Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,695 members, 7,823,954 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions (23220 Views)

CBN Directs Banks To Suspend Charges On Deposits Till September / CBN Bans Over-The-Counter Withdrawal Of New Notes / NIPOST Imposes New Charges On Courier Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Islie: 12:36pm On Jan 26, 2023
Launches Afrigo, to set deadline for existing card shemes

With the launch of the National Domestic Card scheme, Afrigo, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has said it will be coming up with a deadline for the existing card schemes in the country afterwhich they will no longer be eligible for domestic transactions.

Speaking at a virtual launch of the card scheme on Thursday, the Governor of the CBN, Godwin Emefiele, said: “all domestic transactions that are going to be conducted in Nigeria will have to be through the Nigerian domestic cards.”

Noting that the domestic card scheme avails the country “the sovereignty of our data” in addition to coming at a lower cost, Emefiele added that “at this time when foreign exchange challenges persist globally, it is important that we have this card to ensure that all card transactions, online transactions where you’re using cards will now effectively immediately begin to go on the Nigerian National Domestic system.

At some point in the next few weeks, I’m sure that the CBN will come up with the cut-off. We will no longer pay dollars for those cards, for the charges on those cards.”

https://leadership.ng/breaking-cbn-bans-dollar-charges-on-domestic-transactions/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by God1000(m): 12:37pm On Jan 26, 2023
Nice one from CBN, but the deadline for discarding the old currencies and getting new naira notes should be extended by one week

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by kokoA(m): 12:38pm On Jan 26, 2023
Let me not pretend to understand anything here..

123 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 26, 2023
Way to go!

Before we become Ghana

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by oteneaaron(m): 12:48pm On Jan 26, 2023
The advantages are enormous.

This will also lead to newer innovations in the fin-tech industry which will in turn lead to more tech jobs.

Interesting 🤔

2 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Psalmistproject: 1:06pm On Jan 26, 2023
Emefiele would have been a brilliant agent for our economic growth but with Buhari and his cabals that cares about nothing but retrogression the young man is just wallowing in confusion.

OBI is here.... Everything will be okay!

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Ceenachi: 2:14pm On Jan 26, 2023
So this guy knows all this good policy but why now?🤔🤔

42 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by PresidentAtiku(m): 2:14pm On Jan 26, 2023
Atiku will review all these...

Continue if it will help the masses

Discontinue if it will impoverish the masses

2 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by datola: 2:15pm On Jan 26, 2023
Why not also ban holding of more than $1,000, and other hard currencies for individuals (in hand or bank) illegal

3 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Cryomancer: 2:15pm On Jan 26, 2023
cool
Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by BigDawsNet: 2:15pm On Jan 26, 2023
I Pray all this law fix the Inflation and bring back $100=N150

12 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by southsouthking(m): 2:15pm On Jan 26, 2023
Emefiele wan kill that man before him time.
They'll come for my head as if i was referring to their candidate.
Mtchewwww.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by kelvyn7: 2:15pm On Jan 26, 2023
shocked
Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Iliveforever(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
E dey pain urchins say just Few weeks to the election emefiele come get sense all of a sudden!!

Tinubu must contest!!

That mouth wey him and him useless urchins dn make say him go win the election, I wan see the outcome!!

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by gaby(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
Emebobo is getting positively useful for once.

Bubu still dey use corner eye dey look the Emefiele himself.

When he's done completing this national assignment, Buhari go use another person press him belle to vomit everything wey him swallow inside too.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by ehissi(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
If only I know what emiefele is thinking......but in my opinion, the reason why most people want the CBN govenor to extend the deadline is the reason why he really shouldn't!

For the first time, the CBN govenor is in a position of power, February is supposed to be that time year when an unusual amount of money will be in circulation, dollar and Naira....

He is trying to boost the value of the naira by restricting the actual use of the naira and triggering a hyper demand......

Also if he is thinking, what I think he is thinking, use the excess old notes in the system as leverage especially in the rural areas to pull the unbanked into the banking system!!

So this I think will work, refuse to extend the deadline, allow the elections and the protest following invalidated currency to increase, then let people change the money on the grounds that it must be deposited in a bank account!!

Place restriction and charges accordingly on certain volumes of cash accordingly, that way people don't use it as a business, where one person is helping 20,000 change old notes.....

It can work

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by codeplace(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
Is not clear but will it affect JAPA people?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by cocoboss(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
Haha let the game begin 😂😂
Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Trilz(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
wink
Ok.

I do data entry related jobs.
Kindly check my signature for my contact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by princeryle1: 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
Ok
Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by dele1727: 2:17pm On Jan 26, 2023
Psalmistproject:
Emefiele would have been a brilliant agent for our economic growth but with Buhari and his cabals that cares about nothing but retrogression the young man is just wallowing in confusion.

OBI is here.... Everything will be okay!

grin grin grin

As usual.....its otheŕ peoples fault

4 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by yetmao: 2:17pm On Jan 26, 2023
I understand nothing

1 Like

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Enddy50ty(m): 2:17pm On Jan 26, 2023
You
Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by princeade86(m): 2:17pm On Jan 26, 2023
CBN mean business oooo

1 Like

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Cryomancer: 2:18pm On Jan 26, 2023
When are they going to ban dollar transactions on buying of delegates during party primaries.?

Laws are made for the poor in Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Dialpad: 2:18pm On Jan 26, 2023
I need clarification

2 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by boldsleek: 2:19pm On Jan 26, 2023
Does it mean that oil companies in Nigeria wont be importing crude oil with forex again?

1 Like

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by princeade86(m): 2:19pm On Jan 26, 2023
God1000:
Nice one from CBN, but the deadline for discarding the old currencies and getting new naira notes should be extended by one week
no because they gave us enough time to do that, but we always do I don't care attitude in this country until it get to die minutes, we will now be rushing.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by SmartyPants(m): 2:19pm On Jan 26, 2023
kokoA:
Let me not pretend to understand anything here..

Financial jargon can be hard to grasp but it's not rocket science. Read it over and over and google the bits you don't understand.

That's the method I use.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by Lanre4uonly(m): 2:19pm On Jan 26, 2023
It is well.
Re: CBN Bans Dollar Charges On Domestic Transactions by ekwelum2(m): 2:19pm On Jan 26, 2023
If it will reduce dollar rate against naira, then it's good if not then it's useless...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will A Large Supermarket Thrive In Nigeria? / CBN Considers Ending Dollar Cash Sales To BDCs / Dangote’s Bid To Merge Sugar, Salt, Rice Businesses Hits Brick Wall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.