Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,863 members, 7,824,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series (988 Views)

Things Only A Dad Can Do! / A Single Dad Needs A Woman / When Mom's Away! Funny Photos Dad's Can Relate With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 3:08am On Jan 23, 2023
https://guardian.ng/life/being-a-single-dad-can-shorten-your-life-study/

BEING A SINGLE DAD CAN SHORTEN YOUR LIFE – STUDY
By AFP

15 February 2018 | 12:40 pm

The risk of dying prematurely more than doubles for single fathers compared to single mothers or paired-up dads, according to a study of Canadian families published Thursday.

“Our research highlights that single fathers have higher mortality, and demonstrates the need for public health policies to help identify and support these men,” said lead author Maria Chiu, a scientist at the University of Toronto.

The findings, published in The Lancet Public Health, may apply to wealthy nations with similar ratios of single-parent families to Canada, the researchers said.

Chiu and colleagues tracked nearly 40,500 people across Canada over 11 years. The subjects — who included 4,590 single moms and 871 single dads — were, on average, in their early 40s when the study began.

Nearly 700 died by the end of the monitoring period.

Compared to partnered fathers or single moms, the death rate was three times higher among single fathers. shocked
Factoring in that solo dads tended to be older, had higher cancer rates, and were more prone to heart disease, the researchers concluded their mortality risk was still twice as high.

Likely culprits include poor lifestyle choices and stress, Chiu said.

“We did find that single fathers tended to have unhealthier lifestyles,” which could include poor diet, lack of exercise, or excessive drinking, she said.

Men parenting on their own were more likely to be separated, divorced or widowed than single mothers — a larger proportion of whom raise babies conceived outside of a relationship, the team found.

Having experienced a breakup is a risk factor for mental ill health.

“These results show that single fathers might be a particularly vulnerable group,” Rachel Simpson, an epidemiologist at the University of Oxford, commented in the same journal.

Making matters worse, a 2016 study showed that go-it-alone dads — even if they acknowledge being in poor shape, physically and mentally — are less likely to seek professional help than women.

– A stiff drink –
Single-parent households have become more common across the developed world in recent decades.

In the United States, for example, the percentage of children living with single mothers nearly tripled from eight percent in 1960 to 23 percent in 2016, according to the US Census.

The percentage living with single fathers increased from one to four over the same period.

In Europe, Denmark tops the list of single-parent households which make up 30 percent of the total.

Of those, 23 percent are headed by women and seven percent by men, according to the OECD rich country grouping.

The corresponding percentages are 19 and four for France; 14 and five for Sweden, 17 and two for Germany; 16 and three for Canada.

Rates of single-parenthood are even higher in many low-income nations, especially in Africa, according to Joseph Chamie, former director of the UN Population Division.

Close to 40 percent of children in South Africa, for example, have their mother as the sole parent, and four percent have only a dad.

Other countries with a large share of single-parent households include Mozambique (36 percent), Dominican Republic (35 percent), Liberia (31 percent), and Kenya (30 percent), he noted in a 2016 report.

“Of the world’s 2.3 billion children, 14 percent — or 320 million — are living in a single-parent household,” he calculated.

In at least two categories, single fathers hold a slight edge over solo moms.

Researchers at the University of Illinois found that moms on their own make about two-thirds of what their male counterparts earn.

And a study in South Korea, published in PLOS ONE, showed single mothers were three times more likely to become alcohol dependent.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 3:08am On Jan 23, 2023
I often wondered what would happen if men could cope with single-parenthood like women try to do.
I know some will come at me for picking on men again for the areas where women are stronger.
It is all about topics I find interesting.

No guys. . . I am only trying to point out areas we can improve in our family lives.
I had mentioned on the previous longevity thread. . . that men could NEVER put up with half the stress caused by single parenting on women.

In fact. . . single parenthood is a challenge. . . and women are more at the receiving end. Women are often looked down on for being single parents. What if men were mostly the single parents. . . .how well would they cope? I found some interesting finds.

Let's dive in. . . .

THE RISE OF SINGLE-FATHERS. . . .

