Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,356 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians (25229 Views)

Importation Of Indomie Noodles Is Prohibited In Nigeria — NAFDAC Declares / Ned Nwoko Declares State Of Emergency On Malaria, Insists On Fumigating Nigeria / Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Omihanifa: 10:22am On Feb 10, 2023
The National Agency for Food Drug Administration and Control on Thursday declared a state of emergency on bleaching after establishing that Nigeria has been ranked first in cases of bleaching.

The Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, raised the alarm on the menace of bleaching creams in Nigeria, saying the problem has become a national emergency that calls for serious attention.

She made the remarks while flagging off a media sensitisation workshop on Dangers of Bleaching Creams and Regulatory Control organised by the Association of Nigerian Health Journalists in Kano on Thursday.

She said that 77 per cent of those engaged in bleaching in Nigeria are women, saying this calls for a multifaceted approach in fighting the menace of bleaching creams, which she warned have fatal health hazards.

“The World Health Organisation study in 2018 revealed that the use of skin bleaching cream is prevalent amongst 77 per cent of Nigerian women, which is the highest in Africa compared to 59 per cent in Togo, 35 per cent in South Africa and 27 per cent in Senegal.

“These scary statistics have shown that the menace of bleaching creams in Nigeria has become a national health emergency that requires a multi-faceted regulatory approach,” [/b]Prof. Adeyeye said.

[b]She said that in response to these statistics, the Federal Government, through the office of the Secretary to the Government, Boss Mustapha, wrote to NAFDAC last year seeking stringent measures to be implemented against the menace.

According to her, the sensitization workshops in the six geo-political zones were part of the measures being taken.

“This sensitization workshop is a training of trainers program with the great expectation that participants will assume roles of champions in the vanguard of the campaign against the use of bleaching creams.

“I wish to assure you that NAFDAC will henceforth constantly engage the mass media as we strive to bring down to the grass levels the positive impact of our regulatory activities.

“Even though I have assigned some of my competent officers to carry out this training, it has become imperative for me to warn that some of the harmful effects of bleaching creams include cancer, damage to vital organs in the body, skin irritation and allergy, skin burn and rashes, wrinkles, premature ageing and prolonged healing of wounds,” she stated.

Also speaking, the former National President of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria, Ahmad Yakasai warned that the cases of bleaching among women folks and men, if not arrested, would create serious health cases in Nigeria.

The Director of Public Affairs of NAFDAC, Dr Abubakar Jimoh said the agency had only 3000 staff covering the entire federation of over 200 million people.

https://punchng.com/nafdac-declares-state-of-emergency-on-bleaching-among-nigerians/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1675973941

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by ATEAMS: 11:52am On Feb 10, 2023
Its about time ....

Too many chameleons and wall gecko's in the country. .. damn !

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by edlion57(m): 1:49pm On Feb 10, 2023
Whereas white man Der draw black tattoo to have black colour .... grin grin

55 Likes 10 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Jestin: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
😂. God bless us with the original fairness with yellow cap. Who bleaching don help ?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Davidzy23(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
Some people will not be happy to hear this

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Mophor: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
Issokay!!!
Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Blaze14k: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
Is that the most they can do.. why not put more effort on substandard drug and bad sacket water. I rare take sacket water these days cos the taste is so horrible and most of them are not treated properly

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by jimmyolasun: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
they need quarantine yoruba women and their men.. oloun grin

70 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by kenn4rill(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
Very urgent

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by b0rn2fuck(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
God don catch my ex Ibadan girlfriend

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by picaso313(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
cool
Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Hendrixky: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
Yeah
Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by SaturnNick(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
Good

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Agrico1: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2023
That gender is as confused as the CBN.

7 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Chienex24(m): 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
NAFDAC are just waking up from their slumber.... On a useless issue currently for that matter, when fake drugs are everywhere

3 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by christejames(m): 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
Long overdue...

I feel like barfing 🤮 whenever I see some of those bleached and toned girls 👭... To them, men are always attracted to the fair ones but for me? Even some guys are not left out in this 😏

I'm head over heels about the dark and black girls, I don't know why ☺... They mirth my heart ♥.

21 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by kiddkash(m): 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
Pesin no fit bleach in peace again

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by LAXconfidential(m): 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
Atiku the carowhite ambassador will not be happy about this news

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by BigDawsNet: 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
Are you a lady?

Like if you prefer light skin guy
Share if you prefer dark skin guy

7 Likes 14 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by SmartPolician: 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
NAFDAC no get work again! I swear grin

5 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Skty: 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
The DG sef de use cream

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Bosenan: 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2023
Finally, it's about time something was done about this. It goes by different names nowadays, toning, glowing up, lightning, organic etc etc , everybody be looking like ghosts nowadays, very off-putting.

Every corner shop is a bleaching cream house they even upgraded the name to organics, you see the sales ladies and you almost want to puke

22 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Otasikwe(m): 1:52pm On Feb 10, 2023
Some people from Ebs nd Crs will not like this

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by BloomingDale(f): 1:52pm On Feb 10, 2023
Why warn them? Leave them na. Let the sun and the cancers destroy them, like that of ekweramadu’s daughter. We don’t need such people in Nigeria. I’m annoyed that they are being warned.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by rottenegg: 1:52pm On Feb 10, 2023
Why do people even bleach or need their skin to be lighter? Black is beautiful!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians by Godstiger(m): 1:52pm On Feb 10, 2023
These are for dem african chinas

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / Simple Ways To Gain Healthy Weight / COVID-19: Union Bank Shuts Branch Over Employee’s Contact With Patient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.