Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... (7562 Views)

How Much Does Startimes Cost / Startimes Slashes Bouquet Prices / Price Of A New Startimes Decoder And Installation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 6:35pm On Apr 17, 2015
People are fed up with DSTV, their rates are high. People are also fed up with Sky in Europe, their entertainment and sports packages are expensive.

Someone said earlier that cable TV is a luxury and people insulted him. Nigerians want luxury but it doesn't come cheap. If you can't afford it, don't subscribe. It's no coincidence that no other cable TV service has not been able to serve premium sports (all sports) like DSTV at cheaper rates.

DSTV is still the biggest developer of Nigerian content in the world from Nigerian music to movies and the the Nigerian basketball and football leagues. Supersport forced the NPFL to raise standards like ensuring all stadia were television friendly. They poured $32 million (almost N7 billion) into a league people don't even watch because they want to grow it to a level that will be profitable just like the music and movies have been.

Now to StarTimes. Many people erroneously think it's a Nigerian company. StarTimes is a CHINESE company with operations in many sub-Saharan African countries like Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and soon will be in Ghana.
They partnered with NTA just like they have done with some other state broadcasters in Africa since everybody is migrating from analogue broadcasting to digital. This partnership makes the migration easier for those national broadcasters. We need to know and remember this always.

StarTimes serve cheap content and so can afford to have very low subscription fees. They don't have original Nigerian programmes like what we see on Africa Magic (Africa's most popular channel group), they haven't poured money into Nigerian sports and music. They also use the relatively cheaper DVB-T and now DVB-T2 technology as compared to DSTV's digital satellite technology.

DSTV will live on but let's just imagine they die off. StarTimes then achieves a monopoly (if we assume MultiChoice's GoTV also dies with DSTV), do we sincerely believe they'll develop original content as good as DSTV's and still charge peanuts? Definitely not!

Do we think DSTV disregards Nigerians? StarTimes can be worse. They are already flouting government directives in some other African countries. They kept importing DVB-T receivers into a certain African country even though all the digital terrestrial services had been directed to import DVB-T2 receivers. They haven't even gained a proper foothold in Ghana and some people are already alleging their contract with the government is fraudulent.

I'm neither linked to DSTV nor StarTimes. I don't even have anyone, I use FTA. I just see that many people are so misinformed and we deserve to know better.

Lalasticlala , Ishilove , Afam4eva

2 Likes

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by imbless: 6:39pm On Apr 17, 2015
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by victor2008(m): 6:42pm On Apr 17, 2015
Dont fool people startimes is manage by NTA, federal govt bro
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 6:54pm On Apr 17, 2015
victor2008:
Dont fool people startimes is manage by NTA, federal govt bro
Same as in other African countries. It's still a Chinese company.

See their parent company's website:
http://en.startimes.com.cn/
Check it out yourself.

STARTIMES SEES HUGE GROWTH IN AFRICA - China.org
http://china.org.cn/business/2014-06/20/content_32723064.htm

PUTTING UP A STAR PERFORMANCE IN AFRICA - ChinaDailyAsia
http://www.chinadailyasia.com/business/2014-07/28/content_15152494.html

StarTimes' Subscribers in Africa Top 2.5 million - ChinaDaily
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-06/05/content_16569593.htm
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 6:54pm On Apr 17, 2015
imbless:
Guy you harsh o.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by iliyande(m): 7:05pm On Apr 17, 2015
Tv subscription is only for those who don't have anything to do with money. Free to Air viva. I dumbed my dstv, startimes and gotv etc.

The op really don't know what he is saying. Forget him please.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 7:11pm On Apr 17, 2015
iliyande:
Tv subscription is only for those who don't have anything to do with money. Free to Air viva. I dumbed my dstv, startimes and gotv etc.

I don't think you read the post.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by uboma(m): 7:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
Its obvious that the op is a staff of DSTV, hence the hate he feels for Startimes. Nigeria is an open market and Startimes has as much airing rights as Multichoice. Personally I'll choose Chinese products/services to those of South Africans, especially now that they have turned their backs on fellow Blacks residing in their country.