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2013/07/02/the-rise-of-single-fathers/#:~:text=As%20a%20result%2C%20men%20make,single%20mothers%20and%20single%20fathers.

REPORT JULY 2, 2013
The Rise of Single Fathers A Ninefold Increase Since 1960
BY GRETCHEN LIVINGSTON

A record 8% of households with minor children in the United States are headed by a single father, up from just over 1% in 1960, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of Decennial Census and American Community Survey data.

SDT-2013-07-single-fathers-01The number of single father households has increased about ninefold since 1960, from less than 300,000 to more than 2.6 million in 2011.1 In comparison, the number of single mother households increased more than fourfold during that time period, up to 8.6 million in 2011, from 1.9 million in 1960.

. . . . . continued.

1 Like

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 3:34am On Jan 23, 2023
Where there are resources to help single mothers. . . very few are available for single fathers if at all.
We are all familiar with the single mother experience. I WAS RAISED BY A SINGLE DAD IN NIGERIA. . . .proudly so. cool(My mom lived down the street. . . but refused to live with my dad grin. . . for many gooooood reasons. . . . They were sooooooooooo incompartible. Na only pregnancy bring them toghether I swear!). . . .I honestly could say I WOULD NOT HAVE MARRIED EITHER OF THEM WALAHI! cheesy My dad. . .thought he could handle single-parenthood. . . and my mom ended up outliving him. Case-closed! I am a living example of what single-parenting can do to a MAN WITHOUT THE HELP OF A WIFE OR PARTNER. . . .HE NEVER REMARRIED! kiss My father refused to allow ANY OTHER WOMAN COME INTO HIS HOUSE TO RAISE HIS 4 CHILDREN. . . AND DIED RAISING THEM HIMSELF or with MY MOM ONLY. Respects darling father. You were not a TYPICAL NIGERIAN WOMAN-WRAPPER OF A MAN.

When my parents divorced. . . my mom objected to joint custody. She FLATLY REFUSED to take any of us o. She was wise to know that my father would make a better single parent, and she was right! kiss

You see? My dad sacrificed EVERYTHING FOR HIS CHILDREN. . . .The reason I work hard and not carried away by emotional jazz from men or boys. I was raised by a strict disciplinarian. . . so I don't take BS from man, woman, animal, child or spirit!

In the process. . . he paid a huge price WITH HIS EMOTIONAL AND FINANCIAL HEALTH. He was chained to his 4 children. . .till we all graduated from college/university. . . and started working with our own families. Then he died of A STROKE. My mom now lives with her children enjoying her life with her grand children. Such is life.

https://www.parents.com/parenting/dynamics/single-parenting/single-moms-vs-single-dads-a-look-at-the-double-standards-of-single-parenthood-how-we-can-do-better/

Single Moms vs. Single Dads: Examining the Double Standards of Single Parenthood
While society's commitment to promoting equality for all parents is only getting stronger, social perceptions of single moms and single dads still vary greatly. Let's investigate the disparities and pinpoint how we can do better to support all solo parents.

. . . . . continued

Yes! There are double standards when dealing with homes involving single mothers vs single fathers.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by everythinggirly(f): 6:34am On Jan 23, 2023
It's not easy for both party tho, but I don't see any reason that they won't get acquainted with someone at the long run.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 8:56am On Feb 05, 2023
Is it easy to get accquainted with someone without a child?
It is not easy for a woman or man to accept a child in any relationship.
My take? RAISE YOUR CHILD or CHILDREN FRIST before you start looking for a relationship.
The children never asked to be born or deprived from a home with both parents to raise them.
After you have raised your children and they are independent, then YOU CAN GO AND SEARCH FOR YOUR OWN HAPPINESS.

The children deserve your undivided attention. Your child does not need a 'replacement mother or father' because you want to be 'happy' and irresponsibly put your selfish needs before those of your child or children.

Too many 'MUNGO PARKS' and 'AUNTY PATRICIAS' all over Nigeria/africa who have no business getting married or re-married.

