Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. (8280 Views)

My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! / Tastefully Finished 3bedroom Flat @ Ibeshe Ikorodu. 1year Rent. (PIXXXX) / Decent Miniflat @ Lawyer Estate, Agric-Ikorodu. (1Year Rent). PIXXX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by queensmith: 1:24pm On Sep 05, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ but, some people think he will be a coward for doing that?

thats beside the point, you are living in his house the last thing you want to do is create the landord from hell! He is obviously very satisfied with his current home and if he wants to keep it that way that may be his best option.
He could always gather the other tenants to dispute the landlords new demands but if said landlord is crazy it will just be a waste of time and money. imo
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2011
Sacarstic:

The fact is we are morally and spiritually bankrupt in this country, i will like to make it clear to you that in a civilized clime you cannot break the law you can only break yourself to comply with the law that is why the United States, Britain is what it is today that we are all cramping ourselves to go there no matter the ill treatment they give to us. I own properties here in Lagos and Port Harcourt, i have sent a circular to all my tenants in Lagos to comply with the newly passed law, my tenants are happy with me and i am happy with them. A tenant even approached me and said Oga your actions humbles me,please i am willing to pay you your normal 1yr rent and others did same but i told them "NO". If that is what i can do to make life easy for people and make Nigeria a better place i am ok with it, Do not think i have so much,i have my problems as well but that is what the law says i should do period. Don`t make decisions blindly on the basis of ethnicity,nepotism or religion. "Nation of idiots ruled by fools".

The country needs more of people like you. Nigerians go abroad and respect the laws of other countries but at home they treat their laws like it does not exist and then complain to high heavens about the state of things meanwhile we are all part of the problem. A law is a law. This particular one favours the majority people should respect it. OP if you have to go to court pls do.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by NOJE: 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
I would advice you to discuss with your landlord rather than relying on the tenancy law that will not help you.  At best, your landlord will ask you to quit owing to family needs for the said apartment.  It's unfortunate that Fashola is trying his hands on what can never work.  The summary of it all is that "You can't give what you don't have"
Fashola should embark on affordable mass housing scheme.  This is where raising bonds should come in and secondly, address the issue of omo-onile who are reaping where they didn't sow from prospective builders.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
@ sarcastic, you are a good man and God will bless you, however for those landlords not able to abide by this rule because of their own situation and condition, where does this law leave them? The law is the law, only if it is fair to all. You cannot implement a law that is lopsided, the problems you will create will be more than the one you will solve.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
Law is Law I repeat. It is not negotiable. If you pay over 6 months of rent, you risk imprisonment or fine. If your Landlord takes receives more than 6 months of rent, he also risk imprisonment or fine. This is not negotiable. And for all other nairalanders who I feel are uneducated or half illiterates, it is not if he can afford or not, and has nothing to do with landlord accepting. Law is Law. And the Law is on the side of no one. Pay 1yr and go to jail, receive 1yr and go to jail. Simple !
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 1:34pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^^ what about 'leave my house' or face me in court? Is that not simple also?
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by femmy2010(m): 1:35pm On Sep 05, 2011
LeoMax:

Law is Law I repeat. It is not negotiable. If you pay over 6 months of rent, you risk imprisonment or fine. If your Landlord takes receives more than 6 months of rent, he also risk imprisonment or fine. This is not negotiable.  Law is Law. And the Law is on the side of no one. Pay 1yr and go to jail, receive 1yr and go to jail. Simple !  

It does not get any simpler than this
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by femmy2010(m): 1:36pm On Sep 05, 2011
spyder880:

^^^^ what about 'leave my house' or face me in court? Is that not simple also?

