Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep (2047 Views)

Sea Cow Caught In Muregi, Kin Nupe, Niger State (Pictures) / Ray Fish Caught Near The God's Island, Ibeno In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / A Hippopotamus Killed At Jebba, Niger State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 11:40pm On Feb 10, 2023
Before now, we don't have Internet at all. We have only mtn 2g that comes with only 1 bar.
It's so rural and remote with no road for hours that network providers decided they can never come in there for the villagers.

Here i am now... Thanks to starlink, I now browse on very good speed.

I am using the RV service (recreational) which means I can use it anywhere in Nigeria and in future, anywhere in Africa without changing service address like those using fixed residential service.
RV costs $53 while normal residential costs $43 in Nigeria.
RV can pause their payment but residential can never stop starlink from charging them whether they use it on not except they cancel their service totally or empty their bank balance.

Disadvantage with RV is that you get slower speeds compared to residential fixed people. You see I'm getting 60mbps while residential people get over 150mbps.

But I don't care. Even 10mbps is enough to stream Netflix on full HD. It's more than I need.

Lastly, I see many comparing starlink to their 5g or fibre in cities. Let it be made clear that STARLINK IS NOT FOR CITIES BUT FOR REMOTE AND RURAL AREAS
Starlink didn't do their service to compete with providers in cities. Even their site clearly says its for remote and rural areas.
But as per se, in Nigeria even our city internet providers are epileptic, that's why many are using it in Lagos and Abuja which shows that our networks are bad.

Men, thank you so much Elon musk for giving us this rare opportunity.

I can't believe I'm in a rural place, 4 hours from nearest civilisation, and I'm having high speed Internet. grin😍

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by fnep2smooth(m): 1:05am On Feb 11, 2023
How to you handle power issue
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by stanvesco(m): 1:05am On Feb 11, 2023
ask4bk:
Before now, we don't have Internet at all. We have only mtn 2g that comes with only 1 bar.
It's so rural and remote with no road for hours that network providers decided they can never come in there for the villagers.

Here i am now... Thanks to starlink, I now browse on very good speed.

I am using the RV service (recreational) which means I can use it anywhere in Nigeria and in future, anywhere in Africa without changing service address like those using fixed residential service.
RV costs $53 while normal residential costs $43 in Nigeria.
RV can pause their payment but residential can never stop starlink from charging them whether they use it on not except they cancel their service totally or empty their bank balance.

Disadvantage with RV is that you get slower speeds compared to residential fixed people. You see I'm getting 60mbps while residential people get over 150mbps.

But I don't care. Even 10mbps is enough to stream Netflix on full HD. It's more than I need.

Lastly, I see many comparing starlink to their 5g or fibre in cities. Let it be made clear that STARLINK IS NOT FOR CITIES BUT FOR REMOTE AND RURAL AREAS
Starlink didn't do their service to compete with providers in cities. Even their site clearly says its for remote and rural areas.
But as per se, in Nigeria even our city internet providers are epileptic, that's why many are using it in Lagos and Abuja which shows that our networks are bad.

Men, thank you so much Elon musk for giving us this rare opportunity.

I can't believe I'm in a rural place, 4 hours from nearest civilisation, and I'm having high speed Internet. grin😍

Bro please can I have your phone number. I want to make some enquiries abeg. Thank you
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 5:06am On Feb 11, 2023
fnep2smooth:
How to you handle power issue
I've offgrid 24/7 solar installed at home.
No nepa in area. NEPA don't even know we exist.

5 Likes

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 5:08am On Feb 11, 2023
stanvesco:

Bro please can I have your phone number. I want to make some enquiries abeg. Thank you
I don't have good network in my village. I can communicate now cos of Internet.

Pls ask any question here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by rottable(m): 6:44am On Feb 11, 2023
sorry for asking what exactly are you doing in those places,
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by SolarEngr(m): 8:22am On Feb 11, 2023
ask4bk:

I've offgrid 24/7 solar installed at home.
No nepa in area. NEPA don't even know we exist.

Nice one, Solar is the way.
Btw, I'm a Solar Engineer, you can visit the thread on my signature, you can find my contact on my profile.
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 12:20pm On Feb 11, 2023
rottable:
sorry for asking what exactly are you doing in those places,

We are a group of missionaries who try to bring civilisation and education to thousands of villagers. A work that government can't do for her rural people.

We teach children and adults how to speak and write hausa first, then how to read and write English. We pray with them and teach them our Christian faith too, but not compulsory since a majority are Muslims or people with no religion.

We don't gain from them. We are helping them and supported by people who think of supporting us with funds to do the work in these rural places for these people.

