Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. (3040 Views)

What's A Fair Salary For A Junior Software Engineer In Nigeria? / Whats The Expectant Salary For A Cybersecurity Software Engineer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by Melanin07(m): 12:38pm On Jan 07, 2023
For those who wants to get into software engineering in 2023, I think this is what you've been looking for.

This is purely my opinions with opinions of others from my research.

1. The reason most people see programming and coding as been hard is not because they are hard, it because you need to learn something called COMPUTATIONAL THINKING.

This is the ability to transform problems into code. There's nothing wrong with you seeing Java or C programming as hard, the thing is you need to develop your brain more on computational thinking.

2. The hard truth is in software development, no one cares if you graduated from MIT or national open university of Nigeria or from CodingDojo bootcamp or you are a software engineer from being self taught...your pay is basically going to bethe same. But having a CS degree gives you more prestige. But be warned, this is a Zero sum game ( status game).

Infact currently, Standford university open source their whole courses and books for their BSC degree, NOUN has all their BSC degree course and textbooks online for everyone including University of the people.
If you want to know what they teach in universities in BSC computer science, everything is now online for you.

3. I asked Paul Graham, Founder of Y combinator (for those who knows YC) if it's necessary to have a CS degree as a software engineer. His answer was " No, you don't but be very good in programming".

4. When learning how to code, learn to build projects not just learning how to code. Learn how to use Git & GitHub. Go there, read people's code, build projects they built but twist it. If someone built a weather app, build a cryptocurrency price analytics using API ( in this way, you will learn how to work with APIs...that's the goal...not learning how to build a weather app)

5. Learn one language deeply and be very good in it. Don't be a jack of all trades. Be known for something. For your first language, I will advise you 100% for Python and 80% for JavaScript.

Don't choose any other languages.
After 1 year of working as a developer, go back and learn C and C++.

6. Research the job market before choosing what to learn. We have over 20 million software developers and only like 0.1% have seen a code in crypto or Blockchain. And we have less than 6,000 Blockchain developers.

Scarcity increases value. This less than 6000 Blockchain are mostly hired by two companies. There's so much shortage of Blockchain developers in the world... Blockchain developers even with less than 6mnth experience are paid higher than software engineers with 10 years experience.

If you want to be a Blockchain developer, go and learn Python, JavaScript and solidity.

This is the pathway.

7. Don't learn to code so you can seek Employment at Google. Look for startups. They pay higher than FANGS. And they are easier to get jobs in.

They don't care about degrees. They only care if you can do the job.
Infact it very easy to get a $300K/yr with a startup than at big companies like Amazon, Facebook.

8. Buy an apple MacBook. Don't ask me why.

9. Learn to network on developers communities and on Twitter spaces.

10. Learn to Leetcode early. You may never use those data structures and algorithms but you will always work where you need to optimize code

11. Learn to read programming ebooks. It was from books I learnt Object oriented programming. Books are far better than videos.

12. Learn to code for the money.

Yes you heard me, money should be what is motivating you when you learn to code. Cos sometimes you might feel like giving up.

Remember that when you learn to code and get a big salary, it can change your family situation, your situation.

That money factor will keep motivating you when you feel like giving up.

I will give more tips later...let me go and sleep
13. Sleep well.

Learn to sleep. It when you are refreshed your brain can work well and learn well

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by muyico(m): 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2023
Wlcm
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by dauddy97(m): 1:46pm On Jan 07, 2023
Well said
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:52pm On Jan 07, 2023
Melanin07:
For those who wants to get into software engineering in 2023, I think this is what you've been looking for.

1. The reason most people see programming and coding as been hard is not because they are hard, it because you need to learn something called COMPUTATIONAL THINKING.

This is the ability to transform problems into code. There's nothing wrong with you seeing Java or C programming as hard, the thing is you need to develop your brain more on computational thinking.

2. The hard truth is in software development, no one cares if you graduated from MIT or national open university of Nigeria or from CodingDojo bootcamp or you are a software engineer from being self taught...your pay is basically going to bethe same. But having a CS degree gives you more prestige. But be warned, this is a Zero sum game ( status game).

Infact currently, Standford university open source their whole courses and books for their BSC degree, NOUN has all their BSC degree course and textbooks online for everyone including University of the people.
If you want to know what they teach in universities in BSC computer science, everything is now online for you.

3. I asked Paul Graham, Founder of Y combinator (for those who knows YC) if it's necessary to have a CS degree as a software engineer. His answer was " No, you don't but be very good in programming".

4. When learning how to code, learn to build projects not just learning how to code. Learn how to use Git & GitHub. Go there, read people's code, build projects they built but twist it. If someone built a weather app, build a cryptocurrency price analytics using API ( in this way, you will learn how to work with APIs...that's the goal...not learning how to build a weather app)

5. Learn one language deeply and be very good in it. Don't be a jack of all trades. Be known for something. For your first language, I will advise you 100% for Python and 80% for JavaScript.

