Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) (1036 Views)

Narrate The Most Dangerous Thing You Did In Secondary School / FUOYE Student Shares Eye Witness Account on Clash, Absolves Erelu Fayemi / 10 Hottest States (in Terms Of Temperature) In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by NETCEO(m): 11:31am On Feb 08, 2023
Good day all.

So, today I came across a post on this forum and the regular numerous attacks against Peter Obi’s leadership in Anambra.

I have just few things to drop in and I feel it’s better to say some of them on my own created topic (thread).

I can’t say much either but I know too well that my brain is programmed to remember older things than recent stuffs. That’s just me and maybe you can call ur retentive brain/memory.

NOTE: this post is not about politics or elections. It’s just a short epistle of my experience growing up in Anambra and to be precise, in one of the major old city of the country; Onitsha.

Also note that information here may not be 100% correct but I’m saying each and everything as much as I can remember. I remember a lot though because I experienced everything first hand and my family never go a day without listening to 6 o’clock news (courtesy of my father 🥰)

I was in late primary school when Mr. Peter Obi was elected as the governor in 2006. He took over from Nigige kind of through court case which lasted for some years.

The sweetest days of my school days was before Dr. Chris Ngige entered. It was then Chinwoke Mbadinuju was the governor. During Mbadinuju tenure, Mehn, every week or month, there must be Industrial Strike and it was too fun for us then.

I grew up in a busy street though the whole of Onitsha is very busy and over populated. So, anytime we went to school, we will be hoping to hear another Strike so that we will all go home and play. It was very fun as we have series of play in different season those days. I can’t forget those days 😄😁😁

Fast forward to when Ngige won the election through Godfatherism of the then Uba Family in Anambra. I can’t tell much about his tenure but everyone knows his tenure gave rise to the kidnapping in Anambra state. School pupils are being kidnapped, etc.

The worst incident during Ngige tenure was that he was kidnapped. Thereby making him the first governor to be kidnapped in Office. The news was so bad that my dad asked us (mum & siblings) not to talk it out outside to avoid arrest 😳

He was then released after 3 days or so.

Everything was going fine then though schools engage in riots and protest one or more time every term then. It was a thing of the secondary school students. They’ll visit every primary school and ask us to go home whenever they’re protesting about high rate of education and other issues. They will break into any secondary school and forcefully make other students to join them in the protest.

Most times, they engage in destruction of shops and vehicles while protesting. Some students will likely sustained injuries or faint during the protest. I have senior brothers and our first son seldom engage in it.

Some notable schools around that are very stubborn and always ready for the strike in our environment are Metropolitan secondary schools, Washington memorial Grammar School, Our Ladies (awa-awa 😂), Nkpor boys, Ogboko schools etc.

PERER OBI IMPROVEMENT TO THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM

When he won the court case and was sworn in as the governor. Things return to normalcy. People were hoping to see his amendments.

THE ODD NEWS 😢
The odd news was that he added Doctor (Dr. to his name and later, they asked him to remove it from his name because he’s not a doctor or has no such degree). That’s the they gave us when they asked us to stop using Dr. Peter OBI as his name.

He built a block of halls to almost all schools around my area under the influence of U.B.E (Universal Basic Education) & A.S.U.B.E.B (Anambra State Universal Education Board). The paint was yellow and green. It looks good in all government primary schools then.

The ASUBEB also changed the roof of my school buildings (6 big buildings was inside the big compound, 3 for Nwora Umunna Memorial Primary School & 3 for Anyaegbunam Memorial Primary School). We share same gate but different headmaster and teachers and management.

The board also changed all our wooden windows to Iron/metal windows for security purposes. Same as our neighboring school.

Few months later, there was this massive Riot because the purpose of the previous strikes wasn’t attained yet. This time, it was almost fatal.

