Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,825 members, 7,956,121 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:30 AM

Making A Building Quotation - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Making A Building Quotation (8297 Views)

Is This Quotation Right for 2 Bedroom Apartment? / REQUEST FOR BUILDING.QUOTATION. 08137196991 / Check Out This Property 1plot Of Land And A Building Inside See Details. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making A Building Quotation by spyder880(m): 7:44pm On Sep 01, 2011
This thread is borne out of the need to present the 'behind the scenes' movements that culminate in making or breaking a building contract. As business people, we all must quote for our products or services.
Let us now look at those factors that affect quotations and other contractual conditions in the business world. Do you overquote or underquote?
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Fhemmmy: 7:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
Ummmm . . . Another nice thread.
I will learn on this one too, at least that will lemme know if a builder wanna kill me with price when i dey do am.
So keep them coming and let us learn.
Sample with pix and price that finish am might be helpful too
Re: Making A Building Quotation by olubuffett: 8:25pm On Sep 01, 2011
Spyder don come again; oya we dey listen.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by tdk: 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2011
i dey follow
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Fhemmmy: 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2011
olubuffett:

Spyder don come again; oya we dey listen.

I will just love to know the yardstick used in measuring how much to charge for each work done on a home . . .  cos some people will come with 200K Naira for labor to plaster and some will come with 100K . . . .what determine the cost.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by jerryben12: 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2011
Spyder, we are all ears! Please include locations in this analysis.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by olubuffett: 8:44pm On Sep 01, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I will just love to know the yardstick used in measuring how much to charge for each work done on a home . . .  cos some people will come with 200K Naira for labor to plaster and some will come with 100K . . . .what determine the cost.

I will want to believe the factors include location, years of experience and types of project previously handled, eg an artisian that as worked for so called big men will not want to reduce is price for an ordinary guy.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by makinde3: 9:39pm On Sep 01, 2011
simply demand and supply
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Fhemmmy: 11:51pm On Sep 01, 2011
olubuffett:

I will want to believe the factors include location, years of experience and types of project previously handled, eg an artisian that as worked for so called big men will not want to reduce is price for an ordinary guy.

Are you sure or could be that people just size the client up and then name the price based on what they think the client could pay?
Re: Making A Building Quotation by spyder880(m): 12:08am On Sep 02, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Are you sure or could be that people just size the client up and then name the price based on what they think the client could pay?

Happens many times

makinde3:

simply demand and supply

Very good point.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Fhemmmy: 12:15am On Sep 02, 2011
spyder880:

Very good point.

Not at all times, there is more to it than that . . . so please tell more of the secret
Re: Making A Building Quotation by spyder880(m): 12:24am On Sep 02, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Not at all times, there is more to it than that . . . so please tell more of the secret

If an artisan, a craftsman or a builder knows his works, he will be in demand and his quotes (though higher in most cases) will most likely be considered above another worker of lower expertise and demand.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Sagewood: 6:38am On Sep 02, 2011
Interesting thread! I was given three quotations some time last year for the decking of my house, and
the quotations had up to one Million naira difference. Do they have generally acceptable average rates
in different locations in Nigeria? For example, painting one room will cause an average X amount of naira
in a given location.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by spyder880(m): 7:22am On Sep 02, 2011
^^^ some things are defined like that, in my location, labour costs are spelt out like this.

Hiring a mason/brick layer N2000 per day
Painting a room. N1500
Labourer N1000
Flooring a room N2000

1 Like

Re: Making A Building Quotation by Olaisrich(m): 7:55am On Sep 02, 2011
subscibed!bring it on!
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Fhemmmy: 2:47pm On Sep 02, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ some things are defined like that, in my location, labour costs are spelt out like this.

Hiring a mason/brick layer N2000 per day
Painting a room. N1500
Labourer N1000
Flooring a room N2000

I think this is the kinda stuff i need to know . . . .cos sometimes, when you are given a price, you dont even know where to start negotiating, but with this kinda figure at hand, one can easily do what has to be done
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Demainman1: 2:57pm On Sep 02, 2011
@All, Does anyone know the cost of Granite tiles? Just a rough idea will do. I mean cost per square metre or square feet.