6. Research the job market before choosing what to learn. We have over 20 million software developers and only like 0.1% have seen a code in crypto or Blockchain. And we have less than 6,000 Blockchain developers.

Scarcity increases value. This less than 6000 Blockchain are mostly hired by two companies. There's so much shortage of Blockchain developers in the world... Blockchain developers even with less than 6mnth experience are paid higher than software engineers with 10 years experience.

If you want to be a Blockchain developer, go and learn Python, JavaScript and solidity.

This is the pathway.

7. Don't learn to code so you can seek Employment at Google. Look for startups. They pay higher than FANGS. And they are easier to get jobs in.

Infact it very easy to get a $300K/yr with a startup than at big companies like Amazon, Facebook.

10. Learn to Leetcode early. You may never use those data structures and algorithms but you will always work where you need to optimize code

11. Learn to read programming ebooks. It was from books I learnt Object oriented programming. Books are far better than videos.

12. Learn to code for the money

Yes you heard me, money should be what is motivating you when you learn to code. Cos sometimes you might feel like giving up.

Remember that when you learn to code and get a big salary, it can change your family situation, your situation.

13. Sleep well.

Learn to sleep. It when you are refreshed your brain can work well and learn well

You want nairalanders to remove your head. They will tell you passion grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by Qinglong(m): 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2023
Wow, I see blockchain enthusiasts everywhere on Twitter so I didn't think developers would be that scarce.
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by JoyousFurnitire(m): 7:22pm On Jan 07, 2023
Solid points OP.

Why did you recommend going back to C and C++ after a year?
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by Melanin07(m): 8:15pm On Jan 07, 2023
JoyousFurnitire:
Solid points OP.

Why did you recommend going back to C and C++ after a year?

Those languages will help you to understand memory management, how to access and manipulate the system hardware when the hardware isn't doing as you want.

Let's say you don't like the interpreter and wants to change or edit some things, thide languages will help.

Also they will help you understand other languages in terms of Object oriented programming and you will need when you start to read the computer science books you download from NOUN or Stanford on expert systems, AI and Game dev.

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:20pm On Jan 07, 2023
Melanin07:

Those languages will help you to understand memory management, how to access and manipulate the system hardware when the hardware isn't doing as you want.

Let's say you don't like the interpreter and wants to change or edit some things, thide languages will help.

Also they will help you understand other languages in terms of Object oriented programming and you will need when you start to read the computer science books you download from NOUN or Stanford on expert systems, AI and Game dev.

Thank you
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by sqlPAIN: 10:10pm On Jan 07, 2023
You're not a software developer.. You're just another fellow looking for daily bread.
See ur mouth like computational thinking, if I drop one problem for you to use computational thinking and solve now, Na that time you go dey tell me sey you're still learning.

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by ReactJs(m): 11:49pm On Jan 07, 2023
sqlPAIN:
You're not a software developer.. You're just another fellow looking for daily bread.
See ur mouth like computational thinking, if I drop one problem for you to use computational thinking and solve now, Na that time you go dey tell me sey you're still learning.

grin grin grin This guy is a menance.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by T0BY(m): 9:07am On Jan 08, 2023
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by von02: 10:08am On Jan 08, 2023
Melanin07:

You should consider rust if you really care about memory safety
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by stankelz: 10:32pm On Jan 08, 2023
Melanin07:

This is the pathway.

13. Sleep well.

hey bro, greetings. I sent you a mail but you didn’t reply. Please I’m looking to dive into blockchain/web3 , can you recommend any platform or resources for that. Have you heard of Alchemy University?
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by KrazyDave16(m): 7:15am On Jan 09, 2023
Melanin07:

Why is it that almost everyone thinks its a necessity to own a macbook...

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by Godfullsam(m): 7:53pm On Jan 10, 2023
It looks like brain don't want to carry this programming stuff.

May be because I am self learning, or wrong approach or I have not been able to lay hands on the right material.
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by youngwizard(m): 6:45am On Jan 11, 2023
Hello good day house . My goal for this year is to learn coding, I’m working on getting a laptop end of next month, however I would like to start the training ASAP. Pls anyone who can help me with training. My location is Gbagada Lagos I can be reached on WhatsApp on zero8zero.eighty.12.thirty1.eleven
samuel.george94@yahoo.com

Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by sqlPAIN: 9:47am On Jan 11, 2023
Godfullsam:

May be because I am self learning, or wrong approach or I have not been able to lay hands on the right material.
it's not for everybody.. I just hope you're not wasting the time you're supposed to be using for something that would have been more profitable all in the name of coding because of all the sweet sweet things you've read online...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by qtguru(m): 12:20pm On Jan 11, 2023
Godfullsam:

Then I'd advise finding another skill not coding, there are other lucrative remote skills too
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by haybhi1(m): 12:54pm On Jan 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You want nairalanders to remove your head. They will tell you passion grin cheesy

No one's been saying that since ages, chief.
Anyway, senior man, d'you share the same sentiments as the OP?