It is easy at least the tenant would have about 6month notice to look for an alternative abode.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 1:37pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^ and the landlord can make that lost 6 months plus more from the next tenant, now who lost?
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by beeman80: 1:39pm On Sep 05, 2011
My dear,please call 112 from any Multilinks,starcomms or land phone and report the case accordingly stating your house address and the landlord's name.I assure you that he will be picked up ASAP.If a law has been passed then lets obey it.I am also a LANDLORD's son like many others here but I live in my own house.In the United Kingdom you get to pay monthly so why should ours be different?No sentiments my dear,REPORT!
PS: You could also report to Alex Omorodion on facebook (Search with the name,look for pix of a man in grey blue suite browsing on a desktop).He is actually in charge of security related issues in LAGOS STATE but he might be able to channel your complaint to the appropriate body.Good luck!
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by beeman80: 1:41pm On Sep 05, 2011
Iliveon:

My landlord is insisting on collecting 1year rent from me after the Tenancy law was passed. My rent was due at the end of August 2011, but on the 28th of August, the man held a meeting with the tenants and distributed a circular wherein contain a paragraph stating that "house rent must be paid fully every year as at when due. Part payment is not accepted". I need an advice on what to do as not to pay 1year rent but 6months rent as stipulated in the Tenancy Law. There are other issues he man raised in the circular which I think contradict what is stated in the law. Please give me advice on how I can enforce what the law. Thanks
My dear,please call 112 from any Multilinks,starcomms or land phone and report the case accordingly stating your house address and the landlord's name.I assure you that he will be picked up ASAP.If a law has been passed then lets obey it.I am also a LANDLORD's son like many others here but I live in my own house.In the United Kingdom you get to pay monthly so why should ours be different?No sentiments my dear,REPORT!
PS: You could also report to Alex Omorodion on facebook (Search with the name,look for pix of a man in grey blue suite browsing on a desktop).He is actually in charge of security related issues in LAGOS STATE but he might be able to channel your complaint to the appropriate body.Good luck!
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 1:41pm On Sep 05, 2011
Truly, truly I say unto you, except you provide the tenants with a better alternative to paying these shylock landlords, they shall continue to be at the mercy of the landowners who will always manipulate these weak set of laws. We need alternatives and not insensitive legislation.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 05, 2011
Any sitting tenant who pays more than 6 months rent to any LandLord is a fool, illiterate, silly, uneducated, and anti-law
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 1:48pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^ starting from this case, let him prove he is wise and loves the law.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by femmy2010(m): 1:50pm On Sep 05, 2011
A Law is to be obeyed and the landlord definitely has to obey the tenancy law.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^^ seconded. That's the supremacy of law, from my LAW101 class.loll.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2011
Do you guys think this tenant has the 'liver' to take this up? If he does, will he be here campaigning for support? Its easy for us to urge him on till you push into a wrestling match with a lion. (Just playing and enjoying myself today) no offense intended to the OP.
But who will bell the cat?
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 05, 2011
@spyder880 If the tenant has no liver to report the case, he will have the liver to stay in jail. Full Stop, there is no provision for complacency.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2011
Let's take this a little further, statistics available fom common sense tells me there are about 4 million tenents in lagos?
If this stat holds fie then the first 5 days of September divided into 4m/365/5 days will throw up more than 2100 tenants whose house rents should have expired by the first 5 days of this month alone, where are all the other 2099 tenants apart from this poster? Have they paid, why? And if they have not, where has the case gone to, we need to know.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2011
Unfortunately some of you are so stupid and needs to be cursed or reprimanded before you understand. The Law says do not pay more than 6 months. It has nothing to do with accepting. If you pay and the landlord accepts, you go to jail and he goes to jail. LAW IS LAW AND HAS TO BE UPHELD ABOVE OTHER THINGS. THATS THE RULE OF LAW ABOVE OTHER THINGS
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by chines4(m): 2:09pm On Sep 05, 2011
LeoMax:

Any sitting tenant who pays more than 6 months rent to any LandLord is a fool, illiterate, silly, uneducated, and anti-law
Hmmmmmm and you advice him to go to court, with his landlord, over the landlords property. Bros the best thing is if you have the money pay, if you don't have plead with your landlord to take what you have and give you time to raise the remaining. Remember that tomorrow you will be landlord oooo
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^ abeg Leomax, dot take it personal, this is only an online chat, please keep it civil bros?
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 2:12pm On Sep 05, 2011
Nice one chines4, I hope people will realize this.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 05, 2011
@spyder880

We have been civil for too long and nothing changes in this great country. Its time we deal with it. I own a house, and I am also a tenant in another apartment. I wont allow my better financial status to derail the law of the land. The law was meant to protect the poor from the Landlords and if the landlord intimidate you report the issue to the authorities. If he gives you quit notice, you live that 6 months for free and move out. Every landlord will sit up
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 05, 2011
@chines4

