Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

All Africa Games 2011 Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / All Africa Games 2011 Website (1071 Views)

Free Advertise For Your Blog Website To All Africa / 25 Worst Passwords Of 2011 [study] / Will Facebook Be End On 5 November 2011? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Africa Games 2011 Website by yawatide(f): 12:05pm On Sep 09, 2011
What do you guys think?

http://www.allafricagamesmaputo.com/

I actually think it is pretty neat and well arranged. Yep, it's a joomla site but hey, that's the whole point, right? I mean, you do want an easy and efficient way to update it on the go.

The only negative I have against it is the google translate. It doesn't look professional at all. They could at least have taken advantage of internationalization. Oh well.

What do you all think?
Re: All Africa Games 2011 Website by remoranger(m): 12:37pm On Sep 09, 2011
yawa. abeg break the internationalization grammar small, i think i do understand small sha, but what do i know? smiley
Re: All Africa Games 2011 Website by yawatide(f): 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2011
remo-ku, tell me something wey u no fit do grin

So, I don't know about PHP but in JSP, you can set up your server to "sniff" the locale of your visitors, then based on your findings, you automatically provide content based on that locale (usually presented as en-US, en-UK, etc). Of course, you would have a properties file that has the translations for each of the words on your site, in those respective properties files.

Another approach, though more crude, is to have links on your page for the different languages (reference http://www.uefa.com/). When you make your selection, your page refreshes, and via name-value pair (NVP, like lang=fr"wink, again using a properties file (or a cruder approach would be to have include files for each language), the chosen language appears OR, like in the case of uefa.com, you are redirected to a subdomain for the chosen language.

The solution in the first paragraph is preferred, as you don't have to depend on the NVP (which the user can delete) to determine the language. Having said that, the solution in the 2nd paragraph is still preferred to using google translate.

I would want to believe (I stand corrected) that google has an enterprise version (that you have to pay for) that doesn't make it so obvious that you are using google translate. The way it is on that site, it smacks of lack of professionalism and tackiness. If it's about the money, that is where sponsors come in.
Re: All Africa Games 2011 Website by remoranger(m): 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2011
choi. i obviously got a lot to learn o. do u do stuff like this? i am currently consulting for a client and he wants to expand his services to brazil and possibly some funny countries like that. lol, and you know the P na. na portugese brazil dey yarn. u get link to that google enterprise edition? abeg IM me.
Re: All Africa Games 2011 Website by yawatide(f): 6:59pm On Sep 09, 2011
Area!!! smiley

So as stated earlier, I am not too sure on the enterprise edition. Based on googling, I found this page, maybe it will be useful. Check it out:
http://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/overview.html

If it does exist and cost is prohibitive, may I suggest option 2 where:

1) You have 2 versions of the same page, one in each language, preferably constructed via fckeditor or the like (ex. a.php and b_portuguese.php)
2) You have a link for both languages on your site, with the Portuguese link having a name value pair (lang=pr, for instance)
3) On each page, you sniff the NVP and depending on what the value is, include either the english or the portuguese version

Yep, it is a crude way of doing it, but you still get the job done. Also, there might be a more efficient way of doing it, in which case I expect other forumites to chime in.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Re: All Africa Games 2011 Website by remoranger(m): 4:05pm On Sep 11, 2011
thanks. would look into that

(1) (Reply)

Wordpress Design / Learn How To Design / Start A Blog and Make a Good money from it / Blog Designer Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.