Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,579 members, 7,823,511 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 (13315 Views)

90% Of 2023 Diaspora Remittances Didn’t Get To Nigeria — Oyedele / Diversion Of Diaspora Remittances To Black Market Weakens Naira - CBN / CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by LegendHero(m): 4:13pm On Dec 21, 2022
Moh247:

Naso but it's CBN and banks duty to make the system more secure for legit people and make it strict for scam

Yes you’re right tho. But I think it’s two way thing.

The USA too need to block it from the source which they tried and succeeded to an extent.

Those scammers resorted to gift cards and bitcoin when WG, MG, and etc got right.

No matter what you do, Nigeria criminals always adapt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Eniitankorede: 4:15pm On Dec 21, 2022
Moh247:
cool

It's continuously difficult to make remitances into Nigeria, WU, MG are all bullshit, PayPal is fvcked

Buhari keeps shouting Kwaraption Kwaraption about, with Emefiele setting us up like every cash in flow is linked to Yahoo and Drugs

They actually do not consider informal channels which most Nigerians abroad use because of the higher exchange rate and lower commissions. If that’s considered we should be number 3 after India and Pakistan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Teddy78(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2022
That, or the inflow amounts increased without the number of senders necessarily increasing.

dominique:
So people are japaing from Egypt too? For Egypt to be the no.1 African country in the list, that means they have a lot of citizens in the diaspora sending money home. Either that or our people in obodo oyinbo are no longer sending home like before. They din use over billing to drive them away
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by NwaMamaIwota(f): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2022
Tinubuwins2023e:
70% of that money is received by yahoo boys
hunny pie kiss
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Moh247: 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2022
Eniitankorede:

They actually do not consider informal channels which most Nigerians abroad use because of the higher exchange rate and lower commissions. If that’s considered we should be number 3 after India and Pakistan.

True.. Bitcoin exchanges are really picking up sales
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by kenoyad: 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2022
Reason for decline in Nigeria figure is due to banking and financial manipulations. If all remittances are properly accounted for, Nigeria would be at least number 3 or 4.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by sorepco(m): 4:19pm On Dec 21, 2022
Mistly middleast. High valuebremitances not 300 or 500 dollars!

dominique:
So people are japaing from Egypt too? For Egypt to be the no.1 African country in the list, that means they have a lot of citizens in the diaspora sending money home. Either that or our people in obodo oyinbo are no longer sending home like before. They din use over billing to drive them away
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by SmartPolician: 4:21pm On Dec 21, 2022
dominique:

Some Nigerians prefer to buy goods and send them back home, especially if their sources of livelihood aren't legit.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by GEEBITE: 4:21pm On Dec 21, 2022
The diaspora remittances can no longer be well captured again. Nigerians have found many other easy and convenient channels to send money home under the radar. Nigeria diaspora remiitance is certainly biigger than that of Egypt.
ProvisioDigital:
▪ Often called 'diaspora' remittances (the word, diaspora has some negative connotation but popularly used in Nigeria for Nigerian migrants) in the world, these ten countries have received the largest remittance from their citizens abroad in 2021:
1. India
2. Mexico
3. China
4. Philippines
5. Egypt
6. Pakistan
7. France
8. Bangladesh
9. Germany
10. Nigeria

 Nigeria and Egypt are the 2 African countries that consistently feature in the top ten. Nigeria used to receive more remittances than Egypt but from 2017, this changed. Egypt has been the 5th largest recipient of remittances in the world since 2017.

▪ From 2010 to 2011, Nigeria was the 5th largest recipient; from 2012 to 2015, Nigeria was the 6th; from 2016 to 2019, Nigeria was the 7th and in 2020, Nigeria finally dropped to the 10th place. Closely following Nigeria in 11th place is Ukraine ($18.1b), this could be attributed to the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

▪ Nigeria and Egypt had both been receiving above $20bn since 2017 but in 2020, Nigeria's remittance dropped to $17.1bn. According to the World Bank, countries that experienced scarcity of foreign exchange and multiple exchange rates witnessed decline in remittance inflows as flows went to alternate mediums where better rates were offered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn-yby3mVEw

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by PHIPEX(m): 4:24pm On Dec 21, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Impressive!! So what is now our Gini coefficient?

