Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria - Phone/Internet Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Phone/Internet Market / Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria (8722 Views)

Direct (london) Used Blackberry Handsets For Sale / Cheap Nokia Handsets Available (UK) / Htc’s Handsets To Become Playstation Certified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by adam44(m): 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2005
New business idea

Hello everybody, I have a mobile phone retail business in the UK.

I watched a TV programme this morning about the mobile phone demand in Nigeria. Companies in the UK are refurbishing old mobile phones and sending them to Nigeria to be sold to satisfy the huge demand. I thought it might be worth me looking in to setting up a new company not only exporting old, used handsets but also selling them through retail outlets of my own in Nigeria.

Does anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Also, do the current GSM network suppliers in Nigeria operate on a pay-as-you-go basis or are there monthly contracts like in the UK?

Any advice or opinions are most welcome.

1 Like

Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by kazey(m): 1:55pm On Jul 07, 2005
hum it is a good idea, if and only if you can market it well. Besides you have to bring in unique refurbished phones, especially those not in the Nigerian market.

Besides No prepaid cards in the UK? . Interesting. Well Most Nigerians use prepaids. The duration depends on the credit loaded.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by IAH(f): 1:58pm On Jul 07, 2005
There are prepaid cards in UK(Pay-as-you-go)...just that the monthly contract arrangements are more common.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by jogego(m): 2:40pm On Jul 07, 2005
not to mention often cheaper with upwards of 13 hours free call per month
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by adam44(m): 3:18pm On Jul 07, 2005
What type of phones are popular in Nigeria? I got the impression from the Tv programme that older tyoe refurbished handsets were very popular ar they were cheap eg Nokia 3310 etc
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by kazey(m): 3:40pm On Jul 07, 2005
To give you an idea of phones in Nigerian market. Check www.shopforless.com. They dont have much in stock, but it would give you some ideas.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by adam44(m): 3:45pm On Jul 07, 2005
Thanks kazey

excuse my ignorance but how much is 10,750 in £ sterling?

Also do you know if there are many retail outlets in nigerian towns/cities selling gsm phones? Do you think a new shop selling uk based unlocked phones would work?
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by IAH(f): 3:59pm On Jul 07, 2005
excuse my ignorance but how much is 10,750 in £ sterling?

That's approximately £46 according to http://www.xe.com/ucc/full.shtml
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by kazey(m): 4:13pm On Jul 07, 2005
hum, May i know what GSM Band Uk is using? if its not a triband phone, well it has to be a phone with a band compatible with the GSM 800 been used in Nigeria. About the Shops, maybe other Nigerian based nairalanders can help. I am not based in Nigeria, I just happen to have a company there.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by jogego(m): 4:17pm On Jul 07, 2005
Any unlocked phone that can work in the UK will work in NIgeria without any problems. There are myriad outlets for mobile phones in Nigeria. I do know several people take such refurbished phones to Nigeria to sell so yes, there is a market for it.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by oluwizard(m): 8:16pm On Jul 07, 2005
@ADAM44 and other members, it is a good idea, but you have to have a good partner here in Nigeria.

I am into GSM phone repair here in Abuja FCT Nigeria. The demand for used phones here and Lagos is high, but if you want to start please try and bring good and small phone not big phones.

Nokia 3310 and 5110 are moving fast in the market for all our phone call centers. But for personal use, try to get color screen and cheap camera phone in it.

It's a good business, my guy, if you can get any of our brothers here in Nigeria who is ready to market it for you very well. The demand is very high.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by adam44(m): 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2005
Any contacts would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at starting a business aimed at refurbishing both old and newer type mobiles eg from 3310 to 6610is and shipping them out for sale in Nigeria. It would be a charity based organisation selling to the right buyers/shops/marketers in Nigeria. There are a huge number of phones in the Uk that people have lieing around at home etc so the potential is big.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by kbstar(m): 3:54pm On Jul 09, 2005
It will be nice if you could give us ideas of what brand of fones you wish to bring down. The demand for cheap phones is high down here but mind you, quality is vital.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by addyfy: 9:50am On Jul 11, 2005
want to sell contact me, but proper documentations please.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by hoover: 11:10am On Apr 28, 2006
You can check sites like www.whogobuy.com and find out how the prices of cellphones.They have a lot of merchants on that site that sell in Nigeria.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by goodterry: 9:40am On Dec 19, 2007
hi adam44 , we are an exporter of mobilephones from China, if you are interested in mobile phones, you can contact us , thanks, my email is customerbusiness@yahoo.com, mobilephone is 0086+13951625821
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by marksmap: 6:46pm On Jun 03, 2008
We are selling for refurbished mobile phone of any brand and style.
Final prices could be negotiated according to your order quantity
and your ordered items. If you are interested in refurbished mobile
Please enquire for general price lists and contact me for more info,
This all prices FOB Hong Kong and handset only

Mark Wong
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by marksmap: 6:47pm On Jun 03, 2008
We are selling for refurbished mobile phone of any brand and style.
Final prices could be negotiated according to your order quantity
and your ordered items. If you are interested in refurbished mobile
Please enquire for general price lists and contact me for more info,
This all prices FOB Hong Kong and handset only

Mark Wong
mark@gsmtele.com
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by sairayoung: 9:05am On Jun 02, 2009
Hi!
I saw the forum demand.Why you use THE USED MOBILE PHONE.I will supply you new in same rate.Give me the list of your requirement and see our prise list in reply.

Thank waiting for reply.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by abdul4mama: 10:34pm On Aug 21, 2011
hey my man look do the right thing cos you have it but you dont know you do, you dont need any ones opinion start and i promiss to patronise you pls my brother.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by Raymond247(m): 10:41am On Sep 01, 2012
hi i saw ur thread concerning usedphones, i am aiming to open a shop just to sale uk used phones, but i dont have any idea on where to get them in wholesale price, pls if u have any idea, kindly call me on 08037357753i would b expectin ur call. Or mail me on raymondkaro@gmail.com.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by manmustwac(m): 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2012
Wanyed to export used phones to Nigeria myself but where to buy them from here in London is the problem.
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by EzegeNdiigbo: 2:05pm On Jan 30, 2021
Silhouetteh

Ogbeni get in here
Re: Selling Imported Used Handsets in Nigeria by EzegeNdiigbo: 7:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
silhouetteh:
Ogbeni you no dey online? Whatsapp 0 8 1 6 5 9 8 0 1 3 1 make we talk abeg

Cool down

I dey busy now

(1) (Reply)

How To Unlock New Zte Mtn Fastlink / Used White BB Torch1 @40k .....One (1) Left >>SOLD !! / Clubkonnect Failed To Credit My Wallet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.