Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know (11780 Views)

Setting The Facts Right : Tecno Camon C8 Vs Iphone 6 Camera Test / Android Vs Windows Phone Vs Ios - Home Screen / Android Vs Symbian Phones, Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by White007(m): 10:13pm On Sep 09, 2011
You've no doubt heard the buzz around two of the biggest forces to be reckoned in the smartphone world, Android and the iPhone. And while it's true they're head-to-head competitors in many respects, the two mobile juggernauts might have more differences than similarities. Here, we'll break down what they have in common and where they differ so that you can sort it all out when choosing the right phone.

What's an operating system?

The core battle between Android and the iPhone is one between mobile operating systems. A mobile operating system (or "OS"wink runs on a phone and determines the organization of the entire experience you see on your screen, from the moment you press the power button. On a phone, the OS is your gateway to apps, the internet, email, and everything else. Both the Android OS and the iPhone OS were created to run on smartphones.

The iPhone: The one and only

When people say "iPhone" they might be referring to the actual phone or the OS the iPhone runs, called iOS. Unlike other smartphones, there's really just one flavor of iPhone. Apple's current iPhone is the 4th version to date and is referred to as the iPhone 4.

The term Android refers to both Google's mobile OS as well as any device running Android. This gets tricky too: some Verizon Android phones are branded as "Droids" but Android owners also occasionally refer to any Android device as a "Droid," regardless of carrier.

App wars

Apple has faced some criticism for its approach to the iPhone app store, as nothing can sneak its way into the store without first getting the green light from the company. In the past, this has sometimes resulted in Apple's stalling apps in the approval process or rejecting them altogether. Still, Apple boasts the biggest and arguably the best app store to date.

From the beginning of Android, Google emphasized the "openness" of its mobile OS, and the company does not implement any kind of app approval process, unlike its rival. App developers revel in Android's openness, because there are fewer barriers to getting their product into the hands of customers. Critics of Google's approach suggest that this system fails to filter out low-caliber apps, while Android evangelists believe that the laissez-faire approach will work itself out.

Either way, the app stores are quite comparable. The iPhone OS has been around for longer, so the iPhone's store naturally boasts many more apps than Android's relatively fewer offerings. But increasingly, new and popular apps are being developed in parallel for both platforms, and very few big hits remain exclusive to one store or the other.

Android advantages

While the iPhone is the true app pioneer, Android devices offer an additional kind of app experience that iPhone does not support, called "widgets." Think of widgets as mini-versions of apps, perfect for information you'd like to access frequently at a glance. Unlike an app, a widget can provide you useful updates like local weather, email previews, and Twitter feeds right on your home screen, so launching the app itself isn't necessary for quick updates. A widget is a one-click (or no-click) way to keep updated on the stuff you care about most, or to keep your most frequently used functions and features easily accessible.

Another unique advantage afforded by Android is its integration with Google. Gmail's ubiquity means that just about everyone can benefit from Android's superior native Gmail app. Beyond Gmail, Android's version of Google Maps offers some unique and extremely useful features like Google's Navigation, a GPS-driven, turn-by-turn directions app for the car that's a solid substitute for a stand-alone GPS system.

On the whole, Android is a more flexible OS. If there's something that bugs you about your phone or some setting you'd like to tweak, odds are an app on the Android market does just that — or even a simple setting on the phone itself may control what you need. Developers can even create apps that modify the look and feel of Android entirely.

Android drawbacks

A criticism frequently leveled at Android is the issue of "fragmentation." Android fragmentation refers to the existence of multiple versions of Android across many different phones. The current version of Android (nicknamed Froyo but more commonly referred to as Android 2.2) is the latest and greatest Android build, but many relatively new devices still run an older version of the OS.

Android device manufacturers usually offer their own interpretation of Android, meaning that a Motorola Android phone will look and function a little differently from a comparable Android phone made by HTC. These unique, manufacturer-specific takes on the Android OS are called "skins." While sometimes they are well regarded, like HTC's lauded skin Sense, it all boils down to matters of preference. Unfortunately, it's these skins that create the Android fragmentation problem, by making universal, across-the-board Android updates nearly impossible.

iPhone advantages

Apple remains firmly confident in its ability to craft the best possible experience for its customers, and as a result, the iPhone feels extremely polished. Renowned for its approach to design, Apple offers a sleek aesthetic and a cohesive, seamless experience on all of its devices, from the iPhone to laptop and desktop computers. This emphasis is very apparent on the iPhone, which is a breeze to use on top of being disarmingly attractive. It's no secret that the iPhone 4 is the best-looking phone on the market, and it's easy to see why.