Yes, our life are at risk at times, but it's the cross we've to bear to help these people.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by stanvesco(m): 11:10pm On Feb 11, 2023
ask4bk:

I don't have good network in my village. I can communicate now cos of Internet.

Pls ask any question here

Okay. Thank you for the swift response. However I have some questions.

Can you hotspot other people, phones and devices?

How far is the coverage?

For example.....
If I was also living in your current location. Can I share your wifi? How far away can I live to benefit.

Is dia a place in the manual your starlinks came with that shows these specifications?

Reasons for my questions?
1. I want to know if it can cover atleast 100 people.
2. How far apart do they need to be
Thank you
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 5:41am On Feb 12, 2023
stanvesco:

Okay. Thank you for the swift response. However I have some questions.

Can you hotspot other people, phones and devices?

How far is the coverage?

For example.....
If I was also living in your current location. Can I share your wifi? How far away can I live to benefit.

Is dia a place in the manual your starlinks came with that shows these specifications?

Reasons for my questions?
1. I want to know if it can cover atleast 100 people.
2. How far apart do they need to be
Thank you

It can connect to 128 devices. So anyone can connect if you give them the password.

The radius for coverage from the router may not cover your entire house if very big due to wall obstructions. On open field it can go as far as 185m2, but the further you go the less connection you get, even if the less connection will still give u fast Internet.

In my house I use WiFi extenders and that's the best way to share it.
You get a WiFi extender to connect to the starlink router wireless and it'll extend to wider distance that the router may not reach. You can even still extend the extender again with another extender depending on how far you want to reach.

1 Like

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by stanvesco(m): 9:46am On Feb 12, 2023
ask4bk:

It can connect to 128 devices. So anyone can connect if you give them the password.

The radius for coverage from the router may not cover your entire house if very big due to wall obstructions. On open field it can go as far as 185m2, but the further you go the less connection you get, even if the less connection will still give u fast Internet.

In my house I use WiFi extenders and that's the best way to share it.
You get a WiFi extender to connect to the starlink router wireless and it'll extend to wider distance that the router may not reach. You can even still extend the extender again with another extender depending on how far you want to reach.

Thanks man. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by Nwaotu10(m): 7:35pm On Feb 12, 2023
Which of the villages are you in?
I have virtually explored all the rural areas of niger state looking for greener pastures.
From borgu, down to Pisen to
Tunga gbari
Tungan Sani
Kokani ETC.

If not for Igbo boys that brought business nearer to these people, they'd have been wiped out in the face of the earth.
Typical evil forest wey people just dey live say na their village grin grin

Chai! hustle don carry me waka Nigeria round oo
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 9:57pm On Feb 12, 2023
Nwaotu10:
Which of the villages are you in?
I have virtually explored all the rural areas of niger state looking for greener pastures.
From borgu, down to Pisen to
Tunga gbari
Tungan Sani
Kokani ETC.

If not for Igbo boys that brought business nearer to these people, they'd have been wiped out in the face of the earth.
Typical evil forest wey people just dey live say na their village grin grin

Chai! hustle don carry me waka Nigeria round oo

Na Borgu region i de oh. Near Benin République sef.
Na real desert bush oh.
My happiness is that they are responding positively to civilisation and education as much as possible.

E surprise me to see igbo men here too oh.
Hustle ehn

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by Nwaotu10(m): 12:05am On Feb 13, 2023
ask4bk:

Na Borgu region i de oh. Near Benin République sef.
Na real desert bush oh.
My happiness is that they are responding positively to civilisation and education as much as possible.

E surprise me to see igbo men here too oh.
Hustle ehn
Borgu is even town to compare to other villages.

First day wey me enter tungan sani, dem come dey look me like say I be oyibo. Anytime time wey I dey press phone like this ehh, dem go gather me grin grin grin
Chai!!!
Igbo boys full there dey find money.

Inside bush wey network nofit come even in the next 50 years grin grin
We even dey use bike enter Benin republic then.

2 Likes

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 7:08am On Feb 13, 2023
Nwaotu10:

Borgu is even town to compare to other villages.

First day wey me enter tungan sani, dem come dey look me like say I be oyibo. Anytime time wey I dey press phone like this ehh, dem go gather me grin grin grin
Chai!!!
Igbo boys full there dey find money.

Inside bush wey network nofit come even in the next 50 years grin grin
We even dey use bike enter Benin republic then.

I de near kigbera, you sabi am? E de near Benin Republic. Yes, due to being deep desert and Bush, network won't come here for next 20 years except there's a miracle.

2 Likes

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by Nwaotu10(m): 7:24am On Feb 13, 2023
ask4bk:

I de near kigbera, you sabi am? E de near Benin Republic. Yes, due to being deep desert and Bush, network won't come here for next 20 years except there's a miracle.
I know kigbera, I visited there many times in search of shea nut.

