Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,690 members, 7,809,605 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? (10163 Views)

Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? / 60 Million Nigerians To Have Internet Access By 2013 / Exciting Opportunity For Free To Everyone Who Is Internet Friendly: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Pinoralia: 12:17am On Sep 06, 2011
Why Is Internet Access Charge This High In Nigeria?

It's amazing why internet access charge is this high in Nigeria. In the uk, all you need to load on your usb dongle "modem" is £10 approx N2500 and have access to a very fast internet service 24/7 for a month. Telecoms operators here charge 6 times of that here and give less service sometimes. Or they charge something a bit less than this and give time frame. Do they import internet service too as they complain about some products or they are trying tell us internet is only meant for the rich. If they can give data bundles as bonus for recharging your phone, then I don't think internet access should be this high. Should we blame it on our govt as usual? Must every good thing be luxury in Nigeria?
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Pinoralia: 12:24am On Sep 06, 2011
Despite the fact that telecom companies in the western worlds pay more tax that their counterparts in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by tunde300us(m): 7:35am On Sep 06, 2011
The problem with telecom companies here in Nigeria is becos of infrastructure issues, and so it makes the last mile distribution of internet very expensive.
Its getting better now cos of the fibre that main-one and glo ran into the country, but it can be better .
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 06, 2011
most of the telecomms companies are greedy, they are making use of the system of govt will operate which is base on greed.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by dydroy: 8:10am On Sep 06, 2011
tunde300us:

The problem with telecom companies here in Nigeria is becos of infrastructure issues, and so it makes the last mile distribution of internet very expensive.
Its getting better now cos of the fibre that main-one and glo ran into the country, but it can be better .

+1

The heavy cost of deployment (licenses/community issues) | poor infrastructure | non-existent power is simply transferred to the user.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by claremont(m): 8:14am On Sep 06, 2011
Pinoralia:

It's amazing why internet access charge is this high in Nigeria. In the uk, all you need to load on your usb dongle "modem" is £10 approx N2500 and have access to a very fast internet service 24/7 for a month. Telecoms operators here charge 6 times of that here and give less service sometimes. Or they charge something a bit less than this and give time frame. Do they import internet service too as they complain about some products or they are trying tell us internet is only meant for the rich. If they can give data bundles as bonus for recharging your phone, then I don't think internet access should be this high. Should we blame it on our govt as usual? Must every good thing be luxury in Nigeria?
Guy, as far as I know, the PAYG Internet service you just described CANNOT last a dedicated Internet user for 1 week not to talk of a month. I have used the £10 dongle before now, and I had to reduce my Internet workload in order to even make it last a week; therefore, your statement "in the uk, all you need to load on your usb dongle "modem" is £10 approx N2500 and have access to a very fast internet service 24/7 for a month" is false; only Contract Internet access packages can last a month irrespective of the workload placed on it, PAYG can run out in a week.

Nigeria has come a long way from were it used to be as far as Internet is concerned; eventually, we will get there. The speed at which the IT and Telecoms sector in Nigeria is developing makes me believe that in a couple of years from now, Nigeria may just be a country with the cheapest telephone and Internet access worldwide.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by member479760: 8:17am On Sep 06, 2011
op - you don forget say your professors never contribute or invented anything to make it cheap!
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by wolebaba(m): 8:22am On Sep 06, 2011
Naija internet is not the cheapest in the world, I used to pay 1500 rupees(4500 naira) for a 256/256 shared bandwidth, and it lasts d whole month despite my habitual reckless downloading and streaming, But I guess operators there dont have as much wahala as dem naija counterpart, Infrastructure is the key,
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by PStacks(m): 8:39am On Sep 06, 2011
Nigeria is bleeped up men, i dont use BB but my regular laptop, MTN take over 8k from me every month
BB is 3k yeah, but wtf men! this thing is got to come down. thank God this guy's talked about it. all scvam artist. empty hen.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by mfess(m): 8:41am On Sep 06, 2011
diz z da govt. faultz.

NCC have a lot to do dan diz Sim registration of a fn.

Not only are internet services expensive but dey are also very bad. Callin z also xpensive. Lotz of hidden charges,
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:50am On Sep 06, 2011
IT simply has to do with the over-head cost of operating a business in NIgeria,

By the time you factor in the cost of Diesel (#165/liter), multiple taxation from all three tiers of government plus that of the NCC, cost of servicing and maintaining their equipments which are mostly imported, then you would realize that we are getting this service for almost free. I have to pay #9'500 for 8gig of Data every month, I dont mind it at all.

