Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,216 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

The Prankster Rooster - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Prankster Rooster (277 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Prankster Rooster by Bencroc7: 1:36pm On Feb 06, 2023
I once heard a rather funny story dating back to when only government buildings were the only establishments that had clocks.

It was said that most towns depended on town criers, who in turn kept roosters. Its widely believed that most men who are early risers wake as early as an adult rooster's first crow.

In those medieval times the importance of a rooster to time keeping was common knowledge. it isn't just a bird for good meat but also an excellent alarm clock.

From one end of the compound one could hear an adult rooster's sound cock-a-doodle-doo, cock-a-doodle-doo, cock-a-doodle-doo and the distinct sound could wake any sleeper .

At first crow, it means the break of day and when the chickens come to roost with the setting sun,night was near. In my grandma's days one bizzare day came that all the chickens came to roost around noon and shortly darkness followed, an eclipse had occurred. Indeed the chickens proved their use as both time keepers and planetary observers.

Every farmer's goal is to get enough work done before the sun sets with its blazing heat. 6 hours of hard work before noon is a great deal for an energetic farmer.This brings us to a story inspired by true events about a family during a farming season.

The family needed to get a lot of work done the next morning, so they all agreed to head to the farm before the first light. The plan was simple, immediately the cockerel crew.............
https://link.medium.com/QSCREXnjcxb
Re: The Prankster Rooster by Bencroc7: 4:37pm On Feb 06, 2023
Black cat: can others bring us good or badluck? Part 1[img][/img]

In my freshman year i met a charming young chap. he was friendly, softly spoken and calm.
We where wing mates in the public hostel. we often crossed paths and by second semester I figured out he was my coursemate. We went to classes together sometimes and frequently visited the cafeteria together . It wasn't difficult to figure out my new friend loved a good meal and man had a good appetite too.

Runoff to fourth year, we now had fully moved from public hostel lodging to private suits. Same guy was with me, he by then earned a nickname from our classmates, Mr Chaw. Mr Chaw was a name which seemed to suit him well.
"You get chaw" he would politely ask. Mr Chaw always got his way. Man loved good food and I was by that time a mini chef of some sort. I cooked like a decorated three star general, always ready to feed my battalion and Mr Chaw was my colonel in quality and test verification department.

It's common to run out of groceries, when the academic year is poorly planned but it seemed I had obtained the holy grail of foodstuffs, it never runned dry. My door never ceased to have people eating, reading or both . It was like a restaurant or some munching advertising with books scattered throughout.

It never occurred why or what forces where behind it or like Paulo coelhlo would say "the omen" . it took a lodge mate M.O Charles to point and interpret my urim and thummim. Charles played the role of prince of Salem perfectly as depicted in the Alchemist, he unravel the omen before my eyes that I blindly didn't see.

He pointed out the events surrounding Mr Chaw and how he had noticed that as long as Mr Chaw ate your food, you never run out of groceries. I always had lots of people around I pointed out. But he corrected me profusely with "It wasn't the number of mouths that ate there, but a particular one". I was wondering in amazement..........

https://link.medium.com/jCH93Uhwcxb

(1) (Reply)

Script Writer Needed For A 30 Pages Script / Obaseki Eulogizes Quintessential Journalist, Peter Enahoro, Extols / A Day In Limbo - A Novel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.