I am overjoyed to hear that Starlink has provided you with dependable network connectivity. The thought of you guys over there being able to stay connected effortlessly brings happiness to me. Back then, the only thing we do with phones is stream videos and music. No call network, no data network. grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 2:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
Nwaotu10:

I know kigbera, I visited there many times in search of shea nut.

I am overjoyed to hear that Starlink has provided you with dependable network connectivity. The thought of you guys over there being able to stay connected effortlessly brings happiness to me. Back then, the only thing we do with phones is stream videos and music. No call network, no data network. grin grin
Still like that till today. Starlink created a difference.

Thanks man for sharing with my joy

1 Like

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 2:06pm On Feb 13, 2023
I decided to connect to their 5 GHz WiFi and got better speed.
Not like I need all this speed sha.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by Nwaotu10(m): 4:13pm On Feb 13, 2023
ask4bk:

Still like that till today. Starlink created a difference.

Thanks man for sharing with my joy
YOU'RE WELCOME, SIR.
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by Nwaotu10(m): 4:14pm On Feb 13, 2023
ask4bk:
I decided to connect to their 5 GHz WiFi and got better speed.
Not like I need all this speed sha.
Mad oooo shocked shocked shocked
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 9:46am On Feb 16, 2023
Noticed that you get a high speed when connected to the 5 GHz WiFi compared to the 2.4 GHz.

I get between 150-300mbps on 5 GHz.

You can split both WiFi band on the app and give them two different names so that you be sure you connecting to 5 GHz.

2 Likes

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by dustmalik: 4:42pm On Feb 16, 2023
ask4bk:
Noticed that you get a high speed when connected to the 5 GHz WiFi compared to the 2.4 GHz.

You can split both WiFi band on the app and give them two different names so that you be sure you connecting to 5 GHz.

Getting almost 300Mbps on the RV is fantastic.

1 Like

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 6:42pm On Feb 16, 2023
dustmalik:

Getting almost 300Mbps on the RV is fantastic.

I'm surprised too.

Should be coz many are not in it yet and it's not congested for us yet

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by aieromon(m): 11:45pm On Feb 19, 2023
ask4bk:

I'm surprised too.

Should be coz many are not in it yet and it's not congested for us yet

Your dish installation on the Starlink thread brought me here.

Do you think it will be able to withstand heavy winds?
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by Fapemz: 9:35am On Feb 20, 2023
This is a game changer for many but the lack of backup power is a drawback for many and i expect they will produce an improve version later with back up power in mind.

I am a power solution expert and been providing back up power for Starlink setup for the early adopters. Our range of LFP power pack is ready to take the pain of Internet distruption due to power failure away. We are ready to serve you by giving you good value for your money

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 12:58pm On Feb 20, 2023
aieromon:

Your dish installation on the Starlink thread brought me here.

Do you think it will be able to withstand heavy winds?

Don't know oh. But it looks firm. I just hope it does. So far no wahala. I live in desert so there's constant sand wind and haven't been a problem, but rain wind could be. I will see by April when rain begins

2 Likes

Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by stack1(m): 2:56am On Mar 17, 2023
Interesting thread, nice and stay safe out there.

Never heard of those locations you're in, must be an experience.

As for starlink.. It's impressive so far, the issues with signal drops from weather and reduced speed compared to fiber should probably get better as they deploy more satellites and capacity.. It is a pretty recent product, so...

Thanks for the thread again
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by lilsamzy(m): 3:45pm On May 24, 2023
ask4bk:

Do u still get this speed? And what’s d average speed u get
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 5:07am On May 25, 2023
lilsamzy:

Do u still get this speed? And what’s d average speed u get

I still get over 200.
Just came into Abuja and got 200mbps again here though I'm using roam service
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by Acidosis(m): 7:42pm On May 25, 2023
ask4bk:

I still get over 200.

200mbps ?? Ah, and one fibre network here offers 5 Mbps for 15k/month 😪😭😭
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by lilsamzy(m): 9:27am On May 26, 2023
ask4bk:

I still get over 200.

Good to know. Also went for the roam plan hoping to get good speeds Mtn don frustrate my life
Re: My Starlink Nigeria Working In Most Rural Place Of Niger State, Near Benin Rep by ask4bk(m): 9:48pm On May 26, 2023
Acidosis:

200mbps ?? Ah, and one fibre network here offers 5 Mbps for 15k/month 😪😭😭

Ah ? 5??
Not even 20mbps?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 5 World Most Insane Drinks::::: / What Is The Best Tank With RBA Optional ? / Africa: Science And Technology Development; Pics, Articles And Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.