Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,663 members, 7,851,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:59 PM

Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? (2014 Views)

5 Ways To Reduce Fuel Consumption / Does Driving Slower Save Fuel? / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Rikze: 8:40am On Jan 08, 2023
My neighbour told me last week that he almost ran out of fuel on his way back from the village this yuletide. That what helped him was driving slowly to conserve the fuel he had until he could buy.

So I ask, does it work that way?

In view of the price of fuel and its scarcity, I think we will appreciate getting the right info on this.

Mynd44

Nlfpmod

Seun
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 8:59am On Jan 08, 2023
The faster you drive the more engine combustion takes place and fuel converted to energy…

Other things that may increase fuel consumption may include driving up hill ( elevated angle) a loaded car will also consume more than a non loaded one.

Also winding down the car glass during speed because it creates more drag.

Lastly driving with high gear decreases fuel consumption too. If you notice less fuel is consumed on longer distances/trips compared to when driving within town on the lower gear.

6 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Rikze: 9:59am On Jan 08, 2023
brain54:
The faster you drive the more engine combustion takes place and fuel converted to energy…

Other things that may increase fuel consumption may include driving up hill ( elevated angle) a loaded car will also consume more than a non loaded one.

Lastly driving with high gear increases fuel consumption too. If you notice less fuel is consumed on longer distances/trips compared to when driving within town on the higher gear.

This is informative, thanks. Especially the winding down of the windows... But if wound up and AC is running I guess consumption will still be high... Huh?
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Timagex(m): 10:24am On Jan 08, 2023
From my own experience, these are fuel saving tips.
1. Drive slowly. You definitely burn more fuel when you throttle down.
2. If you are doing highway driving, wind up your windows. If your windows are down, the car drags. You might not notice, but, it tells on fuel.
3. Avoid carrying load. The heavier the car, the more power(fuel) needed to keep it moving. Thats why drivers charge you extra for loads and uber drivers frown when you tell them to open their booth.
4. If you drive manual, learn how to put the car on neutral and ease it along when you are driving down a slope.
5. Avoid abrupt acceleration. You know when you scale a speed bump and you need to accelerate? Do it gently. Be easy on your throttle.
6. These are the ones I remember for now.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 10:47am On Jan 08, 2023
Rikze:

This is informative, thanks. Especially the winding down of the windows... But if wound up and AC is running I guess consumption will still be high... Huh?
The ac powers itself using the car engine so this puts more load on the car thereby increasing fuel consumption…

1 Like

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 2:10pm On Jan 08, 2023
brain54:

Lastly driving with high gear increases fuel consumption too . If you notice less fuel is consumed on longer distances/trips compared to when driving within town on the higher gear.

I disagree with the bolded. Utilizing the highest gear possible in relation to the speed you’re driving will always save fuel. That’s the reason why manual geared vehicles consume less fuel than their automatic counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 2:16pm On Jan 08, 2023
Conner44:

I disagree with the bolded. Utilizing the highest gear possible in relation to the speed you’re driving will always save fuel. That’s the reason why manual geared vehicles consume less fuel than their automatic counterparts.
Driving on a higher gear causes the engine to operate more slowly which increases fuel efficiency…

5 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 2:17pm On Jan 08, 2023
brain54:

Driving on a higher gear causes the engine to operate more slowly which increases fuel efficiency…

Exactly wink
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 2:19pm On Jan 08, 2023
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 2:24pm On Jan 08, 2023
Conner44:

Exactly wink
So why do you disagree sir?

P.s: I noticed the error! I meant decreases pls…

1 Like

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 2:27pm On Jan 08, 2023
brain54:

So why do you disagree sir?

P.s: I noticed the error! I meant decreases pls…

It’s all good wink
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 2:30pm On Jan 08, 2023
Conner44:

It’s all good wink
I corrected…

2 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Rikze: 4:54pm On Jan 08, 2023
brain54:

The ac powers itself using the car engine so this puts more load on the car thereby increasing fuel consumption…

I thought as much, that's what I've always known
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by buygala(m): 5:12pm On Jan 08, 2023
Rikze:
My neighbour told me last week that he almost ran out of fuel on his way back from the village this yuletide. That what helped him was driving slowly to conserve the fuel he had until he could buy.

So I ask, does it work that way?

In view of the price of fuel and its scarcity, I think we will appreciate getting the right info on this.

Mynd44

Nlfpmod

Seun

Keeping rpms as low as possible is what minimalizes fuel consumption.. Resist the temptation to "fire down" because as you dey fire down dey do kick-down upandan so, na your fuel dey evaporate so grin

If you know what you are doing, and your car is fit, you can maintain speeds of 140km/hr with less than 2.7k RPM.

I personally don't exceed 2.5k Rpm at any point in time, unless I need to do some long and quick overtaking.. And within that 2.5k Rpm band, I easily reach up to 150km/hr....if overdrive kicks in, it gets lower than 2k RPM sometimes at 140kph..Though it helps that the car engine is a very healthy V6.

