Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,852 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media (568 Views)

4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi Celebrates His 52nd Birthday With His People On A Horse / Traditionalists Lay Curses On People Insulting Oba Of Benin On Social Media(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media by hbk001(m): 8:52pm On Jan 06, 2023
Social media has made us not to know who our mates are any longer because each of us is holding a smartphone and has data to post, we don't take a minute to reflect on the possible personality of the person at the other end communicating with us.
And I will share a personal experience.
Few days ago, I shared a content on a particular WhatsApp platform which attracted a few positive comments from members of the group. But someone slid into my dm and made some observations on things I could improve on the project.
I didn't know him or her from anywhere (but from the way he spoke I could almost tell he or she is my junior). Well, for me, that doesn't really matter. I just said "thank you, I appreciate" and let him go.
The next day, I implemented about 90% of his or her recommendations. Then I did something that only a few people would consider doing.
I went back to the person, submitted the latest version of the work and asked for further criticism (critics are one of the greatest assets you have on any project, unfortunately most people don't know this).
He or she looked at it and confessed that I have a near perfect work. I thanked him or her. But then, I went back again, introduced myself and requested to know more about whoever he or she is if he or she doesn't mind.
At that point, I was expecting to get just the name and maybe gender so as to enable me save the number accordingly.
But I was shocked what I got instead.
I received a detailed profile of a man whose first son is about my age mate.
As at the time the man started his career with UNICEF, I wasn't born yet. He had gone ahead to work as a consultant to United Nations for over 20 years.
He spends at least 9 months outside Nigeria each year with his children living in UK, US and Canada - but see me in the same WhatsApp group with him.
After my conversation with him, I sat back and reflected on the different dramas I have seen on social media.
I have watched people insult people they have no idea what their profile is, especially on a WhatsApp Group.
Sometimes you may share a post and someone drop a comment that is not too complimentary and the next thing that will follow will be loads of insult.
In fact, I have watched one C-suite exec exit a particular WhatsApp Group with tears because of the insult he received from a young girl in the group (obviously the girl had no idea of whom the person is while releasing her poison).
This is quite common on many WhatsApp Group.
Imagine you are in your University Alumni WhatsApp Group. On that platform, there are people that graduated in 1980 and there are people that graduated in 2021.
But they both have one thing in common - they are both alumni. And with that common factor they are both entitled to be on the same platform without any form of discrimination.
Now, you would imagine that the person that graduated in 1980 may have retired as a Director in CBN, he might be the owner of one of the best hospitals in US, he might be a Professor at Imperial College or a senior executive at Google.
Of course the person that graduated in 2021 might still be doing NYSC.
So imagine that on one of those occasions a controversial issue like why Peter Obi must not win 2023 election is raised on the platform and our NYSC guy start raining insults on the Imperial Professor for holding a different view.
I want you to just imagine that for a minute.
We also see this happen on Facebook comments. Sometimes you just notice a comment on someone's post. Of course you don't know the person that dropped the comment neither do you care to know. But all you know is that the person must be "a bastard and a very useless person" for saying that and that is exactly what you drop as your own reply.
Don't allow that device you are holding to deceive you. We are together on these social platforms, we share jokes and learn from each other, but we are not mates.
Resist the temptation of saying "who does he think he is, he should get out from here".
Respect for elders is not only for those in your village, it also applies on this Social Media street. Unfortunately you can't even recognise who an elder is here - so just respect everyone, respond to them with courtesy and deep respect.

Re: Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media by chiefolododo(m): 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2023
....this calls for a sober reflection
Re: Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media by hbk001(m): 9:05pm On Jan 06, 2023
chiefolododo:
....this calls for a sober reflection

A very deep one my brother.
Re: Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media by Wawelexy(m): 9:29pm On Jan 06, 2023
This is an insightful post, but would they learn? NO... We have a great number of their types that have littered the whole of Nairaland with their numerous and senseless moniker, once you have a different view from theirs, the next thing is to insult you....

And when you track down or by chance discover the riffraffs behind those monikers, you would be amazed.... Immediately they are done with their N.Y.S.C service and oppurtuned to get a job immediately (some are even jobless or still an intern), they feel untop of the world thinking they are wiser than everyone, forgotten that experience matters no Matter how brilliant you are.....

Person wey dey primary school when Fashola was elected as the governor of Lagos state go dey educate you on how Tinubu built Lagos... Just too bad.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media by habsydiamond(m): 10:54pm On Jan 06, 2023
People wey no get joy... they blast u instead of contributing to the thread... they are many here no be small. The worse part be say the kid wey dey insult u fit be one teenager wey still dey wear pants run errands for street o.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media by hbk001(m): 12:10am On Jan 07, 2023
Wawelexy:
This is an insightful post, but would they learn? NO... We have a great number of their types that have littered the whole of Nairaland with their numerous and senseless moniker, once you have a different view from theirs, the next thing is to insult you....

And when you track down or by chance discover the riffraffs behind those monikers, you would be amazed.... Immediately they are done with their N.Y.S.C service and oppurtuned to get a job immediately (some are even jobless or still an intern), they feel untop of the world thinking they are wiser than everyone, forgotten that experience matters no Matter how brilliant you are.....

Person wey dey primary school when Fashola was elected as the governor of Lagos state go dey educate you on how Tinubu built Lagos... Just too bad.

One of the bad effects of the social media space.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful How You Insult People On Social Media by hbk001(m): 12:11am On Jan 07, 2023
habsydiamond:
People wey no get joy... they blast u instead of contributing to the thread... they are many here no be small. The worse part be say the kid wey dey insult u fit be one teenager wey still dey wear pants run errands for street o.

Cyber abuse.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Have Preferred To Be African Or Part-african, Had You The Choice? / Population In Australia To Touch 23 Million 785 Thousand By End Of 2014 Year / Share Pictures Of Ur Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.