The Law did not make provision for that. Its illegal to pay over 6 months and its also illegal to receive more than 6 months. Both tenant/Landlord faces imprisonment if they disobey the law. I do not take sides with either the landlord or the tenant. My jurisdiction is the Law. I hope you understand.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by spyder880(m): 2:26pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^^ true, but you know all the parties are not considered and this only sets the tenants and landlord on a collision course, and who wins? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by norrisman: 2:34pm On Sep 05, 2011
God help you if na my papa house you know want pay rent complete. The thing wey your eye go see u go regret say ya mama born u. What u leaches forget is that your prayers are that you should become a landlord one day and I hope you tenants refuse to pay your rent complete then you will know how it feels.

Maybe I have been away from Nigeria too long but all this take him to court business is making me laugh. maybe if you are paying top dollars somewhere in VI or Ikoyi then yes but if you are part of the majority renting in Akute, Iju, Ejigbo, Egbeda, Mushin e.t.c. then you better think twice. It will take omo onile less than 2 hours to remove all your property and less than a week for a new tenant to be found

Awon oloshi oloriburuku. You go tell me whether Fashola 10kobo dey inside the money wey the man take build him house

And finally to all the fools saying you can live for free for 1 year, I lived for free for 3 years e.t.c. It isnt rent free. Just because you have refused to pay rent doesnt mean the rent is not due and if you are happy to take a landlord to court then be prepared for the landlord to take you to court to recover his unpaid rent.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by pepeless: 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2011
@stagger,can you please send me your email address. i will like us to discuss a business proposal privately.
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by babaowo: 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
how many goverment houses is avoidable for the masses
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by bfire(m): 3:33pm On Sep 05, 2011
@Spyder:
Im very disappointed about the way you are tacitly implying that the landlord is right.

Though, it's your opinion that matters to you, there are some of us here who likes your style and assume you stand for the truth and the rule of law.

Yes, you are not the only one commenting on this  topic, but you are a very big house member on the property section and your opinion counts a lot just as much as Lawyer's and Nexthome.

The law has been enacted it is therefore important that we adhere to the rules. There are no other ways to it. Whether you own  a property or you feel bad about  it does not matter as such since it was done to protect the weak and majorities.

It does  not count whether Fashola, Tinubu or Jonathan are selling  a plot in space  for N10b naira. We must learn  to put  our law and fellow human beings first.  Anyways, we'll not carry all these wealth to heaven now. Haba!
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by bagodin(m): 3:38pm On Sep 05, 2011
shit happens all d time,she so cute though!
Re: My Landlord Insists On 1year Rent. by coogar: 3:43pm On Sep 05, 2011
beeman80:

My dear,please call 112 from any Multilinks,starcomms or land phone and report the case accordingly stating your house address and the landlord's name.I assure you that he will be picked up ASAP.If a law has been passed then lets obey it[b].I am also a LANDLORD's son like many others here but I live in my own house.In the United Kingdom you get to pay monthly so why should ours be different?No sentiments my dear,REPORT[/b]!

here lies the difference. . .

i think governor fashola erred by passing this ridiculous law that favours the tenant without thinking of protecting the landlords who pay premium to build and maintain their properties. in the united kingdom, tenants pay monthly or even weekly but the landlords are protected by solid insurance schemes and courts of law that actually works. if a tenant refuses to pay, judges get bailiffs to throw such tenants out within few months. in lagos, tenants have been known to stay 4 yrs without paying any rent whilst the case is being dragged and dragged in the courts. . . .

it is unfair on the landlords. they have no protection from the government at all.
landlords are not monsters. they take rents in advance because they protect themselves from unscrupulous tenants who sometimes refuse to pay for years.
i think lagos landlords should look for new strategies. forget house for rent, use house for lease. fashola's law is impotent to that legal technicality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bill of Quantities for 2 Bedroom Flat (foundation) / Your Dream Home Awaits You At Brenthills Estate. Maitama Ext., @ #34M Per Plot / Profile of a Construction & Real Estate Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.