Thank God for men like my father who NEVER REMARRIED as a single parent! He just could not see himself givng his children another mother, especially when their own mother was still alive. He had a few girlfriends and 'side' chicks. . . .but he NEVER BROUGHT THEM HOME and we NEVER KNEW THEM. He sacrifiiced all. . . . .and we reaped the benefits

1 Like

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Nobody: 5:24am On Feb 06, 2023
1. You won't take nonsense from any man and your hubby is enduring your nonesense?

2. Your mother does not deserve a good man like your father. I pitty foolish men who think they can use money to make a woman to love them. Such men are just too fooooooolish.

Things like this is why I always believe that women have shallow brain.

KanwuliaExtra:
Where there are resources to help single mothers. . . very few are available for single fathers if at all.
We are all familiar with the single mother experience. I WAS RAISED BY A SINGLE DAD IN NIGERIA. . . .proudly so. cool(My mom lived down the street. . . but refused to live with my dad grin. . . for many gooooood reasons. . . . They were sooooooooooo incompartible. Na only pregnancy bring them toghether I swear!). . . .I honestly could say I WOULD NOT HAVE MARRIED EITHER OF THEM WALAHI! cheesy My dad. . .thought he could handle single-parenthood. . . and my mom ended up outliving him. Case-closed! I am a living example of what single-parenting can do to a MAN WITHOUT THE HELP OF A WIFE OR PARTNER. . . .HE NEVER REMARRIED! kiss My father refused to allow ANY OTHER WOMAN COME INTO HIS HOUSE TO RAISE HIS 4 CHILDREN. . . AND DIED RAISING THEM HIMSELF or with MY MOM ONLY. Respects darling father. You were not a TYPICAL NIGERIAN WOMAN-WRAPPER OF A MAN.

When my parents divorced. . . my mom objected to joint custody. She FLATLY REFUSED to take any of us o. She was wise to know that my father would make a better single parent, and she was right! kiss

You see? My dad sacrificed EVERYTHING FOR HIS CHILDREN. . . .The reason I work hard and not carried away by emotional jazz from men or boys. I was raised by a strict disciplinarian. . . so I don't take BS from man, woman, animal, child or spirit!

In the process. . . he paid a huge price WITH HIS EMOTIONAL AND FINANCIAL HEALTH. He was chained to his 4 children. . .till we all graduated from college/university. . . and started working with our own families. Then he died of A STROKE. My mom now lives with her children enjoying her life with her grand children. Such is life.

Yes! There are double standards when dealing with homes involving single mothers vs single fathers.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 7:25am On Feb 06, 2023
eDarlling:

1. You won't take nonsense from any man and your hubby is enduring your nonesense?

2. Your mother does not deserve a good man like your father. I pitty foolish men who think they can use money to make a woman to love them. Such men are just too fooooooolish.

Things like this is why I always believe that women have shallow brain.

Don’t get personal.
To reply you;

1. I stated I will not take BS from “any man, woman, child, spirit or animal”. Why did you single out the “man” only? My marriage should not be your concern. Face your own life.✅

2. My darling parents are MINE! Please, face yours!✅ Not all parents are cognitively- impaired with lack of prioritization and self-gratification. If they had problems with each other, they did not involve us and thank God for that! 🙏🏽

I wish more women would leave the children with their responsible fathers LIKE MINE! Nigeria and the world would be a better place! kiss

But women can’t even trust their male partners or husbands with their own children FOR GOOOOOD REASONS TOO.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 06, 2023
Do you have sense at all?

Then keep your family life away from this forum.

KanwuliaExtra:

Don’t get personal.
To reply you;

1. I stated I will not take BS from “any man, woman, child, spirit or animal”. Why did you single out the “man” only? My marriage should not be your concern. Face your own life.✅

2. My darling parents are MINE! Please, face yours!✅ Not all parents are cognitively- impaired with lack of prioritization and self-gratification. If they had problems with each other, they did not involve us and thank God for that! 🙏🏽

I wish more women would leave the children with their responsible fathers LIKE MINE! Nigeria and the world would be a better place! kiss

But women can’t even trust their male partners or husbands with their own children FOR GOOOOOD REASONS TOO.

