Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,437 members, 7,861,243 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 07:57 AM

The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know (2408 Views)

The Scam That Is Carclare / Photos Taken With The Oppo Reno 2: Compare With Others / The Oppo Thread (oppo Users: Oppof11pro, Oppok1, Oppo A5s.) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 6:51pm On Jan 07, 2023
Oppo Nigeria are out to scam their customers and this is well beyond price skimming and overpricing. This is a lot more diabolical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL0Nkmu5U6s

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by MMempire(m): 7:11pm On Jan 07, 2023
Moderator, please move to front page. And fellow Nairalander should please try and follow his blog, YouTube channel and telegram channel. I sincerely will tell you that you won't regret it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Nobody: 6:25am On Jan 08, 2023
Nlfpmod

Oppo are scamming Nigerians
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Voldoz: 6:57am On Jan 08, 2023
Apart from Oppo I remember when I went to buy my Vivo y21 I was weighing the phone and Tecno spark 7p so the Tecno was Mediatek G70 or whatever and was at 68k and I asked the attendant for vivo the processor of the phone she said it Mediatek G85 and price is 86k I was like ok the Vivo is better only to later find out the processor is Mediatek p35.

I was pained because I would have find a smartphone to do my research before buying.

Who can we trust?
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Incredible128: 8:45am On Jan 08, 2023
It's the attendant that was at fault it's the s variant of the y21 that has a g80
Voldoz:
Apart from Oppo I remember when I went to buy my Vivo y21 I was weighing the phone and Tecno spark 7p so the Tecno was Mediatek G70 or whatever and was at 68k and I asked the attendant for vivo the processor of the phone she said it Mediatek G85 and price is 86k I was like ok the Vivo is better only to later find out the processor is Mediatek p35.

I was pained because I would have find a smartphone to do my research before buying.

Who can we trust?
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Voldoz: 9:27am On Jan 08, 2023
Incredible128:
It's the attendant that was at fault it's the s variant of the y21 that has a g80

Yeah maybe but she supposed to know if she didn't then she should have asked the other staffs.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Meister(m): 9:29am On Jan 08, 2023
Very nice video, you forgot to mention that they actually sent the OPPO Reno 8 with dimensity 1300 out to the so called big Nigerian tech YouTubers to promote it then ended up bringing the one with SD 680 at the same price for consumers that don't know any better.
From all indications this was a well calculated move

8 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 10:54am On Jan 08, 2023
atheistandproud:
Oppo Nigeria are out to scam their customers and this is well beyond price skimming and overpricing. This is a lot more diabolical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL0Nkmu5U6s
the person in your story only fell victim to scummy marketing tactics of phone manufacturers and the laziness of the people posting phone spec on the internet. the price he paid for the phone would have been a valid issue if he had not paid a fair price for the phone, in your video you use the following prices:
Reno 8 5g- N278k ($574 @[N484 per dollar])
Reno 8 - N178k (€330 @[N539 per euro])

these prices are the at official rate of exchange, i do not think it is possible as at now or at the time the person in your story bought his phone to get forex at the official rate to buy a phone (i would really like to be wrong). a pricing structure inline with our reality in this country would look like this:
Reno 8 5g- N427k ($574 @[N745 per dollar])
Reno 8 - N254k (€330 @[N777 per euro])

the phone the person in your story wants in reality costs considerably more and he was not really cheated.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 11:36am On Jan 08, 2023
Meister:
Very nice video, you forgot to mention that they actually sent the OPPO Reno 8 with dimensity 1300 to out so called big tech YouTubers to promote it then ended up bringing the one with SD 680 at the same price for consumers that don't know any better.

This is totally true!

And yet someone's defending them in the comments already

4 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 11:37am On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:

the person in your story only fell victim to scummy marketing tactics of phone manufacturers and the laziness of the people posting phone spec on the internet. the price he paid for the phone would have been a valid issue if he had not paid a fair price for the phone, in your video you use the following prices:

these prices are the at official rate of exchange, i do not think it is possible as at now or at the time the person in your story bought his phone to get forex at the official rate to buy a phone (i would really like to be wrong). a pricing structure inline with our reality in this country would look like this:

the phone the person in your story wants in reality costs considerably more and he was not really cheated.

That's parallel market exchange rates.

No big company uses that. Even Xiaomi, Samsung and Apple use the official exchange rates. I cannot believe that you're defending the criminality of Oppo!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by FM19addict(m): 12:55pm On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:

what did I just read? Please stop

1 Like

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 12:58pm On Jan 08, 2023
FM19addict:

Shey you see am too

1 Like

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 12:58pm On Jan 08, 2023
atheistandproud:

That's parallel market exchange rates.

Yes

No big company uses that. Even Xiaomi, Samsung and Apple use the official exchange rates.
show me one of these big companies that put the price of their phones on their website. I think with our situation in Nigeria it is best to assume these people sell their phones at the parallel rate.

