Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,123 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend (974 Views)

A Nairalander's 11 Years Wedding Anniversary Thank You Soup For Her Hubby (pix) / Oha Soup For Better In-laws (pics & video) / Pepper Soup For The Cold Weather| Learn How To Make Pepper Soup Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by Juliearth(f): 5:30am On Jan 08, 2023
Egusi is one of my favourite soups and there is no limit to how you can prepare this soup. This is one method I use in making it, but first the ingredients.
Protein of choice (I would, on a normal day, use mutton, stock fish and smoked catfish, but what I had available is chicken and smoked catfish)
Palm oil
Seasoning
Egusi
Ugu leaves
Crayfish
Camoroun pepper
Powdered ginger for extra heat
Pepper mix (comprising of pepper, Onion cameroun pepper and red bell pepper)
Iru
Onion
Note that all ingredients are to be prepped accordingly and form a thick paste with the egusi using soke meat stock.
First thing is to season and cook your chicken. In a bigger pot pour in some palm oil, once hot, scoop the soaked egusi like Akara into the oil and toss to the other side once well fried. Do this on low heat. Once its well fried, pour in your pepper mix and fry both ingredients for 5 minutes. Pour in your meat stock and add more water if needs be.

Add your cooked chicken, washed fish, seasoning, crayfish . Stir and cover to cook. Stir intermittently so your egusi doesn’t burn. Once oil starts to show at the top of your egusi, it means its well cooked. Pour in your washed ugu and take off heat after 4 minutes and there goes your egusi soup.

Cc
tjskii
MissyB3

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by Pierced(f): 8:15am On Jan 08, 2023
No sign of egwusi in the soup.....only vegetables. Lol.

4 Likes

Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by nightfox01(m): 10:51am On Jan 08, 2023
The oil wey dey this your soup fit cook half bag of beans grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by Juliearth(f): 12:07pm On Jan 08, 2023
Pierced:
No sign of egwusi in the soup.....only vegetables. Lol.

That's how I like mine, sis. I put lots of vegetables as against egusi to boost my fibre intake.
Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by Juliearth(f): 12:08pm On Jan 08, 2023
nightfox01:
The oil wey dey this your soup fit cook half bag of beans grin grin

You have a point there, judging by what you are seeing, but I used a cup of palm oil to prepare this soup (5 litre). The method I used made it look so.
Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by Truth07: 1:23pm On Jan 08, 2023
Enjoy even if i don't it, is it eguisi or vegetable?
Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by Juliearth(f): 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2023
Truth07:
Enjoy even if i don't it, is it eguisi or vegetable?

Egusi, but with lots of vegetables.
Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by Probz(m): 10:41pm On Jan 08, 2023
Lovely stuff. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Spicy Egusi Soup For The Weekend by metaluterus(f): 1:48pm On Feb 21
Juliearth:
Egusi is one of my favourite soups and there is no limit to how you can prepare this soup. This is one method I use in making it, but first the ingredients.
Protein of choice (I would, on a normal day, use mutton, stock fish and smoked catfish, but what I had available is chicken and smoked catfish)
Palm oil
Seasoning
Egusi
Ugu leaves
Crayfish
Camoroun pepper
Powdered ginger for extra heat
Pepper mix (comprising of pepper, Onion cameroun pepper and red bell pepper)
Iru
Onion
Note that all ingredients are to be prepped accordingly and form a thick paste with the egusi using soke meat stock.
First thing is to season and cook your chicken. In a bigger pot pour in some palm oil, once hot, scoop the soaked egusi like Akara into the oil and toss to the other side once well fried. Do this on low heat. Once its well fried, pour in your pepper mix and fry both ingredients for 5 minutes. Pour in your meat stock and add more water if needs be.

Add your cooked chicken, washed fish, seasoning, crayfish . Stir and cover to cook. Stir intermittently so your egusi doesn’t burn. Once oil starts to show at the top of your egusi, it means its well cooked. Pour in your washed ugu and take off heat after 4 minutes and there goes your egusi soup.

From the look of that your pot, I know it's that kind of stubborn kitchen hardware that does have a handle on it anymoregrin

Oily soup WOW

(1) (Reply)

See How I Made This Easy And Delicious Carrot Stew (pics And Video) / Oriental Chicken Tenders Curried Peanut Chicken / When You Mistake Weed For Thyme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.