Most of it came from remittances to SW and these top 10 states with Edo state leading and all the 6 SW states in the top 10.

https://twitter.com/StatiSense/status/1603631547810254848?t=Hk_H6ZM4EXok_aTdaTKHhg&s=19

RECEIVING INT'L REMITTANCES

Household, %
1 �Edo — 25.3%
2 �Oyo — 14.2%
3 �Imo — 12.9%
4 �Ogun — 11.9%
5 �Lagos — 11.5%
6 �Ondo — 9.4%
7 �Delta — 9.3%
8 �Ekiti — 8.7%
9 �Abia — 7.3%
10 �Osun — 6.3%

�South East �South South �South West

#StatiSense
check my signature for free stuffs!
I can tell you for free that most of those from the East use their remittance to buy goods and it comes as import instead of remittance, that's equivalent to earning a profit from same "remittance".

3 Likes

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by xandy84: 4:24pm On Dec 21, 2022
You're absolutely right. Informal tranfer account for over 60 % of Nigeria remittance. I have not used WU or MG over 5 years cos the huge difference in exchange rate. Why send money thru WU or MG when I can zelle someone and the Naira will drop in few minutes in Lagos. After India and possibly Pakistan, Nigeria should be third on the list.

Eniitankorede:

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by SmartPolician: 4:26pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ogurube:
The remittances to Nigeria will continue to dwindle if our government, families, and friends back home continue to take for granted the hard-earned monies being sent to them. It is exhausting to see some of our people waste money on useless things, rather than making productive attempts to invest the money given.

The major reason is that Nigerians don't like paying charges on remittances. Instead, they go through channels they don't have to pay high fees.

Also, some people use their money to buy goods overseas, ship to Nigeria and have someone sell them.

This is often if their money is not legit. Such money won't appear under diaspora remittance.

PS: Swift is making a hell of money for facilitating all these cross-border remittances.

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Tinubuwins2023e: 4:28pm On Dec 21, 2022
NwaMamaIwota:
hunny pie kiss

Vote Tinubu undecided
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Ogurube: 4:29pm On Dec 21, 2022
I agree. That’s what I do. I send cars, computers, and other useful items to help myself and family members.

PHIPEX:
I can tell you for free that most of those from the East use their remittance to buy goods and it comes as import instead of remittance, that's equivalent to earning a profit from same "remittance".

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by olamike02: 4:29pm On Dec 21, 2022
henro4niger:
Remember to get your PVC and vote for the best candidate, H.E Peter Obi. God bless Nigeria, God bless our incoming president, PO
Pandora saint can't be my president.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by kenoyad: 4:32pm On Dec 21, 2022
Eniitankorede:

Exactly, my point too, we should even be above Pakistan. A friend in UK send #1m or more every month and it's through backdoor, there's someone that send money to Nigeria, he will give him pounds, he credit his Nigerian bank that I opened for him, he have the naira in his Nigeria bank app and he use the money here for whatever he need to do, while the sender piles up the pounds for someone from Nigeria that will come to pick the pounds there from Nigeria. Same thing in south Africa, throughout my 3 and half years there, if we want to send money to Nigeria, we go to Emeka shop and give him Rand and he credit the Nigeria account. This practice is every where.

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Bigleaf1006: 4:33pm On Dec 21, 2022
post=119326124:
This is MASSIVELY MASSIVE!!

For the layman out there,
Let's break this down for y'all,
Diaspora remittance means a person living abroad sending money back to their country of origin.
In the case of Nigeria, it is members of the diaspora sending money back home.

Thanks?!
No, Don't mention.
What are members for?
wink

I don't think there are dummies on here.everyone understood the post from the get go
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by FreeStuffsNG: 4:34pm On Dec 21, 2022
PHIPEX:
It is possible if you can find the data to support your view. There are now data for all these issues unlike before where people make wild guesses.

The report showing SW leading in remittances aligns with the data that clearly indicated that SW indigenes are the most populous in the diaspora.
Until I saw that data, I have only assumed that SW indigenes do more travel internationally than within the borders of our nation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by sonnie10: 4:34pm On Dec 21, 2022
xandy84:
You're absolutely right. Informal tranfer account for over 60 % of Nigeria remittance. I have not used WU or MG over 5 years cos the huge difference in exchange rate. Why send money thru WU or MG when I can zelle someone and the Naira will drop in few minutes in Lagos. After India and possibly Pakistan, Nigeria should be third on the list.
Zelle? Will they receive in dollars or naira equivalent?

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Todaymedia: 4:36pm On Dec 21, 2022
Moment Calabar Students mob Peter Obi as he arrives for Presidential Campaign

Watch Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9VjbD-_zo
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Ogurube: 4:36pm On Dec 21, 2022
Most of the money people spend on shipping stuff back home are legit. The problem is getting back your hard-earned seed money, much less getting the profit. Family always find ways to disrupt your business with their laziness or bills. You do all the monkey work, while they chop you with baboon stories. Many folks overseas have been burnt, exhausted, and are stepping back from such ventures. Nigeria is not an easy place to thrive.

