Pantsil, Stabs Wife Aderonke Ogunleye -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.