We were in school on that fateful Monday morning and I was in Primary 6 then. I was in Nwora Umunna Memorial Primary School and my teacher is by name; Mrs Ezeoke 🥰. We saw a huge crowd coming down the road (that’s looking over towards the main road across the fence. The crowd was very big. They’re matching down and one stubborn co-pupil of my school threw a stone on them cox they fell down the newly constructed fence that has not dried.

Omo, the leader of the crowd directed them to chase the boy. The boy (by name Emmanuel) who was older than most of all and very stubborn ran out and used the backyard fence of the school and escaped. The whole crowd started throwing stones on our windows.

Our teacher asked us to take cover under our desk. There was serious shouting all over our school. The leader of the crowd happened to be old student of my teacher 😇 and immediately he sighted my teacher (she went outside while locking us inside the secured class), he (the boy) commanded the crowd to stop throwing the stones on the windows and asked them to leave. They all matched out while destroying part of our fence.

The PTSD is still on me cox the banging sounds of the stones that day was too loud. We closed for the day immediately and the riot continued the whole Anambra.

Students marched to the government house and require for free education. It lasted for 3 days or so and a consensus was reached. The free education was given.

He made a free education for almost all classes by cutting down the fee to the lowest minimum.

The fee students pays is for school maintenance and it goes this way;
Nursery and primary is free but books are supplied by school authorities and the school pupils paid for it.

Junior secondary of government schools in Onitsha pay 350 naira per term

Senior secondary school pays 950 per term.

I benefited from it while in last two terms of my last class in primary school

My older bro and sister benefited from the secondary school own. My sister was paying 350 per term in Washington then.

I didn’t attend government sec school, I attended missionary school (St. Charles sec) and I was paying 4k+ per term then.

We didn’t suffer strike henceforth.

THINGS I WITNESSED IN JUNIOR SEC SCHOOL THOUGH IN MISSIONARY SCHOOL UNDER GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY

✅ He shared a modern school to all the 700+ secondary schools in Anambra. My school benefited but it’s meant for special occasions like carrying teachers, board of management or for kids going for quiz or inter school competitions. Not for coming and going home from school. It’s a 14 seater New Nissan Urvan Bus. Not lorry.

Some schools got the Toyota Hiace version. My school got the Nissan Urvan.

✅ He shared computer to all secondary schools. My school benefited. It was desktop computers. Though some schools never allow their students to see their own or maybe they sold it off. My own is in our computer room. We go there class by class but not always.

✅ he built ultra modern huge hostel building for my school when a fire gutted one of our old hostel in the compound.

✅ I could add more….

Peter made educational system the best in Anambra in his own time.

He also did well in -approving the promotion of the Igbo language cox every Wednesday in all school in Anambra state is IGBO DAY. That means you’re free to speak Igbo. No one will write your name for punishment for speaking vernacular.

Later on, I moved to Enugu after my junior secondary examination.

When I returned to Anambra later, I discovered that the IGBO DAY (Wednesday) has improved significantly to the extent that almost all school students wear a native cloth every Wednesday while going to school. It was a surprise to me and nice.

Mr. Peter Obi did so well.

Typing…

5 Likes

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by yarimo(m): 12:04pm On Feb 08, 2023
Obi defrauded small Anambra state as governor for 8 years
NETCEO:
Good day all.

So, today I came across a post on this forum and the regular numerous attacks against Peter Obi’s leadership in Anambra.

I have just few things to drop in and I feel it’s better to say some of them on my own created topic (thread).

I can’t say much either but I know too well that my brain is programmed to remember older things than recent stuffs. That’s just me and maybe you can call ur retentive brain/memory.

NOTE: this post is not about politics or elections. It’s just a short epistle of my experience growing up in Anambra and to be precise, in one of the major old city of the country; Onitsha.

Also note that information here may not be 100% correct but I’m saying each and everything as much as I can remember. I remember a lot though because I experienced everything first hand and my family never go a day without listening to 6 o’clock news (courtesy of my father 🥰)

I was in late primary school when Mr. Peter Obi was elected as the governor in 2006. He took over from Nigige kind of through court case which lasted for some years.