Long story short.. The higher your car's Rpm, the higher the fuel consumption

2 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Rikze: 5:16pm On Jan 08, 2023
buygala:

Keeping rpms as low as possible is what minimalizes fuel consumption.. Resist the temptation to "fire down" because as you dey fire down dey do kick-down upandan so, na your fuel dey evaporate so grin

If you know what you are doing, and your car is fit, you can maintain speeds of 140km/hr with less than 2.7k RPM.

I personally don't exceed 2.5k Rpm at any point in time, unless I need to do some long and quick overtaking.. And within that 2.5k Rpm band, I still reach up to 150km/hr....if overdrive kicks in, it gets lower than 2k RPM sometimes at 140kph..Though it helps that the car engine is a very healthy V6.

Hmmmm

Thanks! Wetin I wan drive 140kmh for na? I dey travel go heaven? Max is 120 if alone, with my family na 100 ooo.

Your input is highly appreciated anyway, I'll study all the suggestions henceforth as fuel don cost na.

3 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Musty4ahmed1: 6:13pm On Jan 08, 2023
Rikze:

Hmmmm

Thanks! Wetin I wan drive 140kmh for na? I dey travel go heaven? Max is 120 if alone, with my family na 100 ooo.

Your input is highly appreciated anyway, I'll study all the suggestions henceforth as fuel don cost na.
I wonder how people comfortably drive above 120kph with bad road everywhere, the highest I have ever driven is 100kph, it seems I want to fly, I quickly revert back to 80kph, expecially when my family are in the car. I recently traveled from Abuja to Asaba, I didn't exceed 100kph yet I didn't get there late.

7 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2023
Musty4ahmed1:
I wonder how people comfortably drive above 120kph with bad road everywhere, the highest I have ever driven is 100kph, it seems I want to fly, I quickly revert back to 80kph, expecially when my family are in the car. I recently traveled from Abuja to Asaba, I didn't exceed 100kph yet I didn't get there late.
I like that…

Slow and steady. I am fast and furious though. I like speed even when on a bike.

Although more recently been reducing gradually. I could easily do 160/170kph before not anymore though. Man’s reflexes not as sharp as it was when I started driving at 19.

Besides man has to be more cool and act mature and not reckless. Also family to think of…

…but damn 80km is slow. How long it take you?

You really patient man!

3 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by buygala(m): 10:31pm On Jan 08, 2023
Musty4ahmed1:
Driving too slowly is as dangerous as driving too fast on a highway..You stand a risk of being crushed from behind.

Doing 80kph on a highway constitutes a danger to you and other highway users.. In some countries, you can be ticketed for that or even arrested.

If you no fit do highway driving, park your car for house enter public transport, instead of endangering other people's life and yours on highway..

5 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Elxandre(m): 11:17pm On Jan 08, 2023
buygala:

I personally don't exceed 2.5k Rpm at any point in time, unless I need to do some long and quick overtaking.. And within that 2.5k Rpm band, I easily reach up to 150km/hr....if overdrive kicks in, it gets lower than 2k RPM sometimes at 140kph..Though it helps that the car engine is a very healthy V6.

I learnt this lesson this Christmas driving from ibadan to Akure with a loaded car.
I fired down with rpms reaching 5k sometimes.
The fuel consumption shocked me.
Had to Google and Google when I got to destination till I found driving like fast and furious actually burns fuel grin
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Elxandre(m): 11:21pm On Jan 08, 2023
buygala:

Driving too slowly is as dangerous as driving too fast on a highway..You stand a risk of being crushed from behind.

Doing 80kph on a highway constitutes a danger to you and other highway users.. In some countries, you can be ticketed for that or even arrested.

If you no fit do highway driving, park your car for house enter public transport, instead of endangering other people's life and yours on highway..
You're right.
Going 120kph on Lagos ibadan sef, you still feel unsafe with cars overtaking you everywhere. grin
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by brain54(m): 11:21pm On Jan 08, 2023
Elxandre:

I learnt this lesson this Christmas driving from ibadan to Akure with a loaded car.
Had to Google and Google when I got to destination till I found driving like fast and furious actually burns fuel grin
You have to go easy on the accelerator occasionally…

It stresses your engine less too!
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Rikze: 11:36pm On Jan 08, 2023
Musty4ahmed1:

I like speeding a lot, but I'm working on reducing how fast I drive... It makes my wife uncomfortable, she even said she won't travel with me if I'll be driving.

