Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,052 members, 7,814,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice (1407 Views)

Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice / I'm Caught In A Career Dilemma And Don't Know What To Do / My Career Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by powertool: 8:18am On Sep 01, 2011
Hello NLders, please I need your urgent help. cry cry

I currently work with a Nigerian company with a good pay. However, I have a private company that has been tracking me for almost a year now and I am about saying yes to them. They are offering me 3 times (yes! 3 times) what I currently earn but my problem with them is that the company is a private company and I dont know how long they will last.

My current company is much much bigger and has higher prospects; however, this private company has shown me their restructuring plans and how they intend to achieve it.

Please advice me if it will be wise to leave my currently secure job to the private coy where there might not be enough job security but 3 times more pay.

Both companies are into oil servicing.
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by yamakuza: 8:57am On Sep 01, 2011
Some will say to stay with nnpc 200k instead of going with newpc 600k cos theres no thirdpc to pay 100k if newpc fails.

Pray tell, for how long has this private coy been in existence or are they just starting out?

If they've survived for say 5yrs without you, they just might do another 5 with or without you and so on.

Enough time for everyone to cover their bases, perhaps.
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by powertool: 9:06am On Sep 01, 2011
^^^

They have been in existence for over 5 years but with so many ups and downs
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by yamakuza: 9:34am On Sep 01, 2011
Over 5 years you say? And without you. Think how much further they could go with you on board, moreso as you dont want to fail.

In those 5 odd rough years, have they paid salaries consistently or owed?

Do you see them paying you this fat salary for 2-3 yrs straight?

One more thing, are you looking for a coy where you can retire after 30yrs, or you want to work for 5 to 10 years, make money and start your own thing?
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by madoba: 10:52am On Sep 01, 2011
Is this private company well structured?

By well structured I mean

1. Roles and responsibilities are clearly defined (from the beginning and not later on)
2. There is a hierarchical structure and your reporting lines are clear
3. There's respect for merit
4. There are sound policies favourable to employees regarding your pay, bonuses, leave days, working hours which should also be clearly defined and agreeable with you and the employer.

Look carefully before you jump ship ooo! Private companies tend to be run in a sort of dictatorship fashion that often favours the employer more than the employee, you don't want to be trapped in that sort of environment.
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by yamakuza: 11:10am On Sep 01, 2011
In other words:

whats your exit strategy?

on the flip side, 2 ppl on this forum have recently left well paying jobs, despite all advice to the contrary, without any offers in the offing, simply because they lacked job satisfaction, and here you are holding on to your unsatisfactory job, despite an enticing alternative.

My brother, what is your gameplan, careerwise?
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by nsodo: 6:03am On Sep 02, 2011
Please you can not let that chance go like that if it is three times more go because i am sure with that pay you can save enough to even set up your own Businesses in case any thing goes wrong with that private company you have were to turn too.
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by Wesleynic: 8:24am On Sep 02, 2011
HELLO every one in the house i am very happy to see that fellow nigeria are helping each other through this medium.

I REALLY NEED ADVICE FROM THOSE IN THE OIL AND GAS SECTOR PLS I NEED VERY DETAILED ADVICE CONCERNING THE HEALTH AND SAFETY ENVIRONMENT COURSE OR RATHER CALLED NABOSH HERE IN ENGLAND.

I AM DOING MY MASTERS HERE IN ENGLAND AND I STUDIED MY FIRST DEGREE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE AND I DID MY PGD IN MANAGEMENT AND I AM PRESENTLY DOING MY MASTERS IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS TO ROUND UP IN MARCH 2012. AND AT THE MOMENT I JUST REALISE THAT STAYING HERE IN OVER SEAS IS COMPLETE WASTE OF FUTURE PLANS SO NOW A FRIEND TOLD ME TO WRITE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY ENVIRONMENT COURSE HERE IN LONDON THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO GET INTO THE OIL AND GAS SECTOR BACK IN NIGERIA AND I REALLY NEED AS MUCH ADVICE ON THE ISSUE TO FOLLOW MY CAREER PART VERY WELL AS I KNOW NIGERIA IS FAVOUR ME MORE WHEN I GET A JOB BACK HOME.

WAITING TO HEAR FROM MY BROS IN THE HOUSE.

THANKS

NICOLAS
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by yamakuza: 1:53am On Sep 03, 2011
@wesley:
u might want to start a new thread for yourself

else, get better answers by asking here:

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-190295.0.html

www.google.com/m?q=site:nairaland.com+nairaland.com%2Bnebosh
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by AjanleKoko: 2:55pm On Sep 03, 2011
@OP,

It's very simple really. Moving from one company to another contains an inherent risk. But people still move anyway.

You have to look at both organizations, and try to decipher where they will likely be in a year or two. You can do a little investigation about the new company, its owners, and their track record, including those issues that they've had in the past. Try to find people that have been employed by them in the past, and interview then (don't post that on NL o! Not good form) Also, you need to identify what potential opportunities you will likely benefit from by making the switch. Not just money, mind you, could be slew of contacts, exposure to a different line of business, etc.

As cliche as it may sound, I am firmly convinced that anyone merely seeking security in any paid employment is not likely to achieve much outside of that. If you stay stuck to a particular job, you may not make much progress.
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by Wesleynic: 4:35pm On Sep 03, 2011
@yamakuza

I want to express my profound appreciation to you for your loving response to my request and i pray the good lord will continue to uphold you in every area of your life. i have now posted the advice in the approprate place.

Thanks and have a nice day

NIC
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by yamakuza: 9:25pm On Sep 03, 2011
@nic,
if you have the money, go for nebosh. Though i dont c y not ccie or sap, given your background.

@AJ,
too true!
No wonder u r called guru. Lolz.
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by Wesleynic: 11:59pm On Sep 03, 2011
hi bros yamakuza,

More grace to your elbow again for your direction i am already putting that money together for the nebosh course over here and is about £1,195 which is about N320,000 presently but bros i dont really understand your abbrevation (i dont c y not ccie or sap, given your background.) new to words ccie or sap

Thanks 1 love

Nic
Re: Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice by yamakuza: 1:25am On Sep 04, 2011

(1) (Reply)

With His 2:2, How Can He Become An Investment Banker? / Introducing Primavera P6 Project Management Training / SAP Training Kit (video,ebook,sap Server And Others)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.