Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears (7699 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by olason(m): 7:49am On Sep 07, 2011
Dstv Shut Over Non Payment Of Tax

What a shame with all d money dstv makes they cannot pay there tax, but they have the money to start running after dxxgle sellers. 

The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS), yesterday, shut down the Lagos office of Multichoice Nigeria, operators of the cable TV network, DSTV, for tax offences.
Investigations revealed that the cable TV firm owed the state about N130 million in unpaid taxes.
Customers who went to the company’s Head office at Tiamiyu Savage, Victoria Island, yesterday, were swiftly turned back by the tax officials from LIRS who stationed themselves at the Multichoice premises.
Reports from the office of the Special Assistant to the Governor on Taxation, Mr Bola Shodipo have however confirmed that Multichoice is already negotiating the terms for settling the tax arrears, and that the office would be reopened by the LIRS once the conditions are met.
http://nigerianmailonline.com/dstv-office-sealed-over-n130m-tax-arrears
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by Lov4sat(m): 9:10am On Sep 07, 2011
Ewhooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Donglers don finish DST? oooooooo Cline you don see am them no fit pay tax again I no even sure say dem go fit pay workers self as e don be now grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by Honeycity(f): 11:42am On Sep 07, 2011
case of hunter now been hunted grin
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by dagboss(m): 11:43am On Sep 07, 2011
Serves them right. Upon all the huge money they make from Nigerians they cannot pay their taxe. Can they try that in their home country? Stupid shylocks. Anyway I don not blame them OBJ and Nweke Junior created a big opportunity for Hitv to compete with them, but i heard the owner was busy building a mansion in Ajah or Lekki to the extent that he has now lost everything even Champions league. We want foreign investors but not these South Africans remember they own MTN with their high tarrif. They do things they cannot do in their country to Nigerians
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by chidyke77(m): 11:46am On Sep 07, 2011
The dongle wasn't their problem,they are just greedy in nature. If d cn bring their premium package to 2k a month, i bet u d wl make more money because a lot of people wl join them and d dongle issue wl b over.
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by blank(f): 11:53am On Sep 07, 2011
Hope they will not increase their tariff?
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by atasteve: 11:56am On Sep 07, 2011
This is serious o shocked Let's assume that it is not true for now.
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by OAM(m): 11:57am On Sep 07, 2011
multichoice is one hell of a company, so u mean they cant ordinary tax? but they can spend millions of Niara on Big Brother dinner nyte abi? may bokoram never visit them
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by atasteve: 11:57am On Sep 07, 2011
blank:

If NCC will arise to their duty; DSTV will not be able to do increase their tariff. The tariff is already too much!
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by chidyke77(m): 11:58am On Sep 07, 2011
blank:

who cares,the are d one to loose afterward.
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by lynxnoon(m): 12:10pm On Sep 07, 2011
those bloody thieves!!!
irs should chase them to the ends of the earth angry grin
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by Kx: 12:13pm On Sep 07, 2011
chidyke77:

who cares,the are d one to loose afterward.
dont think so, with no competition, what are d available alternatives?
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by fredoooooo: 12:17pm On Sep 07, 2011
Kx:

dont think so, with no competition, what are d available alternatives?

N.T.A grin cheesy grin
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by OMABYK: 12:25pm On Sep 07, 2011
Please could there be alternative to this SA capitalist DSTV? Their tariff is too high.
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by http(m): 12:46pm On Sep 07, 2011
blank:

I guess you are not talking to me grin cos as for me and my familly, we are using their decoder for window dressing, enough text and mail for me to come renew my subcription, over 8 months now grin grin grin i just told them when they reduce their tarrif, i will be back, for now they can be bokoed haramed, i give no poo.

Bunch of thieves, na jail and forfeiture dem for suffer if na America dem try that, tax evader. angry
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by vabrida: 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2011
oLeE rIpPeRs, MaKe YoU nA hOlD thEm WeLl cry grinundecided undecided undecided
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by leke999(m): 1:12pm On Sep 07, 2011
, and they will not give u one day once ur subscription ends, thief, that serves them right,
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by ultrasat(m): 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2011
Dstv are Dsthieves
Nothing but Thieves!
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by scopusng(m): 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2011
I dey laugh in my native language. Der own don finish.
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by dagboss(m): 2:06pm On Sep 07, 2011
Infact Fashola should closed it down patapata, so that Hitv, DAARSAT, Mytv, etc etc can thrive grin grin grin grin grin
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by dagboss(m): 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2011
Infact Governor Fashola should close the damnned place up patapata and finally so that Hitv, DAAsat, Mytv Trinity Startimes and even good old school FTA can thrive grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by haboosa(m): 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2011
The problem of multichoice is that , they dont have a good tax accountant , from the information reaching me and what i know of the LIRS , they use to use BOJ if you fail to file your tax on time and they will probe to the fullest even if you appeal it you must have a good tax accountant or ready to pay those hungry  & lazy LIRS officials some PR(bribe) so that they will reduce your tax liabilities. my advice to DSTV is as follows:
1. they should employ the services of the big 4 (KPMG,PWC,Delloite,Ernst&Young)as their auditor & tax consultant so that those things will not repeat itself.
2. they will need to be filing up their returns as soon as possible .
i think this 2 is ok for now. wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by pynkspyce: 2:31pm On Sep 07, 2011
HITV where r u? didnt Fashola invest in HiTV?
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by thuao(m): 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2011
This is just the beginning. Imagine dem dey arrest D****e sellers , while dem be thief we dey dodge tax.
DSThives make dem close dem for a month or more.
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by naijatoday: 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2011
haboosa:

The problem of multichoice is that , they dont have a good tax accountant , from the information reaching me and what i know of the LIRS , they use to use BOJ if you fail to file your tax on time and they will probe to the fullest even if you appeal it you must have a good tax accountant or ready to pay those hungry  & lazy LIRS officials some PR(bribe) so that they will reduce your tax liabilities. my advice to DSTV is as follows:
1. they should employ the services of the big 4 (KPMG,PWC,Delloite,Ernst&Young)as their auditor & tax consultant so that those things will not repeat itself.
2. they will need to be filing up their returns as soon as possible .
i think this 2 is ok for now. wink wink wink wink wink wink

What is BOJ
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by haboosa(m): 3:48pm On Sep 07, 2011
naijatoday:

What is BOJ
Sorry bro i thought i was talking in an accounting forum, what we refer to as BOJ is best of judgment, this applies to self assess tax payer if an individual (it could be a company or organization) fails to file the end of year tax on time as provide in the CAMA (company and allied matters Act of 1990)as ammended in the LFN(law of federation of Nigeria)2004, the Revenue will slam a BOJ at such individual based on the what the revenue feel like or going via what the individual has paid in the past or based on the turnover of similar companies. I think i have tried my best to elucidate the abbreviation BOJ? wink wink wink wink
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by olupahpah(m): 3:56pm On Sep 07, 2011
@haboosa,

A BOJ is a best of judgment, this is an assessment raised when a company fails to allow the constituted revenue authority to access it's books for the mandatory tax audit. This is allowed by Law.

FYI, the LIRS does not collect taxes based on turnover of a company, The LIRS collects taxes based on salaries paid staff, PAYE;according to PITA and not CAMA.

Lastly you need to get to their office, no hungry and lazy people there,,,, ud almost think u are in a banking hall,
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by haboosa(m): 4:27pm On Sep 07, 2011
@ olupahpah, you can read through my statements a BOJ can be raised on on a company going via the turnover of a SIMILAR company what we tax as a tax practitioner is the assessable profits which rolls in year in year out to form what we call turn over what we use to apply tax on company is CITA not PITA and when u want to attack a professional u have to take your tax guide beside you before quoting rubbish here CITA of 1990 but was ammended in LFN 2004 was what we use to assess company to tax that was what i mean not CAMA(slip of hand grin grin grin) in my earlier explanation , PAYE is paid by employee to the IRS through his or her employer as recommended in PITA and that is not the only tax a company must pay as there are diff tax that a company will pay at their year end including Education tax which is 2 percent of the company's profit before tax , company gain tax, petroleum product tax ( for oil company in the downstream) e.t.c all these are provided in the CITA as ammended in the LFN2004. for your info u may not be in practice but when u ask people in practice we know how things they go, even the people on TARMA when they come for Tax Audit in your company they will still ask for little cut so that they can reduce your tax liabilities talk less of those LIRS staffs( i mean all what am saying). so watch what u will say here  wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by Kx: 4:32pm On Sep 07, 2011
Has the subject changed to : BOJ- A Case study of DSTV??
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by haboosa(m): 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2011
Kx:

, @ Kx what i think might have caused that large sum of tax liability on DSTV was BOJ cos i think they fail to file their tax on time or maybe they are trying to evade tax that was why their liability is so enormous. undecided smiley smiley.thanks
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by iphyisis(f): 4:55pm On Sep 07, 2011
no wonder m watchn certn statns 4free? cool cool cool cool cool cool cool wink
Re: DSTV Office Sealed Over N130m Tax Arrears by REDshouse(m): 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2011
Kx:

abeg help me ask those akowe ka wura , wetin concern agbero with overload.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Browse For Free Using Daarsat, Dstv, Mytv, Hitv Decoder. Full Tutorial / a / I Need An Installer Around Ogba-ikeja, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.