SmartPolician:

The major reason is that Nigerians don't like paying charges on remittances. Instead, they go through channels they don't have to pay high fees.

Also, some people use their money to buy goods overseas, ship to Nigeria and have someone sell them.

This is often if their money is not legit. Such money won't appear under diaspora remittance.

PS: Swift is making a hell of money for facilitating all these cross-border remittances.

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Bigleaf1006: 4:37pm On Dec 21, 2022
ednut1:
Alot of Nigerians use peer to peer to send money home. Are they being captured in all these

No!! This is due to unfavorable for ex policies brought by emefiele.....about 40% of nigerias remittances goes through unofficial channels and not captured in mainstream....I believe nigeria should be in top 5 at worst 6 in the world.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Hazeem07: 4:39pm On Dec 21, 2022
Alot of reasons might be the cause of low remittance to Nigeria.
Whether people are not japaing like before
Citizens are no more sending money home due to lack of trust
Too much billing due to the economy in Nigeria.

My urgent 2k job

If you need someone to analyse your data, or other things to do on Microsoft excel
Contact me : 07064281235
olaitanhazeem@gmail.com

I love you
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by airsaylongcome: 4:39pm On Dec 21, 2022
ShoeWorld2:
Pakistanis are not expatriates, they sell drugs more than Nigerian people but they're not as loud as Nigeria. lipsrsealed

Why are they not expats?

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by tolue42(m): 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2022
dominique:
So people are japaing from Egypt too? For Egypt to be the no.1 African country in the list, that means they have a lot of citizens in the diaspora sending money home. Either that or our people in obodo oyinbo are no longer sending money home like before. They don use over billing to drive them away

Alot of Egyptian, Moroccan, Tunisians are in Belgium, Netherlands... Practically all European countries..

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by sonnie10: 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ogurube:
Most of the money people spend in shipping stuff back home are legit. The problem is getting back your hard-earned seed money, much less getting the profit. Family always find ways to disrupt your business with their laziness or bills. You do all the monkey work, while they chop you with baboon stories. Many folks overseas have been burnt, exhausted, and are stepping back from such ventures. Nigeria is not an easy place to thrive.
You are 100% correct

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by sonnie10: 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ogurube:
Most of the money people spend in shipping stuff back home are legit. The problem is getting back your hard-earned seed money, much less getting the profit. Family always find ways to disrupt your business with their laziness or bills. You do all the monkey work, while they chop you with baboon stories. Many folks overseas have been burnt, exhausted, and are stepping back from such ventures. Nigeria is not an easy place to thrive.

You are 100% correct
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by iyimide(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2022
This statistics is not a true reflection of the happenings.. because of many crazy CBN policies, the remittances recorded are just the official figures.. bulk of the remittances are not offcially captured.. there are many agencies abroad who just transfer without records with CBN hence none official.. it is like that everywhere..

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by annisy(f): 4:44pm On Dec 21, 2022
This is not a thing of pride!! If Nigeria is actually working who will want to leave his country to another man's country to work?!
If not FG job you can hardly see a native of FCT in another state in Nigeria working,, we need leaders that will fix this country.
@PeterObi
@kwankwaso
@sowere
Is our best bet come 2023 anything outside those three na waste of time

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Ogurube: 4:44pm On Dec 21, 2022
Congratulations! Clap for yourself that SW indigenes are the most populous overseas.

FreeStuffsNG:
It is possible if you can find the data to support your view. There are now data for all these issues unlike before where people make wild guesses.

The report showing SW leading in remittances aligns with the data that clearly indicated that SW indigenes are the most populous in the diaspora.
Until I saw that data, I have only assumed that SW indigenes do more travel internationally than within the borders of our nation.

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by SmartPolician: 4:45pm On Dec 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Why are they not expats?

Pakistanis are called immigrants (to describe people from poor countries living and working in rich ones) grin

Expatriates - someone from rich countries working in a poor country grin
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by blingxx(m): 4:47pm On Dec 21, 2022
Tinubuwins2023e:
70% of that money is received by yahoo boys

I swear grin especially in 2020 when benefit dey cashout grin but everything don cast now

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Businesses Face Losses As The Twitter Ban Continues / Do You Destroy Your Scratch Card After Use? / How Do I Get Cheap Data plans? [Service is No longer available]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.