Startimes, given time and an enabling environment will do far better than Multichoice.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 7:30pm On Apr 17, 2015
uboma:
Its obvious that the op is a staff of DSTV, hence the hate he feels for Startimes. Nigeria is an open market and Startimes has as much airing rights as Multichoice. Personally I'll choose Chinese products/services to those of South Africans, especially now that they have turned their backs on fellow Blacks residing in their country.

Startimes, given time and an enabling environment will do far better than Multichoice.
I'm not a staff of DSTV and won't even want to be. Too far from my field. I respect your opinion anyways. We all have our noses.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by victor2008(m): 7:34pm On Apr 17, 2015
Chartey:

I'm not a staff of DSTV and won't even want to be. Too far from my field. I respect your opinion anyways. We all have our noses.

Star times is still doing well to me considering the number of stations they have, abeg forget DSTV moreso they defiled court injunction and still increase their tariff, to hell with them

1 Like

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 17, 2015
I would be switching over to Startimes by the end of the month when my DSTV expires and I would make the comparison myself...

Chartey:
People are fed up with DSTV, their rates are high. People are also fed up with Sky in Europe, their entertainment and sports packages are expensive.

Someone said earlier that cable TV is a luxury and people insulted him. Nigerians want luxury but it doesn't come cheap. If you can't afford it, don't subscribe. It's no coincidence that no other cable TV service has not been able to serve premium sports (all sports) like DSTV at cheaper rates.

DSTV is still the biggest developer of Nigerian content in the world from Nigerian music to movies and the the Nigerian basketball and football leagues. Supersport forced the NPFL to raise standards like ensuring all stadia were television friendly. They poured $32 million (almost N7 billion) into a league people don't even watch because they want to grow it to a level that will be profitable just like the music and movies have been.

Now to StarTimes. Many people erroneously think it's a Nigerian company. StarTimes is a CHINESE company with operations in many sub-Saharan African countries like Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and soon will be in Ghana.
They partnered with NTA just like they have done with some other state broadcasters in Africa since everybody is migrating from analogue broadcasting to digital. This partnership makes the migration easier for those national broadcasters. We need to know and remember this always.

StarTimes serve cheap content and so can afford to have very low subscription fees. They don't have original Nigerian programmes like what we see on Africa Magic (Africa's most popular channel group), they haven't poured money into Nigerian sports and music. They also use the relatively cheaper DVB-T and now DVB-T2 technology as compared to DSTV's digital satellite technology.

DSTV will live on but let's just imagine they die off. StarTimes then achieves a monopoly (if we assume MultiChoice's GoTV also dies with DSTV), do we sincerely believe they'll develop original content as good as DSTV's and still charge peanuts? Definitely not!

Do we think DSTV disregards Nigerians? StarTimes can be worse. They are already flouting government directives in some other African countries. They kept importing DVB-T receivers into a certain African country even though all the digital terrestrial services had been directed to import DVB-T2 receivers. They haven't even gained a proper foothold in Ghana and some people are already alleging their contract with the government is fraudulent.

I'm neither linked to DSTV nor StarTimes. I don't even have anyone, I use FTA. I just see that many people are so misinformed and we deserve to know better.

Lalasticlala , Ishilove , Afam4eva

1 Like

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by uboma(m): 8:57pm On Apr 17, 2015
Chartey:

First, no one disputed the fact as to whether Startimes is a Chinese company or not. China has made life all over the world a bit simpler if you want to be fair. Take a closer look at the appliances you make use of either at home or in the office, you cant deny the fact the fact you have either used a Chinese product in the past or currently using one.

Startimes is doing well at the moment and will improve tomorrow. lets all learn to appreciate and encourage good work no matter how small it may seem at present.