She monitors the speed meter more than me if we are traveling a distance. grin

But 80km is damn too slow on the express way, unless the road is bad
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by 9icetoo(m): 11:47pm On Jan 08, 2023
Timagex:
From my own experience, these are fuel saving tips.
1. Drive slowly sensibly. Accelerate gently. Imagine you have an egg under the accelerator. You definitely burn more fuel when you throttle down.
2. If you are doing highway driving, wind up your windows. If your windows are down, the car drags. You might not notice, but, it tells on fuel.
3. Avoid carrying load. The heavier the car, the more power(fuel) needed to keep it moving. Thats why drivers charge you extra for loads and uber drivers frown when you tell them to open their booth.
4. If you drive manual, learn how to put the car on neutral and ease it along when you are driving down a slope. On EFI cars which virtually everyone drives now, your ecu will cut out fuel when you are going downhill and there is no throttle input at certain speeds , gearing and degree of slope.
5. Avoid abrupt acceleration. You know when you scale a speed bump and you need to accelerate? Do it gently. Be easy on your throttle.
6. These are the ones I remember for now.
7. Drafting. Staying behind large vehicles at highway speeds will shield your vehicle from wind draft saving you gas cause your vehicle isn't working too hard pushing all that air out of the way. It is dangerous though.
8. Tune up your vehicle. Make sure your alignment is okay and you don't have binding brake calipers.
9. Inflate your tyres properly. This will reduce your rolling resistance.
10. Roll to stops and avoid heavy braking as much as you can
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by 9icetoo(m): 11:48pm On Jan 08, 2023
buygala:

What car is this?
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Timagex(m): 12:10am On Jan 09, 2023
9icetoo:

7. Drafting. Staying behind large vehicles at highway speeds will shield your vehicle from wind draft saving you gas cause your vehicle isn't working too hard pushing all that air out of the way. It is dangerous though.
8. Tune up your vehicle. Make sure your alignment is okay and you don't have binding brake calipers.
9. Inflate your tyres properly. This will reduce your rolling resistance.
10. Roll to stops and avoid heavy braking as much as you can

My Oga!!! grin
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by being(m): 12:18am On Jan 09, 2023
About faster driving consuming less fuel-- 3 factors are involved
1. The frequency & intensity of braking
2. efficiency of the gear
3. Drag

1. Braking to a particular speed, the higher the speed you are braking from, the more ur fuel consumption will be as you lose kinetic energy each time u brake which is also higher with intensity. Braking from 120kmph to 20kmph loses more energy than braking from 80kmph to same 20kmph. So if u don't have a smooth journey ahead, don't speed too much.

2. Efficiency is best on the highest gear (5) which u can only attain at about 100km/hr.

3. Energy spent on Drag per distance increases as the increase of the square shocked of velocity -- this makes energy spent on drag at high speeds terribly higher than that spent at low speeds--- such that even at 100km/hr on gear 5, the efficiency gains are far less compared to d extra energy spent on drag!!

Bonus: if your car is clean the drag will be slightly less than if it is very dirty(rougher surface increases drag-- this is why if u clean ur house windows and nets, ventilation feels better)

Also, using AC in hot sun at 100kmph+ is more fuel efficient than winding down (drag is much higher at high speeds)
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by buygala(m): 2:23am On Jan 09, 2023
9icetoo:

What car is this?

06 Prado
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by buygala(m): 2:38am On Jan 09, 2023
Elxandre:

Lol..

Fuel don too cost for make i dey misbehave with my accelerator o.. Added to the fact that I suspect that fuel that's being sold in Nigeria is the lowest of the lowest quality, because of the speed at which it burns.

1 Like

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Musty4ahmed1: 9:54am On Jan 09, 2023
buygala:

If you no fit do highway driving, park. your car for house enter public transport, instead of endangering other people's life and yours on highway..
Their is a fast lane for fast and furious drivers nah, I maintain my slow lane, except the driver is blind that will hit me from behind, I do 100kph when the road is free and smooth and when overtaking heavy duty vehicles.

1 Like

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by buygala(m): 10:06am On Jan 09, 2023
Musty4ahmed1:
Their is a fast lane for fast and furious drivers nah, I maintain my slow lane, except the driver is blind that will hit me from behind, I do 100kph when the road is free and smooth and when overtaking heavy duty vehicles.

Most Nigerian Highways are not dual-carriage for you to have any "slow lane" to yourself..

That means most of the time while doing your 80km/hr, you are sitting and constituting nuisance in the only lane available to drivers going in the same direction that you are..

If you like, hear.. If you like no hear..

2 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Musty4ahmed1: 11:29am On Jan 09, 2023
buygala:

Most Nigerian Highways are not dual-carriage for you to have any "slow lane" to yourself..

That means most of the time while doing your 80km/hr, you are sitting and constituting nuisance in the only lane available to drivers going in the same direction that you are..

If you like, hear.. If you like no hear..
I have been doing this for years and with God's guidance no issues whatsoever, if you like run like lightning I will still get to same destination with you if we are heading same direction, highest you will get there 1hr ahead of me which I doubt. Remember speed kills.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by ITbomb(m): 11:49am On Jan 09, 2023
Conner44:

What goes here is
Driving 60-80km/hr on gear 5 saves more fuel than driving 20-40km/hr on gear 2 or 3

The best rule is, keep your rpm at 2-2.5 (x1000) for optimal performance of your engine

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Expensive Armored Cars In The World / Cars Below 1 Million? / Nissan Maxima 1996 Stalled While Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.