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Justbehave(m): 10:01am On Feb 06, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Don’t get personal.
To reply you;

Your father did not die before your mum because he was a single dad. Naturally,in marriage,men are always older than their wives. Coupled with the strenous jobs men engage in. So the proberbility of a man whether a single dad or not dying before his wife is very high. So my dear stop writing rubbish here.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 4:00pm On Feb 06, 2023
Justbehave:
Your father did not die before your mum because he was a single dad. Naturally,in marriage,men are always older than their wives. Coupled with the strenous jobs men engage in. So the proberbility of a man whether a single dad or not dying before his wife is very high. So my dear stop writing rubbish here.

I just got back from an extremely boring night shift. . . .and I am crabby with lack of sleep from indigestion due to the fufu and egusi/vegetable soup I had on my break last night. But I will try to be 'civil'. Thank God for children who have use my eyes to see 'shegey'! cheesy I have learned patience the HARD WAY! Don't push ya luck. wink

Here goes:

Let me educate you about the finest things in life. . . . this is real. Not all these yeye fake threads you have all over NL.
Yes he did die because he was a single dad and NEVER REMARRIED. kiss
How many men do YOU personally know around you that will not replace one woman with another or several after separating from their wives?
Only to turn their own children into 'househelps' because of their selfish egos and need for primitive and animalistic sexual gratification. . . ? undecided I was only 8 and my last brother was ONLY 3! How he wan do am? CAN YOU DO IT? grin

My dad did not do any streneous job. He retired at 39 because he could not handle the transfers from one corner of Nigeria to another thereby disrupting our academic and psycho-social stability. He did not want a normadic life for his family. He found a business he could deal with so he did not have to leave the house with his young children unattended and at the mercy of 'housemaids' and 'drivers'! We only had TWO CARE-GIVERS that stayed with is for over 20 years. MY FATHER NEVER. . . NEVER . . . NEVER left the house after 7PM kiss If we were going to parties. . . HE WOULD FOLLOW US! Even when playing on the same street with the neighborhood kids.. . . HE NEVER TOOK HIS EYES OFF US FOR ONE MINUTE. Everybody KNEW HIM and boy! They did not dare look in our directions to try any rubbish. . . .most of our friends could never find their fathers. cheesy Remember? My mom also live down the street in HER OWN HOUSE AT 28 years old! kiss

You are on my thread. . . please behave. I wil not be so kind with my next reply to you. I don't need ANY moderator to deal with you on my thread. You have been warned.

Bring it on. . . .

4 Likes

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Caaz: 4:06pm On Feb 06, 2023
Justbehave:
just some few chips in,the person you want to carry your jaguda traits to is not a pushover,even seun the owner of nairaland is very wary of her,I kid you not.

I m surprised she's still calm replying your mentions.Do not say I didn't caution you.its just some friendly advise from a concerned oldie nairalander.

1 Like

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 4:13pm On Feb 06, 2023
Caaz:

just some few chips in,the person you want to carry your jaguda traits to is not a pushover,even seun the owner of nairaland is very wary of her,I kid you not.

I m surprised she's still calm replying your mentions.Do not say I didn't caution you.its just some friendly advise from a concerned oldie nairalander.

Leave am. . . . I go soon “sand”-ahn (In my strong BINI accent).
Notice how they will change NL IDs to attack you like the proverbial NL 'cowards' without balls. Mtchew.
You know ALL women that were raised by single dads ACT LIKE MEN. grin
People get extremely fooled by my looks until I open my mouth. Even my bosses avoid me like 'COVID-19'. cheesy
That Seun of a man don leave me alone fot dis NL ke! We don sabi awa sefs weh-weh!

I dey laff!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Caaz: 4:23pm On Feb 06, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Leave am. . . . I go soon “ sand” ahn (In my strong BINI accent)😁 That Seun of a man don leave me alone ke! We don sabi awa sefs weh-weh!

I dey laff!
Even with my cray skoin skoin,you re one female nairalander I dey avoid like fire,and that's not a compliment,it's the actual truth.