I admire your ability to argue objectively and how you respect the opinion of others.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by victor2008(m): 9:07pm On Apr 17, 2015
Inside china and south africa which is better, blacks will always be black and white always be white
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 7:24am On Apr 18, 2015
victor2008:

Star times is still doing well to me considering the number of stations they have, abeg forget DSTV moreso they defiled court injunction and still increase their tariff, to hell with them
It's about quality of content. Quality content is expensive to get. Original content is even more expensive to produce, that's why StarTimes cannot do those. If with all the rants and discontent by Nigerians, StarTimes still hasn't been able to make people discard their DSTVs on a large scale, then you should wonder why.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 7:43am On Apr 18, 2015
uboma:

First, no one disputed the fact as to whether Startimes is a Chinese company or not. China has made life all over the world a bit simpler if you want to be fair. Take a closer look at the appliances you make use of either at home or in the office, you cant deny the fact the fact you have either used a Chinese product in the past or currently using one.

Startimes is doing well at the moment and will improve tomorrow. lets all learn to appreciate and encourage good work no matter how small it may seem at present.

I admire your ability to argue objectively and how you respect the opinion of others.

Please it's not about China. China is the country I love most outside Africa having made good money from dealing in Chinese goods.
Let's just focus on DSTV and it's competitors. I agree that StarTimes will improve and that will be good for the Nigerian subscriber but will they be able to give content as good as DSTV's and charge lower? I don't think. Will they be able to pour N7 billion into the Nigerian football league and charge lower? I don't think. Will they sponsor the Nigeria basketball league and Copa Lagos and charge lower? I don't think. Will they have a rich family of stations like the M-net group and charge lower? I think not. Will they pay Nigerian producers for showing their movies and charge lower? I think not. Music royalties to record labels and charge lower? I think not.
I remember when all we had to watch in this country were those Arab channels using those big dishes. They worked so hard to become the market leader. HiTv came and couldn't compete. StarTimes will never be able to match the monies being remitted to content producers by DSTV with these subscription rates and good content producers will always take their work to DSTV.
Please let's be rational and not emotional.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 7:45am On Apr 18, 2015
victor2008:
Inside china and south africa which is better, blacks will always be black and white always be white
I hear you.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by mrdrizzy(m): 8:05am On Apr 19, 2015
Startimes and nta are partners just like facebook owner is to whatsapp's

we understand d fact that dstv have got premium channels bt d rate is humongous and it still increases

it baffles me how people keep using d money dey paid for epl as an excuse

dstv bought epl right to support its reign in western and southern countries(that is filled with over 20countries if my geography is correct),just like beiN powers nothern and partly east,dat is how epl segment its payment,alotta people fails to understand dis,jusst becos nigeria has d highest rate of dstv users in west and southern part of africa doesnt mean dey hve to pay for what other countries still watch at a lower rate.dis is insane!!

Now anoda excuse dey use is exchange rate,the naira is gradually growing(not reducing check last 2mnths and now), and hopefully it will come to a time where it will be back to normal,bt oga dstv rate will always remain the same,it never depreciate.

For me as a student,cnt afford to pay such huge price just becos i want to watch ball,which is why i've been with startimes for 3yrs+,atleast i get to watch 1 bundesliga match,uefa and europa champions league and other national competition free of charge(even without paying a dime nta sport shows),of which multichoice cant even offer on gotv,dstv family pack,hell even the compact that is above 4k now.

Also did i mention startimes recently purchased rights to broadcast the fastest growing league in the world(GERMAN BUNDESLIGA),all matches from next season,dey stole d rights from d so called dstv,and we will still get to watch total action for less dan 3,800

its time we know what value of money is..

Support your own brand and not others.
GOODLUCK!!!!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 11:04am On Apr 19, 2015
mrdrizzy:
Startimes and nta are partners just like facebook owner is to whatsapp's

we understand d fact that dstv have got premium channels bt d rate is humongous and it still increases

it baffles me how people keep using d money dey paid for epl as an excuse

dstv bought epl right to support its reign in western and southern countries(that is filled with over 20countries if my geography is correct),just like beiN powers nothern and partly east,dat is how epl segment its payment,alotta people fails to understand dis,jusst becos nigeria has d highest rate of dstv users in west and southern part of africa doesnt mean dey hve to pay for what other countries still watch at a lower rate.dis is insane!!

Now anoda excuse dey use is exchange rate,the naira is gradually growing(not reducing check last 2mnths and now), and hopefully it will come to a time where it will be back to normal,bt oga dstv rate will always remain the same,it never depreciate.