The latest iPhone also debuted Apple's Retina display, making it the highest-resolution display on a phone to date. That means an extremely crisp display for web browsing, e-reading and multimedia. Another iPhone exclusive is Apple's FaceTime app, which facilitates seamless video chatting between iPhone 4 owners and Macs.

While these features are certainly perks, owning a phone that looks amazing and "just works" is likely the winning formula behind the iPhone's overwhelming success.

iPhone drawbacks

One prominent criticism of the iPhone revolves around Apple's refusal to support Flash, a web-based feature that some websites require to load. Also, until recently, the iPhone was unable to multitask, meaning that it was only possible to open one iPhone app at a time. The newest iPhone OS supports multitasking, but it still can't be used with all apps.

A very limiting aspect of the iPhone is its exclusive contract with AT&T. If you'd prefer to remain on a different mobile carrier or lack AT&T coverage in your area, you're out of luck. While a Verizon iPhone is in the works, AT&T and the iPhone go hand and hand for now. Beyond these criticisms, Apple's general attitude toward its products can prove a turn-off for some. The iPhone is less customizable because Apple purports to know exactly what will make your mobile experience the best it can be. Naturally, this paternalistic view on its customers can rub some would-be iPhone owners the wrong way, particularly when Google espouses the opposite attitude toward Android.

Which is right for me?

Ultimately, making the choice between Android and the iPhone comes down to personal taste. For those who value a high level of customization, an Android device is the way to go for an impressively flexible, though potentially less cohesive, experience. And for those seeking an undeniably smooth smartphone experience at the cost of flexibility, the iPhone will certainly not disappoint.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by Ossaifamous(m): 1:35am On Sep 13, 2011
love this analysis of yours , with the hype of android been lovin it , well would buy 1 but a mid range like galaxy mini would I be missing out frm not buying a bigger 1 like galaxy tab
And can apps store in memory card
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by Lexusgs430: 1:47am On Sep 13, 2011
Ossai famous:

love this analysis of yours , with the hype of android been lovin it , well would buy 1 but a mid range like galaxy mini would I be missing out frm not buying a bigger 1 like galaxy tab

Apps can be stored on memory cards, if your device runs froyo 2.2 or higher.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by Lexusgs430: 1:50am On Sep 13, 2011
Ossai famous:

If your preferred brand is samsung, I would recommend samsung galaxy ace, as a starter device.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by EuroMeko(m): 3:23am On Sep 13, 2011
Verizon now carries iPhone.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by buy1get2(m): 3:30am On Sep 13, 2011
best phone ever NOKIA 3310
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 6:08am On Sep 13, 2011
The latest version of thw android OS is gingerbread 2.3
2.4 (Cup-cake) is expected before the year runs out.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by itiswell1(m): 7:15am On Sep 13, 2011
baba-bosun:

The latest version of thw android OS is gingerbread 2.3
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by osadudu(f): 7:43am On Sep 13, 2011
nice post.am caught in d dilema myself coz i cn't afford an iphone so my competition is btw a nokia smartphone which runs on symbian os or any other android smartphone that does'nt cost much (35k-45k price range).am still wonderin y there's a bb craze considerin d features that come with other smart phones.
@poster-any gud phone u cld suggest dat fall within my price range?

1 Like

Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by marocguy(m): 8:08am On Sep 13, 2011
gingerbread and froyo androids,which is higher? I am also looking for som1 to advice me which to go 4 between ericson's xperia,samsung galaxy,motorola atrix,HTC desire s or z and HTC mytouch 4G. D HTCs remain my most favoured nw esp d desire z due to its keypad. I would appreciate advice and recommendation.thnxgingerbread and froyo androids,which is higher? I am also looking for som1 to advice me which to go 4 between ericson's xperia,samsung galaxy,motorola atrix,HTC desire s or z and HTC mytouch 4G. D HTCs remain my most favoured nw esp d desire z due to its keypad. I would appreciate advice and recommendation.thnx
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 13, 2011
The war is on for long now.Am a fan of apple iphone but the phone is always on the high side cosidering what they are offering.When i decide to get iphone 4 here in naija is sold for 125k.Even my cousin in the US said it's hot cake over there.that Samsung galaxy is really tackling the iphone 4.I finally went for Samsung galaxy s which is sold for 60k and it's close to iphone 4.Am loving it.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by shayman(m): 8:42am On Sep 13, 2011
osadudu:

nice post.am caught in d dilema myself coz i cn't afford an iphone so my competition is btw a nokia smartphone which runs on symbian os or any other android smartphone that does'nt cost much (35k-45k price range).am still wonderin y there's a bb craze considerin d features that come with other smart phones.
@poster-any gud phone u cld suggest dat fall within my price range?

Nokia C7 (touchscreen) = 49k, Nokia C5-03 (touchscreen) =27.5k Nokia E5 (qwerty) = 28k, Samsung galaxy ace (touchscreen) = 46k, Samsung galaxy pro = 38k (qwerty), Samsung galaxy mini (touchscreen) =31k, Samsung galaxy gio (touchscreen) = 37k,

The nokia phones run symbian and the samsung phones are android. I guess i have tried, overall best functions goes to nokia c7, you might google them up before deciding, ymbian and the samsung phones are android. I guess i have tried, overall best functions goes to nokia c7, you might google them up before deciding,
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 13, 2011
[color=#006600]The latest version of thw android OS is gingerbread 2.3

The LATEST version of android OS is honeycomb 3.0
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by ayodot(m): 8:50am On Sep 13, 2011
I'll go will the andriod OS over iOS because of its (1) flexibility (2) multitask capabilities (3) affordability campared with d same iphone hardware
@osadudu, I think the above should endear u to andriod.
Nokia(symbian) is even cheaper for the same hardware cost, it's just dat symbian will soon fizzle out of smartphone market. So the wont be any new updates and apps because of the new contract (nokia) with microsoft
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by Suntemi(m): 8:53am On Sep 13, 2011
White007:

It's no secret that the iPhone 4 is the best-looking phone on the market, and it's easy to see why.

This is the part I love.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by abudaby: 10:06am On Sep 13, 2011
No doubt iphone and droids are great OS,bt symbian has come a long way,and it has really serviced well for those who knows how to use them well.bt i guess it's time to go higher.i go for Google andriod.i like opensource.apps can be downloaded.works 4 me.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by instinct(m): 10:09am On Sep 13, 2011
While a Verizon iPhone is in the works Verizon started selling the iPhone4 since february 2011. Some of the details in this post are antiquated.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by moonraker(m): 10:17am On Sep 13, 2011
instinct:

While a Verizon iPhone is in the works Verizon started selling the iPhone4 since february 2011. Some of the details in this post are antiquated.

Thats becos its a copy and paste,
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by norrisman: 10:45am On Sep 13, 2011
femojie:

[color=#006600]The latest version of thw android OS is gingerbread 2.3

The LATEST version of android OS is honeycomb 3.0

Honeycomb is not a phone OS, It is for tablets. Gingerbread 2.3.4 is the lastest Android OS for phones.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by blacksta(m): 10:49am On Sep 13, 2011
And the most important factor - Android supports FLASH - iphone os what a joke
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by norrisman: 10:59am On Sep 13, 2011
@ Marcoguy

I have a Desire Z and it is a fantastic phone but there is are a few issues you need to beware of

1) Sleep of death: You put the phone to sleep and when you hit the power button to wake it up nothing happens. You have to pull the battery and reinsert for the phone to work again.

2) Disappearing gallery: Pictures will randomly disappear from you gallery and the only way to see them is to use a non-native app from the market, unmount your SD card and remount it or .

3) In my experience since I upgarded to Gingerbread 2.3.3 the phone is a tad bit slower. i think this is becuase the processor is only 800Mhz.