I cannot believe that you're defending the criminality of Oppo!
I am not defending anyone's criminal behaviour, I am only showing angles that you have not explored.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 1:04pm On Jan 08, 2023
Meister:
Very nice video, you forgot to mention that they actually sent the OPPO Reno 8 with dimensity 1300 to out so called big tech YouTubers to promote it then ended up bringing the one with SD 680 at the same price for consumers that don't know any better.
majority of phone manufacturers do this, they will usually send their device with buffier specs to reviewers, even when they send all their range of devices to reviewers, reviewers usually prefer to put more coverage on the device with buffier specs. I am not saying this behaviour is not scummy I am only pointing out that it is the way of the world and buyers should always beware.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 1:04pm On Jan 08, 2023
FM19addict:
what is wrong with what I posted?
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 1:04pm On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:

Yes

show me one of these big companies that put the price of their phones on their website. I think with our situation in Nigeria it is best to assume these people sell their phones at the parallel rate.

I am not defending anyone's criminal behaviour, I am only showing angles that you have not explored.

1. We agree that they're parallel exchange rates.

2. Most phone companies announce the prices of their phones at launch in USD. When these phones are released to the Nigerian market, their prices are usually around the same price using the official exchange rate. I followed Xiaomi's and Apple's launches last year and I can confirm this for a fact.

3. He did not source Forex. Oppo Nigeria are a registered and licensed Nigerian company. Those phones were imported through official channels. The review units given to YouTubers was the one with Dimensity 1300 but the one that Oppo is selling carries Snapdragon 680. Yet they're selling the SD680 variant for the price of the Dimensity 1300.

It's criminal.

7 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 1:32pm On Jan 08, 2023
atheistandproud:

2. Most phone companies announce the prices of their phones at launch in USD. When these phones are released to the Nigerian market, their prices are usually around the same price using the official exchange rate. I followed Xiaomi's and Apple's launches last year and I can confirm this for a fact.
It makes no feasible sense for these companies to sell their phones in Nigeria at our official rate, i have not seen any news information from oppo talking about releasing their phones at the price you quoted in your video (oppo isn't selling at that price because it is not inline with economic reality of country ) or any price at all. What is more likely to be the case was what I posted earlier.

3. Oppo are a registered and licensed Nigerian company. Those phones were imported through official channels.
So what? Oppo hasn't broken any law if it chooses to price it's phone using parallel market rate (which I think it likely does)

The review units given to YouTubers was the one with Dimensity 1300 but the one that Oppo is selling carries Snapdragon 680. Yet they're selling the SD680 variant for the price of the Dimensity 1300.
It's criminal.
If oppo itself had come out and put it somewhere that: "our phones are sold at the official rate" then your anger would probably be justified.
As you said in you video the people you meet told you that "this is the price we were told to sell it".
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:

It makes no feasible sense for these companies to sell their phones in Nigeria at our official rate, i have not seen any news information from oppo talking about releasing their phones at the price you quoted in your video (oppo isn't selling at that price because it is not inline with economic reality of country ) or any price at all. What is more likely to be the case was what I posted earlier.

So what? Oppo hasn't broken any law if it chooses to price it's phone using parallel market rate (which I think it likely does)

If oppo itself had come out and put it somewhere that: "our phones are sold at the official rate" then your anger would probably be justified.
As you said in you video the people you meet told you that "this is the price we were told to sell it".

So deceptive marketing is okay?

Lying by omission is okay as well?

4 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by wagazala: 3:56pm On Jan 08, 2023
I remember when I wanted to buy the Oppo Reno 5. My research on the internet had me believe that the Reno 5 was 5g enabled. Some images suggested that the five in Reno 5 was a sign of launching into the 5g market.

I requested to purchase, only to be told that the Reno5 'in Nigeria' is not 5g enabled. That only the Indian variant was 5g enabled. Ofcourse I didnt purchase as that was the only reason I wanted to upgrade from my Reno2 (UK bought). I smelt foul play or a lapse from whichever body in the Nigerian Govt that regulates these things. Why is the Nigerian version less?

I still love Oppo phones and use them till date (Find x5 pro) but I dont buy from Oppo Nigeria. Something is wrong and I am glad they are getting called out.

4 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 3:59pm On Jan 08, 2023
atheistandproud:

So deceptive marketing is okay?

Lying by omission is okay as well?
majority of these phone companies have complicated naming schemes for their devices, the phone companies should do better and the buyers should do enough due diligence.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 4:03pm On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:
majority of these phone companies have complicated naming schemes for their devices, the phone companies should do better and the buyers should do enough due diligence.

Yes!

This is what I'm trying to say.

Companies owe their loyal customers that much.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Meister(m): 4:39pm On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:
majority of phone manufacturers do this, they will usually send their device with buffier specs to reviewers, even when they send all their range of devices to reviewers, reviewers usually prefer to put more coverage on the device with buffier specs. I am not saying this behaviour is not scummy I am only pointing out that it is the way of the world and buyers should always beware.

They certainly don't, you're mistaking sending their highest specced phone with actually releasing two phones with the same name and different specs then sending the one with higher specs to reviewers in a country when you know that's not the one you're planning to sell there.

2 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 4:40pm On Jan 08, 2023
wagazala:
I remember when I wanted to buy the Oppo Reno 5. My research on the internet had me believe that the Reno 5 was 5g enabled. Some images suggested that the five in Reno 5 was a sign of launching into the 5g market.