For me as a student,cnt afford to pay such huge price just becos i want to watch ball,which is why i've been with startimes for 3yrs+,atleast i get to watch 1 bundesliga match,uefa and europa champions league and other national competition free of charge(even without paying a dime nta sport shows),of which multichoice cant even offer on gotv,dstv family pack,hell even the compact that is above 4k now.

Also did i mention startimes recently purchased rights to broadcast the fastest growing league in the world(GERMAN BUNDESLIGA),all matches from next season,dey stole d rights from d so called dstv,and we will still get to watch total action for less dan 3,800

its time we know what value of money is..

Support your own brand and not others.
GOODLUCK!!!!
How is it our brand when it is all over Africa as StarTimes from China? It is not and not even close to being a Nigerian company. DSTV is a more Nigerian company with more Nigerian senior staff, junior staff, and input.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by geniusbami(m): 5:47pm On Apr 25, 2015
iliyande:

I'm interested in ur post please. What FTA cable TV do U recommend that has a good blend of Christian programmes, local & foreign movies and football?
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by iliyande(m): 6:29pm On Apr 25, 2015
geniusbami:
I'm interested in ur post please. What FTA cable TV do U recommend that has a good blend of Christian programmes, local & foreign movies and football?

I am using several satellites connected to one decorder. I hardly miss live football match. For Christian program, I know only of former mytv position. I am not an installer but I have a guy here on nairaland that did that me. Tnx
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by geniusbami(m): 7:05pm On Apr 25, 2015
iliyande:

I am using several satellites connected to one decorder. I hardly miss live football match. For Christian program, I know only of former mytv position. I am not an installer but I have a guy here on nairaland that did that me. Tnx
That sounds interesting to me. What's the decoder & how can I get it? Price information?

Thanks.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by iliyande(m): 9:33pm On Apr 25, 2015
geniusbami:
That sounds interesting to me. What's the decoder & how can I get it? Price information?

Thanks.
I'm using 4922a strong decorder
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 10:00pm On Sep 24, 2015
teeowl:
I would be switching over to Startimes by the end of the month when my DSTV expires and I would make the comparison myself...

Have you compared them now?
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by seyekan(m): 7:32am On Sep 25, 2015
Most of the comments here are naive or uninformed as to how a country economy grows we all agree dstv subscription price are outrageous to say the least but they help in a way to grow the entertainment industry giving them global exposure nd recognition they also employ more profesional Nigerians and actually pay them well startym is a Chinese company as you rightly pointed out and I would rather trust a fellow African than any white man most especially Chinese.... Don't have either nd don't plan to cos in the long run both are money down d drain
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by jimikata(m): 2:58pm On Sep 28, 2015
iliyande:

I am using several satellites connected to one decorder. I hardly miss live football match. I am not an installer but I have a guy here on nairaland that did that me. Tnx
please can you give me the guy contact? I want him to do the installation for me too, am based in Osogbo.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by iliyande(m): 2:59pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimikata:
please can you give me the guy contact? I want him to install me too, am based in Osogbo.

He based in abuja
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by jimikata(m): 3:05pm On Sep 28, 2015
iliyande:

He is based in abuja
too bad.
But can u give me his contact, maybe when he comes down here, he can just arrange the stuff for me.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by iliyande(m): 4:04pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimikata:
too bad.
But can u give me his contact, maybe when he comes down here, he can just arrange the stuff for me.

He is a nairalander
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by jimikata(m): 2:25pm On Sep 29, 2015
iliyande:

He is a nairalander
OK. What's is moniker? i will like to contact him.
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by iliyande(m): 2:43pm On Sep 29, 2015
jimikata:
OK. What's is moniker? i will like to contact him.
https://www.nairaland.com/dishtech
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by jimikata(m): 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2015
Re: Let Us Not Forget Startimes Is A Chinese Company... by Chartey(m): 1:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
And that's how they used fta talk to derail the thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Stream Live Champion's League Match? / Please Kindly Like My Artist Page On Facebook / Is TSTV Really Up To 4k Resolution?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.