I just dey pity the man in advance,e never know say your fights be like vietnamese people own,dem nor dey Eva defeat them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 4:26pm On Feb 06, 2023
Caaz:

Even with my cray skoin skoin,you re one female nairalander I dey avoid like fire,and that's not a compliment,it's the actual truth.

I just dey pity the man in advance,e never know say your fights be like vietnamese people own,dem nor dey Eva defeat them.

Not really.
I nor dey find trobu. . . .but may God hellep ya if you try ya luck.
I was raised with superb home-traianing from an interesting 'IGBO' mommy. . . . grin, an extremely-loving IJEBU grand-mother kiss and an EDO-STATE disciplinarian of a father cool .. . . I learned from the best. wink

I have perfected the science and art of dealing with riff-raffs on and offline. Including the ones I have at home. kiss

. . . .When I have the time of course. . . .like now.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by KanwuliaExtra: 4:47pm On Feb 06, 2023
eDarlling:
Do you have sense at all?

Then keep your family life away from this forum.

Look at this NL “MUNGO PHACK”! grin
What exactly is your problem?
Abi did your baby-momma leave you with your “AGBADO - URCHINS”? Or you can’t find a wife on NL?
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Justbehave(m): 4:50pm On Feb 06, 2023
Caaz:

Thanks
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by pocohantas(f): 5:02pm On Feb 06, 2023
Caaz:

Na Indomie generation Nlder. I am just looking at him from here. He would soon know the people that ran NL before he could afford data.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by GloriousGbola: 5:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Abi did your baby-momma leave you with your “AGBADO - URCHINS”? Or you can’t find a wife on NL?

Militia in the hawse!
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Caaz: 6:53pm On Feb 06, 2023
pocohantas:

Na Indomie generation Nlder. I am just looking at him from here. He would soon know the people that ran NL before he could afford data.
Poco bebe,they yaff ban my main acct cheesy.make the guy dey play
E never know who he dey deal with.

Seun himself don hands off from calitto case,naim this guy wan try fire.

E be like e nor know who mgbeketowtow be.
Person wey great Siena n tipia dey run hide from cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Caaz: 6:57pm On Feb 06, 2023
Them think say nairaland na play,as I dey craze reach online e get people wey I dey fear for this forum.

Of a truth,the great miltia baby yaff really calmed down.
Mu checheche har...gonistic god muchecheche.

Chai nairaland of old.
It's takes mind to still remain sane on this forum.

Kudoz to the old Trojans cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by pocohantas(f): 7:02pm On Feb 06, 2023
Caaz:

Poco bebe,they yaff ban my main acct cheesy.make the guy dey play
E never know who he dey deal with.

Seun himself don hands off from calitto case,naim this guy wan try fire.

E be like e nor know who mgbeketowtow be.
Person wey great Siena n tipia dey run hide from cheesy cheesy cheesy

I knew it was going that direction.

Anyway, he can choose to reply her. I’ll be here to see the level to his redpill. cheesy
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by juman(m): 7:13pm On Feb 06, 2023
KanwuliaExtra you are still alive.
A crazy dude that full of jokes.

The thread topic is good.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by reddingtonblack: 7:34pm On Feb 06, 2023
Caaz:

what kind of lame talk is this, sevn dey run for who, as per say naa her papa borrow him money to setup NL or what.
Asides crying to the mod whenever she get spanked, whatelse ? abi no be same Pocohontas.

Next time you want to run a commercial for her, do it in the advert space undecided

1 Like

Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Caaz: 8:10pm On Feb 06, 2023
reddingtonblack:

what kind of lame talk is this, sevn dey run for who, as per say naa her papa borrow him money to setup NL or what.
Asides crying to the mod whenever she get spanked, whatelse ? abi no be same Pocohontas.

Next time you want to run a commercial for her, do it in the advert space undecided
Go play with sand,make sure you come up with some sand castle.

Who let this one out again?
Mstcheeeeeew.
Re: Being A Single Dad Can Shorten Your Life. . . .Longevity Series by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Shut up. My wife will be more sane than you.

(1) (Reply)

Is This True About Men? Do You Agree? / Telling Your Wife Or Women In General, Your Exact Salary Is Risky. / Will P-square Win 2morrow?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.