Rgds
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Natudu: 3:44pm On Sep 02, 2011
Another nice one. Tuned.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by olubuffett: 5:40pm On Sep 02, 2011
Anyone with sample quotation pls put it up let's see,
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Fhemmmy: 6:07pm On Sep 02, 2011
olubuffett:

Anyone with sample quotation pls put it up let's see,

What a brilliant idea
Re: Making A Building Quotation by johnboyy(m): 7:06pm On Sep 02, 2011
This is great, just what I need as we speak. Oga spyder, lets do this.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by spyder880(m): 7:36pm On Sep 02, 2011
I will show a sample quotation on electrical wiring for a conduit job I am doing, in some few hours, let me speak to my small children before rushing off again.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by plappville(f): 7:48pm On Sep 02, 2011
Waoo, this must be of a help to me. I guess the locations may varie as i didn't get this price in my first location. so i want to have an ideal plz help.

What is the cost of filling a half plot, its a dry land not a flot area at all, the contractor gave his prix 300k and 275k to start up a foundation blocks not included.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Costa2000(m): 8:33pm On Sep 02, 2011
@ Demain man for Italian tiles contact :- Everglo Integrated services ltd. tel;- +2348064644452.
For Spanish and chinese tiles contact:- Judon Associates coy Ltd. Tel:- 2348037187068.
They based in Lagos.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by diordaves(m): 12:32pm On Sep 03, 2011
Interesting topic.

From my experience building as a private non-professional individual in the Delta region, I have come to realise that quotation dynamics are as a result of so many factors, some of which are: LOCATION ( suprise, suprise), DISTANCE FROM RESOURCES, BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF OWNER, PERSONALITY OF OWNER, URGENCY, STRUCTURE/QUALITY OF PROJECT, GREED/TROUBLESOME HISTORY OF COMMUNITY YOUTHS.

LOCATION: We know the effect of location all too well on project cost. Same on quotation. If you are building in a highbrow area, expect a high quote. There is no science to this. Its all political and cultural.

DISTANCE: If your project is of some considerable distance from resources both materials and human, you will tend to attract high quote due to the cost of transaction due to time needed and logistics to source and transport resource to site. This is also true for a difficult terrain with poor  accessability.

KNOWLEDGEABILITY OF OWNER: This is mostly suffered by first time home owners. If you display total ignorance of the building process, artisans and builders may capitalize on your lack of knowledge. In this respect we should give big thanks to Spyder880.

PERSONALITY OF OWNER: If you have a quarrelsome personality, trust me, you will attract high quote. The trick is to adopt a lay back attitude, with attention to details. Cultivate a mutual trust and respect in your relationship with your project manager/supervisor. There is no need being on site all day, barking orders. Going forward, you will attract high quote because your "wahala too much".

URGENCY/STRUCTURE OF PROJECT: The greater the urgency of your project, the higher your quote. No rocket science. If your project is top quality, your quote will be top price.

TROUBLESOME HISTORY OF COMMUNITY YOUTHS: Quotes tend to be higher if you are building in a known troublesome area even though you may have sort out all youth and omo ni le wahala. Your contractor may tend to add up and pad quote just in case.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by spyder880(m): 1:17pm On Sep 03, 2011
^^^^ solid, solid points, thank you Oga mi.
Re: Making A Building Quotation by Fhemmmy: 6:28pm On Sep 03, 2011
diordaves:

Interesting topic.

From my experience building as a private non-professional individual in the Delta region, I have come to realise that quotation dynamics are as a result of so many factors, some of which are: LOCATION ( suprise, suprise), DISTANCE FROM RESOURCES, BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF OWNER, PERSONALITY OF OWNER, URGENCY, STRUCTURE/QUALITY OF PROJECT, GREED/TROUBLESOME HISTORY OF COMMUNITY YOUTHS.

PERSONALITY OF OWNER: If you have a quarrelsome personality, trust me, you will attract high quote. The trick is to adopt a lay back attitude, with attention to details. Cultivate a mutual trust and respect in your relationship with your project manager/supervisor. There is no need being on site all day, barking orders. Going forward, you will attract high quote because your "wahala too much".

