Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,523 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Football Loses Another Legend. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Football Loses Another Legend. (231 Views)

Nigeria Loses Another Striker To Neighbouring Country / Wilson Oruma Loses N1.2 Billion To A Pastor & Fake Oil Business / Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Football Loses Another Legend. by CloudResident(m): 4:17pm On Jan 06, 2023
Ex-Italy, Chelsea and Juventus striker Gianluca Vialli dies aged 58

Vialli, whose death comes just weeks after Sinisa Mihajlovic and Brazilian legend Pele, passed away last night surrounded by his family following a five-year cancer battle.

'We thank the many who have supported him over the years with their affection. The memory of him and his example will live forever in our hearts,' his family wrote in a statement.

GIANLUCA VIALLI'S LAST PUBLIC WORDS
Speaking on December 14, announcing he was leaving his role with the Italy team, Vialli said:

'At the end of a long and difficult 'negotiation' with my wonderful team of oncologists I have decided to suspend, I hope temporarily, my present and future professional commitments.

'The goal is to use all the psycho-physical energies to help my body overcome this phase of the disease, so that I will be able as soon as possible to face new adventures and share them with all of you.'

His death follows a battle with pancreatic cancer, with his condition worsening in the week leading up to Christmas and family rushing to his bedside in a London hospital.

Sampdoria fans also showed their support until the end as they hung a supportive banner outside the London hospital where he was being treated.

'I am deeply saddened,' said Italian Football Federation president Gabriele Gravina.

Vialli would serve as Chelsea's player-manager and then manager, leading them to the European Cup Winners' Cup and the League Cup in 1998, plus the FA Cup in 2000.

Following the news, Chelsea tweeted in tribute: 'You'll be missed by so many. A legend to us and to all of football. Rest in peace, Gianluca Vialli.'

Chelsea chairman Todd Boehly and co-controlling owner Behdad Eghbali then added: 'This is truly an awful day for Chelsea Football Club.

Vialli was diagnosed with the illness for a second time in 2021, having been given the all-clear in April 2020 following a 17-month struggle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11557703/Gianluca-Vialli-dead-Former-Italy-Chelsea-Juventus-striker-dies-aged-58.html?ito=native_share_article-top

Re: Football Loses Another Legend. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:48am On Jan 07, 2023
From all of us at CHELSEA FOOTBALL CLUB AND ALL OF US AT [color=#006600][/color] : REST IN PERFECT PEACE VIALLI.

WE love you and thank you for all the good memories at our darling club.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Cameroonian Fighter Francis Ngannou Leaves The UFC / Birmingham City Goalkeeper Neil Etheridge Racially Abused By Fan During FA Cup T / Where Can I Play Table Tennis In Ota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.