Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,400 members, 7,836,607 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary (49925 Views)

Lady Feels Pity For Poor Nigerians After Entering Okada For The 1st Time (video) / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Suunnn(f): 8:27am On Jan 07, 2023
ahiboilandgas:
Almost all workers are complaining in the UK and everbody is on strike on wage issue from trainr drivers to ambulance to teachers to nurses to university on strike They are complaining of poor pay debt and leaving the job . But Nigerians that are well paid are also leaving on student visa to join the strike in the .UK or cannot see the cost of living crisis in the UK . Is there something else

Everyone with various reason
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by emmyN(m): 11:15pm On Jan 07, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly I don't know about other industries but for the tech industry, Poland has much higher salaries than the UK. The only UK companies that pay well are American firms. Traditional UK firms pay very terrible wages. It's so laughable.

I saw this post advertising for a senior tech support staff with 6 years experience and the pay range was 27k - 35k pounds. That was a shocker for me, lol.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:30pm On Jan 07, 2023
emmyN:

I saw this post advertising for a senior tech support staff with 6 years experience and the pay range was 27k - 35k pounds. That was a shocker for me, lol.

I see jobs for people with 2 years experience for 18000 pounds annually and that's before taxes. Remove tax, rent and other bills. What's left. Someone even earning 300k in Nigeria is better off than someone earning such in the uk to be honest.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by emmyN(m): 11:44pm On Jan 07, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I see jobs for people with 2 years experience for 18000 pounds annually and that's before taxes. Remove tax, rent and other bills. What's left. Someone even earning 300k in Nigeria is better off than someone earning such in the uk to be honest.

And I heard their taxes can go from 20% to as much as 40%. Imagine having one's income split in half to pay tax
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:46pm On Jan 07, 2023
emmyN:

And I heard their taxes can go from 20% to as much as 40%. Imagine having one's income split in half to pay tax
Guy it's crazy. Of all the European countries I was looking for work in, the UK had the lowest salaries and to think that the tech salaries are even good compared to the other industries there. What a tragedy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by grandstar(m): 11:50pm On Jul 04, 2023
LagBlogger:

Once again you are wrong. Let's pretend the remittances is $30 bn per year, the official GDP is a gross underestimation of real GDP.

Checkout thisday article that explains how our informal sector is not computed: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/07/11/the-informal-economy-in-nigeria/amp/

Nigeria has the third largest informal sector in the world as an estimated 58% of true GDP which means if informal sector is captured we should be talking at least $830 bn.

Your remittances then would be less than 3% of true GDP even at $30bn.

How I arrived at 57%? Do your research yourself.

I am always careful when it comes to GDP figures as there's an emotional tendency to inflate it rather than accept the facts.

An economist here said the informal sector is included when recording GDP and the ThisDay article said its not included.

I would prefer to go with the economist here on NL as not including it would be the equivalent of heavily padded census figures on an economy. It distorts facts and figures and makes planning difficult.

For instance, if the country's GDP is $830bn, that would make government spending only about 3% of GDP. This is just too low.

It would also make public debt just 11% of GDP rather than the 23% or so.

Can you prove me wrong? I like to be educated

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by noziz(m): 1:56pm On Jul 16, 2023
freddie009:

A friend of mine told me he spent approximately 3 million to get to Australia including flight ticket (2018)

Which route did he or she use?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Biola67: 6:18pm On Jul 31, 2023
noziz:

Which route did he or she use?
Lagos/Ibadan expressway
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Goodman247: 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2023
You people are evil and mischievous, leave uk alone, most Nigeria are like the pharisees in the bible, they are hypocrites
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Goodman247: 8:21pm On Jul 31, 2023
Goodbadbowy419:
Uk don cast tey tey nah
Nigeria nko, nowhere is perfect
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by denise321(f): 12:06pm On Sep 18, 2023
Hello! I'm Denise Schneider, your dedicated guide to discovering exceptional houses in houston. With Houston Broker, I bring expertise and passion to your home-buying journey. Let's turn your Houston housing dreams into a reality, one step at a time.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by IbeOkehie: 1:34am On Nov 03, 2023
Uzomarrr12345:

Lmao !

I laffed so hard … lmao

Where on earth did you operate your Pharmacy ,that you claim you didn’t make profit .

This is my first time I’m hearing someone say there’s no money in pharmacy business in Nigeria … I’m still laffing hard as I’m typing .

Like I said , business is not for everyone, continue flipping burgers at McDonald’s grin grin grin

Once again, remember “Where there is problem and population, there is money”

If you know , you know !

https://businesspost.ng/health/evans-medical-plc-loses-assets-two-banks/

Happened 6 years ago it seems. One of the biggest indigenous pharma companies basically couldn't meet up with loan payments.

Well I'm not the only bad businessman to have operated in Nigeria...what a relief cheesy

Good Luck to Nigeria
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Baybii: 11:34am On Dec 01, 2023
kizyalex10:
im based in South Korea and I’m sure Korea is better than UK,work wise and business wise but I’m currently relocating to Uk with my family this week.why,first is nt always about money but first is secure environment,and a working system where your kids will get quality health care,education etc that they can’t get in Nigeria,why am I not taking them to Korea is because Korea don’t give resident papers and nt an English speaking country and you can’t do work based on what u studied,u jst end up in a factory or do business.no matter how poor uk seems to be,it can’t be compared to naija and it’s environment and insecurity.so relocating will give me peace of mind,staying with my family etc.even if I have only 500 pounds left after every month,I’m happy

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by IbeOkehie: 3:43am On Dec 15, 2023
One year later, I hope everyone now understands why smart Nigerians were desperate to migrate to the UK.

Today that Great Salary of ₦1million per month can only buy half of what it bought in Nigeria 1 year ago when this thread was started.

By this time next year, it might be worth another 50% less. And the Anti-Japa Crew will still be exulting in the Paradise of Poverty....Nigeria.

Good Luck to Nigerians!

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

The Destruction Caused After Dam Collapsed In South Africa (Pictures) / Crash Barrier Stops Danfo From Falling Off The 3rd Mainland Bridge (Photos) / Ghana Groom Crushed To Death In Car Crash While Going To His Wedding Reception

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.