Considering how dynamic the computer realm is, isn't it a concern learning that employment in the blockchain development can suddenly become hard to come by after months of your study?
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:57pm On Jan 11, 2023
haybhi1:

No one's been saying that since ages, chief.
Anyway, senior man, d'you share the same sentiments as the OP?

Considering how dynamic the computer realm is, isn't it a concern learning that employment in the blockchain development can suddenly become hard to come by after months of your study?

Honestly, people should learn what they are interested in. Everyones grace is different.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by Godfullsam(m): 1:01pm On Jan 11, 2023
qtguru:

Then I'd advise finding another skill not coding, there are other lucrative remote skills too

Kindly mention other remove skills that does not require coding
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by haybhi1(m): 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly, people should learn what they are interested in. Everyones grace is different.
Grace? Lols. Even Yahoo boys drop that lines the most.
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:07pm On Jan 11, 2023
haybhi1:

Grace? Lols. Even Yahoo boys drop that lines the most.

I am serious, we underestimate the effect of luck and overestimate the effects of hard work. It doesnt mean hard work should be neglected. Even in this downturn, there are crypto devs making so much money. Unbelievable salaries that even devs at FAANG will never dream of. Everyones grace is different

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by haybhi1(m): 1:20pm On Jan 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I am serious, we underestimate the effect of luck and overestimate the effects of hard work. It doesnt mean hard work should be neglected. Even in this downturn, there are crypto devs making so much money. Unbelievable salaries that even devs at FAANG will never dream of. Everyones grace is different

Well, you're in many parts right. People who have found luck hard to come by just have their reservations regarding it.

Meanwhile, chief, you used to give tips about steps to go to get relevant regarding the computer realms in today's times. It usually goes some ways. Gives some directional sense.

OP has given us in regards to blockchain devs, please, dish us yours too, based on knowledge of today's dynamics, agba.
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:28pm On Jan 11, 2023
haybhi1:

Well, you're in many parts right. People who have found luck hard to come by just have their reservations regarding it.

Meanwhile, chief, you used to give tips about steps to go to get relevant regarding the computer realms in today's times. It usually goes some ways. Gives some directional sense.

OP has given us in regards to blockchain devs, please, dish us yours too, based on knowledge of today's dynamics, agba.

Market dynamics don change o. I dont know what to say again. FAANG now is even rescinding offers. Facebook london cancelled and rescinded all the full time offers for all the new graduates they employed.
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by Devdevdev(f): 2:26pm On Jan 11, 2023
Godfullsam:

What language are you learning and what area are you having problems? Maybe I can help.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by haybhi1(m): 2:46pm On Jan 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Market dynamics don change o. I dont know what to say again. FAANG now is even rescinding offers. Facebook london cancelled and rescinded all the full time offers for all the new graduates they employed.

Na wa o... to dey exist as african man, especially nigerian man, lest dem born inside plenty money, hard gaan o

Thanks anyway, senior man.
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by logik29(m): 2:57pm On Jan 11, 2023
qtguru:

Goodday boss qtguru
Do you mind saying the lucrative skills outside coding?
Thank you
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by Dilaxgraphix: 3:10pm On Jan 11, 2023
Melanin07:

This is the pathway.

13. Sleep well.

Boss pls can give us the link to Stamford university computer open source course?

What do you mean by noun?
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by qtguru(m): 3:23pm On Jan 11, 2023
logik29:

Goodday boss qtguru
Do you mind saying the lucrative skills outside coding?
Thank you

Some of them require skills

There is creating e-learning content for LMS platforms, it's a niche and fetches money on freelance platforms, another skill is knowing no-code tools.

There is a remote platform catered to just no-code tools such as Bubble, Webflow and others

I always just tell people google Upwork freelancers, there's some skill like setting up Zoom for people making some Nigerians money
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by logik29(m): 3:26pm On Jan 11, 2023
qtguru:

Some of them require skills

There is creating e-learning content for LMS platforms, it's a niche and fetches money on freelance platforms, another skill is knowing no-code tools.

There is a remote platform catered to just no-code tools such as Bubble, Webflow and others

I always just tell people google Upwork freelancers, there's some skill like setting up Zoom for people making some Nigerians money

Thank you very much for your time
I'll research on them
Re: How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. by qtguru(m): 3:33pm On Jan 11, 2023
logik29:

Thank you very much for your time
I'll research on them

Not to worry I am creating TikTok contents on different gigs soon, just writing script hard small.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Videos Tutorial / Ebooks / How Profitable Is Android App Development In Nigeria? / Learn Git And Github [*ARCHIVED*]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.