Like someone said, with time, it would only get better.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by mfess(m): 8:53am On Sep 06, 2011
wolebaba:

Naija internet is not the cheapest in the world, I used to pay 1500 rupees(4500 naira) for a 256/256 shared bandwidth, and it lasts d whole month despite my habitual reckless downloading and streaming, But I guess operators there dont have as much wahala as dem naija counterpart, Infrastructure is the key,
wolebaba:

infrastructure indeed

guess you need to chech dis out n see how much people like mtm are making here in 9ja.

www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/18880-mtn-nigeria-rakes-in-n749-billion-revenues-

MTN Nigeria rakes in N749 billion
revenues

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-620706.0.html

As MTN Nigeria Communications
Limited turns 10, it has every reason to
celebrate. The company’s
shareholders in South Africa took a
massive gamble on the Nigerian
market when they decided to pay $ 285 million for a GSM licence following
an auction held by the Nigerian
Communications Commission in
February 2001.
Today, not only is MTN Nigeria the
jewel in the MTN Group’s crown, its success story has proven that with the
right business strategy and marketing
guile, Nigeria can turn out an investors
dream, despite the challenges of
operating in the terrain.
This was evident in the survey conducted by THISDAY last week on
MTN Nigeria’s operations which
showed that in 10 years, the company
grossed a total of N2.988 trillion in
revenues between March 2001 and
December 2010, and posted profits after tax amounting to N857.655
billion during the same period.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/
with-n3trn-revenue-n857bn-in-
profit-mtn-makes-it-big/97270/
In 10 years, the company has also grown its subscriber base from
327,000 in its first year of operation
ending March 2002 to 40.5 million
revenue generating subscribers by
June 2011, representing 52 percent of
market share and accounting for 26.6 percent of the MTN Group subscriber
mix, comprising South Africa, Iran and
other countries where the company
operates.
But it has not been a bed of roses for
MTN in Nigeria, as its first financial result in 2002 showed that it reported
a loss after tax of N5.091 billion, but
was able to turn this around by the
next year by investing in an
aggressive network expansion
programme. Between 2001 and 2010, the
company’s results indicated that MTN
Nigeria invested N887.577 billion in
fixed assets, enabling the company to
build the largest network in the
country comprising approximately 7,000 base transceiver stations, the
largest switch in the world, the largest
transmission network in terms of fibre
and microwave in Africa, and has
landed a submarine cable in the
country to complement the bandwidth capability in Nigeria.
Funding its investment in the network
required MTN to seek short and long
term financing of N1.143 trillion from
local and international markets during
the 10 year period. Having enjoyed the pioneer status
granted GSM operators, which were
exempted them from paying company
income tax in the first five years of
operations, MTN Nigeria, nonetheless,
has paid taxes (starting in 2006), sundry levies and annual operating
levies to the federal government and
the NCC totaling N546.113 billion.

They are zappin  9jerianz.
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-746847.0.html
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by owobokiri(m): 8:54am On Sep 06, 2011
Why? Because You use other peoples settlite since the advent of electronic communications. A lot of people within and outside the country are making a kill through this. You may want to ask 'Why is it that making international calls from Nigeria is like commiting a finacial suicide?' Only somebody from Nigeria will call you (flash you) and drop the phone hoping you call back because if he maintains the call for a minute, he will drain his cash. We are using other peoples infastructures and our people are paying dearly for that . Those people both at home and abroad who are making lots of cash from this scheme, will do whatever they can to stop the country from developing her own communication structures and they have their moles in government who get their commission to maintain this state of things. Almost every foreign structure used for internet services in Nigeria is located overseas.   It is the same with the banking sector where you have to pay commssions to foreign banks allinged with 'small' Nigerian banks to get some international transactions done. All these because Nigerian banks are small players who will rather make noise on CNN than shore up their base and compete on equal terms.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by stmarc32(m): 8:59am On Sep 06, 2011
atleast its better than the internet service here in australia, you pay per gig
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by beethoven: 8:59am On Sep 06, 2011
The Internet is a network of networks and most of these networks exist in Europe, America, Asia etc). So when you are in these locations, all you just need to do is plug into the already existing network. But here in Africa we need to find a means of connecting to Europe and the likes where the rich network of networks exists i.e the Internet. Achieving this is unusually every expensive (Satellite, Underwater fibre optic cables etc), hence the high cost on the consumer side of things. With more underwater cables being laid here and there from Africa to Europe, the cost will gradually lower but bet, it can't be as cheap as Europe/America cos they own the Internet.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by chidyke77(m): 9:05am On Sep 06, 2011
stmarc32:

atleast its better than the internet service here in australia, you pay per gig
we do same here coz i used to pay 5k for 3gb data on etisalat,just a few download u wl see d gigabite reducing to megabite. Very pathetic indeed
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by mujila: 9:11am On Sep 06, 2011
5 gig in Dubai is around 300 dhs which is around 11k naira. 6 gig is 7.5k on glo! The service is not that good on du!
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by beknown(m): 9:15am On Sep 06, 2011