The sweetest days of my school days was before Dr. Chris Ngige entered. It was then Chinwoke Mbadinuju was the governor. During Mbadinuju tenure, Mehn, every week or month, there must be Industrial Strike and it was too fun for us then.

I grew up in a busy street though the whole of Onitsha is very busy and over populated. So, anytime we went to school, we will be hoping to hear another Strike so that we will all go home and play. It was very fun as we have series of play in different season those days. I can’t forget those days 😄😁😁

Fast forward to when Ngige won the election through Godfatherism of the then Uba Family in Anambra. I can’t tell much about his tenure but everyone knows his tenure gave rise to the kidnapping in Anambra state. School pupils are being kidnapped, etc.

The worst incident during Ngige tenure was that he was kidnapped. Thereby making him the first governor to be kidnapped in Office. The news was so bad that my dad asked us (mum & siblings) not to talk it out outside to avoid arrest 😳

He was then released after 3 days or so.

Everything was going fine then though schools engage in riots and protest one or more time every term then. It was a thing of the secondary school students. They’ll visit every primary school and ask us to go home whenever they’re protesting about high rate of education and other issues. They will break into any secondary school and forcefully make other students to join them in the protest.

Most times, they engage in destruction of shops and vehicles while protesting. Some students will likely sustained injuries or faint during the protest. I have senior brothers and our first son seldom engage in it.

Some notable schools around that are very stubborn and always ready for the strike in our environment are Metropolitan secondary schools, Washington memorial Grammar School, Our Ladies (awa-awa 😂), Nkpor boys, Ogboko schools etc.

PERER OBI IMPROVEMENT TO THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM

When he won the court case and was sworn in as the governor. Things return to normalcy. People were hoping to see his amendments.

He made a free education for almost all class by cutting down the fee to the lowest minimum.

The fee students pays is for school maintenance and it goes this way;
Nursery and primary is free but books are supplied by school authorities and we paid for it.

Junior secondary of government schools in Onitsha pay 350 naira per term

Senior secondary school pays 950 per term.

I benefited from it while in late primary school

My older bro and sister benefited from the secondary school own.

I didn’t attend government sec school, I attended missionary school (St. Charles) and I was paying 4k+ per term then.

We didn’t suffer strike apart from the time of Mbadinuju which gave rise to so many private schools cox every week or month, there must be strike (it was fun though at those time cox we’re little kids and we have large number of children in our area. So, any day we approach school and there was strike (industrial strike I mean), we will happily go home and play all day until next week Monday when we will come back and check.

You guys should stop spilling nonsense on this forum.

Peter made educational system the best in Anambra in his own time.

He also did well in promoting the Igbo language cox every Wednesday in all school in Anambra state is IGBO DAY. That means you’re free to speak Igbo. No one will write your name for punishment for speaking vernacular.

Later on, I moved to Enugu after my junior secondary examination.
When I returned to Anambra later, I discovered that the IGBO DAY (Wednesday) has improved significantly to the extent that almost all school students wear a native cloth every Wednesday while going to school. It was a surprise to me and nice.

Typing…

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by NETCEO(m): 12:34pm On Feb 08, 2023
yarimo:
Obi defrauded small Anambra state as governor for 8 years

NAIRALAND supposed to have a feature that allow one to block a user from quoting him. But I have less time for critics.

You have the chance to create your own topic and explain your ordeal with him. This is like a personal journal for me. I said it at the beginning of this.

#Peace

4 Likes

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by yarimo(m): 12:39pm On Feb 08, 2023
Kikikik IPOB terrorist una never see anything yet, it's operation fire for fire.
NETCEO:

NAIRALAND supposed to have a feature that allow one to block a user from quoting him. But I have less time for critics.