The phone also doesnt have a front facing camera and I personally miss that. The desire Z is my third HTC phone with a keboard (had HTC TyTN II and HTC Touch Pro 2) and my first phone with a capacitive screen. I think it will be my last phone with a keyboard because the capacitive screens are much better for on screen typing and with non native keyboards like swype, some people can type faster on the screen that with a keyboard.
A physical keyboard is still the fastest method of input for me but the difference between using the physical keyboard and the on screen keyboard for me has greatly reduced that I am not sure that added weight of a physical keyboard is justified.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by EEVICTOREE(m): 11:25am On Sep 13, 2011
Interesting!! smiley
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by kel2me(m): 11:52am On Sep 13, 2011
If You are looking for a great Android phone then you should think the Sony Ericsson 'Xperia Arc' or if U can can wait for the 'Xperia Arc S' both with the latest 2.3 android version, I use a symbian phone (E 72) but My next phone is the Xperia Arc S',

Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by snthesis(m): 11:56am On Sep 13, 2011
norrisman:

Honeycomb is not a phone OS, It is for tablets. Gingerbread 2.3.4 is the lastest Android OS for phones.
actually a new OS is out- Sugarcane 3.5.1
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by kazman7(m): 12:08pm On Sep 13, 2011
buy1get2:

best phone ever NOKIA 3310

You are the most unserious nairalander on planet earth
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by lynxnoon(m): 12:15pm On Sep 13, 2011
snthesis:

actually a new OS is out- Sugarcane 3.5.1
you mean Icecream Sandwich? wink
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by lynxnoon(m): 12:16pm On Sep 13, 2011
norrisman:

@ Marcoguy

I have a Desire Z and it is a fantastic phone but there is are a few issues you need to beware of

1) Sleep of death: You put the phone to sleep and when you hit the power button to wake it up nothing happens. You have to pull the battery and reinsert for the phone to work again.

2) Disappearing gallery: Pictures will randomly disappear from you gallery and the only way to see them is to use a non-native app from the market, unmount your SD card and remount it or .

3) In my experience since I upgarded to Gingerbread 2.3.3 the phone is a tad bit slower. i think this is becuase the processor is only 800Mhz.

The phone also doesnt have a front facing camera and I personally miss that. The desire Z is my third HTC phone with a keboard (had HTC TyTN II and HTC Touch Pro 2) and my first phone with a capacitive screen. I think it will be my last phone with a keyboard because the capacitive screens are much better for on screen typing and with non native keyboards like swype, some people can type faster on the screen that with a keyboard.
A physical keyboard is still the fastest method of input for me but the difference between using the physical keyboard and the on screen keyboard for me has greatly reduced that I am not sure that added weight of a physical keyboard is justified.
i have a close friend u uses desire z and he has not had any of the complaints u mentioned above undecided
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by rainforest(m): 12:22pm On Sep 13, 2011
kel2me:

If You are looking for a great Android phone then you should think the Sony Ericsson 'Xperia Arc' or if U can can wait for the 'Xperia Arc S' both with the latest 2.3 android version, I use a symbian phone (E 72) but My next phone is the Xperia Arc S',

the xperia arc is beauty with brains! Also i love the samsung galaxy S 2!
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by tommiblack: 12:22pm On Sep 13, 2011
has any of tot about the Samsung Google nexus one. it almost a replica  of the iphone  and it still runs on Android OS. my favourite

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=samsung+google+nexus+s+i9023&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbnid=HDb3imSiBvKI7M:&imgrefurl=http://gfrick.com/%3Fp%3D1198&docid=_NhwTSzSRTnkfM&w=520&h=444&ei=ljxvTtzXEc2q8AOUtpj8CQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=166&vpy=358&dur=1173&hovh=207&hovw=243&tx=117&ty=132&page=1&tbnh=115&tbnw=134&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

CHECK OUT IT'S FEATURES!!!!!!!!
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by ziccoit: 12:28pm On Sep 13, 2011
Some points in this articles are outdated. The world is moving forward. I give the first position to the high end android smartphone sa iphone too is an high end one.
You need to follow the tech news to be able to understand.
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by teemon: 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2011
There are just teo mobile phone on earth NOKIA and others cheesy grin
Re: Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know by minute(f): 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2011
I would take any android phone . . . .even the cheapest most stripped down model . . . over an iPhone.

The growth in the Android apps market has been incredible,over 100,000 items and increasing daily.

There is more freedom with an Android phone.You can root it,hack it, install modified versions on it

and you won't be violating any iPhone cult "rules".

I have never seen an Android phone that doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. Unlike the iPhone.

Even without rooting and modding,you can make a lot more customizations and personalizations on

Android phones.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unblacklist Your Blackberry / Softwares Only For S60v5 Mobiles / How Do I Stop Text Messages From 4040 (glo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.