URGENCY/STRUCTURE OF PROJECT: The greater the urgency of your project, the higher your quote. No rocket science. If your project is top quality, your quote will be top price.

TROUBLESOME HISTORY OF COMMUNITY YOUTHS: Quotes tend to be higher if you are building in a known troublesome area even though you may have sort out all youth and omo ni le wahala. Your contractor may tend to add up and pad quote just in case.

You mean that will make people to run away and the few that would come close will give a very high price quotes
Re: Making A Building Quotation by zogo(m): 8:04pm On Sep 03, 2011
IF YOU NEED OR HAVE PROPERTIES IN PORT HARCOURT FOR LEASE, LET OR SALE, BE ASSURED WE CAN DELIVER. SEE OUR PROPERTY LISTING HERE: www.legitassets..com
Re: Making A Building Quotation by zogo(m): 8:06pm On Sep 03, 2011
IF YOU NEED OR HAVE PROPERTIES IN PORT HARCOURT FOR LEASE, LET OR SALE, BE ASSURED WE CAN DELIVER. SEE OUR PROPERTY LISTING HERE: www.legitassets..com
Re: Making A Building Quotation by NextHome(m): 8:46pm On Sep 03, 2011
@Spyder880, thanks for bring us here.

Quotation, Estimates and Guess-timates!!!

If I have my way, I'll use 20 pages to dissect this topic. But make we dey do am bit by bit so that we go enjoy am. The following factors will determine or affect the quote you'll receive or send on any construction project.

1. Build Route
2. Home Size
3. Location
4. Quality
5. Change Orders

@Diordaves, I hail you bro. Anytime I see you, Fhemmmy, Olubuffet, Sagewood, Natudu, Blink, Blank, Ferya, Nigeria Property Online, Am Alone, Kuntash, Caseymoney, Guk, atasteve, jomodupri and many other silent followers that I cannot acknowledge here, for our back (Spyder880 and my back). I just dey feel high.

Thank you sirs. You inspired us to do more.

Let's do it again!
Re: Making A Building Quotation by NextHome(m): 10:09pm On Sep 03, 2011
Let's see how Build Route can affect the quotation, estimate and guess-timates you'll receive for a project

BUILD ROUTE

The build route you choose will affect the type of estimate or quote you'll receive for any construction project.

Build Route 1:

Simply a DIY basis, substituting 30 - 40% of labour costs with DIY and employing help with the rest of the building work. Materials are purchased directly by Home Owner.

Choosing this route will reduce the quotation you'll receive on the project. Approximately, 40-50% of total cost of a building project is spent on labour.

Best Route if you are planning a small project with or without deadline.

Build Route 2:
Building using artisans hired directly and giving them daily payment. Materials are purchased directly.

Best Route if you are planning a project with little funds and if you have ample time to directly administer and supervise the project through to finishing stage.

Choosing this build route will also reduce the quotation you'll receive on a building project.

Build Route 3:

Building using a main contractor to build the main structure to roofing stage, with the remaining work being undertaken by subcontractors. Materials are purchased by the contractor.

The quote you'll receive on this type of build route will be more higher as more responsibilities will rest on the shoulder of the main contractor.

Build Route 4:
Building using a main contractor with little or no involvement from the home owner.

Best route if you are planning a big project.

More updates later
Re: Making A Building Quotation by diordaves(m): 11:44pm On Sep 03, 2011
Fhemmmy:

You mean that will make people to run away and the few that would come close will give a very high price quotes

Not really Fhemmmy. One will get enough quotations even if one is troublesome. The thing is, with a quarrelsome personality, your resource suppliers tend to factor in the time it takes to settle the myriad of "stop and argue" time and cost it. The more the stoppage time to argue and point out probably meaningless "faults", the longer the project will take hence the cost.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doors: Strong Foreign Security And Steel Doors Selling In Lagos / Requirements For Demolition Permit In Lagos State / Land And Houses For Sale In Sapphire Gardens Estate Awoyaya Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.