You have the chance to create your own topic and explain your ordeal with him. This is like a personal journal for me. I said it at the beginning of this.

#Peace

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by NETCEO(m): 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2023
yarimo:
Kikikik IPOB terrorist una never see anything yet, it's operation fire for fire.

Tagging someone something he never mentioned to be part of. Are you okay?

4 Likes

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by yarimo(m): 12:54pm On Feb 08, 2023
NETCEO:

Tagging someone something he never mentioned to be part of. Are you okay?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by NETCEO(m): 6:04pm On Feb 08, 2023
Live with it. Use ur wall to write ✍️
Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by Neduzze5(m): 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2023
Mods, quickly move this to the front page.

Seun and Team, this needs to be seen by all and sundry.

We need a government that listens and not those who have PTSD fear of Social media, or those that live in Dubai and visit Nigeria for election holidays.

1 Like

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by OgaTheTop2: 2:01am On Feb 09, 2023
Only urchins will not see the goods in Peter Obi..
Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by BossGerald: 2:27am On Feb 09, 2023
yarimo:

You dull no be small

Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by Wickedfacts: 5:38am On Feb 09, 2023
NETCEO:
Typing…

Imagine Tinubu as Governor instituted a Yoruba day where all students were to wear Yoruba clothes to school, you people would have been crying like barren witches.
The one Ambode did, we all saw how you were shamelessly rolling on the floor.

Meanwhile,
Tell us Obi's achievements in terms of Health
Tell us his achievements in terms of LG elections and autonomy
Tell us his achievements in terms of poverty alleviation
Tell us his achievements in terms of quality road infrastructure

Obi failed as Anambra Governor and people like owobokiri confirmed it with their posts still online.

So, shut tha feck up and be honest for once in your useless life.
Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by NETCEO(m): 1:05pm On Feb 09, 2023
Wickedfacts:

Imagine Tinubu as Governor instituted a Yoruba day where all students were to wear Yoruba clothes to school, you people would have been crying like barren witches.
The one Ambode did, we all saw how you were shamelessly rolling on the floor.

Meanwhile,
Tell us Obi's achievements in terms of Health
Tell us his achievements in terms of LG elections and autonomy
Tell us his achievements in terms of poverty alleviation
Tell us his achievements in terms of quality road infrastructure

Obi failed as Anambra Governor and people like owobokiri confirmed it with their posts still online.

So, shut tha feck up and be honest for once in your useless life.

Anambra is not no-mans-land like Lagos 🥵
Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by Rolyroly10: 2:02pm On Feb 09, 2023
This is the only way Nigeria can have the dreamed change and development when a new government comes they should face a particular sector and transform it to the best of their capabilities while not completely neglecting other areas but focus more on that sector when fully developed the predecessor can pick another sector of the country / state and work on it as the past government... This will be the only way Nigeria can be developed.
Re: What Mr. Peter Obi Did In Anambra In Terms Of Education (eye Witness) by NETCEO(m): 7:47pm On Feb 11, 2023
Rolyroly10:
This is the only way Nigeria can have the dreamed change and development when a new government comes they should face a particular sector and transform it to the best of their capabilities while not completely neglecting other areas but focus more on that sector when fully developed the predecessor can pick another sector of the country / state and work on it as the past government... This will be the only way Nigeria can be developed.

Yes. Also note that it’s best when doing it with the interest of the citizens in mind.

In Nigeria, they only develop and hand it over to the foreigners.

I don’t know the difference between citizen and non citizens in this country.

No extra benefits of being a citizen over foreigners till date.

When I see citizens being treated bad by fellow citizens, it’s so sad. But foreigners are treated like gods

(1) (Reply)

The Ultimate Riddle Challenge: Can You Beat The Clock / 6months Used 2008 Toyota Corolla ,le…ac Chilling 3.3m* / There Are Occultic Powers That Determine The Extent To Which People Must Agree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.