I requested to purchase, only to be told that the Reno5 'in Nigeria' is not 5g enabled. That only the Indian variant was 5g enabled. Ofcourse I didnt purchase as that was the only reason I wanted to upgrade from my Reno2 (UK bought). I smelt foul play or a lapse from whichever body in the Nigerian Govt that regulates these things. Why is the Nigerian version less?

I still love Oppo phones and use them till date (Find x5 pro) but I dont buy from Oppo Nigeria. Something is wrong and I am glad they are getting called out.

Something is very wrong!

Fellow Nigerians are conniving with them to defraud other Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 4:41pm On Jan 08, 2023
Meister:

They certainly don't, you're mistaking sending their highest specced phone with actually releasing two phones with the same name and different specs then sending the one with higher specs to reviewers in a country when you know that's not the one you're planning to sell there.

Both phones are simply named Reno 8. No distinction. Just Reno 8.

It takes a tech person to know the difference between both. The random person on the street go fall mugu immediately.

1 Like

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Meister(m): 4:57pm On Jan 08, 2023
atheistandproud:

It takes a tech person to know the difference between both. The random person on the street go fall mugu immediately.

I don't understand why anyone will try to defend cause I'm almost sure they knew exactly what they were doing. This was also the case with oppo Reno 7 cause the international variant used Dimensity 900 while the one released in Nigeria was SD 680 and at the same price basically and this Reno 8 and the initial Reno 7 are exactly the same phone.

2 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 5:23pm On Jan 08, 2023
atheistandproud:

go to their website one phone is named reno 8 5g the other one is named reno 8, this naming scheme is unhelpful to say the least. In this case I would blame the top sites that come up when you Google oppo reno 8 they have really done little to differentiate between oppo reno 8 5g and oppo reno 8
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 5:26pm On Jan 08, 2023
Meister:

I don't understand why anyone will try to defend cause I'm almost sure they knew exactly what they were doing. This was also the case with oppo Reno 7 cause the international variant used Dimensity 900 while the one released in Nigeria was SD 680 and at the same price basically and this Reno 8 and the initial Reno 7 are exactly the same phone.

i am not defending them, my point has always been that the person buying a phone should make sure he knows and his sure of what he his buying before paying because some phone manufacturer are just playing fast and loose with their naming scheme
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 5:38pm On Jan 08, 2023
Meister:

majority of the video reviews from different creators in different countries I have seen has either been on the oppo reno 8 5g or the oppo reno 8 Pro, I think they just decided to send the more powerful models to everyone. Now what I am not sure of is whether they sent this particular model of their phone to any Nigerian content creator (majority of them don't disclose how they got the phone) if what you are saying is true then it is either an oversight from them or they are just behaving in a scummy manner as usual.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 5:42pm On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:
majority of the video reviews from different creators in different countries I have seen has either been on the oppo reno 8 5g or the oppo reno 8 Pro, I think they just decided to send the more powerful models to everyone. Now what I am not sure of is whether they sent this particular model of their phone to any Nigerian content creator (majority of them don't disclose how they got the phone) if what you are saying is true then it is either an oversight from them or they are just behaving in a scummy manner as usual.

To be very honest, I don't really care about these companies because most members of the public are happily ignorant and illiterate. I'm even surprised that no one has come to broke shame me sef. It used to be a staple of Nairaland.

Our favourite "affordable" brand used to and still does deceptive marketing and overpricing till this day. But not on the scale that Oppo has done with the Reno 8.

My main aim is always to educate the general public. That's what's important. Those who have ears, let them hear.

3 Likes

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by garugaru: 5:57pm On Jan 08, 2023
atheistandproud:

To be very honest, I don't really care about these companies because most members of the public are happily ignorant and illiterate. I'm even surprised that no one has come to broke shame me sef. It used to be a staple of Nairaland.

Our favourite "affordable" brand used to and still does deceptive marketing and overpricing till this day. But not on the scale that Oppo has done with the Reno 8.

My main aim is always to educate the general public. That's what's important. Those who have ears, let them hear.
one thing I have noticed is that compared to other Chinese brands is the same category as oppo the price of it phones in Nigeria here are usually outrageous compared to other brands, my guess is that oppo likes money more than the others.

1 Like

Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by atheistandproud(m): 6:16pm On Jan 08, 2023
garugaru:
one thing I have noticed is that compared to other Chinese brands is the same category as oppo the price of it phones in Nigeria here are usually outrageous compared to other brands, my guess is that oppo likes money more than the others.

They're the worst. Even the sister company Vivo and their extended family Transsion, Xiaomi, Gionee and Umidigi dey learn work.
Re: The Oppo Reno 8 Scam That You Must Know by Curious345: 10:00pm On Jan 08, 2023
Just stay away from Oppo phones in Nigeria.. they are pure scam..

Be wise

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rubber Rubber Motorcycle For 325K Only / How Much Are: Lg Gw300 & Blackberry 8520 Phones Currently? / Help! How Can I Stop Google Ads Pop Up On My Android Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.