The same reason why there is no stable electricity in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 06, 2011
The overheads of these companies are very high when you consider that they have to run generators 24/7
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by oneuniquemind(m): 9:36am On Sep 06, 2011
U knw dey av tax 2 pay God 4 d air d tin go pass.i fink it bein a competative market is makin it beta.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:47am On Sep 06, 2011
infrastructure, overhead bla bla bla.

continue trying to console yourself and assuage your ego as to why you are being fleeced.

once upon a time, this same line was used to convince us to pay 50 bucks per minute. now its averagely 20 bucks, has the infrastructure improved? is the overhead cost lower?    but profitability is going up no?

if its so hard to do telecoms business in nigeria, yet MTN is declaring billions in profit, that type of "hard" business is what i wanna be doing.

so if all this excuses u chaps are saying dont exist, they will be declaring trillions?

believe what you will. i dont begrudge them that much, if we are too stoopid to help ourselves, we should not expect foreigners to come help us.

BTW, since the much heralded cables have landed in nigeria, has the costs of internet gone down at all?  please remind us with dates and figures.
at least before then, we heard so much about how the none existence of the cables were responsible for costs.

even though we all publicly know that main one has reduced the cost of bulk connectivity by at least 20-30 percent, and Glo-1 even lower.

as per tax, boo hoo. dem for dey do business for free na. other companies dont pay tax? do u realise the tax rates for telcos in nigeria is actually very low?

if tomorrow, we get 24 hrs power etc etc, we can simply expect MTN to wait 2 years then do a promo "dashing" us extra 3mb on any bundle grin grin grin

forget this talk abeg, as long as we don't have people who care sufficiently enough in government to curtail the crass profiteering, dream on
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Greenslim: 9:51am On Sep 06, 2011
economy id bad
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by phreakabit(m): 9:59am On Sep 06, 2011
3 words : OBJ + Senators = Egunje

Do the maths.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by iz2much: 10:20am On Sep 06, 2011
i think internet is cheap when a whole uses it. Modem is not the best. it charges you more and you cant stay online 247
like here once the whole house pays $55 we can browse unlimited wireless Internet for a whole month and we are 6 Using it so my own share is just like $9.5 a month. which is like 1520 nigerian naira. i think its cheap uninterrupted o. after 30 days they give you 3 days free. 512/256mbs thats the downloading and uploading speed. if you want more you pay abit higher. i dont think we can get that in nigeria. so the dude is right
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by femmy2010(m): 10:55am On Sep 06, 2011
Pinoralia:

It is a sign that we are ready to be forced to do cashless transaction. embarassed
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by femmy2010(m): 10:57am On Sep 06, 2011
H$LBroker:

most of the telecomms companies are greedy, they are making use of the system of govt will operate which is base on greed.

What do we expect when a company power their generator 24/7 using diesel bought for N140/L.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Bawss1(m): 11:05am On Sep 06, 2011
On the homepage this thread reads

Why is Internet Access Cost So Much in Nigeria?   shocked

Why Does Internet Access Cost So Much in Nigeria?  - much better  smiley

Is Musiwa now super mod?
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Evans5050: 11:05am On Sep 06, 2011
EVERYTHING BOILS DOWN TO ISSUE OF POWER

WHEN A COMPANY RUN'S IT CELL-SITE WITH DIESEL 24 / 7.

THING WILL GET BETTER IF THERE IS STABLE POWER IN THE COUNTRY.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by mukina2: 11:06am On Sep 06, 2011
Bawss1:

Is Musiwa now super mod?
lol forgif me
effects of sleep typing grin grin
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Johnsinia(m): 11:12am On Sep 06, 2011
Na wa o,ppl are complainng that internet access is cost while studnts in UNN enjoy free of charge internet access 24/7; no b lie o,i witness it wen i went there 4 my pume.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 06, 2011
[size=15pt]I remember how frustrating it was to get internet service especially as an enthusiast back them. I'm pretty sure i would not have been able to accomplish the little i have if i was still in Naija. It was so frustrating.[/size]
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Kx: 11:13am On Sep 06, 2011

[quote][/quote]
Are we on the same page?
what i can see is:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Error Apple Application Support Is Required To Run Itunes / Facebook Messenger Now Supports 4K Photos Sharing / SOLD. USA Used HP Compaq CQ41 For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.