Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,030 members, 7,849,158 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 03:30 PM

Why Starlink Deployment In Nigeria Is A Welcome Development - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Starlink Deployment In Nigeria Is A Welcome Development (209 Views)

Obaseki’s Reforms: Edo Ranks Second In Fibre Optics Infrastructure Deployment In / What Nigeria Is Losing For Killing Mountain Gorillas – Expert / Review Of 2017 LTE Deployment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Starlink Deployment In Nigeria Is A Welcome Development by ZeroOneTribe: 10:32am On Feb 02, 2023
The issue is not network speed, it's about coverage.
I live and work in a community just 12KM away from Port Harcourt. There is 24/7 power supply in this community, and they don't pay for light.
Cost of house rent is really affordable, perfect place to free lance. BUT

MTN, GLO and 9Mobile network here is 3G and you can't use it for anything serious.

If not for Airtel, even though this place is perfect, I won't be here. For ISP who claim to be mobile, they concentrate their best coverage in only the metropolis and leave out a whole lot of people. When they say internet penetration in Nigeria is mere 38%, it's because of this. They go for they money always.

There are Local governments, not just communities in Nigeria where you hardly get network. Though Airtel really tried in rural penetration, but you get mostly 3G network.

The last time I travelled from PH to Jos, there were areas without network for over 50KM, I mean, the Big 4 were absent.

This is why startlink is a game changer, so you can now make whatsapp calls in HD, skype or VoIP calls from even communities with the absense of the big 4.

Do you know there are places in Nigeria, students travel over 100 km to do basic exam registration or just check their result.
Starlink is mostly for areas like this, a whole community can be connected, you can open a business centre, setup internet telephone, lauch wireless transmission and connect the community to the internet without waiting for the big 4.
Re: Why Starlink Deployment In Nigeria Is A Welcome Development by Nawttiboi007(m): 10:55am On Feb 02, 2023
OP pls which part of port Harcourt is that?.
ZeroOneTribe:
The issue is not network speed, it's about coverage.
I live and work in a community just 12KM away from Port Harcourt. There is 24/7 power supply in this community, and they don't pay for light.
Cost of house rent is really affordable, perfect place to free lance. BUT

MTN, GLO and 9Mobile network here is 3G and you can't use it for anything serious.

If not for Airtel, even though this place is perfect, I won't be here. For ISP who claim to be mobile, they concentrate their best coverage in only the metropolis and leave out a whole lot of people. When they say internet penetration in Nigeria is mere 38%, it's because of this. They go for they money always.

There are Local governments, not just communities in Nigeria where you hardly get network. Though Airtel really tried in rural penetration, but you get mostly 3G network.

The last time I travelled from PH to Jos, there were areas without network for over 50KM, I mean, the Big 4 were absent.

This is why startlink is a game changer, so you can now make whatsapp calls in HD, skype or VoIP calls from even communities with the absense of the big 4.

Do you know there are places in Nigeria, students travel over 100 km to do basic exam registration or just check their result.
Starlink is mostly for areas like this, a whole community can be connected, you can open a business centre, setup internet telephone, lauch wireless transmission and connect the community to the internet without waiting for the big 4.
Re: Why Starlink Deployment In Nigeria Is A Welcome Development by ZeroOneTribe: 11:22am On Feb 02, 2023
Nawttiboi007:
OP pls which part of port Harcourt is that?.

Not Port Harcourt, Obeama at Oyigbo LGA

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Introduces Paid Verification Service After Twitter Blue Rollout / Need Some Help Here / Fabrication Of Fire Suppression System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.